• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Estimated 2021 console sales numbers

reksveks

Estimated console split 1.91:1
Total revenue split for 2021: 1.63:1
Hardware revenue split*: 2.01:1
Software and services split*:1.41:1

Last edited:

Stuart360

What happened to the 8.4mil number for Xbox from a month or two ago?. People on here seemed to accept the numbers so i though they must be from a reputable source.

Zathalus

What happened to the 8.4mil number for Xbox from a month or two ago?. People on here seemed to accept the numbers so i though they must be from a reputable source.
They are all estimates, no one is more reputable than the other. Some would believe this number, some would believe the other and neither can convince the other is correct.

Topher

Gold Member
I get that,, this new esimate is based on actual customers who have the console sat in their homes. But that would mean 600k PS5's and 1.7mil Series consoles out there in the wild unbought, that doesnt sound realistic to me.

I'm thinking those units are in the supply chain. Not sitting on the shelves, but number of stock currently in shipping status. Although, XSS actually has been on shelves in many areas.

Because it's lower?

Zhuge and Welfare previously estimated ~8M+ x/s sold to markets, not sell in (in the hands of customers). This number in OP appears to be an estimate of sell in.

so they are saying there are actually PS5 sitting on the shelves?! .....if we're to buy Sony's story, whatever they ship out there, sold out to the customers, then shipment should be equal to sold thru

FrankWza

I'm thinking those units are in the supply chain. Not sitting on the shelves, but number of stock currently in shipping status. Although, XSS actually has been on shelves in many areas.
Yeah. I think it’s safe to assume that any PS5 or series X produced will be sold. Wherever they are in the chain. Once it’s boxed and put on a pallet it’s sold even if it hasn’t sold yet technically.

Stuart360

Yeah there are def XSS in stores in some countries, but 1.7mil?, and 600k PS5's and hundreds of thousands XSX?. I just cant see it, even with consoles in transit.

so they are saying there are actually PS5 sitting on the shelves?! .....if we're to buy Sony's story, whatever they ship out there, sold out to the customers, then shipment should be equal to sold thru
I mean it's not weird to imagine half a million PS5 out there between production, sitting in a warehouse for a bit and then shipping to stores, etc...
It's not like they are produced and instantly sold.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Because it's lower?

Zhuge and Welfare previously estimated ~8M+ x/s sold to markets, not sell in (in the hands of customers). This number in OP appears to be an estimate of sell in.

Yeap and it is complete bullshit.
And it is was not ~8M+... it was 8.3m.

PS5
Shipped (official): 13.4m
Sold (estimate): 12.8m
On shelves (estimate): 600k

Series
Shipped (Warfare estimate): 8.3m
Sold (estimate): 6.7m
On shelves (estimate): 1.6m

See? The only option here is that Warfare estimate was just made up overinflated guesses for Xbox.

Edit - Fixed the numbers.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah there are def XSS in stores in some countries, but 1.7mil?, and 600k PS5's and hundreds of thousands XSX?. I just cant see it, even with consoles in transit.

Well, we are talking about PS5s sitting on ships at sea for two to three weeks or more. If you take 600k units that are in transit status at a time then that adds up to around 10-12 million delivered in a year. So it adds up.

elliot5

Yeap and it is complete bullshit.
And it is was not ~8M+... it was 8.3m.

PS5
Shipped (official): 13.3m
Sold (estimate): 12.8m
On shelves (estimate): 500k

Series
Shipped (Warfare estimate): 8.3m
Sold (estimate): 6.7m
On shelves (estimate): 1.6m

See? The only option here is that Warfare estimate was just made up overinflated guesses for Xbox.

Edit - Fixed the numbers.
8.9 huh

Mhm I see you edited it before I could post the tweet

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
8.9 huh

Mhm I see you edited it before I could post the tweet

I had to google the actual number.
In any case my point still stands.

BTW just to point out that even with 50/50 ratio for Series S/X production MS can produce at max ~9m consoles this year... most of these will be sold in holidays (4-5m?).

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Where are you seeing that? I see their previously disclosed sell through estimate for PS5 was 10M, but the PS5 hardware sales row doesn't have the little superscript 8 for sell through numbers unlike PS4 and others.
PlayStation®5 (PS5™), has sold through more than 10 million units* globally since first launching on November 12, 2020
* As of July 18, 2021

They report sell-through numbers (it was 10.1M, FY 7.8, Q1 2.3).

Kilau

Gold Member
I'm curious how Sony has managed to produce almost double the amount of consoles as Xbox, seeing both are still supply constrained.
I don’t know how accurate the report was but folks were saying Sony got their orders in first so they were able to order more wafers and something to do with being able to get more chips out of the process compared to Xbox because PS5 is the same in both models aside from disc drive but X/S split the production up unevenly.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Damn..another Sony win thread today.
Green Bay Packers Text Back GIF by Martellus Bennett's Text Back Pack's Text Back Pack
Get some help man. One of the worst first posts I have ever seen. At least make it witty.

Topher

Gold Member

GreatnessRD

I assume GP being on PC is somewhat hampering sales of Xbox consoles. Just my 2 🪙
I think it has more to do with Sony having the mindshare and the games. If Xbox can bring the first party games, and those games are good, it could be a totally different ball game. I wanted to buy Gamepass ultimate for PC, but the game selection for me isn't there. If it ever hits parity with the console version of GP, I'm all in and would buy immediately.

reksveks

I just wanted to add, apparently there was another source saying that the ps5:xbox ratio was 2:1 based of some national statistics data.

ethomaz

Banned
Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I just wanted to add, apparently there was another source saying that the ps5:xbox ratio was 2:1 based of some national statistics data.
Regardless of Sony doing well wasn't xbox running at a 4:1 ratio last gen?

Seems to indicate at least during the launch window some of the bad press round the X1 has at least been shed?

Sony killing it though as you'd expect

ethomaz

Banned
Regardless of Sony doing well wasn't xbox running at a 4:1 ratio last gen?

Seems to indicate at least during the launch window some of the bad press round the X1 has at least been shed?

Sony killing it though as you'd expect
Global? It was around 2:1... got a bit better late in the gen around 2.2:1.
Of course country by country you will find 1.5:1 (US/UK), 3:1, 4:1 and even 9:1 (Spain?)... I excluded Japan for obvious reasons :p

Last edited:

reksveks

So PS5 is on pace to sell over 100 million units lifetime, same as PS4.

And XBS is on pace to sell over 50 million units lifetime, same as XBO.
Assuming supply and demand stays the same on average between the two platforms. Not sure about the final numbers cause it also depends on the length of the generation

Last edited:

Tschumi

the model is different although Sony will sell x4 times what Ms will. They will never ever have the user reach Ms have already today. For this reason Sony will release everything on pc
Hmmmm.

Did you just say that Sony has a smaller global reach than Xbox?

After the PS4 vs xbone generation?

When shops in Japan, for one example, don't even stock xboxes most of the time?

I'm sorry my child but just saying something doesn't make it so no matter how much you might wish otherwise.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
the model is different although Sony will sell x4 times what Ms will. They will never ever have the user reach Ms have already today. For this reason Sony will release everything on pc
Actually Sony with PlayStation is in more countries than MS with Xbox... or using your words PlayStation reaches more users than Xbox.
I'm not sure what are you talking about at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom