• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Market H1 2022 Summary - Germany biggest market, ER #1, NSW, PS5, Xbox in terms of consoles

Arioco

PS5 still in second place behind Switch due to low stock issues . Xbox in 3rd place without any stock issues due to lower demand.

Not exactly. Series S is usually pretty easy to find even cheaper than its official retail price, but Series X on the other hand... maybe it's not as hard to get as PS5 (which has been non-existent for over a year in Europe), but it's still not easy to get at all. Sony and MS has a lot of work to do over here.

yazenov

Not exactly. Series S is usually pretty easy to find even cheaper than its official retail price, but Series X on the other hand... maybe it's not as hard to get as PS5 (which has been non-existent for over a year in Europe), but it's still not easy to get at all. Sony and MS has a lot of work to do over here.

Fair enough. But some people here are acting like the series S doesn't count somehow, and therefore MS is supply constraint like Sony with the PS5.

Xbox Series S is like the red headed step child that nobdy wants to admit exists in sales discussion unless its benefits their argument somehow.

Menzies

Banned
Xbox Series S is like the red headed step child that nobdy wants to admit exists in sales discussion unless its benefits their argument somehow.
Xbox Series S is like the fair headed first-born that every PS loyalist wants to shove down your throat in sales discussion as the only desirable Xbox somehow.

Do we have any estimates for how much the PS5 and Series X and S consoles have each sold so far in Europe?

Last edited:

Arioco

Fair enough. But some people here are acting like the series S doesn't count somehow, and therefore MS is supply constraint like Sony with the PS5.

I think most MS users are interested in Series X, but since it can be so difficult to get in some countries people that only want to have Gamepass end up getting a Series S instead. That's the only reason Series S is outselling Series X, it's easier to get. MS seems to be prioritazing Series S production for some reason (it's probably way cheaper to manufacture and the loss for unit sold is smaller, plus since the chip is way smaller they can manufacture more units).

Ozriel

M$FT
Actually my argument is that Xbox problem with the lack of sales is the lack of demand, not the lack of supply. Your colleagues seems to think that Xbox is supply constraint when the cheaper model is widely available everywhere. There might be a slight supply problem with the model X, but I doubt it would make a significant difference in sales. The problem with Xbox outside of UK and US is the lack of desirability and demand for the product, not the supply. And even in those countries where Xbox has "strong" sales, they still ended up dead last. Sorry if the facts hurt your feelings.

Oh and it doesn't take much effort to incur some growth after the failed Xbox one product. I mean, it was a disaster anyways. A better comparison should be the growth from Xbox 360 . How does the Xbox series compare to Xbox 360 is a much more fruitful comparison IMO.
Its like saying the Switch is a runaway success compared to the WII U.

If the Series X is constantly selling out, it stands to reason that there’s demand. A very real demand.

And yes, wider supply for the Series X would make a significant impact on sales. We’ve seen that happen already this year, where improved stock of the Series X led to sales spikes for Q1 2022.

It’s also common practice for growth to be measured against your last outing or a previous predetermined period. It makes no sense to compare vs the Xbox 360, or for you to compare the performance of the Switch to the Nintendo DS.

I do empathize with your situation. As a kid, I used to try to diminish the sales of Sega’s Genesis when I could only afford a SNES. If you could just devote your time to raising $499, you probably wouldn’t have to do this. Couldn’t you ask your folks to up your allowance?

Calverz

Yes we all know the 2 biggest markets are US and UK for Xbox . Thats about it for Xbox's market share anyways.

Even if Xbox has shortages issues, lets say when the stock normalizes after 6 months, do you really think it has more demand than PS5 and Switch? Lets be realistic here. Its going to end up dead last like every other generation.
“Dead last” so dramatic lol

Deerock71

Six Nintendo games in the top 20, and that's without digital, which means it's easily missing another 30% of sales. Switch is a beast.
Meanwhile, at GAF:
Luke Skywalker GIF by Star Wars

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Not exactly. Series S is usually pretty easy to find even cheaper than its official retail price, but Series X on the other hand... maybe it's not as hard to get as PS5 (which has been non-existent for over a year in Europe), but it's still not easy to get at all.
Where's here?

In Portugal+Spain the Series X never went out of stock during 2020-2021 in most of our large retailers. Though at least it still sells for MSRP, whereas the Series S could be had for 230€ on Amazon during Prime day last week.
Perhaps Microsoft should have shifted some of our volume towards other EU countries or even towards the US.

OTOH I still can't find any PS5 for less than ~800€ except for some special deals and bundles that fly off the shelves or never make it past the reservation stage.

Chukhopops

Where's here?

In Portugal+Spain the Series X never went out of stock during 2020-2021 in most of our large retailers. Though at least it still sells for MSRP, whereas the Series S could be had for 230€ on Amazon during Prime day last week.
Perhaps Microsoft should have shifted some of our volume towards other EU countries or even towards the US.

OTOH I still can't find any PS5 for less than ~800€ except for some special deals and bundles that fly off the shelves or never make it past the reservation stage.
Well that’s odd because right now neither Media Markt ES, El Corte Ingles, Fnac ES nor Amazon ES show the XSX as available online. And it’s also impossible to get it at retail price judging from price comparison websites.

Are you sure about your claim that it « never went out of stock during 2020-2021 in most of our large retailers »?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Xbox Series S is like the fair headed first-born that every PS loyalist wants to shove down your throat in sales discussion as the only desirable Xbox somehow.

This is just untrue...

People are pretty damn negative about the Series S because its the pauper console universally... the fact the Series S never sells out is often used as an argument of how unpopular it is.

I myself think it fills that important niche of when people have just completely given up finding a series X and just end up with a S for a birthday gift because they promised the kid an Xbox.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Well germany is the biggest country in europe.
Uk the second (even if they are not in the EU anymore) and France the 3rd most populated.
The market seems logical

Well that’s odd because right now neither Media Markt ES, El Corte Ingles, Fnac ES nor Amazon ES show the XSX as available online. And it’s also impossible to get it at retail price judging from price comparison websites.

Are you sure about your claim that it « never went out of stock during 2020-2021 in most of our large retailers »?
Big doubt. Spain numbers are somewhat available and it feels like 80% of Xbox sold there are Series S. This means Series X is basically not available.

yazenov

If the Series X is constantly selling out, it stands to reason that there’s demand. A very real demand.

And yes, wider supply for the Series X would make a significant impact on sales. We’ve seen that happen already this year, where improved stock of the Series X led to sales spikes for Q1 2022.

It’s also common practice for growth to be measured against your last outing or a previous predetermined period. It makes no sense to compare vs the Xbox 360, or for you to compare the performance of the Switch to the Nintendo DS.

I do empathize with your situation. As a kid, I used to try to diminish the sales of Sega’s Genesis when I could only afford a SNES. If you could just devote your time to raising $499, you probably wouldn’t have to do this. Couldn’t you ask your folks to up your allowance?

Actually the series S is dirt cheap right now at $289.99 , but hard pass for me since its not even worth it at that price. You seemed bothered by its existences and conveniently mentioned the other model :messenger_tears_of_joy: .

Top Bottom