• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every “chronically online” conversation is the same [Vox]

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
"Writing a long and furious Twitter thread about something seemingly inconsequential isn’t usually indicative of a logical headspace"

I am posting the full article below in case anyone avoids Vox. I typically do but this article is rather poignant, especially when read through the context of sites like Twitter or ResetEra. It goes in on those weirdos who have to interject their own BS onto other people just enjoying life. I highly recommend you read the entire article but if you want what I think are the highlights, they are below the line break. And just to get it out there, I disagree on the author's take on the Depp/Heard trial.

In October, a woman named Daisey Beaton made a huge mistake: She tweeted about her personal life. “my husband and i wake up every morning and bring our coffee out to our garden and sit and talk for hours,” she wrote. “every morning. it never gets old & we never run out of things to talk to. love him so much.”

If you felt a creeping sense of dread while reading about Daisey and her husband enjoying coffee in their garden, it’s possible you spend too much time online. That’s because despite its seeming innocuousness, Daisey’s post has all the markers of Twitter rage-bait, and by rage-bait I mean a person sharing an experience that may not be entirely universal.

Over the next day, Daisey received all kinds of angry replies: “Who has time to sit and talk for hours everyday? Must be nice,” one woman wrote. “What if we weren’t inherently wealthy and have to work and stuff?” replied another. There were plenty more: “I’m happy for you but it’s just smug, self satisfied bragging if it’s true. Your partner is most likely embarrassed by the tweet, or at least should be.” “I wake up at 6am, shower and go to work for a shift that is a minimum of 10 hours long. This is an unattainable goal for most people.” “You haven’t been married long have you.”

What happened next, though, was just as predictable: Other commenters had a field day replying to those replies (“I wake up every day fully engulfed in flames and being eaten alive by wolves. The fact that your tweet doesn’t represent my experience is a personal affront,” wrote NBC’s Ben Collins, sarcastically), and then a bunch of journalists wrote articles about how wild it was that Twitter users were piling on an innocent woman just for the small sin of humblebragging about her nice mornings. Daisey had briefly become Twitter’s main character, but it was the angry people who became the story.

It’s become something of a sport to unearth these sorts of replies, the ones where strangers make willfully decontextualized moral judgments on other people’s lives. We give these people and these kinds of conversations names: “chronically online” or “terminally online,” implying that too much exposure to too many people’s weird ideas makes us all sort of lose our minds and our sense of shared humanity. For years, people on TikTok and Twitter have delighted in recounting the most “chronically online” takes they’ve ever seen; the compilation below includes a disabled woman being accused of elitism for using a grocery delivery service and a 21-year-old Redditor being accused of “grooming” her 20-year-old boyfriend.

When I posed the question to Twitter — “What was the most chronically online discourse you saw this year?” — the replies were telling: There was “garden coffee lady.” There was someone likening playing fetch with a dog to abuse. There was, somehow, Anne Frank discourse again. There was a spreadsheet of famous authors next to the reasons they were “problematic” (sample: “John Green: ‘harmful depictions of manic episodes,’ William Shakespeare: ‘misogynistic principles enforced in books’”). There was the accusation that the teen actor in a Netflix series was “queerbaiting” because he … acted in the show (he was eventually forced to come out as bisexual in real life). When indie rocker Mitski tweeted that she’d prefer it if her fans didn’t film her the entire time she’s onstage, some fans claimed that her request was insensitive to people with memory-related disabilities.

What all of these arguments have in common is that very few people engage in them in real life. Sure, you might be privately annoyed at your friend who’s always talking about how great their life is when they drone on about their perfect mornings, and you might rightfully point out when an author has an unsavory past, but it’s unlikely that the subject coming up in conversation would lead to mass ridicule. But online, it’s almost a given. A frequently quoted tweetacts as a shorthand for this phenomenon: “Hi, most annoying person you’ve ever encountered here! I noticed this post you wrote in 3 seconds doesn’t line up with every experience I’ve ever had. This is extremely harmful to me, the main character of the universe.”

This is not to say that any accusation of sexism, homophobia, racism, ableism, or elitism is inherently whiny or baseless. In fact, it’s often in the reactions to these assertions where people extrapolate the most ungenerous reading and then dogpile on the person trying to call out injustice. Particularly in discussions of mental health and disability, it’s not always clear whether the person on the other side of the screen is in a safe state of mind. It’s easy to forget, in other words, that writing a long and furious Twitter thread about something seemingly inconsequential isn’t usually indicative of a logical headspace. The inherent contextlessness of platforms like Twitter also works in the opposite direction, though: It’s easy to use the language of social justice to justify anything we want, and by doing so, weakens real, meaningful activism.

Our collective thirst for gossip and controversy, particularly during and post-lockdown, has trained many to actively seek out content that aggravates us and immediately grasp onto its most extreme interpretation. Instead of “some people got mad at a lady for tweeting about her morning,” the joke becomes “having coffee with your husband is classist.” It’s a genre of content I like to call “Type of Guy” syndrome, where people on the internet create a mostly fictional straw man to represent a certain kind of person they dislike and then project it onto the one in front of them.

No news story exemplified this dynamic so unsettlingly as Johnny Depp’s defamation case against Amber Heard, in which the public, the tabloid press, and social media were loudly and firmly on Depp’s side, despite the nuances and facts of the case. Instead, Heard was pilloried as a liar and a “psychopath,” used as a scapegoat for the bubbling backlash against the Me Too movement. Ditto with “West Elm Caleb,” the random 25-year-old in New York City who was outed on TikTok in January for ghosting multiple women on dating apps and immediately became a national shorthand for a shitty person.

“The pathway from ‘bad tweet’ to ‘death threat’ is getting shorter and more well-trod,” the writer and prolific tweeter Brandy Jensen told me in 2020 when I wrote about the year in bad posts. We were already at the point in online culture where it felt like the water was getting uncomfortably hot, where a tweet about bodegas caused a days-long controversy and non-famous people were getting harassed for minor social misdemeanors. You can only scroll through so many angry replies to other people’s angry replies until you realize that nobody comes out looking good here.

If the water was hot two years ago, it’s boiling now. Last month, when a Twitter thread by a woman who sent her neighbors homemade chili went viral, the woman was accused of being a “white savior” and inconsiderate to autistic people (the woman who wrote the thread is autistic). It’s just one example of how high the stakes seem to be for interpersonal encounters that are objectively nobody’s business, and how so often our thirst for drama is really a thirst for punishment.

Because none of these encounters matter. It literally doesn’t matter that someone made chili for their neighbors because you were never meant to know about it in the first place. It’s not your business. To demand retribution against someone who says they enjoy coffee with their husband or makes surprise chili for strangers — or even someone who complains about these things! — reflects something far more disturbing than humblebrags or being a presumptuous neighbor. It’s that these reactions are so normalized online that they’re almost boring. Of course people are going to freak out about someone’s misguided problematic author spreadsheet even though it has zero bearing on the real world whatsoever, and of course people are going to accuse a beloved indie rocker of ableism for being annoyed by constant flash photography.

It doesn’t have to be this way! People in their regular lives don’t react this way to things. It’s only on platforms where controversy and drama are prioritized for driving engagement where we’re rewarded for despising each other. Perhaps, this holiday break, we could all use some time having a warm drink of choice with our loved ones in the proverbial garden, wherever that may be.

My highlights:

Below is a great summary of the entire article. We've all seen it and rolled our eyes or laughed at those individuals.
It’s become something of a sport to unearth these sorts of replies, the ones where strangers make willfully decontextualized moral judgments on other people’s lives. We give these people and these kinds of conversations names: “chronically online” or “terminally online,” implying that too much exposure to too many people’s weird ideas makes us all sort of lose our minds and our sense of shared humanity. For years, people on TikTok and Twitter have delighted in recounting the most “chronically online” takes they’ve ever seen; the compilation below includes a disabled woman being accused of elitism for using a grocery delivery service and a 21-year-old Redditor being accused of “grooming” her 20-year-old boyfriend.

Some examples of the behavior:
There was a spreadsheet of famous authors next to the reasons they were “problematic” (sample: “John Green: ‘harmful depictions of manic episodes,’ William Shakespeare: ‘misogynistic principles enforced in books’”). There was the accusation that the teen actor in a Netflix series was “queerbaiting” because he … acted in the show (he was eventually forced to come out as bisexual in real life). When indie rocker Mitski tweeted that she’d prefer it if her fans didn’t film her the entire time she’s onstage, some fans claimed that her request was insensitive to people with memory-related disabilities.

The reality of online discourse vs IRL:
What all of these arguments have in common is that very few people engage in them in real life. Sure, you might be privately annoyed at your friend who’s always talking about how great their life is when they drone on about their perfect mornings, and you might rightfully point out when an author has an unsavory past, but it’s unlikely that the subject coming up in conversation would lead to mass ridicule. But online, it’s almost a given. A frequently quoted tweetacts as a shorthand for this phenomenon: “Hi, most annoying person you’ve ever encountered here! I noticed this post you wrote in 3 seconds doesn’t line up with every experience I’ve ever had. This is extremely harmful to me, the main character of the universe.”

This reminds me of a certain purple website:
This is not to say that any accusation of sexism, homophobia, racism, ableism, or elitism is inherently whiny or baseless. In fact, it’s often in the reactions to these assertions where people extrapolate the most ungenerous reading and then dogpile on the person trying to call out injustice. Particularly in discussions of mental health and disability, it’s not always clear whether the person on the other side of the screen is in a safe state of mind. It’s easy to forget, in other words, that writing a long and furious Twitter thread about something seemingly inconsequential isn’t usually indicative of a logical headspace. The inherent contextlessness of platforms like Twitter also works in the opposite direction, though: It’s easy to use the language of social justice to justify anything we want, and by doing so, weakens real, meaningful activism.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Online discourse vs real life.

There are so many social cues that help us communicate in person that solve the misinterpretation of online discourse. I can disagree in person but it never gets out of hand. Online you can feel the guy seething sometimes on the other side of the keyboard. There are very few social cues. Online and in real life it help to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Wildebeest

I don't really agree with the "chronically online" analysis. Years ago, Jon Ronson said people either engaged online in a way where they tried to engage with other people as humans, or they were ideologically driven and were only interested in extreme drama and painting people as saints or villains. This "chronically online" thing is another idealogical way to paint people as saints or villains, although one with more "ironic" self awareness.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think they're simultaneously correct about online conversation, but also missing a huge point.

We're in an era of extreme inequality, and the inequality is extremely visibile now for the first time due to online interactions. It's not entirely just online toxicity to note that the majority of the population are literally incapable of having both people in a relationship stay home every morning and chat over coffee in the morning for hours. It's the kind of thing that would only happen on a day off, as most people work, and they don't work from home either. Massive inequality makes people angry, but they just often don't see it or know the extent of it. Instagram, twitter and more are showing people a small glimpse of the lives they don't live. If they wanted to channel that new awareness into something more meaningful they'd maybe vote. But combine that with toxic online culture and it makes perfect sense.

Having a bunch of quotes from wealthy NBC journalists mocking everyone is missing the point a little bit. If living conditions aren't normalized across classes a little bit, I predict we'll see this dissatisfaction manifest in more places than just twitter. If they look outside twitter, they can see this societal unrest and dissatisfaction everywhere - elections, political discourse, cultural discourse. Division has never been more pronounced in my lifetime.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
There’s no point to this life if we can’t have fun and get along and everyone tries to ruin everyone else’s good time.

I’ve fallen victim to this trap in the past too:
sgAXwPr.png

Which is why I’m glad politics got nuked here. I have much more fun now shooting the shit and making fun of Elon Musk and actually talking video games now and then.

Lasha

Kind of related but I am fascinated by the Twitter "refugee's" obsession with getting quote replies on mastodon. Much of the bile spewed is enabled by features like quote replying which allows a lamprey class of online obsessed people to generate controversy in the name of context. You can feel the desperation when they screencap a post that they can't dogpile on.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
For your parents out there. Do you kids get education regarding the addictive and warped way of social interaction via these mediums and all the other aspects that have significant impact on their psyche?

Do you try to explain to your children the severe ramifications that could manifest from using these platforms yourself?

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
Using 'memory related disability' to justify ignoring a reasonable request is mocking people with genuine issues. It's narcissistic.

I've seen someone complain about a woman enjoying rain and turning it into systematic class and race warfare. Shut the fuck up.

Literally anything you can think of will be treated as insensitive if you look hard enough and are stupid.

For your parents out there. Do you kids get education regarding the addictive and warped way of social interaction via these mediums and all the other aspects that have significant impact on their psyche?

Do you try to explain to your children the severe ramifications that could manifest from using these platforms yourself?
Speaking of parents, this reminds me of a WSJ article I read a few weeks or months ago. The gist was that parents that participate in parenting message boards/Facebook groups/etc are significantly more stressed and worried than those that don't. A combination of both the subject of this thread (criticism and toxicity), but also that they get 500 potential solutions to any problem and it overwhelms them. Like it you ask "what age should my kid do X" online you get answers from know-it-alls somehow down to the second, but if you ask relatives and friends you would get 3 or 4 answers and you can just pick one. Because the reality is there are probably 300 good answers to your question and the 4 real life suggestions are likely all in the spectrum of good so you can pick any of them, but going online gives the perception that not only is there a single definitive answer, but if you don't pick the right one you are a failure and your kid will be ruined.

Lunarorbit

Some really good thoughts in this thread. I forgot where I saw this idea and it wasn't used in this context but I look at people on the internet in groups: 30% angry on this side, 40% in the middle, and 30% angry on the other side.

Punished brought up a good point on inequality. I'm 40 and I've seen the problems of inequality for decades but in spite of tons of awareness and wage fighting it seems like the gap has widened. People are getting worked to the bone and the pandemic was the final nail in the coffin of people giving a shit online

dr_octagon

Banned
I think they're simultaneously correct about online conversation, but also missing a huge point.

We're in an era of extreme inequality, and the inequality is extremely visibile now for the first time due to online interactions. It's not entirely just online toxicity to note that the majority of the population are literally incapable of having both people in a relationship stay home every morning and chat over coffee in the morning for hours. It's the kind of thing that would only happen on a day off, as most people work, and they don't work from home either. Massive inequality makes people angry, but they just often don't see it or know the extent of it. Instagram, twitter and more are showing people a small glimpse of the lives they don't live. If they wanted to channel that new awareness into something more meaningful they'd maybe vote. But combine that with toxic online culture and it makes perfect sense.

Having a bunch of quotes from wealthy NBC journalists mocking everyone is missing the point a little bit. If living conditions aren't normalized across classes a little bit, I predict we'll see this dissatisfaction manifest in more places than just twitter. If they look outside twitter, they can see this societal unrest and dissatisfaction everywhere - elections, political discourse, cultural discourse. Division has never been more pronounced in my lifetime.
There's lots of factors, the profit element to division, clickbait, influencers and ideology driving certain posts, an audience and ability to communicate without consequence and low effort, lack of education, no care for the psychological impact etc.

I agree about the inequality and it is rife. Social unrest is likely, this is why anti protest laws etc. are being put in place.

Your point about wealthy journos and other people being disconnected and making light of serious problems is fair and not a new thing. It will become more prevalent, vocal and commented on because you can't ignore it.

Also, there is dissatisfaction about specific things and decision making and general hatred. Vox can jump off a cliff for trying to defend Amber Turd. Some people want to just make a noise and should be ignored, it's difficult when there is a sea of nonsense. If we look purely online, we could lose 99% of content from tweets and nothing of value disappears.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Speaking of parents, this reminds me of a WSJ article I read a few weeks or months ago. The gist was that parents that participate in parenting message boards/Facebook groups/etc are significantly more stressed and worried than those that don't. A combination of both the subject of this thread (criticism and toxicity), but also that they get 500 potential solutions to any problem and it overwhelms them. Like it you ask "what age should my kid do X" online you get answers from know-it-alls somehow down to the second, but if you ask relatives and friends you would get 3 or 4 answers and you can just pick one. Because the reality is there are probably 300 good answers to your question and the 4 real life suggestions are likely all in the spectrum of good so you can pick any of them, but going online gives the perception that not only is there a single definitive answer, but if you don't pick the right one you are a failure and your kid will be ruined.

It's the same with reviews about.. whatever, Headphones. I'd rather ask for advice in a more seclusive environment that fosters a community with relative same interests and questions than go on the 99% sponsored websites online for advice.

And people should listen to there intuition instead of ignoring this very truthfull tool and only look at what others do. OTHERS. Ie totally different people/kids that require very personal guidance. Same goes for their own. Sure. Second hand advice from experience can be taken into account to see it's effect but .. meh I'm done talking.

Good post man.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Thanks to sites like retardera I'm hesitant to talk about my psychological issues. They made it into something that gives you points. Autisme references emerge in a context of victimhood or whatever. Shit sucks but fuck it I guess. We don't need no medal.

/rant in poor English

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People are nuts to hate it. Just jealous weirdos with a shitty home life. That's the drawback of social media.

On the plus side, you get to see which people you know (Facebook feeds) are numbnuts and who are chill. It's one thing to see how they are at work or in person, but what they post online is really their true personality. Some of them I had to block their feeds.

I'm single, so I dont sit around drinking coffee in person with people for hours. Only time I do is when there's a fam or friend dinner at someone's house or a restaurant and were there for hours eating and talking. Or chilling with the guys at a hockey or baseball game.

But the closest thing to the story I have is sometimes talking to good friends for a solid hour on the phone (some fucking hot friends I've known for ages and single, but I always get shot down. Damn, I guess I'm just a friend). LOL. But never the less, I enjoy talking about random stuff in our lives whether it's fun, venting about work or what should we buy people for xmas gifts. Sometimes we just both go on speaker phone and talk while we are making dinner and can barely hear each other. It's really nice to talk (or text) lots of people knowing they enjoy your company laughing together.

Anyone who complains about people enjoying each other's company is a total loser with no friends. Even Beavis & Butthead aren't this anti-social.

Last edited:
Kind of related but I am fascinated by the Twitter "refugee's" obsession with getting quote replies on mastodon. Much of the bile spewed is enabled by features like quote replying which allows a lamprey class of online obsessed people to generate controversy in the name of context. You can feel the desperation when they screencap a post that they can't dogpile on.
Mastodon is the Resetera of social networks so I can imagine this and find it plausible.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
"my husband and i wake up every morning and bring our coffee out to our garden and sit and talk for hours. every morning. it never gets old & we never run out of things to talk to. love him so much."

It does in fact piss me off how full of shit this person is, and how full of shit people are in general. Just imagine the kind of person it takes to write a tweet like this. You really think a person that never runs out of things to say to their SO every day for hours would write a tweet like this? Get fucked

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This is actually one of the reasons why I ignore so many major subreddits. People in the most trafficked ones tend to be combative over trivial things.

And of course ResetEra goes without mentioning. But that's the most severe breed of absurdity. Picture this scenario, as silly as it seems, and yet it could totally happen on RE:
- Person one "I like the new Kirby game. When I eat a car I can become a car and then run enemies over!".
- Person 2: "I lost a loved one to a drunk driver. This is incredibly offensive".
- Mod: <bans Person one for insert weird word salad here>

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
"my husband and i wake up every morning and bring our coffee out to our garden and sit and talk for hours. every morning. it never gets old & we never run out of things to talk to. love him so much."

It does in fact piss me off how full of shit this person is, and how full of shit people are in general. Just imagine the kind of person it takes to write a tweet like this. You really think a person that never runs out of things to say to their SO every day for hours would write a tweet like this? Get fucked
My routine for success.

I wake up at 5am.
I drink water and a cup of coffee.
I read the news for 30 minutes.
I take a poop.
I then get out of bed.

nush

In October, a woman named Daisey Beaton made a huge mistake: She tweeted about her personal life. “my husband and i wake up every morning and bring our coffee out to our garden and sit and talk for hours,” she wrote. “every morning. it never gets old & we never run out of things to talk to. love him so much.”
That's a winner right out the gate, it's almost scientifically made to piss people off (and perhaps is was). Also your name is Daisey because just regular Daisy isn't good enough to show off for your parents how special you are.

"Chronically online" because you know that you can't blame basement dwellers on PC's anymore and yet most people don't consider apps on their phone to be "Online" but you don't want to call out people addicted to smartphones because you know you are. So with other them with another title even when she is exactly the same.

They used to have a singular lightning rod of all of this and enjoyed it so much when the lightning rod was removed they started to eat themselves and are now crying about it.

You love to see it.

Winter John

Gold Member

u3e3rWm.png

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
A mastodon is a mammal similar to mammoths. Another cool thing that the deranged have defiled.

The article makes a decent argument, but loses points by implying the reaction to the Depp trial was fueled by hateful, sexist groups and their bots.

Why am I feeling compelled to call you intertranche. Something French grocery related?

Ah, I remember it’s intermarche!

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
99% of the time it’s not true. Social media is fake life.
On the other hand people get bored with posting happy things so it swings the other way - I saw a post from someone describing their child incurable disease…on LinkedIn.
"I don't usually post anything personal but my cat's owner's father in law has a rare allergy to tinned salmon.

We are proud the cat was still able to get their degree in Marine Biology. Working a 9 minute shift every day, catching mice and then hitting the books.

#Stay humble. #Love life. #Tuna success. #Blessed."

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Must be young person thing, no one I know is online (i.e. my age group, old af) and when we are, we're extremely don't give a fuck, I only ever go on twatter via a link in a post, read about 3 lines of responses and think "what a bunch of cunts" and then move on, life is too short to care what others do or think, arguing online is like shouting at the wind, utterly pointless and a waste of energy

Soodanim

Gold Member
Speaking of the purple site, recently someone tried to brigade against a Xenoblade VA. At first people didn't ask questions, they just accepted what they were told as truth. This VA was a bad person and deserved to be fired by Nintendo. Eventually people asked questions. It turned out that a tweet being against circumcision was taken as anti-Semitism. People eventually realised that he was a loon that lacked the comprehension of a normal adult and should be ignored. But at first people didn't think that, they just went along with what they were told. See enemy, attack enemy. For too long they didn't even think to ask for the evidence driving "Let's get a man fired from his job", they just asked for a copy of the email so they could paraphrase it.

Reddit is the worst for both intentional and unintentional misinformation. Go to any given /r/science post, and the title will likely be a misrepresentation of the study it links to. That could be through stupidity or through malice. Either way, people believe it. They read the headline, then move down to the comments where they see a top comment that is more often than not completely wrong. But it doesn't matter, because it's self-sustaining thanks to "Popular=true" and various other cognitive biases. You have to scroll farther than people normally do to find something worth reading, and even if you do find it it's too late. The thousands of people that took the falsehood as truth are never going to return to the post, they've taken it in to spread to their friends and family. They walked away not knowing they were part of the mistake.

It's why I still prefer forums after all these years. The more personal nature of it all, even when that results in conflicts, generally leads to more fruitful discussions. That's if you ignore console wars and politics, of course. There's rarely rationality to find in either of those.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Vox and many other rags just like it helped create this problem.
Absolutely. That's why I tend to avoid them. It's weird that they even published it. I'm hoping it's an early indicator that we are nearing a tipping tip.

This is actually one of the reasons why I ignore so many major subreddits. People in the most trafficked ones tend to be combative over trivial things.
Reddit is good as an RSS feed and that's about it. They have one of the worst comment sections on the web. If you find a niche community, it's nowhere near as bad but the rest are absolute trash. The upvoting system turns it into an echo chamber.

Must be nice to have all that time to read articles and post on a forum ;)
Made me think of this:

Must be young person thing, no one I know is online (i.e. my age group, old af) and when we are, we're extremely don't give a fuck, I only ever go on twatter via a link in a post, read about 3 lines of responses and think "what a bunch of cunts" and then move on, life is too short to care what others do or think, arguing online is like shouting at the wind, utterly pointless and a waste of energy
The most surprising one to me is my friends mom. We've been friends for over 20 years so I've known her long before social media. She is the sweetest, most kind and caring person IRL. Her facebook page is just constant bickering, insults, and heated politics memes. It absolutely impacts older people. They are not immune to the culture wars, they just participate in places you may not go.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The most surprising one to me is my friends mom. We've been friends for over 20 years so I've known her long before social media. She is the sweetest, most kind and caring person IRL. Her facebook page is just constant bickering, insults, and heated politics memes. It absolutely impacts older people. They are not immune to the culture wars, they just participate in places you may not go.
Older people get more opinionated as they get older, especially online, I used to do Facebook and give it up when those I knew that still used it became more and more extreme in their views, usual shite.. immigrants, Muslims,lgtb... The more I told them they where full o shite and turning into fucking Nazi's the more they took the hump, and as we all now know Facebook turned out to be the root cause of all evil in the world so I deleted my 15y.o. account and never looked back

Last edited:

nush

Facebook turned out to be the root cause of all evil in the world so I deleted my 15y.o. account and never looked back

Your mistake was getting one to start with, I looked at it in 2007? or something and thought to myself "This is a bunch of shite" and ignored it. Thankfully the CCP great firewall shielded me from that bullshit quite effectively.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Older people get more opinionated as they get older, especially online, I used to do Facebook and give it up when those I knew that still used it became more and more extreme in their views, usual shite.. immigrants, Muslims,lgtb... The more I told them they where full o shite and turning into fucking Nazi's the more they took the hump, and as we all now know Facebook turned out to be the root cause of all evil in the world so I deleted my 15y.o. account and never looked back
Yeah, FB was cool when it was my friends and I posted drinking pics and nobodies parents even knew what it was. It went to shit when they let the general public in. I deleted mine back then and haven't looked back.

Kenpachii

To get them back in reality, just ask them if they ever had a encounter with any of them that was negative in the real world.

Crickets.

Then tell them, why they think so negative about them is because of media they keep visiting that basically are brainwashing them.

Last edited:

badblue

People that engage in these sort of "chronically online" conversations are idiots for the most part, and I'm including myself in this.

I'm not willing to engage with that insane street corner preacher because I know it's pointless. But as soon as he's u/z420zH0LyRoloz420 I'm more then willing to spend 4 hours telling him why he's wrong so I can be crowned King Idiot of the Idiot Village.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
It's incredible that despite all the evidence, the actual ruling in Depp's favour in what was touted as an impossible case to win, that the bastards at Vox and other mainstream outlets still are firmly in Amber's camp.

Then Vox puts out a piece about the shitfuckery that is online discourse and cancel culture without acknowledging their own role in amplifying and gatekeeping this bullshit.

Top Bottom