• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever been in a trance when you were gaming and lots of time goes by?

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Remember playing TLOU when it first comes out, looks around me all of a sudden and its ten hours later with all these plates of food and cans of brewski around me, house such a mess looks like I let some hoarders squat in it, gotta go to works in 4 hours.

chris-farley.gif

Some games just suck you in. This happen to you?

Gold Member
Yeah, pretty much every MMO I played back in the day. Star Wars Galaxies and LotRO - I lost weeks playing lol.

Reactions: Dis

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah, has happened for lots of games for me over the years. It has been a while though, mainly because I can’t play for very long sessions at a time these days.

NahaNago

Final Fantasy 14 before the remake did it for me. I'd lose like 6-8 hours almost daily somehow and I'm always left thinking where did the time go. I would feel like I had only played for like a little over an hour. civ 5 used to be just as bad but I play close attention now to how long I play that game.

Last edited:

laynelane

There's been so many times when I'll suddenly realize how many hours have flown by, how hungry I am, and tired too. Usually it's my cats giving my leg a little scratch for their meal that snaps me out of it lol.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Lost entire weekends to WOW when it first came out, me and the ex would sit on our laptops, order pizza, drink beer and play all hours, when we weren't playing it we where discussing the game... Good times

Idk if counts or if is even true.

When I was a kid I went to a friend house (I was around 12) we played turtle ninjas on Nintendo (nes or snes don’t remember )
He always tell me that I slept for 10 minutes holding the control and pressing the buttons but closed eyes and relaxed body. I don’t remember at all… and he always swears it’s true lol , that my character was only walking diagonal down haha

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Age of Empires 2 recently. The combination of small scale micro-management merged with slow moving broad goals tricks my brain. Snapped out of it and realized 6 hours had passed and I spent the whole time building quadruple walls with guard towers I didn't even need lol.

Valheim is similar, with the slow and methodical crafting pace of the game.

begotten

MGS1 on release I pretty much played start to finish with just 1 nap break.
GTA4 on release I felt like I did nothing but play that game for a week straight on 360.

drezz

Satasfactory

Like... So much time fiddeling with things too make things work better and pretty.

Also currently with VR on PSVR2... Playing The walking dead: Saint's and Sinners Chapter 2 where Im... taking my silly time making things look pretty in the hub / sleep&resting area.
Silly, but time goes by.
Im having fun.

Neff

bought Commodore 64 Tetris on school lunch break because I heard it was good
started the tape loading when I got back home
game finishes loading while I'm half-undressed from my uniform
decide to give it a quick go to see what it's like
4 hours later I'm still sat there wearing half a sweater and a sock

flying_sq

Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sitting down to play for an hour, then realizing its 2am and I need to get to bed.

Lusal

Neo Member
Fallout 3 on the 360. Was up early as I was in vacation. Booted up the gsme at 8am, played until 2am straight through and then went straight to bed. Never left my living room except for 2 small bathroom breaks.

What a glorious time and a great memory with that amazing game.

Fuz

Banned
SoMI, Daggerfall, Vanilla, various FF... probably more, can't be sure.

Last edited:

soulbait

Civilization games have this effect on me. I am always saying, "One more turn." Then I look at my watch, 5 hours has passed, and it is 4 am. I actually had to stop playing them at time due to how addicted I can get to them.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Persona games do this to me. I'll sit down to play for 1-2 hours and then all of a sudden it's 10 hours later. I'm going to replay Persona 5 Royal again soon :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

DaGwaphics

No game ever made me lose time like rollercoaster tycoon, what an amazing game for the time. There was always something to optimize, it set my efficiency loving brain ablaze.

It's those sim games that will get you. I remember having a couple really long sessions with one of the Railroad manager games.

For me it is generally more a case of playing for just a bit before going to bed and than realizing I don't have much time to sleep now. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

danklord

Gold Member
It happens to me with open world games when the checklist grind melts with my reality. Once I realize it's happened I usually take a month off from that game.

Deerock71

I really have to be mindful of it, but Octopath Traveler 2 can EASILY drain my Switch OLED battery before I realize how much time I've been playing.

Koppelthorn

Banned
I restarted DEATH STRANDING recently and this has been happening to me. What was supposed to be a Sunday where I got plenty 'o sleep turned into having no REM sleep :messenger_dizzy:

Now I feel like I can sense the scary things; wheres my BB???

Aenima

Funny enough, The Sims
Pretty much any game that lets me build shit, has this effect. I start bulding a base, house, or whatever, when i notice the sun is rising and i havent slept yet.

FF7 was the only "normal" game i was so hooked to the story i did a 24h session just taking breaks to eat and bathroom.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Fuz

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yes, I've played WoW before.

Honestly happens whenever I know I've got nothing else to do though, cleared 80% of Dredge on Sunday in one sitting.

Top Bottom