• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic account banned for cheating in fortnite...

anthony2690

Banned
Bit off a weird one.

Once upon a time, I purchased fortnite (£35 bundle) prior to battle royale even coming on Xbox one.

Battle Royale mode came out, in early access or whatever shortly after pubg on consoles, played two games realised fortnite and fortnite br just isn't for me (uninstalled the game, thought nothing about it)

Years later, fall guys gets a Xbox release date, plus sign up site for cosmetics for signing up etc.

Try signing up, get can't log in, your account is inactive message, message epic games, they have unbanned my account, but said I can't play fortnite as I got banned for cheating? (Not sure how this is possible?)

Not too fussed about not being able play fortnite, but pretty concerned that my account was most likely compromised without any sort warning & if I end up enjoying fall guys and I wouldn't like a repeat of this obviously.

Any ideas what can prevent this? Or how to get warnings if ANY of my accounts log in from somewhere they shouldn't?

As my Xbox account is pretty precious, when I consider the money spent on it (just got me a little worried about other accounts I have else where now)

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I've got in and set it up on the epic account as well now, went with using my mobile number, as I can't imagine anyone is getting in then. :)
There was a point where I received a message that someone tried to get into my account, which was random AF. I wasn't concerned because I didn't have anything on EGS yet, so I figured it was Fortnite related, even though I just opened the game once and deleted it. Did the 2FA thing since then and never had an issue ever since.

anthony2690

Banned
That's what all of you cheaters say.
Haha I know XD
But I've genuinely only played like two games off the early access beta of br, years ago, and never touched it or logged in since, so I was genuinely surprised when I was told my account was banned for cheating on fortnite.

On the plus side I've set up 2fa and I'll be able to enjoy fall guys in a month's time, so I'm happy now regardless, I have inquired with epic support for more details though.

So hopefully they will get back to me and inform me with further details :)

anthony2690

Banned
That's what all of you cheaters say.
cheater cheater wife beater
WfXBRf1.png

Ozriel

M$FT
Not a single one, I only game on console, so there has not been a reason for me to claim the free games :)

Man, just add them anyway. I usually game on console (even though I’ve got a capable PC) but now my Steamdeck is on the way, bolstering my PC library is now a priority. You might get something in that form factor down the line.

I had something similar happen to me. I was somehow IP banned from Fortnite having played all of... two games of it on my Switch? But it also affected my EGS account. Spent weeks with CS trying to get that resolved and fortunately as I didn't just let it slide once their investigation finished and deemed me "guilty" they actually must've looked at the stats from the linked account to notice that I was not a Fortnite player whatsoever.

I now have 2FA enabled just for the security of it. Whilst not infallible, it certainly throws up enough roadblocks to prevent hacks.

anthony2690

Banned
Total bans are really a new way of theft. If you gonna ban my whole account then refund the whole catalogue I've paid for. Online bans for that specific game is understandable, but a total ban with all your games blocked? That should be illegal.
I am all for banning cheaters as they ruin games.

That being said, when they first unbanned my account, They mentioned the account was still banned from fortnite, I escalated this even though I don't play the game because I am not a cheater and kinda just wanted to clear myself haha.

But justice has prevailed and they have seen I have never cheated.

JCK75

Bit off a weird one.

Once upon a time, I purchased fortnite (£35 bundle) prior to battle royale even coming on Xbox one.

Battle Royale mode came out, in early access or whatever shortly after pubg on consoles, played two games realised fortnite and fortnite br just isn't for me (uninstalled the game, thought nothing about it)

Years later, fall guys gets a Xbox release date, plus sign up site for cosmetics for signing up etc.

Try signing up, get can't log in, your account is inactive message, message epic games, they have unbanned my account, but said I can't play fortnite as I got banned for cheating? (Not sure how this is possible?)

Not too fussed about not being able play fortnite, but pretty concerned that my account was most likely compromised without any sort warning & if I end up enjoying fall guys and I wouldn't like a repeat of this obviously.

Any ideas what can prevent this? Or how to get warnings if ANY of my accounts log in from somewhere they shouldn't?

As my Xbox account is pretty precious, when I consider the money spent on it (just got me a little worried about other accounts I have else where now)

When people dismiss my hatred for Games going exclusive to EGS, it's because this happened to ANYONE who used Epic in the past.. your info was compromised at least a dozen times.
I changed my password the moment I realized my shit was out there, but all they needed to keep me out of my account was my email and all they had to do was fail to sign in regularly and i'd be
unable to use my account so long as they kept trying.

manfestival

had my inactive account on epic and other things banned before because of people using my account that got my login information. Started using 2fa after these things occurred and it hasn't happened since

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've got in and set it up on the epic account as well now, went with using my mobile number, as I can't imagine anyone is getting in then. :)

That's by far the least secure method, as text messages can easily be intercepted if someone were to target you. Now, that's unlikely here, but yeah.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
That's by far the least secure method, as text messages can easily be intercepted if someone were to target you. Now, that's unlikely here, but yeah.
i used to have sms codes and have read a lot of stories about people getting hacked even with that. i set up the 2FA to require a time based code that i get from a password app. if you have an iphone it has built in 2FA with time based code generation but you can use apps like MS/google authenticator or Authy.

my epic, nintendo, microsoft, and sony accounts have all been switched over to it. it's quite easy to set up. it's no more inconvenient than getting an sms/email code.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
i used to have sms codes and have read a lot of stories about people getting hacked even with that. i set up the 2FA to require a time based code that i get from a password app. if you have an iphone it has built in 2FA with time based code generation but you can use apps like MS/google authenticator or Authy.

my epic, nintendo, microsoft, and sony accounts have all been switched over to it. it's quite easy to set up. it's no more inconvenient than getting an sms/email code.

Yes, that's much more secure.

BreakOut

I made an epic account and within an hour of creating it my iPhone alerted me that there was a data leak and the password was compromised. I changed it and within an hour it was compromised again. I’ve got no tips other than tell Epic to get better security and use 2FA.

Mr.ODST

Tell them to release a new Unreal Tournament or GAF will cancel them
Was at a chat with one of the first producers of Fortnite and one of the oldschool devs on UT & head at Epic and I asked the question, he said its never going to happen there is just no pull for a UT Type game anymore especially when Fortnite is making absolute bank

BreakOut

Was at a chat with one of the first producers of Fortnite and one of the oldschool devs on UT & head at Epic and I asked the question, he said its never going to happen there is just no pull for a UT Type game anymore especially when Fortnite is making absolute bank
Tell them if they don’t we will send old Gregg the scaley man fish.
I watched the video now it’s stuck in my head.

Top Bottom