• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europe must ban Bitcoin mining to hit the 1.5C Paris climate goal, say Swedish regulators

Great Hair

Banned
Faced with a sharp rise in energy consumption, Swedish authorities are calling on the European Union to ban "energy intensive" crypto mining. Erik Thedéen, director of the Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority, and Björn Risinger, director of the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency, said cryptocurrency's rising energy usage is threatening Sweden's ability to meet its obligations under the Paris Climate Agreement.

Between April and August this year, the energy consumption of Bitcoin mining in the Nordic country rose "several hundred per cent," and now consumes the equivalent electricity of 200,000 households, Thedéen and Risinger said.

In an open letter, the directors of Sweden's top financial and environmental regulators called for an EU-wide ban on "proof of work" cryptocurrency mining, for Sweden to "halt the establishment" of new crypto mining operations and for companies that trade and invest in crypto assets to be prohibited from describing their business activities as environmentally sustainable.

episode 17 monkeys GIF
doge wow GIF

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
This is another case of banning something that does not affect the person lobbying for it to be banned. But also Sweden has one of the cleanest energy production grids in the world, I don't specifically see how using energy produced this way and used for bitcoin mining is going to have an effect on emissions.

I think the director of the Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority has an ulterior motivation.

lifa-cobex

This is another case of banning something that does not affect the person lobbying for it to be banned. But also Sweden has one of the cleanest energy production grids in the world, I don't specifically see how using energy produced this way and used for bitcoin mining is going to have an effect on emissions.

I think the director of the Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority has an ulterior motivation.
Always follow the money.

Top Bottom