• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic acquires Horizon Chase Turbo developer Aquiris to work on Fortnite (Will become Epic Games Brazil)

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
horizon-chase-2-screen.jpeg

Epic Games has gripped another studio in a permanent money hug, this time acquiring Horizon Chase Turbo developer Aquiris to work on Fortnite.

The Brazil-based Aquiris was founded in 2007 and went on to develop the well-received Wonderbox: The Adventure Maker and Looney Tunes World of Mayhem for mobile, as well as its retro-inspired arcade racer Horizon Chase which released in 2015.

A much-expanded - and critically acclaimed - follow-up, Horizon Chase Turbo, arrived in 2018, whisking the series from mobile to PC and consoles, and Aquiris launched a third entry in the series, Horizon Chase 2, on Apple Arcade at the end of last year.

Aquiris first linked arms with Epic in early 2022, when the Fortnite maker invested an undisclosed amount in the studio and signed a publishing deal to produce a number of games. And now, Epic has announced it's acquired Aquiris outright for an undisclosed sum, renaming it Epic Games Brasil - the company's first Latin America studio.

Unfortunately, it seems Epic's previous multi-game aspirations for Aquiris are no more, with today's announcement saying the studio will now "leverage [its] experience using Unreal Engine on game development to contribute to the future of Fortnite".

GHG

Fortnite is amazing dude. I play it every day solo and with friends ever since they added No Build (yes I am awful at building) game has perfect gameplay though and stays fresh every reason. Best cosmetics ever too. More Fortnite = good.

We just lost yet another one of the few development studios that were still making legitimately good arcade racing games.

Fortnite would have been fine without them.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
We just lost yet another one of the few development studios that were still making legitimately good arcade racing games.

Fortnite would have been fine without them.
Hopefully at least they will be adding some meaningful racing experiences in Fortnite (the platform) not Battle Royale.

iorek21

This is the first major company to be active in Brazil since a long time (I think Ubisoft had a studio here).

Happy to hear it.

This is the first major company to be active in Brazil since a long time (I think Ubisoft had a studio here).

Happy to hear it.
I am happy that there are more and more countries joining the game dev world. But doing work on Fortnite instead of whatever they would have cooked themselves? It is what it is, they at least should have a secure job for a while then, but meh.

Reactions: Gp1

00_Zer0

Love the Horizon Chase series. What a loss for the arcade racer genre. I understand them wanting security in a volatile gaming market. The gaming industry is tough nowadays, but if I was a developer I would jump ship if I had to work on the same game for the rest of my life.

Another studio bites the dust, relegated to be a Fortnite support studio. Not a bad thing per se but it's somewhat of a loss.

Robb

Gold Member
Welp, that sucks. Kind of the same thing that happened to Toys For Bob becoming another cog in the CoD-machine..

Skifi28

If Fortnite ever fails or slows down, I wonder how many studios will be going down.

Last edited:

iorek21

I am happy that there are more and more countries joining the game dev world. But doing work on Fortnite instead of whatever they would have cooked themselves? It is what it is, they at least should have a secure job for a while then, but meh.

Yeah, it's not ideal, same with Vicarious Visions and Beenox turning into COD support teams. Sad to say but the protective umbrellas of these big companies is just too safe to refuse, which is comprehensible somewhat.

Top Bottom