• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Store reaches 230 million accounts and 68 million active users

Draugoth

Gold Member
Epic Games recently revealed its 2022 data, bringing a lot of interesting information about its store growth over the last year and also what it expects in the future.

The company announced that its platform reached 230 million users on PC, with nearly 725 million cross-platform accounts counting players on other platforms. The number of active users per month reached 68 million in December 2022.

image.png

IMG_5522.png

IMG_5523.png

And most importantly, the weekly free games continue, so people can get free games on the Epic plattform:

IMG_5524.png

Some more interesting tidbits:
The company is also planning to add support for subscription services from third-party publishers, meaning the Epic Games Store could offer programs like EA Play, Ubisoft Plus, and "hopefully PC Game Pass," according to Allison. He even mentioned that the store could offer the Unity development engine, which competes directly with Epic's own Unreal Engine.

Spyxos

That's a lot more than I would have thought. I was thinking more along the lines of.

tumbleweed GIF

Last edited:

Denton

355M spend on third party games (and that number includes VAT and taxes, so it is in fact lower) with 230M users = ~$1.5+ average spend per user. No improvement over last year.
And it is spread over lot more games (1,548 vs 922 last year). So even less money spent by people per game.

Epic is still not really making any money from EGS, even 5 years after its inception. That's hilarious.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Saints Row being in legendary category and reports how awful it did for the publisher commercially sends a really conflicting message

Pejo

Down 2% on player spend? Yeesh. And I don't know if that "top titles" section is in order, but Genshin has a standalone PC client and the obvious mobile clients, so I can't imagine the EGS version accounting for even 1/10th of total spend for that game.

Topher

Gold Member
For me, Epic remains a distant afterthought. I think I've probably bought games on Steam that I already got for free on EGS and just didn't think to even check. Hell....EGS isn't even installed on my computer. It's just a nothing store.

Stuart360

They made less money than last year, and are counting “consumer spend” money.

Not looking too good for Epic, but keep the freebies coming Tim.

68 million active users*

*Active every Thursday 😂
The thing is you're probably right. Myself i just logged in today for the first time in a couple of weeks (forgot last weeks freebie).

Atleast with Steam they do their monthly users by the people that buy a game, download a game, or play a game, in that month.
Who wants to bet Epic judge it by users that log into Epic that month lol.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
They just have to make launcher quicker, that should be the main goal. I really don't understand why this is so hard to achieve. I got a lot of free games from it, I bought a lot of games too. I didn't encounter any major problems while playing games. I'm so glad that Steam has a competitor.

Sentenza

These are once again abysmal numbers.

And keep in mind that it's "money spent", not profit. When you consider that they allegedly keep just the 12% of that sum, the picture becomes dreadful.

I was going to calculate how little they profit per customer, but on a second thought let's be real: they aren't profiting at all. Chances are they are still losing money.

Last edited:
Giving away games gets you "active" users, but it won't get them to spend money. If I see something I want on the EGS my first thought isn't "maybe I should buy this" but "I bet they'll let me have it for free sooner or later".

Sentenza

Giving away games gets you "active" users, but it won't get them to spend money. If I see something I want on the EGS my first thought isn't "maybe I should buy this" but "I bet they'll let me have it for free sooner or later".
"And if it isn't free I'm buying it elsewhere".

Goalus

I created my Steam account in 2010 and have amassed 5 games since then.
I created my EGS account in 2021 and have collected 6 games since then.

Should I ever decide to buy any PC games outside the MS Store, I will probably pick the Epic Store.

EN250

Without the weekly free games I wouldn't have even bothered to create an account there tbh, I'm sure I'm not alone 🤷‍♂️

Fbh

"Ok Epic but how many people have actually bought something that's not microtransactions for a F2P game?"
"Yes"

Last edited:

ZehDon

I bought Tiny Tina's Wonderland on Epic, and the whole experience was fine - but it highlighted how much I just don't think about Epic, because I forgot I own that game completely until I recently mis-clicked and opened their launcher accidentality. Turns out, I have an enormous backlog of games on Epic thanks to their free games - but I don't play any of them, because Epic is still a complete afterthought, and I barely remember it exists.

fermcr

Free games helped a lot... but after that, I've actually purchased quite a few games on Epic store, specially during summer and winter sales when they offer a coupon on top of the sales.
Nowadays I purchase more games on Epic then Steam.

Drew1440

Good to see some competition in the PC store space, but they are still lacking essential features that steam had in 2009.

Steam has over a billion accounts created with only a tenth active. Is that worse?

Are we going to pretend steam didn't have a vastly better ratio for years and only got where it is now because it had a massive blow up for years after those years?

EGS is not in the same position.

Lasha

Are we going to pretend steam didn't have a vastly better ratio for years and only got where it is now because it had a massive blow up for years after those years?

EGS is not in the same position.

Are you going to pretend that what you wrote is a response to the question that I asked? I agree with your statement though. Monopolists are generally considered to be in the best possible position in a market.

Barakov

Epic Games recently revealed its 2022 data, bringing a lot of interesting information about its store growth over the last year and also what it expects in the future.

The company announced that its platform reached 230 million users on PC, with nearly 725 million cross-platform accounts counting players on other platforms. The number of active users per month reached 68 million in December 2022.

And most importantly, the weekly free games continue, so people can get free games on the Epic plattform:

IMG_5524.png

Some more interesting tidbits:
A lot of free games will do that.

Sentenza

Steam has over a billion accounts created with only a tenth active. Is that worse?
Steam counts as "active accounts" only the ones that 1) have valid purchases on 2) have logged at least once in the last month.
And the last number they gave in that sense was around 130 million months ago, before they broke their record for daily concurrent users three or four time since.

I assure you that if EGS was going with the same parameters these numbers would look a lot worse. ESPECIALLY once you ignored the overwhelming majority coming from Fortnite players.

What's arguably a more useful comparison, thought, is that you have individual top sellers on Steam (i.e. Hogwarts Legacy) that single-handedly generated more revenues than the entirety of the third party titles on the EGS.
And Steam is overall VERY profitable, not a money sink.

Top Bottom