• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everyone loves reboots! Lets reboot 'Fresh Prince of Bel-Air'

zeorhymer

"Peacock’s update of the 1990s sitcom has cast newcomer Jabari Banks in the role that once shot Will Smith to fame.

Set in modern-day, Bel-Air is a serialized one-hour “dramatic analogue” of Fresh Prince that follows “Will’s complicated journey from the streets of West Philadelphia to the gated mansions of Bel-Air. With a reimagined vision, Bel-Air will dive deeper into the inherent conflicts, emotions and biases that were impossible to fully explore in a 30-minute sitcom format, while still delivering swagger and nods to the original show.” --Hollywood Reporter

Doesn't seem to say who the other cast members are. This is probably in very early production.

Prison Mike

Banned
why GIF

Soodanim

I thought they did that awful overproduced drama already? Or was that a pilot/one off/cancelled/ignored/forgotten?

zeorhymer

I thought they did that awful overproduced drama already? Or was that a pilot/one off/cancelled/ignored/forgotten?
It seemed that it was just a trailer that was produced around Sept 2020 and now they're going full steam by getting the script, cast, etc in place.

Ruh roh. Looking a little deeper, it seems that there's been some major changes last month.

"Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Drama Reboot Going in Different Creative Direction, Showrunner Exits
The showrunner for Peacock's reboot of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air has exited the series, PEOPLE confirms.

Chris Collins will no longer be serving as showrunner and executive producer on the reboot, titled Bel-Air, as the show will be "going in a slightly different creative direction," according to The Hollywood Reporter, which was first to report the news.

Per THR, Collins left Bel-Air in December and was replaced by Empire's Diane Houston, who has also since left the show. Following her departure, writers T.J. Brady and Rasheed Newson stepped in to take over as showrunners. " -- People

So yeah. It's already a train wreck before the pilot even started.

Soodanim

It seemed that it was just a trailer that was produced around Sept 2020 and now they're going full steam by getting the script, cast, etc in place.

Ruh roh. Looking a little deeper, it seems that there's been some major changes last month.

"Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Drama Reboot Going in Different Creative Direction, Showrunner Exits
The showrunner for Peacock's reboot of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air has exited the series, PEOPLE confirms.

Chris Collins will no longer be serving as showrunner and executive producer on the reboot, titled Bel-Air, as the show will be "going in a slightly different creative direction," according to The Hollywood Reporter, which was first to report the news.

Per THR, Collins left Bel-Air in December and was replaced by Empire's Diane Houston, who has also since left the show. Following her departure, writers T.J. Brady and Rasheed Newson stepped in to take over as showrunners. " -- People

So yeah. It's already a train wreck before the pilot even started.
You mean this gritty, dramatic reboot that shares only its loose premise with the original that managed to be both funny and poignant isn't destined for dizzy new heights?

Seriously, dropping two showrunners before this stillborn project gets anywhere near the the airwaves is as much of a sign as everything else about it has been so far. Not in a million years will they manage to find anyone remotely close to James Avery, let alone the rest of the cast. Nothing will save that, and the inevitable police related episode won't hold a candle to the episode that did it better than they could ever hope to 31 years ago. A well delivered message that doesn't sacrifice the comedy of the show to do it.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I can't wait for the overly sentimental, full of dramatic pauses Fresh Prince reboot! It's going to be so fun to watch.

badblue

With a reimagined vision, Bel-Air will dive deeper into the inherent conflicts, emotions and biases that were impossible to fully explore in a 30-minute sitcom format, while still delivering swagger and nods to the original show.”

Will Smith No GIF

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Conceptually more interesting than a straight reboot; but Will Smith is pretty cringe. He's always been cringe, but I was a child when this show was on so it was the shit lol

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
"dive deeper into the inherent conflicts, emotions and biases that were impossible to fully explore in a 30-minute sitcom"

So, it's going to be a serious drama rather than a sitcom?

Fbh

So it's basically just a new show that they adapted a bit so they could slap a well known IP on it.

It's like "yeah guys we are making a reboot of the Wire. It's going to be 25 minutes long episodes and be structured more like a sitcom".

Nester99

I would have like a sequel where the Fresh Prince is in his 50s, with a family of his own,
But now he is broke and has to move back to Philly, Basically the opposite. Rich kids to Poor town.

I would watch that.

Kreen101

Because identity politics.

I was a white Canadian kid in the nineties, living in a 100% white Canadian city, and all of my friends loved that show, quoting from it endlessly. It didn't cross our minds that this was a "black" show meant for a "black" audience. We loved the charactrers, loved the humor, and loved the American culture that it depicted. We had achieved peak anti-racism.

Then woke culture happened, and it's made all of us look at and think of everybody's skin color again.

ymoc

I can’t stop laughing at this 🤣

This show and Family Matters were the shit back in the day.

steve-urkel-happy.gif
Can you hear Will's high pitched scream in your mind when you see that gif? xD

Im not from USA but i have to say when i was a kid, we had these shows on TV in prime spots.

This might sound silly but looking back its crazy how many all-black cast shows got world-wide fame. I had never even seen a black person in my life back then, but watching these shows it all felt completely ordinary, you know? Skin color was completely irrelevant. I remember lots of kids at school loving Fresh Prince too and not once did race get mentioned. Nobody cared about that over here. We all loved those characters for who they were not how they looked.

Those shows also really knew their craft. And they didn't do none of the heavy handed moralistic, preachy and antagonistic approach we get these days.
They were full of heart and they appreciated the viewers, even when they touched difficult issues. And we appreciated them in kind.

Somehow it always felt more humanistic with a hopeful view towards the future. Or maybe I'm just nostalgic.

Kev Kev

Can you hear Will's high pitched scream in your mind when you see that gif? xD

Im not from USA but i have to say when i was a kid, we had these shows on TV in prime spots.

This might sound silly but looking back its crazy how many all-black cast shows got world-wide fame. I had never even seen a black person in my life back then, but watching these shows it all felt completely ordinary, you know? Skin color was completely irrelevant. I remember lots of kids at school loving Fresh Prince too and not once did race get mentioned. Nobody cared about that over here. We all loved those characters for who they were not how they looked.

Those shows also really knew their craft. And they didn't do none of the heavy handed moralistic, preachy and antagonistic approach we get these days.
They were full of heart and they appreciated the viewers, even when they touched difficult issues. And we appreciated them in kind.

Somehow it always felt more humanistic with a hopeful view towards the future. Or maybe I'm just nostalgic.
lol thats crazy i was thinking the same exact thing. well said. i couldnt agree more.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
No. Don't do this crap! Leave Fresh Prince alone!

And these "black shows" were for everyone... Not just black people. Just like most shows had all or nearly all white casts were for everyone... Not just white people.

The 90s were a renaissance for black creative content on the airwaves... Sadly, the magic that they had can't be replicated. The spark is gone. I blame dumb arse execs.

nush

Gold Member
No. Don't do this crap! Leave Fresh Prince alone!

And these "black shows" were for everyone... Not just black people. Just like most shows had all or nearly all white casts were for everyone... Not just white people.

The 90s were a renaissance for black creative content on the airwaves... Sadly, the magic that they had can't be replicated. The spark is gone. I blame dumb arse execs.

So true, somehow we've moved backwards. You didn't get massive hits like the Cosby show, or Fresh Prince without a majority non black audience.

Dark Star

Fresh Prince is a time-capsule, a product of it's time.

no point in remaking it with characters using smartphones and stuff

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What do they gain from rebooting this show at this point in the actors careers? Try building a new show around the now Will Smith.

Top Bottom