• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Environmental activists throw tomato soup over Van Goghs’ masterpiece Sunflowers

Bragr

Banned
I agree it will probably be harder for them to change. I do know they're making more nuclear power plants than before so that will help curb it. I do feel enough isn't being done in the states, either. We have a subset of Americans that will roll coal just because they don't even believe anything is wrong.
Yeah but I don't blame them, it's natural that some won't buy into it. I blame the poor information flow that hasn't been able to convince people.

You are not gonna turn someone by screaming at them that they are wrong, which is what the environmentalists are doing. Some politicians based their program around attacking the "idiots" and get votes for it.

You gotta explain what they got to lose in a way they can understand. It was the same thing with covid. People blaming each other for wrongdoings rather than talking. You can never convince someone if they are angry.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Holy shit was I pissed off before I read the painting was protected by glass. Fuck.
So this was some ploy to get a lot of eyes on them, and their message. I think it's backfired though, because all I can think right now is, boy, I'd sure like to burn some oil.

Winter John

Gold Member
Masterpiece? Really? It looks like something a 16 yr old emo chick would do. I get the feeling if cameras had been around in his day Van Gogh would've spent most of his time taking moody photos of trees

drganon

buttheads-idiots.gif

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Stop justifying idiots.

It’s always fine for some that cultural icons get defaced, until they come for your favorite piece of art or media.
The irony of being OK with potentially destroying a Van Gogh to make a point that’s been abundantly made already, only to scream murder when the voice actress of a relatively unknown video game character gets changed.

Holy shit was I pissed off before I read the painting was protected by glass. Fuck.
So this was some ploy to get a lot of eyes on them, and their message. I think it's backfired though, because all I can think right now is, boy, I'd sure like to burn some oil.
i get what they are fighting for but they are being fucking cunts about it. this kind of shit is only going to turn people against them instead of convincing people to join them.

it was the same for those people who decided to sit on roads to block cars because they wanted to fight for climate change or some shit. you sitting on a road stopping people getting to their work is not going to get people to join your cause. they will turn against you or run you over with their car.

i just saw on the news some other idiots went into a supermarket and opened milk jugs then poured it all over the floor. they want people to stop drinking fucking cow milk and move to plant based alternatives. again i get their point. i try to eat meat free and plant alternatives so in a way i support them but this is only going to piss people off and make people think we'll i'll fucking just drink cow milk you idiots!

Last edited:
A good protest will notify and inform the audience of what is going on. Not ruin people’s lives and days.

Had a protest outside of the hospital a few months back to fight back against the anti-abortion stuff - they just talked with folks and educated them about why abortion is OK and even had discussions with others. No one was troubled, people learned about stuff everyone grew. That is how it should be.

Last edited:
Another one:

Why are all these people always the weirdo types? Sometimes makes me feel they really might have some mental issue or are really well brainwashed to act like this and feel that they are managing to have some positive or meaningful impact on any cause.

Dude has the face of someone who is in his early 20s, but the body and hair of someone in their late 40s.

Hope he got tazed

Go_Ly_Dow

UK has considerably reduced CO2 emissions and emits less than 1% of the global emissions. These people are deranged, misguided and a meance and should get thrown behind bars for the disruption they cause hard working honest people. It's clear class warfare, largely well educated middle and upper class snobs who have the luxury of not working punishing the working masses.

Go_Ly_Dow

My time spent working in education in East Asia (Japan) made it somewhat clear that the Asian education and culture seen in countries like SK, JP etc... produces respectful but also generally apathetic youth.

Whilst Western education and culture produces much more radicals and also apathetic youth. Couple that with the issues we have from mass drug consumption and availability for both legal and illegal substances, I'd say we need to take a leaf out of East Asia's book in many respects on these matters if we want to preserve some sanity in people.

Last edited:
Two girls?

They don't even look like girls. People can do some really dumb shit. Like there are ways of protesting that doesn't require breaking or damaging property. I'm from South Africa and protests over there usually end up in the public starting to damage random shit. Quite a few protests are about poor service delivery but then they go trash government property that's supposed to deliver those services so who's going to end up having to fork out money to repair or replace said damaged property?
Fucking idiots.
/mini rant over

Like WTF is wrong with people.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Yet more trust fund Gemima' & Tarquins of the world, spending Mummy & Daddies money, to do productive things with their self entitled lives...

acm2000

the press showing them doing it, posing for pics etc, is giving them what they wanted, dont mention what they are supporting and dont show them at all.

fucking media idiot monkies

Cyberpunkd

And as expected, they were arrested.
Another victory for science:

A spokesperson for the museum said the painting was protected by glass and the museum later said it did not appear to have been damaged.

How about they chain themselves to fucking oil companies buildings and throw eggs at the executives?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Stop letting people carry food into galleries. And maybe if they have on orange safety vest, they might be a protestor.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I read that one of the people funding these “stop oil” folks is a great granddaughter of Getty. The oil magnet whose son was kidnapped and ear was cut off.

GymWolf

Another one:

Why are all these people always the weirdo types? Sometimes makes me feel they really might have some mental issue or are really well brainwashed to act like this and feel that they are managing to have some positive or meaningful impact on any cause.

What the fuck is he wearing??

Top Bottom