• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer] First HDMI 2.1 gaming monitor for PC and next-gen consoles announced

"What's the best HDMI 2.1 monitor?" It's a question that I've received with increasing regularity over the past few weeks as next-generation consoles draw closer to release, and it's one that I've had no answer for - there simply aren't any monitors on the market that support the higher refresh rates and other gaming features offered by HDMI 2.1*. Apart from our best gaming TV pick, there aren't even that many TVs that support the new standard either!

We've covered the Spectrum a couple of times since it was announced last October, but if you missed those articles, no hard feelings! The hardware inside is fascinating too, with Eve using the same Nano IPS panel technology that we loved in our current 'best gaming monitor' pick, the LG GL850, with improvements to important metrics like brightness, contrast, refresh rate and local dimming. That could add up to an impressive gaming monitor, and HDMI 2.1 support only sweetens the deal.

Right now, the Spectrum is on pre-sale in three configurations: 2560x1440 at 144Hz ($389), 2560x1440 at 240Hz ($529) and 3840x2160 at 144Hz ($629). It's these latter two models that will support HDMI 2.1, with two of the future-proof ports each - so you could potentially have an Xbox Series X and a PS5 connected simultaneously.

The 4K 144Hz Spectrum model makes the most sense for next-gen, as it aligns most closely with the 4K 120Hz combination offered by many high-end TVs, but the 1440p 240Hz model could also come in handy if console game developers choose to support arbitrary resolutions and refresh rates.

230x130

230x130

Those specs look pretty sweet

thanks T The Janitor

4k model specs

K4UBk2U.png

bQX30uZ.png

gUGKf70.png

Last edited:
Won't deny the monitor design looks slick as hell but I have no reason to upgrade from my 1440p 165hz gsync ips monitor. I cant even reach constant 165FPS in Warzone with low settings at 1440p with a 2080. What the hell will I do with a 240hz one lol?

JimboJones

Won't deny the monitor design looks slick as hell but I have no reason to upgrade from my 1440p 165hz gsync ips monitor. I cant even reach constant 165FPS in Warzone with low settings at 1440p with a 2080. What the hell will I do with a 240hz one lol?
Play some Unreal Tournament or Quake 3 lulz, 240hz must look absolutely unreal though but I'm pretty content with 144 for time being.

Soodanim

Meh, yet another IPS screen, while variable refresh rate was supported on both monitors and TVs FOR YEARS.
WTF is to be hyped here, some puny interface socket nobody should give a fuck about?

No doubt PS5 also supports it, even XBone did:
Are you okay? A very strong reaction there. HDMI moving forward is good. It’s not just VRR, there’s the other things like instant resolution changes and various other things. Then there’s the console compatibility for those that want that. Nothing wrong with HDMI2.1 just because you prefer DisplayPort, VRR being commonplace is nothing but a good thing.

I wonder what effect, if any, VRR will have on Freesync and G-Sync tech being included on future monitors.

Meh, yet another IPS screen, while variable refresh rate was supported on both monitors and TVs FOR YEARS.
WTF is to be hyped here, some puny interface socket nobody should give a fuck about?

No doubt PS5 also supports it, even XBone did:

I don't think there is anything in the OP that says anything regarding XsX vs PS5 support, unless I missed it....

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I thought 2.1 maxed out at 4k 120hz? We've already had 4k 144hz monitors but they use chroma subsampling. This monitor will do the same?

Anyway, 2.1 doesn't really interest me. I'm good with 1440p 165hz. The only real exciting thing is consoles will have better VRR support.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
$400 for the 144hz Version isn't bad at all. Ifnit came with the stand. With a good sale that's a deal.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The LG CX OLED has HDMI 2.1, but only 40 Gbps instead of the full 48 Gbps, though, it shouldn't matter much. Looking forward to the 48" or 55" LG CX OLED.
48 inch as a monitor is insane. and def pointless on a desk. 32 inch 16:9 is my max honestly.
at least they are getting there ! :)

i would spend 1500 on a 32 inch 4k oled monitor in a second.. image if it happens. all these "GaMeR" wank monitors instantly useless.

Last edited:
Like anyone really has the GPU's to support HDMI 2.1
2080ti doesnt even support it. Next gen console's sure but how soon/often are they really going to be going for 4k-144
Basically id only be worried about HDMI 2.1 right now if i was planning on getting a 3080ti in which case a $600 monitor would probably not do that GPU any justice at all.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
As an early Eve supporter and purchaser of their products (full disclosure I also pre-ordered a few of the spectrum's several months back) their product build quality can be a grab bag. Wait for the the actual hardware reviews before buying into the hype and check out eve.community (its their community forum board). I will say that as a company they react quickly to some issues......but not so much to others. YMMV

I use a 1440p curved Sammy gaming monitor, 27 inch model. I prefer that size for how my desk is arranged and how close I sit
Real talk, I want a proper pc set up like I had when I was a kid, you know, desk, monitor chair n shit.

Now that I'm a lazy adult, I game on console and a pc plugged in to a big TV while slouching on the sofa.

What comfortable chair options are there where I can sit like southparkworldofwarcraft guy and be as comfy as a sofa?

longdi

Banned
Same. Been waiting for a good color accurate 144hz or better, decently HDR-capable ultrawide monitor that isn't insanely huge or expensive.
You could buy a bigger oled and run custom resolution to get 4k ultrawide at 21:9 (3840 x 1644 ) like how i roll.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Real talk, I want a proper pc set up like I had when I was a kid, you know, desk, monitor chair n shit.

Now that I'm a lazy adult, I game on console and a pc plugged in to a big TV while slouching on the sofa.

What comfortable chair options are there where I can sit like southparkworldofwarcraft guy and be as comfy as a sofa?
I hear good things about secretlab. They seem to be the best "gamer" chairs out there.

Soodanim

Open, or at least, free standard moving forward is good. HDMI is not one of them.
I didn’t realise HDMI was the big bad. Do you know of an open HDMI alternative? Would you prefer HDMI stay as it is and not move forward?

While this might not be as good for monitors as it is for TVs, I’m struggling to see how HDMI improving is a bad thing. Tearing disappearing forever is nothing but positive.

Top Bottom