• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everyone who currently has a reservation for their Steam Deck will get it by the end of this year

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Neat, I put in a "maybe I'll take it" pre-order a few days ago. Still undecided, will see how I feel when it pops (probably won't resist).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
lol i'd just cancel and wait for Deck 2

I plan to pick up the 4th iteration. Maybe the 7th
i know you're trying to be funny but seriously it wouldn't be a terrible idea to wait for future revisions/generations (if they ever happen). the current Deck is good but not great. there are a lot of things Valve could do. i never buy 1st gen hardware. i'll let other people spend their money on beta hardware.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Okay, okay….cancel Deck 4 as well and just wait for Deck 5.
ha ha.

if you read my comment you'd see i'll be happy to buy a Deck but i'm not buying 1st gen hardware.

the Deck has been out for 6 months now and people who reserved are only just being told they will get theirs this year? lol. I'm just saying I would have cancelled my reservation/pre order by now and skipped 1st gen (if i actually ordered it in the first place which i haven't). it's rarely a good idea to jump on 1st gen hardware....especially from Valve. it might be a different story from Sony/MS.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I really should play something on it other than Tunic. (Which was great)

Also, get the 64 GB model, the extra memory SSD has not yet ben worth the extra coin.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Want to hear a funny story? No? Tough..

Reserved my Steam deck last year. I go on holiday last week, for a week. Parcel Force try to deliver it the day after I left and said I refused delivery. They then sent it back to the Netherlands.

Fucked me right off.

kiphalfton

Want to hear a funny story? No? Tough..

Reserved my Steam deck last year. I go on holiday last week, for a week. Parcel Force try to deliver it the day after I left and said I refused delivery. They then sent it back to the Netherlands.

Fucked me right off.

Back to the bottom the queue you go.

Anyways same thing may happen to me, since it looks like I chose the 256GB version and like Soapbox Killer said above I should just get the 64GB version. Guessing I can't switch versions at this point?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

Anyways same thing may happen to me, since it looks like I chose the 256GB version and like Soapbox Killer said above I should just get the 64GB version. Guessing I can't switch versions at this point?
Aye, well there is 'some' hope, the bloke on customer service said to re order and get back to them then they might be able to get one out sooner. We'll see!

You might be able to change, Steams customer care does seem to actually care, which makes a change in this day & age, chuck them a message and see what they can do :)

Got mine last week. Loving it, only problem is a few strategy games with small text and adding other launcher games. Bought to many new steam games though. "I wonder how that plays on the deck" off to the price game keys I go...

Love that you can lower settings, tdp, frame rate limits to get better battery. Playing gta 4, max Payne, crystal project, thief, system shock, tropico 6, and it's been amazing.

I have elden ring and other games but damn they take up so much space. Had to get a 512gb SD to go with the 256gb ssd and still out of space. It adds almost 100gb for "other" stuff in the ssd HD.

kiphalfton

Aye, well there is 'some' hope, the bloke on customer service said to re order and get back to them then they might be able to get one out sooner. We'll see!

You might be able to change, Steams customer care does seem to actually care, which makes a change in this day & age, chuck them a message and see what they can do :)

Good deal. Being at the mercy of shipping companies sucks ass.

Ended up cancelling reservation and going for 64GB. I was already in Q3 for the 256GB version, and am now is Q4 for 64GB version, so no biggie.

Filben

Also, get the 64 GB model, the extra memory SSD has not yet ben worth the extra coin.
And tests showed the speed difference is miniscule in real life performance.

Had the 256gb model, extended with 128gb, had 60 games installed and still 170gb free in total. Sold it to my brother and reserved me the 64gb and will get an SD card for it and maybe settle for around 30 installed games.

I want the Steam Deck as cheap as possible because I don't play that much mobile, don't need that much power, too, and spending +500 EUR isn't justified for me.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Didn't Valve say recently that they will be new versions, it cant be that long until they do a 5nm and 3nm versions.

GametimeUK

It's been a year (today) that I placed my pre order. I'm in for Q3 and have been for some time now. The wait and anticipation has become agonising now that I'm within the window. Just August and September to get through.

I need to ask has anyone pre ordered after July 30th 2021 and received their Steam Deck already?

tmlDan

good to know, I ignored the availability email on my preorder that said i can buy it. That thing is too expensive and ugly for me.

Whats wrong with the 256gb ver? I got that one a week ago after reserving near launch. Works great. Paired it with a pny xlr8 512gb SD card for $50.

Midn1ght

Reserved in March so i can probably get it in a couple months.

That or a new GPU?

Season 9 Idk GIF by The Office

Exactly, those ayaneo devices are ridiculously expensive at 1200+. You can buy a phenomenal gaming laptop or a full mid teir 3060ti to 3070 desktop for that price.

You can get the Aokzoe A1 for $900, which is made by OneNetbook.
The comparable 500gb SteamDeck is $650

I don't think you can get a better deal on the 6800U. None of these competitors are going to take a loss like Valve who makes up for it with licensing fees through Steam. Even if Valve released a 6800U handheld, it won't be much cheaper than the A1

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
It's been a year (today) that I placed my pre order. I'm in for Q3 and have been for some time now. The wait and anticipation has become agonising now that I'm within the window. Just August and September to get through.

I need to ask has anyone pre ordered after July 30th 2021 and received their Steam Deck already?
i just got the its time to pay email on thursday.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Great news! Steam Deck is an amazing system. It gives you a lot freedom in how and where you play. My family already has 2, and we have 2 more 64GB models on reserve that recently had their expected arrival date changed from "After Q3" to "Q4". Hopefully in time for Christmas.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's a pretty cool device. But the idea now that a console being guaranteed delivered by the end of what, 13 months from launch is still not something that should be celebrated I think.
Image a world where you could go into a store and buy a console, or order it online when you want? Video cards are at least starting to get back to that.

DavidGzz

They can't even make enough for these to be readily available and people are waiting on the second version? See you in 2025, I guess. I'll enjoy the hell out of version 1 and then get version 2 and pass my current one down to one of my kids.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Those waiting for Deck 2 could be waiting a very long time. They’re just now able to produce this at an acceptable pace for the next five months, and it’s practically brand new.

Besides, the thing is plenty powerful enough for its targeted resolution now. Only the most demanding an/or poorly optimized games even give it a challenge now.

FingerBang

Well, good to know I'll get one for Christmas. I really hope they won't release a new one too early though, I'll get pissed if they were to have another revision just a few months after I manage to get one lol

Griffon

I game almost exclusively on my deck now. I never knew I would love PC gaming untethered to the desk so much. The best gaming machine I ever owned.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have my reservation.....peeps is if really worth it?

I want one but I'm also after a new monitor and gpu.

That's tough to answer. Do you have any interest in having your Steam library on the go? Do you have a want or need for a portable PC for emulation? Could this double as a small Linux PC for you in a pinch? And is something that is about as powerful as a PS4 Pro, even targeting 720p - 800p, something you'd be interested in?

I'm always hesitant to tell people "yes" to this question, because as cool as I think it is, if someone doesn't need a handheld PC like this then no matter how many cool and quirky things it can do, it will probably end up along with the pile of old electronics everyone has - detritus that they thought they'd love but turns out they didn't really have any use for.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
There won't be a steam deck 3, Valve can't count to 3 guys.
I think best case scenario is Valve releases an updated Deck with minor changes, like an OLED screen and higher capacity battery (sound familiar), about a year from now. A year after that it might make sense for a true upgrade, something with enough power to reliably pump all games at at least 1080p and good framerates if desired.

Top Bottom