• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN loses over 3 million subscribers over the past year

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Thats not what happened so much, I don't think. For one, people were never interested in the 24/7 aspect of ESPN. People didn't tune to ESPN because they were talking sports all the time, they tuned in a precise moments of live sports action.

I suspect what happened is many people realized they should share online logins and still have enough access to those live sports moments, or have flat-out turned to illegal streaming services, especially if this is true of the cord-cutting crowd. The 30 and under crowd isn't unfamiliar with such sites. I remember they were everywhere when I was in college.

I know so many people who say they'd subscribe to an online version of ESPN separate from the cable tv just for live sports. It's crazy how there is an obvious product out there that people want, and the conglomerates just can't put it together.

People can get Sling or Playstation Vue to get ESPN for about $30/month (along with other cable channels). ESPN is making moves towards a stand alone watchespn app as well.

AColdDay

ESPN went down the drain. For me it started with Brett Favre and then Tim Tebow.

Yes, for all of the people lamenting about how cord-cutting is the primary reason for the abandonment of ESPN you neglect to factor in how terrible in quality the actual channel has become.

I believe that several brands have made the exact same mistake ESPN has: user growth at the expense of the core mission of the brand. ESPN is supposed to be the world leader in sports, but instead of focusing on that mission, they saw something that worked (Pardon the Interruption) and built the entire channel around that.

Loud, flamboyant personality driven content is like salt in a recipe, it works as a counter-point to the other flavors of the recipe to bring out the best flavor. However, ESPN's current product offering is nothing but salt and no one wants to eat that.

Krejlooc

Banned
People can get Sling or Playstation Vue to get ESPN for about $30/month (along with other cable channels). ESPN is making moves towards a stand alone watchespn app as well.

but you're still buying a package of about 30-50 channels at the low and middle tiers. There is a market out there for people who just want to buy the channel ala cart, by itself, period.

Playstation VUE only works on PS3, PS4, and Amazon Fire. It doesn't even work on regular android.

johnny956

but you're still buying a package of about 30-50 channels at the low and middle tiers. There is a market out there for people who just want to buy the channel ala cart, by itself, period.

Playstation VUE only works on PS3, PS4, and Amazon Fire. It doesn't even work on regular android.

Works on Roku and Android devices now

IISANDERII

$30 for something which has a constant barrage of advertisements. How much greed is possible?? I think ESPN will be fine, they could give it to the viewer for free and still make loads of money. Oh the dickface execs will have to fuck off for that to happen

Allforce

Thats not what happened so much, I don't think. For one, people were never interested in the 24/7 aspect of ESPN. People didn't tune to ESPN because they were talking sports all the time, they tuned in a precise moments of live sports action.

I suspect what happened is many people realized they should share online logins and still have enough access to those live sports moments, or have flat-out turned to illegal streaming services, especially if this is true of the cord-cutting crowd. The 30 and under crowd isn't unfamiliar with such sites. I remember they were everywhere when I was in college.

I know so many people who say they'd subscribe to an online version of ESPN separate from the cable tv just for live sports. It's crazy how there is an obvious product out there that people want, and the conglomerates just can't put it together.

Anecdotal but I share a login with my brother-in-law just to catch certain games on WatchESPN app, but your point about outright illegal streaming really hits. I know at least 5 families, all of which are not tech savvy in the slightest way turn to those pre-programmed Android boxes with Kodi baked right in and just use those for all their programming.

It's funny because they all think they've just hit the jackpot ("We watched Finding Dory last night at home!") and have no realization that it's just Piracy for Dummies. I can't really judge since I have Kodi installed on a FireTV and definitely have used it to watch some sporting events I couldn't get otherwise (UFC, NHL, etc) but the fact that it seems so commonplace now is pretty telling.

I mean you can buy a jail-broken Amazon FireTV stick, ON AMAZON, for roughly 20 bucks more than a regular Amazon FireTV stick.

Mr. X

Anyone can get in front of a camera and argue sports thanks to streaming sites. ESPN needs to do something else, Get more players and coaches on air, more period pieces and fascinating stories, more sports, more content that would hard to create or get anywhere else.

this_guy

Monday NIght Football is the biggest draw for ESPN, but the NFL has moved the premier match up to Sunday nights since you don't need cable to watch it. MNF isn't as bad as Thursday night games but outside of that the only reason I would watch is because of fantasy football.

Chichikov

As long as ESPN has Hubie Brown and Jeff Van Gundy calling NBA games there is no way their live coverage will be bottom tier. They are much better than Reggie Miller on TNT and whoever calls the NBA TV games.
I like Hubie Brown, but TNT puts a much better product in my mind, and it's not even that close (though it's probably closer to the competition than their baseball and football offerings).

Levyne

Banned
I'm asking, would ESPN in 4K be enough reason to subscribe back?

So I can watch Sportscenter in 4k?

Edit: That's more snark than I intended, but outside of some playoff basketball, I feel like there's not enough live sports on ESPN that I'm interested in to make it worthwhile.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
A basic box is generally free or very cheap. A HD one is more expensive, and a DVR is more expensive still. Again, options that make it more expensive, despite being nearly ubiquitous.

I got a question

why the fuck is HD an extra cost in 2016?

at this point they might as well go "well the basic converter box is in black and white, if you want color you have to pay extra"

A basic box is generally free or very cheap. A HD one is more expensive, and a DVR is more expensive still. Again, options that make it more expensive, despite being nearly ubiquitous.

Why even bother making the distinction? People don't buy HD TV's to watch programming in SD. You know it, I know it, we know it and these cable TV providers know it. So they gouge consumers with the box. And god forbid you want to record some of these programs! That'll be a $15-$20/month box rental.

Fuck all of that nonsense.

StMeph

The problem with ESPN is that its model is unsustainable, but their contractual obligations prevent it from pivoting easily or cleanly.

There's a large number of people on cable who would love to cut out ESPN and pay a lower cable bill. There's a number of people who want ESPN, but are only willing to pay up to $X for it, X being lower than what ESPN needs to continue operating as it does now. As noted already, a separate online/a ala carte service for streaming ESPN kicks in a bunch of other provisions in other contracts.

ESPN is in a slow death spiral, but there's not a lot it can do unless it takes a hard look at renegotiating existing contracts and its programming for millennials.

Not into sports myself but I'm not surprised this is happening. My brother is a diehard sports fanatic but even he has said recently that he's considering dropping ESPN. It's apparently too costly and is too limited in scope at the moment. Sounds like some higher ups just aren't with the times.

Gonna go to his house to see Street Fighter V top 8

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
So I can watch Sportscenter in 4k?

Edit: That's more snark than I intended, but outside of some playoff basketball, I feel like there's not enough live sports on ESPN that I'm interested in to make it worthwhile.

Perhaps that's the actual problem. ESPN paid too much for sports events that not many people would consider worth subscribing for. If that's the case, even if every event was 4K, it wouldn't make a difference in terms of subscribers.

I'm surprised. I thought the prospect of watching monday night football in 4K would have more traction.

Schlep

As mentioned above there are alternatives to the cable company cable boxes. Tivo is one. Being a Tivo owner, I much prefer this approach where not everything is bundled into the cable price, as I am not interested in subsidizing boxes for everyone else.

If someone wants a fancy HD DVR box from the cable company, let them pay for it. I do hope for more open standards, so that there is more competition on the boxes, but I prefer things to be itemized the way they are now.
Let's not pretend like TiVo is cheap. You have to buy the box, pay Verizon $6 a month for cable card, and pay TiVo $15 a month for guide data.

FLEABttn

Banned
ESPN paid too much for sports events that not many people would consider worth subscribing for.

This is true and not true. You have to remember that ESPN for a long time was effectively a monopsony until 2006ish. If you wanted eyeballs on your sport at a national level, you pretty much had to play ball with ESPN. With Comcast/NBC, CBS, and Fox all wanting the sports market (a TV market seen as more stable than non-sports programming, less likely to record/DVR, more likely to watch commercials), sports broadcast contract values exploded. Everyone not ESPN was willing to overpay to get marketshare, and ESPN had to be both choosey about what they were willing to go after but still had to pay going rates for content. So while it's true that ESPN is overpaying relative to the kind of returns (or non-returns) they're getting, it's in line with what everyone else is willing to pay for these contracts as well.

I'm hesitant to say ESPN is in a death spiral because everyone has the same problem ESPN has to some degree. ESPN is just the giant that everyone knows so their struggles are getting more scrutiny than say those of CBS Sports Network, which captures so few eyeballs that they don't pay Nielsen to figure out how many people actually watch the network, or NBC and its Olympics contracts which never seems to actually make them money.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Let's not pretend like TiVo is cheap. You have to buy the box, pay Verizon $6 a month for cable card, and pay TiVo $15 a month for guide data.

Definitely not free. But far better long term. And Verizon charges $6? Comcast gives you the first card for free (essentially your first "box").

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

TiVo Lifetime service is pretty easy to acquire, especially if you buy a used box.

But usually lifetime + box + Tivo's multiroom service with a mini ends up paying for itself within a couple years, if not sooner.

6 bucks a month from Verizon is extortion though.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
This is true and not true. You have to remember that ESPN for a long time was effectively a monopsony until 2006ish. If you wanted eyeballs on your sport at a national level, you pretty much had to play ball with ESPN. With Comcast/NBC, CBS, and Fox all wanting the sports market (a TV market seen as more stable than non-sports programming, less likely to record/DVR, more likely to watch commercials), sports broadcast contract values exploded. Everyone not ESPN was willing to overpay to get marketshare, and ESPN had to be both choosey about what they were willing to go after but still had to pay going rates for content. So while it's true that ESPN is overpaying relative to the kind of returns (or non-returns) they're getting, it's in line with what everyone else is willing to pay for these contracts as well.

I'm hesitant to say ESPN is in a death spiral because everyone has the same problem ESPN has to some degree. ESPN is just the giant that everyone knows so their struggles are getting more scrutiny than say those of CBS Sports Network, which captures so few eyeballs that they don't pay Nielsen to figure out how many people actually watch the network, or NBC and its Olympics contracts which never seems to actually make them money.

Bingo. The Giant is going to be just fine. People won't stop watching ESPN or live sporting events. No way, no how. The model may change, and sports may not make quite as much money, but they aren't going away.

What is really screwed are all the tiny guys. They are the ones that truly survive off the cable model. If that goes away, they may not be able to get enough ala carte customers to be on their own. Can Lifetime or Spike or whatever survive if it isn't just in your feed all the time like it is on cable?

In some ways, the bigger streaming services have the same thing as cable --- you pay for HBO Now to get Game of Thrones, but you also get a bunch of other stuff HBO pays for. If HBO put out a smaller Game of Thrones subscription, would people rather pay for that?

Amusingly, the cable model is basically exactly what these new platforms (Netflix, HBO Now) are doing, except they do it on a program basis versus cable's channel basis.

Overall though - I think the ease of use of streaming (on demand, no commercials, high-quality) is one thing hurting cable badly, and the other is the high amount of content available (supply is high, with Netflix alone you can watch tons of things) - have reduced the price people are willing to pay for content in both a hoops (having to record on a DVR, watch at a certain time) and dollar amount (the price of cable).

Not surprising. ESPN is bottom tier for sports coverage. If your an MLB fan, MLB Network is leagues above what ESPN offers. And covers more than just a few teams like ESPN does.

Same goes if your into the NFL, NBA, there are dedicated channels just for their respective sport that is way above what ESPN offers nowadays.

NBA TV is terrible compared to ESPN and is easily the worst of the league dedicated channels. They were so bad they handed production over to Turner Sports which is why you see them adding Barkley, Kenny, and Shaq to random shows. They can barely get people on for video interviews as often it's just a picture of them on the screen. The post game shows are treated like afterthoughts as often you have no idea who will be in the studio. Sometimes it's Steve Smith, other times its Dennis Scott, and if those two aren't there they bring in random fill ins.

Sometimes NBA TV doesn't even have a dedicated broadcast crew, they just air a local feed and if it's a Cavs or Celtics game you are subjected to some of the worst homers you will come across in any sport.

But just ignoring ESPN, if you cut cable you don't get the TNT games which are usually the best of the week and has the best pre/post game show.

Subitai

I remember reading about how Michael Eisner was not too keen on ESPN when Disney bought ABC, because they aggregate content and didn't create it like with the studios and theme parks. Despite that, ESPN itself today is more than 50% of Disney profit wise because they're getting subscription revenue on top of ad revenue. That's why almost all sports programming that could be moved to ESPN from ABC was.

Long term, I don't know if the smaller competitors can survive overpaying, but live sports also keeps getting so much more valuable to advertisers it kind of off sets things. The other thing is ESPN's ubiquity keeps leagues from being able to drop ESPN completely. You don't wanna end up like the NHL at the mercy of where NBC can find a place for you. More stuff is going online, but as you guys have pointed out, it isn't easy to get production teams in place.

The only possible threat I can see down the line would be if MLB sold their streaming business to one of ESPN's competitors. Then ESPN would be behind in the streaming migration and lose a lot of influence in the process.

n0razi

Oh really? Mind shooting me a link? My dad will be happy to hear this, he uses PS Vue as his "cable TV" and has been looking into buying amazon fire sticks.

I would highly advise against Fire Sticks... it works but the performance is terrible (constant 2-3 second lag everytime you change channels, etc)... get a full blown FireTV or Roku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom