• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enderal, free RPG running on Skyrim engine is a must-play

Denton

So this game is kind of a masterpiece and one of the best RPGs of the last few years, it really should be getting mainstream recognition considering it is free (although you gotta own Skyrim, preferably SE version). It is also better than Skyrim in all the ways that matter (to me), specifically writing (the characters here are memorable, well defined), quest design, world design and character progression. In 70 hours of playtime (and I think I still have at least 50 ahead of me) I had no significant bugs and no crashes, either. You do not need Skyrim installed - the game is standalone, but you need to own it.

It has incredibly high quality full voice acting for every single character as well as its own, amazing soundtrack.

With a few KBs of ENB it looks gorgeous to boot.

Basically, if you enjoy open world first person RPGs with great writing and can handle Skyrim's engine (and have a PC), you should definitely play it.

Few shots I took in my playthrough so far:

976620_2022061521172339jcc.png

976620_202206112222532qjbz.png

976620_20220608024651hljrq.png

976620_20220608025433uhkqn.png

976620_20220611214830o4k3k.png
976620_20220611144933q5jc6.png
976620_20220615173502drkcd.png

976620_20220615203234sqj1w.png

976620_20220615175710pbkdi.png

976620_202206151715495njl8.png

976620_20220615172102mlkkp.png

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I remember first hearing about this years ago. Completely forgot about it.

I'll be installing it later tonight.

Denton

Sounds like it's worth a try. I've only got Skyrim VR tho so that probably rules me out
From what I read Enderal can be played in VR, but I am not sure if it works with VR version of Skyrim or it needs oldrim or SE.

Enderal is awesome. Unfortunately it didn't look quite that good when I played it :-(
I played first 20 hours vanilla Enderal SE. Then I applied the ENB and mindblown - game instantly looks two generations ahead. It does raise HW requirements though - without ENB I ran it in 4K, with ENB I dropped res to 1440p to keep 60fps.

Last edited:

Denton

I'll be installing it later tonight.
Mission accomplished. It is awesome though, seriously. And get that ENB, first four steps or so are enough (from the description of the mod I linked in OP), I didn't bother with the rest. Assuming you have good PC.

Can I be a stealth archer?

There is a rogue, warrior and mage skilltress, as well as werewolf and necromancer.
I am playing fireball chainlighting throwing mage (who sometimes uses twohanded sword).

I've been meaning to play this for years. Nehrim, the total conversion for Oblivion by the same mod team, is spectacular.

I remember wanting to play Nehrim back in the day but never gotten around to it.
I think I will install it after Enderal.

Could be wrong, but screenshots might have mods, that looks like Apachii Skyhair (to give one example).

I think Enderal has some mods integrated in itself. I used no mods aside from ENB.

There were talks to make this fully standalone. What happened to that?

I doubt it was ever going to be completely independent of Skyrim. It still uses its engine and some assets. The only way full standalone could happen is if Bethesda officially published it (which is unlikely, although if I was Todd Howard I would publish it commercially and hire the entire studio).

But this one works

Indeed, but the Oldrim version does not use multicore and has worse framerate and possibly stability. SE version is really recommended (I bought it purely for Enderal and have no regrets).

Damn, this is going to make me dig out my Steam password again. It never stays logged in for some reason. Usually after an update.
I don't need to install Skyrim just hit install on steam?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Do you have to download it through Steam or is there an direct option?

Denton

Do you have to download it through Steam or is there an direct option?
I think there was exe version of it but looking at the website they only list steam versions now

Which makes sense, steam makes everything (especially updating and mantaining the game) easier, for both players and devs.

TheMan

do you start out as a prisoner or slave on a ship in this one? Can't remember if I ever gave this one a spin

amigastar

I have it already installed and played for about 67 minutes. But i will try it again.

Last edited:
This work with the Game Pass version of Skyrim SE?

I do own Skyrim vanilla but that version of Enderal seems to have some issues like bugs, bad performance and worse visuals.

Last edited:
I really wish platforms like MS would reach out to the creators of projects like these, and work out a deal to put projects like these out as an official standalone release. Take an extra 5% cut as a license fee for using the creation engine.

Show me a single loose collection of modders and enthusiasts who wouldn't take an official bag of cash to put their free creation on Xbox.

ARK1391

I'm installing it now. Did not need to have Skyrim installed.
You do have to own it though.
Odd, why do you need to own the game but not have it installed? It uses the engine so I could see it needing Skyrim installed to run. But what's the significance of just owning it?

Zannegan

Sounds cool. Two questions:
1. How's the combat? Is it just ES bog standard with new skills or does it feel different?
2. Does it have Skyrim's BS scaling where a standard wolf could just be a wolf or an unkillable canine demigod depending on what level you were when you stepped into that zone?

• LOL
Reactions: Isa
Sounds cool. Two questions:
1. How's the combat? Is it just ES bog standard with new skills or does it feel different?
2. Does it have Skyrim's BS scaling where a standard wolf could just be a wolf or an unkillable canine demigod depending on what level you were when you stepped into that zone?
They have a comprehensive wiki with info on how character progression works. Some parts are similar but skills work very differently.

Enderal Wiki

Last edited:

Denton

I hope that Z has nothing to do with putler

1. Combat is mostly Skyrim. I am not a huge fan of Skyrim melee and I played Skyrim back in 2011 as a melee based character, so in Enderal I am playing mage and enjoying it. There are mods that can be applied to Enderal to change its melee combat but I didn't bother

2. No scaling at all from what I can tell. Enemies that used to kick my ass now get annihilated. It works like Gothic.

Top Bottom