• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Elite 2 controller I’ve owned was defective

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
If it's any consolation, both of our (launch) PS5 controllers have subtle but extremely annoying issues. The audio jack on one is trash, disconnects constantly if you don't hold the cord in just the right spot regardless of the headphones used, and many others have reported the same issue. On the other, one back trigger is too loose feeling, triggers in some games from barely brushing against it.

What happened to quality control on these insanely expensive controllers? Same with our Switch of course.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I believe they need to be sued to the ground with this (as well as Nintendo), also as we know, there are HALL effect sensor sticks on the market. Not too long ago there was some mini-notebook with them, chinese cheap goods. So don't fucking tell me, you cannot do these sticks, for a premium device.

Side note, I never had an issue with "pleb" Xbox controller.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
One had stick drift, 4 others had face buttons that didn’t work some of the time.
is there a third party alternative that has a built in battery?
Thats honestly mostly the reason i keep getting them replaced.
Dunno about built in batteries, so for the PC I ended up getting a Xbox One controller and a pair of USB rechargable batteries, which in total was like 80€.

Had the controller for like a year now and had 0 issues so far.

lem0n

My Elite 2 has a barely functioning B, an RB that registers 2 clicks every 5 or so clicks, beginnings of peeling rubber grips on both sides, and a loose screw that moves around the controller as it likes and gets stuck in the rumble function and under the left thumbstick. It's a monumental pile of shit. I just shelved it and use my Horizon 5 controller now.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The only issue I’ve had with both my elite 1 and 2 is dropping them and losing pieces lol

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Not the elite controllers but I keep breaking the triggers on all sorts of Xbox controllers on pc. On my 3rd one in 3 years now. Granted they are all 3rd party wired ones but they aren’t the cheap ones (Razer wolverine, power funion pro 2 and latest a Nacon Revolution X). Hope this new one last a while.

jaysius

Banned
My Elite 1 is incredibly solid, and I put it through hell using it for God of War reboot(with a great Brook X One device) and it's still as great as day 1.

I'm eagerly awaiting the Series 3 Elite, I hope they don't fuck up the quality of that one. Maybe that's why it's taking so long?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Had 3 elite one controllers, eventually just gave up and used a regular xbox one controller which had zero issues right up until i replaced it with a regular Xbox series controller... I saw reports about the elite 2 and was like "yeah not this shit again"

RPS37

Dunno about built in batteries, so for the PC I ended up getting a Xbox One controller and a pair of USB rechargable batteries, which in total was like 80€.

Had the controller for like a year now and had 0 issues so far.
Got a link for the usb rechargeable batteries?

I just want a convenient way to quickly swap out controllers.

Also, anyone have an idea of where I can offload a couple defective elite 2 controllers?
I’m done dealing with MS with is shit.

Last edited:
I've been using an Elite Series 2 for about a year, and besides one of the back paddles not fully registering presses, it's been great. I don't really use the back paddles, so it's not a huge deal, but I don't feel like warranting it much less opening it up to fix it. (The fix is push a little node further inward so that the paddles registered the press more assertively).

But I do agree that for the price, these things should be near bulletproof and just based on online sentiment that I've read, that's clearly not the case. Shame as it's a wonderful controller overall.

jaysius

Banned
Not the elite controllers but I keep breaking the triggers on all sorts of Xbox controllers on pc. On my 3rd one in 3 years now. Granted they are all 3rd party wired ones but they aren’t the cheap ones (Razer wolverine, power funion pro 2 and latest a Nacon Revolution X). Hope this new one last a while.
Razer Xbox controller have always been pure shit, I had one for 360 and it kept breaking and they kept sending me refurbs that also broke, eventually I just had to say fuck it and just use a regular controller. They used to do some silly shit with the triggers on the refurbs though like put tape around the inside of it, my triggers kept breaking.

You buy shitty 3rd party controllers and that's the quality you'll get.

Quasicat

I really wanted to enjoy it, but the issues were too much for me. The A button pressed in way too far into the controller and would often times not register a press. Then the right trigger slider on the back of the controller popped off its cover which would poke at my hand as I played it…it didn’t hurt, but was really annoying. I called Microsoft, but since it was a free giveaway from Taco Bell, they told me that they could not take the return. It’s fine though, I love the Series controllers I have and they have never given me a problem.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Got a link for the usb rechargeable batteries?

I just want a convenient way to quickly swap out controllers.

Also, anyone have an idea of where I can offload a couple defective elite 2 controllers?
I’m done dealing with MS with is shit.
Sure! Can't find the one I own, but this one looks exactly the same... Aside from the brand logo lol.

Beechos

I have the elite 1 and 2 since day one no problems with each. The elite 1 though is starting to show its age. The rubber around the control is starting to like deform/breakdown and is becoming sticky. I do have a stuck X face button on my dualsense though doesnt come back up all the time after each press.

RPS37

I believe they need to be sued to the ground with this (as well as Nintendo), also as we know, there are HALL effect sensor sticks on the market. Not too long ago there was some mini-notebook with them, chinese cheap goods. So don't fucking tell me, you cannot do these sticks, for a premium device.

Side note, I never had an issue with "pleb" Xbox controller.
I’m appalled no one has gone class action on this yet.
I’ve literally got a 100% failure rate at this point.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
One had stick drift, 4 others had face buttons that didn’t work some of the time.
is there a third party alternative that has a built in battery?
Thats honestly mostly the reason i keep getting them replaced.
For the premium price you pay my, it’s a damn travesty.

It’s a damn shame because the controller feels premium in the hands. It’s a beautiful controller for sure.

Topher

Gold Member
That sucks. My Elite Series 2 works perfectly fine.

House Of Cards GIF

MastAndo

Have had one for about 5 months now and it's been flawless. The only downside is that once this thing craps out, there's no chance I'm going back to a regular controller.

nemiroff

Gold Member
EVERY dual stick controllers I've owned eventually failed, true story.. Unfortunately the Elite 2s are not different in that regard even though for the price they should be. They have the best premium feel in the business but MS's third party suppliers are fucking them in the ass with the flimsy off-the-shelves potentiometers and buttons. It's a good thing I keep getting them replaced for free no questions asked.

Last edited:
I've had my Elite Series 2 since launch and it works fine. I use it all the time. Long battery life, no drift, feels good in the hand. I use only 1 back button sometimes 2.

I bought two series X controllers. The right trigger sticks on both of them for like a half second before springing back to my finger.

Pedal to the metal, I guess.

The original Xbox One controller I bought...8 years ago had thumbstick issues a few weeks back. Which, honestly, I was very happy with how long it lasted. Meanwhile, my PS4 controllers rubber comes off the sticks after less than a year. And now I just deal with it considering I don't really ever play my PS4. In my experience, quality has been better with Xbox controllers than with Sony ones. The fact that you've managed to have 5 with issues seems fishy as shit to me.

Last edited:

RPS37

Still looking into what my best option is to make a regular series x controller function like an elite 2 controller (built in battery/usb charging stand).

Also is there anyone out there that specifically buys defective controllers?
I don’t even want to look at these things anymore.

I bought two series X controllers. The right trigger sticks on both of them for like a half second before springing back to my finger.

Pedal to the metal, I guess.
had this issue with a new xbox one controller... and the replacement controller i received from MS wouldnt sync.

only time ive ever experienced a defective 1st party controller right out of the box.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why won’t you just get a normal series controller? These are very solid. Look for 20th anniversary edition with rubber grips.
Built in battery is a scam anyway

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
For how much I love the controller, I agree op. Its dog shit. Right bumper issues are a joke, button issues are a joke. I don't get how they could fuck it up so bad.

RPS37

I’m just going to stick to the regular series controller from now on.
I also just picked up a Razer charging stand from Amazon.
Still desperately looking for something to do with these broken ass elite v2’s tho.
I just want to be done with them.

Well over 3500 hours on mine and the left bumper is finally becoming intermittent. I'll have to take it apart, replace that switch I and think.it will be good as new. Battery still lasts about 40 hours/charge, I plug it in at most twice a week but usually once a week. My S1 and my S2 have both been flawless given the hours I've put on them both.

Incredibly piss-poor QA means examples like mine are probably not the most likely outcome which is unfortunate as it's a very good controller (and should be given it's price).

I'll take the gamble on the S3 Elite when it releases as so far I've had good luck but I stopped recommending these without a huge "but" included in the recommendation.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I returned 4 in total
Its hands down the shittiest QC RELATED controller i ever owned.

Good ol little brother madcatz controllers at least worked they just felt cheap as fuck.

This feels premium and controls like ass

Last edited:
Id recommend checking out aim controllers especially if you are in the EU.
Had a scuff last gen and wanted something a bit cheaper this gen.
Very happy with they build but granted I only play tops 1-2 hours a day.

Tams

Yeah, the Elite 2 was a mess. I hope they make a new, better one for Series X. Preferably, after they add similar features as the DualSense.
They almost certainly won't as any new controller is going to not have the full life of the console to get developers to use any new features.

The time to add new features was at launch and have every console come with at least one controller with the features. That ship has sailed. And history shows the later controller add-on features rarely get used.

Sony are struggling at bit with the DualShock getting developers to support the extra features as it is.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well over 3500 hours on mine and the left bumper is finally becoming intermittent. I'll have to take it apart, replace that switch I and think.it will be good as new. Battery still lasts about 40 hours/charge, I plug it in at most twice a week but usually once a week. My S1 and my S2 have both been flawless given the hours I've put on them both.

Incredibly piss-poor QA means examples like mine are probably not the most likely outcome which is unfortunate as it's a very good controller (and should be given it's price).

I'll take the gamble on the S3 Elite when it releases as so far I've had good luck but I stopped recommending these without a huge "but" included in the recommendation.
This is my main issue, if you open it up and put the elite v1 bumper switches in its supposed to be awesome. My biggest issue was the double click RB.

Custom controllers UK do a repair for 35 quid which I'm going to try as mine is out of warranty now. MS should just switch back to the older switches. I don't get it.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Bought one, it had an A button that didn’t register once every 20-50 clicks or so.

Returned it for a replacement. This one has been absolutely solid for 18-24 months now, however I’m always in fear that the bumpers, rubber or buttons will stop working properly.

Once this one does break I’ll just get the standard pad using reward points. It’s a fantastic pad but most FPS games have remapable buttons nowadays.

BabyYoda

Banned
People are only now starting to see why it was a bad idea to outsource everything to China, a communist dictatorship that cares about nothing but money and power.

They certainly don't give a crap if your controller works!

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Why won’t you just get a normal series controller? These are very solid. Look for 20th anniversary edition with rubber grips.
Built in battery is a scam anyway

Are they though my good man ? I'm on my 5th XSX controller.
The problems are pretty much the same :
- Face buttons not registering properly.
- Bumper buttons breaking/stop working (most common one - it was the same on the XONE joypads)
- Analogue stick drift.
- Triggers breaking.
- Triggers getting stuck due to the el-cheapo's rubber stop glue coming off (i.e : there's a small rubber stop behind the triggers that's very cheaply glued to the controller's chassis).
- Rumble motors/impulse trigger motors out of position resulting in a terrible, plasticky buzzing sound each time the joypad vibrates.

These new controllers are absolutely shit, meanwhile, my X360 controller still work after 15+ years, those things were built like tanks, new ones ? Not so much.

Top Bottom