• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eve Online tactical shooter is in development at CCP London (Dust 514 devs)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.pcgamesn.com/project-nova/eve-online-tactical-shooter

unannounced_eve_online_fps_game-580x334.jpg

Eve Online developer CCP Games is working on another FPS game set in the sci-fi world of New Eden, the company revealed during this year’s Fanfest in Reykjavik. CCP says the game is currently in pre-production, and that it’s an online tactical shooter with “atmospheric visuals” that’s being developed at the company’s London studio.

“We recognise that a hard sci-fi FPS game set in the Eve Universe is a very popular concept, and CCP is committed to offering an innovative multiplayer shooter with atmospheric visuals,” the company said in a statement released during Fanfest. “We want to show you rather than tell you how we have evolved the concept, and we’re looking forward to doing so when the time comes to reveal the game.”

Dust 514 video

Tomeru

Anybody who has put any serious time on Eve and knows CCP can't help but laugh hard at this.
True. These guys are stuck in place for the last decade (or more). Eve is fine because there is nothing like it. Shooters is a different story. Good luck to them and their "innovations" 😂

Elysion

Banned
Dust 514? I think I vaguely remember a game with that title being announced many years ago, at a Sony conference I believe? It might have even been during the PS3 era, or maybe I‘m misremembering…

Dust 514? I think I vaguely remember a game with that title being announced many years ago, at a Sony conference I believe? It might have even been during the PS3 era, or maybe I‘m misremembering…
The idea of the game sounded innovative, but what we actually got was nothing close to matching it. I think with today's systems, how today's online works with games and how developers have an easier time connecting separate games together, it could potentially work but I'm not sure if the audience is there.

CuNi

I still don't understand the decision to shut down Dust 514 instead of porting it to PC.
But I mean now I at least know what CCP needs the 20$ per month sub money for.

manfestival

I had fun with the game though I admit I was just playing it to play it and not really knowing or feeling like I was doing anything... like planetside 2

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This studio makes junk.

Reading their history on Wiki they first made a board game to to build funds to make games. Even their board game got shit ratings. Pretty hard on BGG to get a bad rating of 5.8/10.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
This studio makes junk.

Reading their history on Wiki they first made a board game to to build funds to make games. Even their board game got shit ratings. Pretty hard on BGG to get a bad rating of 5.8/10.

😂

They made a single shard pvp mmorpg with permanent loss of gear upon death and gave every player the ability to shoot you. Over 20 years later, it’s still around.

Eve was a stroke of genius - albeit undoubtedly niche because most players are risk averse, is one of the few mmorpgs where the protagonists of the story are the players.

Sadly whatever stroke of genius they had while designing Eve, it didn’t last into their future products.

Dust 514 sounded great on paper but it ran like absolute shit and controlled even worse. Planetside 2 has this area covered anyway, I really don't see the point in this.

Rykan

Okay unrelated question:

One of the bad guys at the end of the first John Wick is playing a super generic looking FPS and I'm pretty sure that its Dust 514. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Top Bottom