• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everspace (Early Access) |OT| Rogue(like) One

Castef

Banned
Ok, wrote a preview for it (in italian). So far I'm really liking it. Yet, after a bunch of hours it is quickly becoming repetitive. I think they should really add more diversified situations.

Every single star sector I visit starts with a battle. It is almost unavoidable.
So, the flux of every sector become:
- Kill the enemies
- Launch a probe (if available)
- Grab everything
- Leave

It is not really about your choices. I mean, It has no sense to avoid mining resources, it's not like "Ok, this time I wont do mining and I'll just fight". No way, you HAVE to mine, there is not an alternate route to it in order to survive.

This limits the ways you are able to "live" the experience.

Can't wait to see how they develop the game, as its basics are very, very good.

Arttemis

Ok, wrote a preview for it (in italian). So far I'm really liking it. Yet, after a bunch of hours it is quickly becoming repetitive. I think they should really add more diversified situations.

Every single star sector I visit starts with a battle. It is almost unavoidable.
So, the flux of every sector become:
- Kill the enemies
- Launch a probe (if available)
- Grab everything
- Leave

It is not really about your choices. I mean, It has no sense to avoid mining resources, it's not like "Ok, this time I wont do mining and I'll just fight". No way, you HAVE to mine, there is not an alternate route to it in order to survive.

This limits the ways you are able to "live" the experience.

Can't wait to see how they develop the game, as its basics are very, very good.
Pass this along to the devs! They seem to handle and appreciate feedback.

A patch was released and added a few new things:

New Features

Added energy regeneration bonus when standing still
Added option to adjust FOV (PC / Mac)
Added option to unlock crosshair from screen center when using gamepad
Added new device: Teleporter (icon still placeholder)
Added new device: Missile Defense System (icon still placeholder)
Added new weapon: Coil Gun (basically what Shock Rifle II was before, icons are still placeholders)
Added new perk: Bonus resources
Added option to not use system mouse position in-game (PC / Mac) (thus disabling mouse acceleration and having different speeds in-game and in menus)
Added mouse sensitivity option on Mac
Added functionality to make screenshots with F9 (PC / Mac)

Tweaks

Improved gamepad controls
Improved readability of dialog subtitles
Ramp-up time progress of weapons are now displayed on the crosshair
Secure containers now have special HUD markers
Added list of completed challenges to stats
Interceptor countdown no longer decreases with sector progression
Changed "Bonus gear" perk unlock requirements
Floodlight challenge: Reduced required amount to 30
Increased asteroid field variance
Increased Thermo Gun homing agility and energy consumption
Increased Flak Cannon II damage
Reworked Shock Rifle II to behave more like the base version
Reduced Time Extender cooldown and energy consumption
Reduced Cloak duration and cooldown
Added ramp-up time of 0.5s to ARC 9000 so you don't accidentally fire it
Shield Booster, Damage Limiter and Damage Booster effects are no longer stackable
Pickups that are dropped inside the event horizon of black holes are now removed
Fuel and resources bought from trader are now directly given to the player while in trading screen
Nano Kits can no longer be used if no ship component is damaged
Increased damage tolerance of Colonial Fighter, Light Fighter and Collector Drone for becoming hostile
Reduced beam laser camera shake
Increased Okkar Corvette loot quality
Increased hacking radius for jump suppressor and comm hub

Bugfixes

Fixed some wrong buttons being shown during tutorial instructions
Fixed removal of two access keys when opening a secure container
Fixed neutrals not getting hostile when using plasma mines
Fixed a bug where it was possible to get inifinite rerolls of bonus equipment offers

danowat

Banned
Instabuy for me.

Controls are way too sensitive though, even on the lowest setting.

Framerate is good, dips when inside asteroids though bizarrely, other than that looks and plays extremely well.

danowat

Banned
I love the gameplay loop, it's very satisfying, the combat is great, the ship is extremely responsive, maybe a touch too responsive, I like the way the game let's you find things out for yourself
I entered one zone that had a jump jammer, it had a percentage jammed at the top of the screen, I assumed it was time based, noticed it was decreasing and just got on with fighting and looting, then notice it went back down, so realised it was proximity based, so headed towards where the percentage was increasing and found a jamming station I had too hack
Couple of things I would like, a next hostile target button would be handy, also I wish the scan probes were crafted out of less rare mats.

danowat

Banned
Bloody wise ass ship computer!!!

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Danowat32/video/21851289

The game looks serious stunning at times, especially on the later sectors with lighting fields and planets that look like they are about to explode.

One question I had, the energy bar in the centre of the screen shows you available energy, sometimes there will be a blocked out red section that means you can't fully recharge, what does this denote?

danowat

Banned
Something I posted on the devs forum, anyone have any other thoughts?

Firstly, I think the UI needs some tweaking for console players, the target / commodity icons are far too small, especially the ones "on screen", also the text (like jump jammer percentage) and to a lesser extent the icons showing the weapons, consumables etc need more visibility, they get hidden by the scenery.
I wish there was a cycle target button, infact, I wish the whole control system was customizaable, rather than just a couple of pre set settings, the sensitivity of the controller, even at the lowest setting, is way too high.
Once you get some decent perks, the first couple of sectors become a bit grindy, which means it can take an hour to get to a sector where you are having a challenge, to combat this, I'd suggest either adding more difficulty levels (hard, challenging, impossible etc) at the start of the game, and scaling loot to the difficulty, or, letting us skip to a sector to have visited before.
Other than that, cracking little game, lots and lots of fun.

Castef

Banned
Pass this along to the devs! They seem to handle and appreciate feedback.

Ugh! Very bad attitude in the official forum on Steam by users.

They seems like... "fanboy" of the game, you propose things and get "I don't get why would you want something similar?".

Not a very nice place to discuss, actually.

Dear NeoGAFs,

Awesome to see you guys discussing Everspace here on NeoGAF. I just wanted to share the news that a new build for X1 is currently in CERT. It features the most recent changes plus a fix for the crash on a disconnected gamepad.

Cheers,
Michael

Changelog:

New Features
  • Added energy regeneration bonus when standing still
  • Added option to adjust FOV (PC / Mac)
  • Added option to unlock crosshair from screen center when using gamepad
  • Added new device: Teleporter (icon still placeholder)
  • Added new device: Missile Defense System (icon still placeholder)
  • Added new weapon: Coil Gun (basically what Shock Rifle II was before, icons are still placeholders)
  • Added new perk: Bonus resources
  • Added option to not use system mouse position in-game (PC / Mac) (thus disabling mouse acceleration and having different speeds in-game and in menus)
  • Added mouse sensitivity option on Mac
  • Added functionality to make screenshots with F9 (PC / Mac)

Tweaks
  • Improved gamepad controls
  • Improved readability of dialog subtitles
  • Ramp-up time progress of weapons are now displayed on the crosshair
  • Secure containers now have special HUD markers
  • Added list of completed challenges to stats
  • Interceptor countdown no longer decreases with sector progression
  • Changed "Bonus gear" perk unlock requirements
  • Floodlight challenge: Reduced required amount to 30
  • Increased asteroid field variance
  • Increased Thermo Gun homing agility and energy consumption
  • Increased Flak Cannon II damage
  • Reworked Shock Rifle II to behave more like the base version
  • Reduced Time Extender cooldown and energy consumption
  • Reduced Cloak duration and cooldown
  • Added ramp-up time of 0.5s to ARC 9000 so you don't accidentally fire it
  • Shield Booster, Damage Limiter and Damage Booster effects are no longer stackable
  • Pickups that are dropped inside the event horizon of black holes are now removed
  • Fuel and resources bought from trader are now directly given to the player while in trading screen
  • Nano Kits can no longer be used if no ship component is damaged
  • Increased damage tolerance of Colonial Fighter, Light Fighter and Collector Drone for becoming hostile
  • Reduced beam laser camera shake
  • Increased Okkar Corvette loot quality
  • Increased hacking radius for jump suppressor and comm hub

Bugfixes
  • Fixed some wrong buttons being shown during tutorial instructions
  • Fixed removal of two access keys when opening a secure container
  • Fixed neutrals not getting hostile when using plasma mines
  • Fixed a bug where it was possible to get inifinite rerolls of bonus equipment offers
  • Fixed a bug on XB1 where the game crashes when disconnecting the gamepad

Purkake4

Banned
Nice to see the game get actively updated and the devs hanging out.

I really love the concept, the levels are gorgeous, the arcady action is a great counterbalance to what Star Citizen and Elite are doing. I think the roguelike stuff is also nice, but I'd like to see the perks get reworked at some point. At the moment most of them give you a tiny percentage bonus, it's just something you sink your money into because you can. I'd like to see more perks like the one that gives you a choice starting items. Would be nice to be able to have options to customize your run and make each of them feel different, something like the pickup that gives you unlimited energy, but no shield. Just to mix things up a little over a long series of runs.

danowat

Banned
Dear NeoGAFs,

Awesome to see you guys discussing Everspace here on NeoGAF. I just wanted to share the news that a new build for X1 is currently in CERT. It features the most recent changes plus a fix for the crash on a disconnected gamepad.

Cheers,
Michael

Thanks for the update Michael, look forward to trying out the changes in the new patch.

I think the roguelike stuff is also nice, but I'd like to see the perks get reworked at some point. At the moment most of them give you a tiny percentage bonus, it's just something you sink your money into because you can.

I actually quite like the very incremental upgrades, I would imagine if the changes were more sweeping it would be easy to become OP very quickly, there must have a very fine balance between just enough and too much, not easy to strike that balance.

That said, adjustable difficulties would go some way to alleviate that.

Has anyone worked out how much $ it would cost to buy all perks?, I am just trying to get a handle on just how much time you'd need to put into it to get them, I would imagine it is probably many hundreds of hours!

Purkake4

Banned
I actually quite like the very incremental upgrades, I would imagine if the changes were more sweeping it would be easy to become OP very quickly, there must have a very fine balance between just enough and too much, not easy to strike that balance.

That said, adjustable difficulties would go some way to alleviate that.

Has anyone worked out how much $ it would cost to buy all perks?, I am just trying to get a handle on just how much time you'd need to put into it to get them, I would imagine it is probably many hundreds of hours!
Whenever I look at a roguelike, I like to compare it to Binding of Isaac. In BoI you unlock many many more options, but you never improve your stats between plays, what improves is your skill as a player. I feel this is the way it should be for good roguelikes.

danowat

Banned
Oh man... what a nice time to grab an XBOne. Everspace and FH3. :D

Oh, is the game 60fps on the XBone too?
At this point, I'd say no, however I don't think it's 30fps, it's probably somewhere in between, although for some reason, frames dip when you're inside an asteroid.

@cleveridea: We will have to design the HUD and UI for VR mostly from scratch. Hence, we have to finish the game first before we can continue working on the VR implementation. Don't expect any major improvements in VR before Q1 next year.

@Insane Metal: We are aware that Everspace plays much better at 60 fps, like any fast-paced game does. Unfortunately, no chance to hit 60 fps on X1. There is so much stuff going on in Space that you can see near you and far way which is why we can't work with occlusion culling or other common performance optimization techniques. Reducing rendering quality or reducing the resolution wouldn't help as the amount of current actors is CPU-bound. Of course, reducing the amount of actors would have a huge impact on gameplay and balancing which is clearly not what we want for our fans on X1. However, we are actually pretty happy that we almost always see 30+ fps at 1080p with mostly high quality graphic settings.

@danowat: We still see some potential to increase the performance inside of hollow asteroids. However, we would have to redesign the way they are implemented in the game, from scratch. We might do that for the full release but no promises at this point as we still got many more things high up the list.

Arttemis

Ugh! Very bad attitude in the official forum on Steam by users.

They seems like... "fanboy" of the game, you propose things and get "I don't get why would you want something similar?".

Not a very nice place to discuss, actually.

Yup, good idea. :)
Danowat had the right idea, and I'm glad you could pass along the feedback to the most appropriate location.

Starviper

Hey! Awesome to see the devs responding to feedback here on NeoGAF :)

I'm very excited to play the VR enabled version of the game, but am glad I purchased now and have a chance to play and maybe help you guys out a bit.

The game runs very well on my 1070, very cool to see with an Early Access game. My current concern with the game is that the gameplay 'loop' might get old quickly. What steps are you all @Rockfish taking to mitigate that?

I'm aware that the areas I travel to will have some level of randomization to them. It would be nice to see the stations themselves or structures inside asteroids change to some degree as well. From what i've played it seems the structures do not change, but i've only put in a few hours so far. Been a busy month for me :)

Cheers!

Baalzebup

I'm not normally one to comment on single player weapon balance, but dem new Coil guns are perhaps a bit too good. The trashing one can dish out with a combo of Subroutine:Devastator and a Coil Gun II with one energy consumption Mk.3 and two Rate of Fire Mk.3 upgrades is staggering. Only G&B Elite Fighters, Elite and Mk.2 corvettes and the frigates have made me switch to a similary souped up chaingun for the superior hull damage. The hitscan nature of the coil guns make them superlative when facing other fighters. The more specialized weapons simply lose out in practical terms even if the numbers might suggest otherwise.

@cleveridea: We will have to design the HUD and UI for VR mostly from scratch. Hence, we have to finish the game first before we can continue working on the VR implementation. Don't expect any major improvements in VR before Q1 next year.

@Insane Metal: We are aware that Everspace plays much better at 60 fps, like any fast-paced game does. Unfortunately, no chance to hit 60 fps on X1. There is so much stuff going on in Space that you can see near you and far way which is why we can't work with occlusion culling or other common performance optimization techniques. Reducing rendering quality or reducing the resolution wouldn't help as the amount of current actors is CPU-bound. Of course, reducing the amount of actors would have a huge impact on gameplay and balancing which is clearly not what we want for our fans on X1. However, we are actually pretty happy that we almost always see 30+ fps at 1080p with mostly high quality graphic settings.

@danowat: We still see some potential to increase the performance inside of hollow asteroids. However, we would have to redesign the way they are implemented in the game, from scratch. We might do that for the full release but no promises at this point as we still got many more things high up the list.

Oh, thank you so much for the response! :)

When my XBone arrives I'll definetely be picking this up. :)

danowat

Banned
A few pics from the XBO version, it looks so, so good in motion, seriously good looking game.

Screenshot-Original%201_zps9ff5baae.png

Screenshot-Original%203_zpsm4ijdsjh.png

Screenshot-Original%202_zps4mnma676.png

Screenshot-Original_zpsv4ymiurl.png

danowat

Banned
Anyone still on the fence on XBO, and fancies a longer trial, the developers have increased the trial period from one hour, to two hours.

Memory

So far all I've encountered is either swarms of enemies or bases with turrets, are their any mini-boss or carriership battles later on or things to mix it up abit?

I'm just wondering if the full game is just going to be the same few encounters on repeat.

Hesitant to buy the full game if this is the case.

Purkake4

Banned
So far all I've encountered is either swarms of enemies or bases with turrets, are their any mini-boss or carriership battles later on or things to mix it up abit?

I'm just wondering if the full game is just going to be the same few encounters on repeat.

There's at least a corvette that will kick your ass. Not sure if it's part of the people chasing you or not.

danowat

Banned

There's at least a corvette that will kick your ass. Not sure if it's part of the people chasing you or not.

If you spend too long in one area, interceptors spawn, if you destroy them a corvette will spawn.

You also get corvettes as part of the normal enemy spawn in later sectors.

Caayn

Any news about the XPA for this game?
Anyone still on the fence on XBO, and fancies a longer trial, the developers have increased the trial period from one hour, to two hours.
Thanks for the heads-up. Will give this a shot later this week.

Caayn

Just got to play it for a few minutes on the XB1. Controls are indeed very sensitive but after getting used to it I liked it. The ability to instantly change direction (even a 180) feels good.

Well this looks great.

Any word on HOTAS support? While I like my Elite controller as much as anyone could, I mean...I'd rather play this with my HOTAS.

danowat

Banned
I'm still playing the shit out of this game, could almost be my GOTY..........

For anyone who's played the update, does the new ship upgrade seperately, or do the upgrades you've made to the first ship transfer over to the new ship?

Purkake4

Banned
I'm still playing the shit out of this game, could almost be my GOTY..........

For anyone who's played the update, does the new ship upgrade seperately, or do the upgrades you've made to the first ship transfer over to the new ship?
Same upgrade tree, different starting items.

Hey guys,

just wanted to drop a note that we released another major update featuring a new player ship plus 60 further additions and improvements.

Also. the previous update will hit the Xbox/WinStore, soon.

You can find more details in our info update on Kickstarter.

Cheers,
Michael

Purkake4

Banned
Nice to see this getting updated regularly. I like the splitting of the perks and ship-specific perks, hope all ships get them to differentiate them some more.

Top Bottom