• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Estimated 2021 console sales numbers

again compare Forza sales time aligned with the best PS5 exclusive add game pass subs and you will understand how far and wrong you are in your evaluation
Again
No Way Meme GIF

MonarchJT

Banned
I've read you try your best to deflect from a subject you clearly don't like talking about plenty. The subject is still valid whether you like it or not. But if you really don't want to talk about console sales then I'd suggest clicking the "ignore thread" button and moving on.
i don't deflect anything i could answer you easily saying both console are constantly sold out it mean just only Sony managed to produce more consoles.It should be talked about if there were dozens of Xbox series xs unsold on the shelves. I thought my explanation about the two different models was more interesting but if you prefer this one. here it is.

Last edited:
i don't deflect anything i could answer you easily saying both console are constantly sold out it mean just only Sony managed to produce more consoles.It should be talked about if there were dozens of Xbox series xs unsold on the shelves. I thought my explanation about the two different models was more interesting but if you prefer this one. here it is.
why you always lying noragami aragoto GIF

v5HWgca.jpg

Available directly

Topher

Gold Member

XSX is constantly sold out, but XSS is not. Since XSS is counted in the numbers then this isn't simply a matter of Sony being able to produce more consoles.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Well the tweet is for Sept numbers:

1. MS doesn't release sales numbers
2. Sony hasn't released any new games in a while
3. This is before the Forza release
4. This is before the Halo MP release
5. Previously I read (months ago) that XSX/S were over 8 million......so the 6.7 is likely wrong.

Last edited:

Unknown?

who saying this ? you? is like saying that in music market the only thing that we need to value is vinyl sales. I'm sorry but Ms has branched out and their videogames market is not longer tied solely to the consoles.
Sure but this is a thread about consoles. It's like going into a vinyl thread and talking about cassettes.

Papacheeks

Banned
Well the tweet is for Sept numbers:

1. MS doesn't release sales numbers
2. Sony hasn't released any new games in a while
3. This is before the Forza release
4. This is before the Halo MP release
5. Previously I read (months ago) that XSX/S were over 8 million......so the 6.7 is likely wrong.

it's not. The 8 Million was an estimate for sold to retailers not to consumers.

6.7m is sold to consumers.

MonarchJT

Banned
XSX is constantly sold out, but XSS is not. Since XSS is counted in the numbers then this isn't simply a matter of Sony being able to produce more consoles.
I see, even if everything goes against you, you want to win the argument ... and I'll let you do it.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Nintendo Switch is comfortably leading the sales.

Next year, Nintendo Switch is going to surpass PS4 total sales numbers.
Need some actual 1st party GOOd games for once (and no, Pokemon, Pokemon Snap, a Mario Party rehash, and a lackluster Mario Golf doesn't count). Metroid Dread was ok but not great (and a bit niche). If they release a fresh, new game...or a new Zelda or Mario then yes, they will pass PS4. But I bet a new console will come out next fall and people will buy that for the new games.

MonarchJT

Banned
Sure but this is a thread about consoles. It's like going into a vinyl thread and talking about cassettes.
sure it would be like this ... but the fact is that someone spoke of "victory" as if the sale of the consoles alone could demonstrate today in 2021 (after what ms did) the success of a business model or not. This is why I spent time trying to make it clear that this is no longer the case and that these data now leave the time they find. Microsoft may just stop selling consoles now (as today) ... and and the same have (if they deserve it) exclusives that could sell more than Sony exclusives at the end of the gen even having millions and millions of consoles sold more.This is what matters. then we can indulge in onanism and enjoy hw sales.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I guarantee there are not 1.3 million units just sitting around out there. You can't find them online except when there are drops.

Scalper sales and whats happening over in asia where individuals buy consoles then resell them. I'm not sure but the source is reputable. And Zhugh also hinted at if you read in the tweet that numbers were not to consumers.

Believe what you want.

Topher

Gold Member
I see, even if everything goes against you, you want to win the argument ... and I'll let you do it.

What I said was factual.

I guarantee there are not 1.3 million units just sitting around out there. You can't find them online except when there are drops.

I can buy an XSS right now at Best Buy and have been able to for some time. The 1.3 million isn't just stock available for sale though. There are consoles that are literally on ships at sea which take weeks to arrive.

What I said was factual.

I can buy an XSS right now at Best Buy and have been able to for some time. The 1.3 million isn't just stock available for sale though. There are consoles that are literally on ships at sea which take weeks to arrive.
More like months in todays environment.
Ships are now going slower, because it's cheaper.
Ships have to wait days / weeks on some ports.

But that's not unique to MS

reksveks

Those 6 people are walking out empty handed. These sales threads are pointless so long as they are selling as much as they can produce.

To me, the interesting questions and what ifs out of these estimates of console sales and the software revenue is off the fact that Sony have a 1.91:1 advantage in console units which gets turned into a 1:41 software revenue; software + service wise I think

Sony has
- Software attached to the consoles
- Software attached to pc? (does anyone know what division this goes into before I have a look)
- PS Now and PS Plus revenue numbers

Microsoft has
- Software attached to the consoles
- Software attached to pc via steam
- Software attached to the PC
- GP and Live Gold revenue numbers

Am I missing anything? happy to add.

I am trying to figure out where MS is making a extra $2.282Bn (25% of their total software and services revenue) if software+service revenue was correlated to console sales.

MonarchJT

Banned
Then why is MS not producing more consoles? They are producing them based on projected demand, they projected they would sell about 1/2 of what Sony sold.
i can more than assure you that the x series is constantly 100% sold out. In my opinion Microsoft is pushing the S which despite being more difficult to sell given the difference in power with the X and the PS5, however, almost certainly guarantees a subscription to gamepass

Sanepar

Why u insist on that? Series X is sold out. Series S is available on around the world.

Heck the XSS is the only one I saw in a store. Never seen either the XSX or the PS5 in stores. Really hope that changes because playing the lottery really sucks.

Great Hair

Banned
And yet the sales estimates do absolutely nothing to change the reality of what Xbox owners have and can reliably look forward to. Xbox owners are playing Forza Horizon 5, are Halo Infinite's amazing multiplayer right now, will play its amazing Campaign in less than a month. Xbox owners can enjoy the consistently amazing and rising value of Game Pass, the increasingly impressive cloud based offerings from Xbox that adds versatility and convenience, excellent industry leading backwards compatibility support, and we have a shit ton of amazing games to look forward to that includes Elder Scrolls VI, Starfield, Redfall, Perfect Dark, Fable, Hellblade 2, Avowed, The Outer Worlds 2, Indiana Jones etc.

So while you're busy patting yourself on the back over some sales estimates, the reality is actually leaving you behind. Xbox is no longer just about consoles sold, though it's important. Xbox's strategy is across consoles, PC, smartphones and the cloud. You think these estimates account for the fact Xbox just finished having its largest launch in Steam history? Do they account for Forza Horizon 5 having almost 10 million players worldwide alreaddy so soon after its official launch? You think Microsoft cares if all 9 million of those players or all these Halo Infinite Multiplayer players are playing on Xbox Series consoles? They just want them buying and playing period.
SenjutsuSage? More like SensualSake (NSFW, yes ... this is on YT because ASMR)

it makes the most sense for Sony to release games on the PC.
If they resell 3+ year old games, sure why not. But it really isn´t paying Sony any dividend.

HZD sold 1.7 mill. and DG close to 700k ... that´s like 120 mll. or 0.05% of their annual revenue (playstation).

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
SenjutsuSage? More like SensualSake (NSFW, yes ... this is on YT because ASMR)

If they resell 3+ year old games, sure why not. But it really isn´t paying Sony any dividend.

HZD sold 1.7 mill. and DG close to 700k ... that´s like 120 mll. or 0.05% of their annual revenue (playstation).

120 million, with very little effort is close to free money. God of war will easily sell 3-4 million. That’s extra revenue, could lead to someone buying PSNOW and use it on pc. Or better yet they buy a PlayStation.
It’s a win/win scenario.
Uncharted, bloodborne, god of war will sell gang busters.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Then why is MS not producing more consoles? They are producing them based on projected demand, they projected they would sell about 1/2 of what Sony sold.
Maybe you have heard of the chip shortage? Also, they upgraded xcloud so I'm sure that consumed a lot of units.

Kssio_Aug

And that didnt affect Sony? My point is MS made what they thought they could sell, period.
If it was this simple, it wouldn't be lacking Series X on stores right now because MS would have solved that producing more units. There are many people wanting to buy SX and PS5, but that simply can't find them in stock. There's even a thread about it. And yes, the chip shortage did affect Sony too.

Papacheeks

Banned
Ratchet literally has same game mechanics as PS2 games. Just glorified tech demo to be honest. Eye candy for sure but not worthy imo.

Demon Souls remake is eh, demon souls is not a good game its very easy with one button kills. And worst souls / shortest game in a genre that is overcrowded.

Returnal is cool arcade game but not a worthy game. It's resogun but in third person basically.

When I meant good games I meant games like "Mortal kombat X,Batman Arkham,AC unity(even though its flawed),Uncharted 4" which all came in 2/3 year of PS4.

Those games couldnt be done in PS3. It clearly shows.

This is your opinion.

Obviously you are in the minority as most played games chart that was put out a week ago shows Miles morales, mlb the show, and Demons souls as some of the top most played games.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
And that didnt affect Sony? My point is MS made what they thought they could sell, period.
Wrong. They are still not available, why would they hold back manufacturing? And Sony did not divert units to use as server blades.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Ratchet literally has same game mechanics as PS2 games. Just glorified tech demo to be honest. Eye candy for sure but not worthy imo.

Demon Souls remake is eh, demon souls is not a good game its very easy with one button kills. And worst souls / shortest game in a genre that is overcrowded.

Returnal is cool arcade game but not a worthy game. It's resogun but in third person basically.

You've played all those games?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
You will because in 1 or 2 gen max there will be no more consoles, only clouds and services available.
I mean 1-2 gens could be 15-20 years from now. Which is like - up to half of the entire time consoles even existed to date.
By then we might all be existing as cloud services :p

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Look I'm not Xbot, but there is absolutely a chip shortage that's been happening, and there were tons of articles about Sony ramping up production right before that shortage really kicked off. They couldn't quite hit their numbers still, but clearly just have a better manufacturing pipeline either way.

Neither company is making what they think they can sell, so nobody knows what the sales numbers would be if both were able to produce fully.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Ratchet literally has same game mechanics as PS2 games.
When I meant good games I meant games like "Mortal kombat X,Batman Arkham,AC unity(even though its flawed),Uncharted 4" which all came in 2/3 year of PS4.
All of those games literally had the same mechanics as their PS3 predecessors though. The only thing that 'couldn't' be done are the visuals. So eye-candy applies as a differentiator, except when it doesn't?

Look I'm not Xbot, but there is absolutely a chip shortage that's been happening, and there were tons of articles about Sony ramping up production right before that shortage really kicked off. They couldn't quite hit their numbers still, but clearly just have a better manufacturing pipeline either way.

Neither company is making what they think they can sell, so nobody knows what the sales numbers would be if both were able to produce fully.
Well history would indicate about 2 to 1

blacktout

Surprised to see xss is 50 percent of the consoles sold in certain markets. Probably has to do with availability, you can go to a store and find an xss, but rarely an xbsx I imagine. It can also explain why there is high digital sales on Xbox side.

Availability is definitely playing a role, but I imagine a lot of consumers are price sensitive too and that ~$200 difference could be a huge fucking deal, especially in a moment when there's a lot of uncertainty about the post-COVID economy.

Just speaking for me, personally, I don't own any next (current?) gen system yet, but if I were to buy one in the near future, it would be the Series S, because it would put the least strain on my budget (especially with GamePass).

Perrott

Gold Member

This is literally some of the most stupidest shit I've ever read on this forum.

What's "worthy" for you then? A game that comes out of the TV and sucks your dick? C'mon, if you're gonna do console wars posts, at least have the decency to not try to disguise it as some sort of "intelectual opinion". Just say that Ratchet, Demon's and Returnal are a giant piece of shit and be done with it, but don't come at me with this "not worthy" bullshit.

tommib

There’s trolling and console warring - and then there’s whatever this is trying to be which seems to be on a whole new level.

We all know you haven’t played any of these games. I don’t even know what you’re doing here on the forums.

Top Bottom