• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Estimated 2021 console sales numbers

reksveks

These are estimates of the number of consoles that got to end consumers. That's the difference between these numbers and Sony's one.

As always, these are estimates so take with a pinch of salt.

I need to check against software/hardware/total revenue numbers that we have.

Some insights
Estimated console split 1.91:1
Total revenue split for 2021: 1.63:1
Hardware revenue split* for 2021: 2.01:1
Software and services split* for 2021:1.41:1

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Damn..another Sony win thread today.
Green Bay Packers Text Back GIF by Martellus Bennett's Text Back Pack

Last edited:

Kilau

MS doesn’t release any numbers right?

Sony should update after the holidays and Nintendo but given the current production issues the whole situation is abnormal.

Surprised to see xss is 50 percent of the consoles sold in certain markets. Probably has to do with availability, you can go to a store and find an xss, but rarely an xbsx I imagine. It can also explain why there is high digital sales on Xbox side.

Last edited:

Arioco

Series S is outselling Series X because MS is producing more units. In my country for instance you can buy a Series S whenever you want, but it's almost impossible to get a Series X, when it's available for purchase (which is not very often) it only lasts a few minutes. But I think way more people would like to get a Series X than a Series S.

FrankWza

Series S is outselling Series X because MS is producing more units. In my country for instance you can buy a Series S whenever you want, but it's almost impossible to get a Series X, when it's available for purchase (which is not very often) it only lasts a few minutes. But I think way more people would like to get a Series X than a Series S.
Someone else wrote about this being a production choice vs a supply constraint. Otherwise, yeah, it would be like an 80/20 split. Big asterisk next to s sales

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Same here, I also seen an promo for some TV (I believe LG C1) where you get XSS for 1CZK (~1/25 of €)

REDRZA MWS

Console sales are irrelevant and have been for a while. Once MS finally figured out how to incorporate every Windows 10 (and 11) PC’s so strongly into the fold with Game Pass Ultimate and cross buy, cross play, cross progression/saves, the install base is MS’s walking away.

Companies are counting total profit, not pieces of plastic. I guess it’s interesting for immature fanboy drivel.

Last edited:
MS doesn’t release any numbers right?

Sony should update after the holidays and Nintendo but given the current production issues the whole situation is abnormal.
No, at least not since they've been behind, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to figure out rough estimates.

I'm curious how Sony has managed to produce almost double the amount of consoles as Xbox, seeing both are still supply constrained.

So 6 people walk into a store, 4 walk out with PS5s, 1 with a XSX and one with a XSS? Where the hell are all thes PS5s?

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
it will be really nice to see the availability this Xmas, i know sony said they are shipping more units to the UK, saying that they will probably be snapped up as they appear, i guess the demand is going to outstrip supply for a very long time, maybe years.

the model is different although Sony will sell x4 times what Ms will. They will never ever have the user reach Ms have already today. For this reason Sony will release everything on pc
Looking at Sony's revenue every quarter and how it also almost doubles Xbox it's not like Sony need to release on PC or have the user reach MS has apparently.
That said, having these games restricted to a single platform is such an outdated concept in 2021...and Sony knows that.

I will never stop playing on consoles but i really can see why both MS and Sony are doing what they are doing.

kingfey

Banned
Looking at Sony's revenue every quarter and how it also almost doubles Xbox it's not like Sony need to release on PC or have the user reach MS has apparently.
That said, having these games restricted to a single platform is such an outdated concept in 2021...and Sony knows that.

I will never stop playing on consoles but i really can see why both MS and Sony are doing what they are doing.
Sony relies on 3rd party games. With gamepass, expect their revenue to get hit.

We saw D1 3rd party games on the service.

Also most of Playstation revenue comes from mtx, dlc 30% cut. higher numbers, more number. Ps5 doesnt have that luxary this gen.

Sanepar

You will because in 1 or 2 gen max there will be no more consoles, only clouds and services available.

oldergamer

I personally think these numbers don't really have much weight. Selling hardware is a means for selling software. Nothing more. Its the reason MS decided to release day 1 on PC.

Gamepass subs combined with PC/console sales is doing well for them. since the first xbox console MS has done a good job with game attach rate.

I guess what I'm saying is high console sales, doesn't translate directly to higher software sales in all instances. Until last gen, it was the only way to measure the sales potential for titles. There are 100+ million PS4 systems but not a single game that has hit 50 million units on the platform to my knowledge.

sircaw

Banned
I personally think these numbers don't really have much weight. Selling hardware is a means for selling software. Nothing more. Its the reason MS decided to release day 1 on PC.

Gamepass subs combined with PC/console sales is doing well for them. since the first xbox console MS has done a good job with game attach rate.

I guess what I'm saying is high console sales, doesn't translate directly to higher software sales in all instances. Until last gen, it was the only way to measure the sales potential for titles. There are 100+ million PS4 systems but not a single game that has hit 50 million units on the platform to my knowledge.
I guess cost production for consoles could be important, i am sure i read recently, a few months ago, that Playstation had broken even on their hardware in terms of costs per unit where they did not have to subsidize units to the consumer.

Not sure if Microsoft is or did the same with their units yet.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Playstation revenue was 51% more than Xbox last quarter. $5.6 billion vs $3.7 billion. Not almost double.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Yeah and how many gaming PCs and Xboxs are out there? A lot more than PS4 but just as few selling 50 million. That metric makes game sells look just as bad aside from Minecraft or GTA. Which still required ALL platforms to get that high.

Bodomism

Banned
Nintendo Switch is comfortably leading the sales.

Next year, Nintendo Switch is going to surpass PS4 total sales numbers.

Bragr

Banned
FUCK SONY AND XBOX WHERE IS MY NINT.....

... "looks over shoulder, sees 2 mods"

I love both my Playstation and Xbox consoles. It's all about the co-operation between platforms to produce the best games. Sales ain't that important.

Top Bottom