• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EuroGamer's Top 10 Games of 2021

Vagswarm

Imagine still giving any credibility to eurogamer.
I dislike Eurogamer for the same reason as Kotaku: all they care about is gossip and slander. To get the dirty story while prancing around as honorable. And in doing so they try to appease as many triggered snowflakes as possible, because everything is just so bad and they must remind us of this constantly. In an article or REVIEW about a game, they'll talk about the developer or publisher behind it (or one that they might have worked with in the past... heaven forbid!) and how you might remember how evil they are (because they'll remind you with a link to the groundbreaking story on the same page, which THEY uncovered first... and dont you forget it!). And they also refer to themselves as the company instead of "us" or "we" or whichever in-house writer was responsible. "As Kotaku first reported, blah blah" -- on an article posted by a Kotaku writer, on their website; possibly even by the same writer as the one linking it! Comes off as self aggrandizing like everything else they post.

Both sites used to be about news and information and open-minded opinions, and I visited them frequently. They've both been removed from the bookmarks and I can't stand reading anything they write.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Damn returnal stands toe to toe with other competitor AAA blockbuster

happy excited GIF

Wildebeest

Throbbing Gristle!
A bold move since you would have to spend so much time explaining that you are not really a nazi. Sort of like wearing a Killing Joke shirt and having to say that you don't care about the Bat Man, so please kindly shove off.

Don't give them clicks. I know its tempting to check out everyone's end of year lists, but this year I'm making a point of swerving people/sites who's opinions I know I'm going to find disagreeable. Why validate them with your attention?
You do realise by avoiding people sites that don't agree with you, you are also just seeking opinions that validate your own, right?

Disagreement is good. Differing opinions are good. Reading through someone elses opinions either will strength your own views, or will make you understand their views better. Either way it adds to your knowledge of the subject.

tommib

A bold move since you would have to spend so much time explaining that you are not really a nazi. Sort of like wearing a Killing Joke shirt and having to say that you don't care about the Bat Man, so please kindly shove off.
Aren’t you thinking of Death in June? I’m shocked to see someone associating Genesis P-Orridge with Nazis.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
This list is definitely unique. Don't agree with much of it but hey, opinions.

Would push for Hitman 3 to be much higher up. Also for Inscription would be on there as well as Kena and Psychonauts 2 if it was my list.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Don't give them clicks. I know its tempting to check out everyone's end of year lists, but this year I'm making a point of swerving people/sites who's opinions I know I'm going to find disagreeable. Why validate them with your attention?
The very definition of closed mindedness right here.

rolandss

Looking at this list pretty much sums up why it was such a shit year in console gaming. I can’t think of a single game I bought this year (barring the expansion to Ghost of Tsushima which was great but not what I consider a 2021 game) that I actually enjoyed. Hopefully we get some memorable titles in 2022.

tommib

Their band logo is like an SS lightning flash or something.
It’s just a flash symbol. Never read anything about them being associated with the ultra-right. Colour me surprised. They were completly anti-conservative and avant-garde and read Marxist manifestos, as far as I know.

Wildebeest

It’s just a flash symbol. Never read anything about them being associated with the ultra-right. Colour me surprised. They were completly anti-conservative and avant-garde and read Marxist manifestos, as far as I know.
All I'm saying is if you want to rock the TG fashion then you got to consider what people are going to think about all those lightning bolts and skulls everywhere.

MrFunSocks

Banned
No disrespect, but it sounds like what you are saying is that 343 have managed to make a game on par with one that came out generations ago. Bungie were genre defining (still are in a way), but 343 are copy and paste in my opinion.
Saying that, Halo Infinite campaign is not on par was the original Halo - not even close. The original Halo will always have a special place in my memory.
I admire your passion for everything Microsoft, but this sounds like hyperbole to me. The kids have moved on now, to play Fortnite, a multiplayer fps that has actually moved the genre forward. All 343 have done is add a grappling hook.
Wait when did fortnite become a fps?!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You do realise by avoiding people sites that don't agree with you, you are also just seeking opinions that validate your own, right?

Disagreement is good. Differing opinions are good. Reading through someone elses opinions either will strength your own views, or will make you understand their views better. Either way it adds to your knowledge of the subject.

Again, its not about agreement or disagreement, its about not supporting outlets and personalities just because they proffer an opinion.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one.

So if the owner of a particular arsehole has proven over an extended period of time to be full of shit, I don't believe closer examination is necessary or informative!

You do you. But let's be honest there's no shortage of opinion out there about games, and that being the case I feel pretty certain that I'm not missing out by being more selective. Especially when the enthusiast press has become tainted with activists who seem more intent on proselytizing their politics than the "art".

Fbh

Can't say I agree with the list but it's nice seeing Death's Door getting some recognition.

Is unpacking any fun or is it indie game #5747 that's actually about depression and mental health?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Can't say I agree with the list but it's nice seeing Death's Door getting some recognition.

Is unpacking any fun or is it indie game #5747 that's actually about depression and mental health?
It's about depression and mental health lol.

But it more of an innovative take on storytelling that's worth acknowledging. You literally just click around and move objects. No characters, no story. But through the objects you pick up on the story of someone's entire life as they move from place to place.

It's chill.

Damn returnal stands toe to toe with other competitor AAA blockbuster

happy excited GIF
It's no Unpacking though :messenger_smirking:

On a serious note, putting Unpacking at #1 is... bold. Psychonauts 2 got robbed. Nice to see Artful Escape get recognition, such a beautiful little game. No RE8 is weird.

Everything else is fine I think.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Nice to see Halo towards the top of these lists. I almost never buy games for full price and have no regrets there. If only more anticipated games turned out so great.

I completely agree, I'm playing it on Game Pass, but I was also fortunate to pre-order one of the steelbook editions at the same price as the regular edition. I don't regret it at all, I bought it just to have it because Halo is my favorite series. It's well deserved, it's tied with Reach as my favorite Halo. The game is great, and the gameplay is so much fun and I so can't wait until campaign DLC comes out.

Xbox first party studios are really piling up most of GotY awards this time around.

ByWatterson

They very clearly watched Bosman's video to find out how to make a plausible but challenging list.

I mean MinnMax gave it to Chicory. This is all such farce.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The echo-chamber is real.

not listening stephen colbert GIF

No. Worrying about some random ass shitty sites awards just show(s):
1.) How little you value your own opinion
2.) You need validation for your purchase habits
3.) You are mental midget console warrior

There can be good discussions on what people's personal GotY awards can be. Discussing why I think FUGA is the best game of the year, or why you think Returnal is - we can see what other people value, why these games enraptured us, and get ideas of the next game we can purchase.

These shitty lists and awards don't do that. They have zero discussion value and are only ever served to do the three things I mentioned before. Plus they are literally from scum who hate the industry, medium, and the people who partake in it.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Artful escape in on gamepass right, I should give that a good go.
also, I really need to buy deaths door.

what is this number one, I should get that.

Top Bottom