• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evil West - Digital Foundry Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S - 4K30 vs 1080p60

saintjules

Text article:

TL-DR

- PS5|SX have 4K/30 and 1080p/60 modes. Series S only has 1080p/30.
- "4K" mode is up-sampling from 1728p to 2160p on both PS5|SX
- PS5 has "sharper" shadows but it makes their low resolution more obvious. DF prefers Xbox's "softer" shadow look

- All consoles have bad frame pacing in their 30 FPS modes
- DF didn't notice any dips in the 60 FPS modes on either platform

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Text article:

TL-DR

- PS5 has "sharper" shadows but it makes their low resolution more obvious. DF prefers Xbox's "softer" shadow look

Last edited:

Fbh

Game looks fun but yeah 1080p for a 60fps mode on a cross gen game with what seems like fairly small environments and good but not mindblowing graphics is indeed pretty disappointing.

Frame-pacing in 2022 is inexcusable. Also why they didn't use DRS in the 60fps mode? It's a UE4 game it should be quite easy to implement it. Why bother doing all those assets if everything is spoiled by either frame-pacing or blurry image?

After devs are gonna complain their games sell badly.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Text article:

TL-DR

TL;DW: Hack devs that don't know how to make console optimized games.

Gaiff

Gold Member
A 1070 runs this game at 1080p max settings and maintains 60-70fps with the lowest frame rate seemingly in the high 50's.

The consoles should have no issue running this at 1440p/60 unless the game is heavily CPU-bound. It uses a 5800X in the video.

BbMajor7th

Yeah, it's a little underwhelming for next gen, I must say. A completely locked 60 suggests they've got plenty of headroom at 1080, but they're just leaving it on the table rather than risk an occasional frame drop.

tommib

Yeah, it's a little underwhelming for next gen, I must say. A completely locked 60 suggests they've got plenty of headroom at 1080, but they're just leaving it on the table rather than risk an occasional frame drop.
Isn’t that because of a problem that Digital Foundry created with their own frame rate earthquake graphs? You see a lot of people here having meltdowns because a 60fps game occasionally hits 57 or 55. I do prefer to feel those hits since it’s a good indicator that the hardware is being used in full - theoretically. But to avoid the backlash devs go, fuck it, bring it down to 1080p and stop endless optimisation.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
A 1070 runs this game at 1080p max settings and maintains 60-70fps with the lowest frame rate seemingly in the high 50's.

The consoles should have no issue running this at 1440p/60 unless the game is heavily CPU-bound. It uses a 5800X in the video.

I say this in every thread about PS5 and XSX games downgrading to 1080p just to get 60 fps, and every thread someone has an excuse. It's lazy devs. It's unoptimized. etc. etc. Maybe just maybe there is a fucking bottleneck in these consoles. Because this is not the first time a native 4k 30 fps game had to be downgraded to 1080p while 7 tflops PC GPUs are able to run it at 60 fps.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
1080p at 60fps on PS5 and XBSX. That'll be a hard pass from me.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Killer8

Game is supposedly another stuttering Unreal Engine 4 mess on PC.

No matter which console you go for, you're winning.

JaksGhost

Didn’t Guardians of the Galaxy run at almost similar resolutions in both modes; native 1080p at 60fps and dynamic 4K at 30fps? I know they added in Ray Tracing later on, but still the same resolutions. After recently upgrading my TV I’m not too keen on playing at lower resolutions like before but I’ll still give it a go on a discount. If it’s fun it’s fun.

Last edited:

Bigfroth

I just finished this game played the whole game @1080/60 it was perfectly fine. Plus the game is really fun reminds me of a 360/PS3 era game.

Duchess

Does 1080p look shite on a 4K panel..?

I'm still in the HD world, myself, so 1080/60 doesn't bother me at all.

Thief1987

Does 1080p look shite on a 4K panel..?

I'm still in the HD world, myself, so 1080/60 doesn't bother me at all.
Yes, very blurry. Most of the games nowadays using TAA which soften picture by itself and then you are adding extensive upscale on top of that.

Well Said bro.

Sing with me.

Lazy devs lazy devs.
IMvx6fk.gif

Top Bottom