• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evercade Handheld firmware 2.0.0 released, includes new user interface and many features similar to Evercade VS

Agent X

Blaze Entertainment has released firmware 2.0.0 for the Evercade Handheld today. This includes a new user interface similar to the one found on the Evercade VS system. Information about the update can be found at this blog post introducing the new update:

As seen on that page:

Alongside new display options and the addition of extra languages, we’ve completely redesigned the menu screen, added new themes exclusive for the handheld, and provided many of the benefits of our new UI. This includes Save Game images, the ability to delete your saves, and the addition of the “Controller Mode” which will allow for Evercade VS users with the Evercade VS Link Cable to use their handheld as an additional controller.

They've also posted the following changelog, which gives details on many of the new features that have been added.

Changelog – Evercade Handheld v2.0.0 – 16/12/2021

BUGS

• Fixed audio for Main Menu when running in 720p
  • Fixed audio for intro video when running in 720p

MAIN MENU FEATURES

• Added brand new menu system for handheld and 720p output
  • Added in-game details and control mapping list per game
  • Added new video intro and branding
  • Added Main Menu game sort options
  • Added Dutch and Polish languages
  • Added Main Menu scanlines
  • Improved screen dimming options
  • Added optional battery percentage display
  • Added in-game display setting options
  • Added Main Menu themes “Neon” & “Origin”
  • Added “Load Last Save” option
  • Added loading screen message when loading games
  • Added Controller Mode for Evercade VS (Requires Evercade VS Link Cable, available seperately)

GAMEPLAY FEATURES

• Added brand in-game menu system for handheld and 720p outputs
  • Added “Pixel Perfect” aspect ratio option
  • Added Nearest Neighbour Filtering to “Pixel Perfect” when running in 720p
  • Added “Subtle” & “Strong” scanline options
  • Added “Bezels” with six individual bezel options
  • Overhauled and improved input handling to decrease input latency
  • Added global performance fixes throughout
  • Added Quick Save / Quick Load options
  • Improved and overhauled save state system to also allow screenshots
  • Added ability to delete savestates from “Save” and “Load” screens
  • Added digital control mapping display to in-game

FIXES

• Fixed a number of typos and game descriptions across cartridges
  • Added better error handling on device
  • Number of internal fixes and overhauls to improve backend stability and future-proofing

Here's their official announcement on Twitter, which includes a picture showing the new UI on the Evercade Handheld:

Here is a video from Classy Gaming Fun which describes the installation process and shows some of the new UI features:

I've only played around with the system briefly after updating, but I can already say that the new UI is a vast improvement over the old one. It looks sharp and clean, and I like seeing the game summaries and even control layouts on the screen. I haven't tried out the new display options, but the addition of "pixel perfect" mode is certainly welcome. There are also scanline options, which I haven't tried yet, but maybe those are better suited for outputting to a TV. Save states now have screen shots associated with them, which is also a feature I greatly appreciate.

Banned
this looks like such a cool little platform, but that 16:9 aspect ration annoyed me from the very start :/

Last edited:

Agent X

this looks like such a cool little platform, but that 16:9 aspect ration annoyed me from the very start :/

The aspect ratio of the screen shouldn't be a concern. The screen resolution of the Evercade Handheld is 480x272, which is the same as the Sony PSP. While it's an approximately 16:9 screen, the resolution is high enough that it could reasonably accommodate games from many earlier video game platforms, without being required to distort the image.

If you've ever played some of the better classic game compilations on PSP (such as the ones from Namco and Capcom), then you might recall that they offer several display modes. For example, one mode stretches the image both horizontally and vertically to fill the entire 480x272 screen. Another mode would keep the original aspect ratio of the game (usually 4:3 or something close to it for home consoles, while handhelds tend to vary greatly), and stretch that image as large as possible within the confines of the screen, with a border on the left and right sides (which might be blank, or filled with "wallpaper"). A third mode renders the image at the exact pixel resolution of the game, which results in borders on all four sides, but provides an extremely crisp image.

The old Evercade Handheld firmware had the first two options that I described above, which are full screen stretch and original aspect ratio. (I almost always used original aspect ratio, very rarely touched the full screen stretch.) The new firmware adds the third "pixel perfect" option, which I have now tried on several games, and can say that it looks excellent if you don't mind having a slightly smaller image. With all three of these display modes, along with other options like scanlines and several selectable bezels (borders), they give the user a great amount of control in tailoring the image to his satisfaction.

The aspect ratio of the screen shouldn't be a concern. The screen resolution of the Evercade Handheld is 480x272, which is the same as the Sony PSP. While it's an approximately 16:9 screen, the resolution is high enough that it could reasonably accommodate games from many earlier video game platforms, without being required to distort the image.

If you've ever played some of the better classic game compilations on PSP (such as the ones from Namco and Capcom), then you might recall that they offer several display modes. For example, one mode stretches the image both horizontally and vertically to fill the entire 480x272 screen. Another mode would keep the original aspect ratio of the game (usually 4:3 or something close to it for home consoles, while handhelds tend to vary greatly), and stretch that image as large as possible within the confines of the screen, with a border on the left and right sides (which might be blank, or filled with "wallpaper"). A third mode renders the image at the exact pixel resolution of the game, which results in borders on all four sides, but provides an extremely crisp image.

The old Evercade Handheld firmware had the first two options that I described above, which are full screen stretch and original aspect ratio. (I almost always used original aspect ratio, very rarely touched the full screen stretch.) The new firmware adds the third "pixel perfect" option, which I have now tried on several games, and can say that it looks excellent if you don't mind having a slightly smaller image. With all three of these display modes, along with other options like scanlines and several selectable bezels (borders), they give the user a great amount of control in tailoring the image to his satisfaction.
Not to mention some of the newer Indie games that release for it can support the full 16:9 display. It's a nice little handheld that I'd recommend.

Ozzie666

Konami would be right to put a new Castile Vania, Contra or Gradius on this. I'd love to see some developers bring back some old 'new' favourites. I know it's not the consoles purpose, but would be cool :)

Top Bottom