• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everspace (Early Access) |OT| Rogue(like) One

Was in the first run where the computer is explaining everything. Pressed X on accident, super boosted into a carrier and died XD. Well that was a short first run.

SnowTeeth

Banned
My 970 maintains 60 fps with everything epic but shadows at medium. Try adjusting the shadows.

Even with shadows at medium with everything else at epic the framerate makes the game unplayable.

It keeps close to a steady 60fps at high though, but at this stage epic settings is too much for the 960. Dammit.

EDIT: Scratch that. GTX960 4GB struggles with High settings too. Not good.

The strafing gives this some unexpected 6DOF style.

Happy to see how well this turned out. It looks gorgeous, controls well, and combat feels satisfying, between the vibrant weapon effects, swooping and strafing, and trench run-esque flying around wrecks and through asteroids

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The strafing give this some unexpected 6DOF style.

Happy to see how well this turned out. It looks gorgeous, controls well, and combat feels satisfying, between the vibrant weapon effects, swooping and strafing, and trench run-esque flying around wrecks and through asteroids

The best explosions ever in a space sim as well.

I'm thinking this game is going to be huge once word of mouth gets around, and it gets on Xbox.

They really did successfully create a new genre here, and it's just going to get even better as they add content towards release.

I'm going to be having a Space weekend! I've just bought Everspace and Rebel Galaxy, i have CDF Starfighter and NMS at home together with House of the Dying Sun.

This game looks neat from the couple of videos i've seen on Steam. Hang on, it time to go home! Double Woot!

nynt9

What's the persistence mechanic in this like? To me that's what roguelikes live or die by. I saw the OP, but how impactful is that?

Elandyll

Banned
Does the Early Access feature the whole single player campaign (even if not fully detailed/ with placeholders), or is it still being worked on/ not implemented yet?

I admit I got a bit burned-out with Subnautica and TLD over time (Stranded Deep too now, but not sure that one is getting any form of story), replaying the game multiple times over periods of months, to now only wanting to go back in when the story modes will be in.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does the Early Access feature the whole single player campaign (even if not fully detailed/ with placeholders), or is it still being worked on/ not implemented yet?

I admit I got a bit burned-out with Subnautica and TLD over time (Stranded Deep too now, but not sure that one is getting any form of story), replaying the game multiple times over periods of months, to now only wanting to go back in when the story modes will be in.

It's a rogue like with tons of random content content that gets generated each run. As of now, it's got a lot of stuff in there. It will keep you busy for quite a few runs.

Even when the content repeats, granular parts of the content pieces are randomized as well. For instance, you might come across a wreck you saw in a previous run, but this time all the loot inside it is in different places, and there may be enemies waiting in ambush at different places in the wreck.

The experience as of now is pretty complete, and they are going to be adding more and more set piece content into the random generator loop up to release.

It is a lot like Rogue Legacy/Spelunky in that regard.

danowat

Banned
The best explosions ever in a space sim as well.

I'm thinking this game is going to be huge once word of mouth gets around, and it gets on Xbox.

They really did successfully create a new genre here, and it's just going to get even better as they add content towards release.
I had an inkling it could be something special.....

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Such a cool game even with it's current and limited features. This is how you do space stuff, mining and crafting Hello Games, THIS...IS...HOW!
I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. Great work ROCKFISH! Looking forward to new stuff and features and SP campaign too.

Baalzebup

There is definitely some story going for it, what with all the dialogue bits you get when you get to a sector you haven't reached before. On my last game, I actually reached a system with what seemed to be some kind of fixed scenario. I couldn't even complete one part of it before some weird gravity-wind anomaly apparently threw a space-rock really hard at my ship because I saw something hit my ship and I went 100 > 0 in one go. And I had just driven off some other really bad-ass named ship as well.

Baalzebup

Damn the game is hard! When huge enemy ships jump in right in front of you, it's almost instant death.

That is pretty much the game telling you you've overstayed your welcome in that particular area. By the time the Okkar Interceptors warp into the system, it is high time to mosey to the next stage. The warship won't be long behind them.

This game is pretty much FTL + Descent and I fucking love that combination.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I have been keeping my eye on this for a while, I think I will likely jump in adfter the game gets its first major update so I can see how the devs treat early access.

Combat reminds me a lot of freelancer, shame there is no hotas support but this looks like a game that is best played in 3rd person with kb+m anyway.

Elandyll

Banned
There is definitely some story going for it, what with all the dialogue bits you get when you get to a sector you haven't reached before. On my last game, I actually reached a system with what seemed to be some kind of fixed scenario. I couldn't even complete one part of it before some weird gravity-wind anomaly apparently threw a space-rock really hard at my ship because I saw something hit my ship and I went 100 > 0 in one go. And I had just driven off some other really bad-ass named ship as well.

Interesting.

Maybe still a bit early for me, but will definitely keep an eye on it.
Thanks!

wuth

What's the space flight like? Straight up arcade or does it have realistic drift?

Basically, wondering if I can practice dogfighting in this game while I wait on Star Citizen to get more fleshed out.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
What's the space flight like? Straight up arcade or does it have realistic drift?

Basically, wondering if I can practice dogfighting in this game while I wait on Star Citizen to get more fleshed out.

It's a lot more arcade. Could still be handy for getting used to 6 DOF combat, but you're way more maneuverable here.

I usually prefer gamepads, but mouse and keyboard feels so good with this. Using the mouse to aim and direct your shop just feels [i[right[/i].

Some screenshots from my last run

XczBg8A.jpg
97NJyqb.jpg

zwLUmB9.jpg
RFYVvCB.jpg

lyLcS9C.jpg
MhFXLgD.jpg

Baalzebup

How the everliving fuck is one supposed to kill an
Okkar Frigate
(big fucking ship, but not the (GTFO) warship). The Corvettes are manageable, but I don't see a realistic way of bringing that bad boy down without that one BFG-equivalent secondary weapon, ACM-9000 or something like that.

I threw a mountain of death at it and plinked barely 25-30% of its total HP before I ran out of time. By the time of my death, there were 3 Interceptors and 3 capital ships in that little corner of space. Crazy and exhilarating in its own way, but that damn ship was a complete stonewall for progression as it had a jump inhibitor. It wasn't even *that* far into the run, a medium threat sector 5 area.

Chakan

Played for some hours. Game looks amazing, plays well, but, really, its very frustrating to lose everything you managed to get when you die. Takes forever to dramatically improve the ship with the money you got from each run.

For me, personally, I believe the game does a lot of things right. Like I said the graphics and gameplay (especiallay with mouse+keyboard) are great, but gets boring, tiresome and repetitive after a while.

Purkake4

Banned
Looking a little more into it, I'm really impressed with the "levels". Can't really think of another space game that manages to incorporate Decent style dodging and obstacles into space battles. And it's not just "ugly space object X" but there's hollow asteroid pirate bases, derelict capital ships, beautiful crystal fields, space stations etc.

Purkake4

Banned
Once you get a feel for it, the gameplay loop is a bit like Binding of Isaac in space. You got your random weapons, active items, passive items, bombs and consumables and the levels are (at least somewhat) procedurally generated following a general path.

Bought this but haven't had a chance to try it properly and actually play, looked gorgeous when I just booted it up for a minute to see the graphics though.
Yes, added hardware reqs to OP.

Not sure about joystick support though.

Edit : I believe only XB360 and XBO pads are officially supported, although the devs says you can use a DS4 using DS4windows

Any game that uses Xinput you can use DS4Windows.

Baalzebup

My 14th run was the one that I actually managed to get to the end of the current content. I'm kinda surprised, honestly, since I also did the challenge that demands leaving the first area with absolutely no equipment. A fun way to play when the starting areas have become routine.

When you have the energy capacity for it, the Devastator sub-routine is absolutely fantastic.

jacobeid

Banned
Looks amazing. Fuck it, purchased.

Edit: Holy shit this game is incredible. I almost had to refund the game but turning camera shaking off helped with the motion sickness I was getting.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
its very frustrating to lose everything you managed to get when you die.
Yep. I wish you could keep the upgrades, weapons and such after you die to just make your next runs harder (which is fair and cool) and it's not that it's so hard to do and rebalance the game to make it work that way.... they just need to look at Rogue Legacy (amazing rogue-like game) which has exactly that.

Castef

Banned
Playing it right now.

Very interesting game, a bit limited in its current state.

Pros:
- Good graphics all around (tried the PC version running a decent gaming machine)
- Excellent control scheme
- Combat is fun!
- Sense of progression feels about right
- Difficulty level is right, the game could be difficult yet not frustrating
- Once you enable the Retrieve perk the game gains that "Souls" feeling

Cons:
- At the moment is quite repetitive, it requires more variety in events
- Too few different weapons. They should really add more variety in them (i think there are just 5 or 6 main weapons and 3/4 missile types)
- Special events are too much rare
- Flak Cannon is a beast! °_°
- Lots of space sectors are too similar
- Soundtrack seems somehow out of place. I think the music is very good, yet... good for another kind of game.

They should really work a bit more on the game, as it is very fun and engaging. Hope they release the new ships soon.

Purkake4

Banned
So this seems to control pretty much like Freelancer, which sounds pretty awesome.

Also those corvettes looks scary as shit.

Have any of the backers here had success exchanging their Steam key for a Windows Store key for Play Anywhere support? I emailed immediately after receiving my Steam key asking for it to be exchanged but have not heard back.

heringer

I'm keeping an eye on this one. As much as I want to play it right now, I'd rather wait and play the complete version. Hopefully it doesn't take forever like some EA games!

UCBooties

Oh man, I am gonna need this. Unfortunately my PC is completely useless for games at this point. (It's nearly 10 years old!)

Waiting for that XBO release!

Corpekata

Banned
Have any of the backers here had success exchanging their Steam key for a Windows Store key for Play Anywhere support? I emailed immediately after receiving my Steam key asking for it to be exchanged but have not heard back.

You're probably the only one asking for that lol.

eosos

Banned
Really hoping they can create a fun singleplayer campaign. If they get that right I'll be buying this for sure.

Top Bottom