• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Monthly Charts March 2023 | Console hardware sales were up 67% driven by PS5 (up 369%)

SkylineRKR

Microsoft is kind of in a good place though. Even if they drop hardware at some point in the future, they will have Activision and Zenimax. They can publish their monster hits on Playstation too. I do think Sony needs competition, and its not like MS hardware sales are bombing, but even if MS would drop out they will make massive revenues on software still.

I'm not surprised. Here in Europe, Playstation is basically the coca cola of gaming and has been since the PS1. People who aren't into video games asume every console they see is a Playstation.

This is true, and while they were in a rough spot with PS3, it consistently outsold the 360 pretty much since launch. PS3 even outsold the 360 WW, while being on the market a fair bit later. And this is Sony's worst selling home console. It had bad press, a far higher price for a good while and everything.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

About Starfield, I like the genre but I doubt many consumers even know about it? In the end its a space opera RPG of sorts. Its a harder sell than, say, Spiderman, it also took TES many years to become a behemoth.

Its not going to significantly increase Xbox sales. I'd be very surprised if it does. First let the game actually be good, which is not a given considering the track record of Bethesda and MS. It can crash and burn like Fallout 76.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Let's wait till the next E3 before making silly comments like that!

Sarcastic Good Luck With That GIF by ION

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
There are almost too many benefits and no downsides with this approach versus what they currently have to suffer through.
There's a fairly obvious downside that their existing PC storefront is a complete mess / one of the hardest to use on PC. And that's on top of PC endemic issues that make it less user friendly than a console to begin with.

But nothing that is impossible to fix of course - and maybe a major shift in strategy is precisely what's needed to finally give them the focus to do so - just the track record isn't on their side at the moment.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Europe Data:

March Hardware:
1. PS5 - Up 400%
2. Switch - Down 19%
3. Xbox Series - Down 13%

Q1 Hardware:
1. PS5 - Up 369%
2. Switch - Down 18%
3. Xbox Series - Down 10%

These are devastating figures for xbox and I don't understand how there are no consequences in the direction of the brand, while PS5 multiplies its sales x5 they drop, and you still have to read nonsense asking for Ryan's resignation while they applaud Spencer's management.

And if you look at the projection relative to the other months, it looks like Xbox Series is getting worse further into 2023 than at the beginning. I'm assuming in January Xbox could have been down -8%, then in February they could have been down -9%, and then in March down -13%.

It looks like it's getting worse as each month passes.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is also after Sony increased the PS5 price.

Something that literally everyone has forgotten about. Do people even realized that Sony increased the price of the PS5 AFTER it came out?

MCU fatigue didn't really impact No Way Home though. In fact NWH was the standout for Phase 4, and I think it's partly because the Spiderman films aren't really "viewed" as part of the MCU the same way the other films are. They don't have to worry about Disney/Marvel management screwing things up, which is easily to Spiderman's benefit.

It didn't really hurt Black Panther 2 either. Especially when you consider the "main" character of that series died in real life and could be in the second movie.

Sw0pDiller

This PS5 succes would not be a real problem for Microsoft if they sold more subscribtions. but they are selling less consoles and sales of subscribtion models stall... this last part is concerning.... MS going third party incoming? They have enough money to hold out until next gen so they can start over and try to pull gamers away from PS with big A/B and zenimax exclusives. plus a new gears of war might be a system seller if they make it a launchgame. battle lost, war not over.

This PS5 succes would not be a real problem for Microsoft if they sold more subscribtions. but they are selling less consoles and sales of subscribtion models stall... this last part is concerning.... MS going third party incoming? They have enough money to hold out until next gen so they can start over and try to pull gamers away from PS with big A/B and zenimax exclusives. plus a new gears of war might be a system seller if they make it a launchgame. battle lost, war not over.
The console warz is over when Phil admitted Play Station/Nintendo "were not their competitors" but Amazon/Google.

Microsoft is kind of in a good place though. Even if they drop hardware at some point in the future, they will have Activision and Zenimax. They can publish their monster hits on Playstation too. I do think Sony needs competition, and its not like MS hardware sales are bombing, but even if MS would drop out they will make massive revenues on software still.
Really curious how MS will drop hardware yet still support their cloud gaming infrastructure unless they will drop that as well. People think they will replace Xbox blades with PlayStation ones? What about all those legacy titles they currently support? Why would customers buy their products again if they end support for the customers they have now? In addition if Xbox has no games what would be the point of becoming third party?

Pretty sure PS2 outsold the original Xbox pretty significantly as well and it's not like MS has ever led a console sales race. Thinking MS will drop out is wishful thinking and similar to the same thinking that has existed since the original Xbox. People hoped they'd drop out then people hope they'd drop out now. There is plenty of money in this industry for every company to be successful. Fewer choices isn't better for consumers.

sachos

He’s still at it 🤷

I don't get it. How can it be niche when its selling 2:1 and Nintendo has done even bigger numbers. When it comes to software sales the difference is still high when Nintendo and Sony keep charting on top sales charts while Xbox is nowhere to be found.
I agree though that they have potential to catch up once all those games listed start releasing but the recent Redfall and Ghostwire Tokyo news has made me doubt them yet again.

I don't get it. How can it be niche when its selling 2:1 and Nintendo has done even bigger numbers. When it comes to software sales the difference is still high when Nintendo and Sony keep charting on top sales charts while Xbox is nowhere to be found.
I agree though that they have potential to catch up once all those games listed start releasing but the recent Redfall and Ghostwire Tokyo news has made me doubt them yet again.
is as Niche as Spider-Man

Jemm

Not that surprising, as March 2022 was a very good month for Xbox and PS5 had supply issues:

This year's estimates:

Soosa

Banned
I'm not surprised. Here in Europe, Playstation is basically the coca cola of gaming and has been since the PS1. People who aren't into video games asume every console they see is a Playstation.
Indeed. It have been annoying and / or funny to read for 2-3 years how some people(mainly from US) talk about xbox like it would have ANY chance to win against Playstation globally. Like how different world there is, it is almost delusional from European perspective.

And the praise of series S as "incredible game pass machine that makes sales go through the roof!".

While in reality series S have almost no value, here at Finland it is easy to see that 1 month old series S in like new condition wont sell even for low as 100€. That is basically like 50-60€ for the console itself, and those still wont sell.

Series S have been available since the launch, PS5 have been available finally for 1-2 months here. And series X have been sometimes available for weeks/months, but now is sold out. Which means that there isnt that much of demand for it, but it also means that they cant produce them enough to have them on shelf.

Which would lead into conclusion that they failed by making too much of series S whom gamers or casuals really dont want, and have failed to make enough series x to at least have them available.

Personally I think that series X is first good xbox after the OG, controller sucks with bad stick placement + ergonomy, but the system itself is nice and it is good to have next to ps5. Gamepass is really nice, if you bought it for 1e -> 36 months for 91€ kind of conversion deal. For full price I would just buy used xbox games as they have much lower value than ps5 games.

And even switch basically never sold out here, that shows how strong Playstation really is.

SkylineRKR

^ I have Series S and its a good machine with the same features as SX but at lower specs and less storage. It was especially good when you couldn't buy a next-gen system. The gameplay experience for me was largely the same, its fast, no more load times, has quick resume, some 120hz games, VRR etc. But I wouldn't call it a good GPU machine. If it was that, MS should've at least doubled its storage. I mainly bought S as I am a Playstation gamer and wanted to see if Xbox ecosystem and GPU was for me.

First year I was happy with it, though MS itself released nothing big like Sony did. But as of now i am happy I didn't buy the more expensive Series X. It would collect dust by now. I have too many PS5 games to play now and I prefer Sony's system and games, and also controller. Third party games are 99% identical anyway. I am also waiting for a PSVR2 price drop, which I think is inevitable, another option MS doesn't have.

I know the twitter guy is lolchartz but if those estimates are correct, PS5 would outsell Xbox somewhat more than 2:1 in US. Which for MS should be an increase over the last generation while PS5 without constraints seems to outsell PS4.

Poltz

They are comparing to mobile gaming and PC I think.

Excellent PS5 sales, accompanied by extra Dualsense sales. I wonder about the revenue of the Dualsense Edge and how much is its profit margin. It is a premium accessory so the margins must be pretty high. Also, why is RDR2 up in the least?
Yes exactly Controllers to make is very cheap and basic so profit margins must be very high on that expensive controller

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
And the praise of series S as "incredible game pass machine that makes sales go through the roof!".
The praise itself isn't wrong, it's a nice machine.
The silly part is the notion a subscription will sell hw, which never happened in history of consumer electronics products.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Don't try and rationalize retard console/brand warrior shilling.

Top Bottom