• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enemy (2014) is such a solid film

enemy-poster-header.jpg

decided to rewatch this with the wife as she's never seen it.

after a rewatch, I think this might be my favorite Villeneuve film.

if you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend going in completely blind. don't watch the trailer and don't read anything about it. I actually recommend doing this for pretty much all movies but it is exceptionally important for this one.

for those of you who have seen it, where does it rank among Villeneuve's other films?

The very ending scene I was like wtf and seriously stared at the tv for a good 20 seconds, I didn't really get some stuff in that movie but I liked it though
I knew nothing would be explained but it still pissed me off that nothing was explained
my wife wanted to try to watch an explanation of the film once we finished it

we found this on youtube, I thought it was decent

It is perhaps Villeneuve's most shocking work, given how uncomfortable it can get. Sicario is also dark, but within confines you do already expect from war. Arrival has a neat twist, but it's more of a hypothetical fascination. Enemy has this oppressive feeling about it, and that ending is truly one of the most iconic and memorable endings of a movie I've ever seen. It's just perfect for the movie, even though the first reaction is a massive WTF.

SJRB

Gold Member
It's okay. You're clearly supposed to ponder the meaning of things that happen when the movie is over but the story just isn't that interesting, making the entire experience kind of hollow and lackluster.

It has one of the most insane jump scares in movie history though. And Gyllenhaal is incredible as always.

Overall I think Prisoners is much better.

nush

Gold Member
Just watched, not one for me to be honest, slow, sterile low light environments and the pay off is

Some weird wife swap and unexplained massive spider.

Anyway, keep the recommendations coming OP, the next one I might like.

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
It was good. I don't think I'd even put it in my top 3 Villeneuve (Blade Runner 2049, Dune, Prisoners) -- but it was enjoyable for a single watch. I don't think I'll watch it again, however.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Villeneuve tier list?!

08 Blade Runner 2049
07 Sicario
06 Dune
05 Prisoners
04 Arrival
03 Polytechnique
02 Incendies
01 Enemy

Don't get me wrong, I like Blade Runner and Dune a lot, I mean even if I rank them low here, they still rank very high if compared to most other films out there. It's just that I like his "auteur" stuff more I guess.

I haven't seen Maelstrom and August 32nd on Earth yet.

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Villeneuve tier list?!

08 Blade Runner 2049
07 Sicario
06 Dune
05 Prisoners
04 Arrival
03 Polytechnique
02 Incendies
01 Enemy

Don't get me wrong, I like Blade Runner and Dune a lot, I mean even if I rank them low here, they still rank very high if compared to most other films out there. It's just that I like his "auteur" stuff more I guess.

I haven't seen Maelstrom and August 32nd on Earth yet.

Putting Blade Runner 2049 at the bottom of your list, with a tag for being a "low level troll"

Emotion Reaction GIF

(I kid, I kid, I'm sure you have your reasons)

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Well it had to go somewhere, and honestly it is the movie of his that I remember the least about. I liked it when I watched it I'm sure.

Watched it this past weekend, what a trip. Watched a YouTube recap afterwards to confirm some of the questions I had. My girl was still talking about it the next day even. I don't know what I'd rate it.....it's kind of one of those films you can't give a traditional rating. I doubt I'd ever watch it again, I think I'd like to preserve my memory of it as is.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
definitely heavier on the philosophy side, so I enjoyed it and reading people's interpretations. Villeneuve's second best for me, behind arrival

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I love this film, largely because it has heavy echoes of David Lynch: two personas, one person, an immense dread of meeting his other half, and reality splintering when they come face to face.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Hell yeah man I fucking love Enemy, one of my favorite films. I call it Enemy (2013) :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Top Bottom