• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer] Upgrading to a 4TB SSD for your PS5 might cost less than you think

Nydius

Meanwhile in Xbox La La Land, they’re cheering about the price of the proprietary cards dropping to a “cheaper” $150 for 1TB or $280 for 2TB.

The 1TB SSD I bought a year ago when I finally got my PS5 was $140. Today, that same SSD at the same retailer is $83 and the 2TB model is $183. Or one could get a better WD Black 2TB for $170.

bWPhqan.jpg

Last edited:

shaddam

Soon I will pull the trigger on some sweet 4TB one. I have 1 gigabit uncapped internet. but downloading a huge game still takes a lot of time. I wish my ps3 would support properly bigger than 1TB drives. The games are smaller, but downloading and installing takes ages.

At long last, storage upgrades that cost less than a new video game console.(Been always the case on the PS5)
rynKc1a.gif

280$ for 2TB??
I can get a 4TB NVME for 335$.😂🤣🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

CGNoire

Right now, the largest SSD you can fit into the PS5 is a 4TB model, which expands your available game storage by a factor of seven (!). These drives are more expensive than 1TB or 2TB options, of course, but prices have dropped significantly. In fact, they might be considerably cheaper than you might expect!

In this mini roundup, we'll highlight four deals on 4TB SSDs suitable for PS5, including two models with built-in heatsinks for easy installation, and two models that come without at a lower price. We've also added prices for the US for context.

Addlink Addgame A95 4TB w/ heatsink - £385 (was £500)

The second-fastest SSD in this roundup with a preinstalled heatsink at a great price - our top pick.
Also available at $357 in the US.

WD Black SN850x - £379 (was £671)

The fastest SSD in this roundup (and the fastest in the PCIe 4.0 category overall, alongside the Samsung 990 Pro), the SN850x doesn't come with a heatsink but scores highly when it comes to load times and overall value.
Also available at $380 in the US. Heatsink costs $9.

Crucial P3 Plus - £251 (was £455)

The Crucial P3 Plus offers by far the best value, although it doesn't come with a heatsink and is a hair below Sony's speed recommendations - although even significantly slower SSDs worked fine in our testing.
Also available at $225 in the US. Heatsink costs $9.

Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus w/ PS5 heatsink - £430 (was £900)

The most convenient option, this 4TB SSD comes with a PS5-specific heatsink cover that works brilliantly.
Also available at $460 in the US - although I wouldn't recommend at this price.
First up we have the Addlink Addgame A95 which offers top-tier speeds, with up to 7200MB/s reads, and a preinstalled heatsink that fits perfectly in the PS5's rather shallow PS5 chamber. This debuted at £500, but now costs £385 - a good deal for a 4TB drive with this level of performance.

Our other top-tier choice is a famously fast SSD, the WD Black SN850x. It's marginally faster than the A95 and comes from a much better known brand, but it doesn't include a heatsink and costs around the same amount as the Addlink A95 at £379. If you do need a heatsink, we've tested and can recommend this model from Qivynsry for £8.

The cheapest SSD that we'd recommend for the PS5 is the Crucial P3 Plus, which narrowly misses out on Sony's 5500MB/s guidlines for sequential speeds but works just fine in a wide range of PS5 titles based on our extensive testing. Again, we recommend this this £8 Qivynsry heatsink, but even adding this to the cost you can still take home this 4TB SSD for less than £260 - making this drive £100 cheaper than other options.

Lastly, we have the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus which comes with this awesome PS5-specific heatsink that replaces the PS5's NVMe slot cover. This makes it by far the easiest and less fiddly drive to install, although performance isn't quite as strong as the Addlink A95 or WD SN850x. You do pay for that usability though, with an asking price of £430.

If none of the SSDs above tickle your fancy, then feel free to check our list of the best PS5 SSDs which also has more information on the installation procedure and Sony's requirements for compatible SSDs.

If you have any questions, or you find a better deal we should be recommending, do let us know in the comments below! You can also find us on Twitter @dealsfoundry and @dealsfoundryusa, where we share console and PC tech deals as we find them. Good luck out there!
Man this shit is so depressing. To replace a HDD for 360 was like $99 and now to get a proper drive for PS5 you have spend at least an additional $250. Mix that with the $550+ you already spent on the console and these consoles are basicly $800 now.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
there is this golden rule you should not drop more then 100 dollars on storage.. and yes it WILL drop to this price

Topher

Gold Member
Man this shit is so depressing. To replace a HDD for 360 was like $99 and now to get a proper drive for PS5 you have spend at least an additional $250. Mix that with the $550+ you already spent on the console and these consoles are basicly $800 now.

That is an odd comparison. 360's proprietary hard drives were highly overpriced compared to standard hard drives. PS5 is getting market prices for standard SSD.

What are you considering a "proper drive for PS5"?

Last edited:

CGNoire

That is an odd comparison. 360's proprietary hard drives were highly overpriced compared to standard hard drives. PS5 is getting market prices for standard SSD.

What are you considering a "proper drive for PS5"?
That makes the comparsion even worse.

2TB should do for me since I have a PC and wont be playing all the MultiPlatforms on the PS5. Still shits gotten too exspensive. The fact that at $500 plus they dont even have a proper HDD till you hit near $750-$800.

Topher

Gold Member
That makes the comparsion even worse.

2TB should do for me since I have a PC and wont be playing all the MultiPlatforms on the PS5. Still shits gotten too exspensive. The fact that at $500 plus they dont even have a proper HDD till you hit near $750-$800.

A 2 TB drive can be had for around $125 right now so more like $625 which would bring total PS5 storage up to 2.8 TB.

YCoCg

To replace a HDD for 360 was like $99
For 60GB or later 120GB. You can get a 128GB SSD for under $20 these days that vastly out performs those old 360 Hard Drives. The main issue you seem to have is that games are large as fuck now so naturally they require bigger drives.

CGNoire

For 60GB or later 120GB. You can get a 128GB SSD for under $20 these days that vastly out performs those old 360 Hard Drives. The main issue you seem to have is that games are large as fuck now so naturally they require bigger drives.
Yes game sizes are the culprit but I would never ask them to shrink. Where never getting true next gen texture work without a significant increase in that department. I just wish everything was still disk based and disk sizes could properly handle the increase. Like 200GB disks etc...

GHound

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Always bizarre to see those articles praising unrestricted consumption and opulence. Really? Last three years were shit, we got a war in Europe, inflation is running rampart, but the most pressing issue is how to get more digital downloads on your drive? Then I guess WSJ also makes articles that make you question life’s purpose.
It ain't that deep bro.

I bought a 5TB HDD awhile back for my PS5 for like $80. It works great and I can keep all my PS4 titles on it. When I'm done with a PS5 title, I move it into storage on the HDD so I can keep the SSD relatively free. The SSD I just have a few small PS5 games on and whatever major title I'm playing at the time. I like to keep 300GB or more free on the SSD when possible.

Top Bottom