• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer] First HDMI 2.1 gaming monitor for PC and next-gen consoles announced

GHG

Gold Member
Will probably stick to 120hz 1440p/60hz 4k for the foreseeable future.

The GPU power required to maintain above 60fps @ 4k most likely won't be there for a while if you like to keep your settings cranked.

Knch

Real talk, I want a proper pc set up like I had when I was a kid, you know, desk, monitor chair n shit.

Now that I'm a lazy adult, I game on console and a pc plugged in to a big TV while slouching on the sofa.

What comfortable chair options are there where I can sit like southparkworldofwarcraft guy and be as comfy as a sofa?

When my mate first saw it: "Lul, gaym0rseat..."
After he sat in it for a second: *slouching further and further* "Ye, is comfy."

It is cheaper than a proper adult one and is wearing out slower than the chairs at work.

BlackM1st

Banned
This monitor is a literal POS lol. No one would look at it if not for 2.1. 2.1 is needed for something like Asus ROG Swift PG32UQX.

Antwix

If you're noticing a huge difference on a 27inch monitor you're either blind or dumb.

edit: http://phrogz.net/tmp/ScreenDensity...sizeUnit:in,axis:diag,distance:39,distUnit:in feel free to check that shit urself unless ofc you're non-human then I suppose it won't apply to you.
Yes.... I am BLIND for being able to notice a difference in resolutions. lmao. I can CLEARLY tell a difference on a 27" between 1080p 1440p and 2160p.

It's one thing to think it's not worth upgrading for diminishing returns (at a high price), but to think it's not useful or noticeable is definitely not true...

Last edited:

Flintty

I literally upgraded to 144hz last week. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice, but not the game changer the internet promised me. I’ve played 60fps games since trying it and it’s not impossible to go back to as suggested by higher FPS fans.

So, I’m happy with what I got and won’t be upgrading for quite a few years!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I literally upgraded to 144hz last week. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice, but not the game changer the internet promised me. I’ve played 60fps games since trying it and it’s not impossible to go back to as suggested by higher FPS fans.

So, I’m happy with what I got and won’t be upgrading for quite a few years!
Inc VFR ? That is a gamechanger imo.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The LG CX OLED has HDMI 2.1, but only 40 Gbps instead of the full 48 Gbps, though, it shouldn't matter much. Looking forward to the 48" or 55" LG CX OLED.
40 Gbps is still enough to get 4K/120 Hz at 10-bit RGB/444 so its mostly fine. It does lose 12-bit, but since the panels are only 10-bit its really not a huge loss as you say.

HDMI 2.1 controllers are very rare at this time, only high end TV's have them so were this company is sourcing there controller from is a mystery.

No big monitor makers have announced anything with HDMI 2.1 and usually when they do a big announcement the product can be up to a year or more away.

So a crowd funding company out of nowhere annoucning a HDMI 2.1 compatible monitor for the end of 2020 strikes me a bit optimistic.

It's a shame MS just didnt use a USB-C port on the XSX to give use Displayport 144Hz (capped at 120fps) and not have to rely on the HDMI interface for this.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
HDMI 2.1 controllers are very rare at this time, only high end TV's have them so were this company is sourcing there controller from is a mystery.

No big monitor makers have announced anything with HDMI 2.1 and usually when they do a big announcement the product can be up to a year or more away.

So a crowd funding company out of nowhere annoucning a HDMI 2.1 compatible monitor for the end of 2020 strikes me a bit optimistic.

It's a shame MS just didnt use a USB-C port on the XSX to give use Displayport 144Hz (capped at 120fps) and not have to rely on the HDMI interface for this.
HDMI 2.1 will pick up once new GPUs come out. The LG C9/CX pretty much immediately becomes the overall best gaming monitor, except for those who want the highest of the highest framerates and care little about image quality.

Adding a USB-C port would add unneccessary cost to the XSX

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I wouldn't waste your money buying HDMI 2.1 monitors for PS5/XSX, the modes it allows will be barely used. Plus what others have already said about them being really overpriced for the picture you get from edge lighting and IPS.

b0uncyfr0

Someone please explain why I should buy a 3840x2160 at 144Hz monitor when I can buy the 1440p and use a games inbuilt scaling set at 150%. Ofc I know not all games have this but it's becoming fairly common now..

You're essentially getting the same thing right? 4k downscaled to 1440p at 144hz. Or will a native 4k screen look better?

Someone please explain why I should buy a 3840x2160 at 144Hz monitor when I can buy the 1440p and use a games inbuilt scaling set at 150%. Ofc I know not all games have this but it's becoming fairly common now..

You're essentially getting the same thing right? 4k downscaled to 1440p at 144hz. Or will a native 4k screen look better?

4k downscaled to 1440p will look better than 1440p native(better AA) but not as good as 4k native.

Soodanim

DIsplayport is royalty free, unlike HDMI.

Absolutely, and Dolby crap on top of it.
We’d all love to see open standards take over I’m sure, but a competitor for HDMI isn’t going to happen any time soon. DisplayPort, from the little I’ve read, seems to be designed to be very PC monitor specific in its scope. It certainly doesn’t (again from the little I’ve read) have half of the AV features HDMI has.

Besides, doesn’t this forum frown upon port begging?

Flintty

I’m still playing with the settings to try and get the best out of it. I don’t think I’ve got to that yet but I’ll tinker tomorrow. I enabled Gsync but only tried that on WoW and it fucked it up with tearing.

It has been educational though. I never knew about mouse polling rate until yesterday. Making lots of small gains.

Last edited:
Will probably stick to 120hz 1440p/60hz 4k for the foreseeable future.

The GPU power required to maintain above 60fps @ 4k most likely won't be there for a while if you like to keep your settings cranked.

Im starting to feel the same way. I feel like the only games that will hit 120 will be fighting, raceing, multiplayer, and last gen games. Dont expect Halo or Uncharted to go above 60

D.Final

Banned

230x130

230x130

thanks @The Janitor

4k model specs

K4UBk2U.png

bQX30uZ.png

gUGKf70.png

I would say pretty cool

Flintty

So I can’t find any setting for VFR. I’ve got VBR on the monitor, which needs G-Sync and HDR disables to use. It’s nice and smooth but the screen is a hell of a lot darker. I don’t know what to do at this point 🙈

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't care about hdmi version or high framerate really since I play at 4k (or 1800p if I can't reach 60fps).
All I want is nice, 4k oled monitor with freesync. if it's more than 60hz, sure, whatever.
I am just annoyed that we never got good quality LCD monitors and instead of improving on that, we have stupid 360hz monitors now....

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So I can’t find any setting for VFR. I’ve got VBR on the monitor, which needs G-Sync and HDR disables to use. It’s nice and smooth but the screen is a hell of a lot darker. I don’t know what to do at this point 🙈
Gsync is variable frame rate VFR.
Disable vsync and make sure your fps ingame is limited below the max FR og your screen so set it at 140fps or something

Flintty

Gsync is variable frame rate VFR.
Disable vsync and make sure your fps ingame is limited below the max FR og your screen so set it at 140fps or something

I’ll give it another go, thank you!
I assume if you have VFR it doesn’t matter so much what your actual FPS is as the monitor matches the output?

I tried that in WoW but I think there’s a problem with it running in max window mode (I get shit kids of tearing). I’ll try it properly on Div 2 and Apex later 👍🏻

D.Final

Banned
I don't care about hdmi version or high framerate really since I play at 4k (or 1800p if I can't reach 60fps).
All I want is nice, 4k oled monitor with freesync. if it's more than 60hz, sure, whatever.
I am just annoyed that we never got good quality LCD monitors and instead of improving on that, we have stupid 360hz monitors now....

Yeah...

Top Bottom