• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evil West review topic

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Scored a little lower than expectations, ah well, a future sub service game or a deep discount it is then.

Reactions: Isa

Drizzlehell

Banned
There are times where I rather strongly disagree with Gman but this time the problems he's describing really sound like something that I don't want to put up with. Shame. I've been kinda looking forward to this game but now I think I'm gonna grab it when it's on sale at like a big discount.

Hot5pur

Somewhat perplexing where some people's expectations were, this was always going to be a 7-8/10 at best. Kinda like Steelrising, Thymesia, Soulstice, a lot of B-level games lately, many of which are decent. I agree about the price, the bar is higher these days and you better deliver some content if you're charging close to $60.

It’s game after game after game this holiday season that is unfinished and unoptimized! Like wtf!? Don’t know how you guys can take it. Aside from Ragnarok there hasn’t been one polished game recently.
it's not just recently. i'm playing r&c: rift apart, &, considering it's insomniac? i'm shocked at just how glitchy it is. from the original through crack in time, the series has always been very solidly built...

on topic: i'm thinking we definitely need adjusted 'aa' game pricing. can't help but think many of these games would be more appealing & review better if they weren't directly going head-to-head, price-wise, with all the heavy-hitters...

Negative comments and reviews are great, im on the right path!
Nowdays the praised games 90% are trash imo.

Since the beginning i knew the game is all about a fun dmcish game, and this is enough for me. Loved the moves, finishers, combos etc!

Thank God games like Sonic Frontiers, Evil West and Gungrave Gore exists.

Last edited:
I love some mindless third person shooting as much as the next man, but I'm balls deep in GoW Ragnarok at the moment so I might wait on the reviews and grab it on a sale.

I wonder if it might come to Game Pass at some point anyway?

Karak

It’s game after game after game this holiday season that is unfinished and unoptimized! Like wtf!? Don’t know how you guys can take it. Aside from Ragnarok there hasn’t been one polished game recently.
It really is something lately. Even games delayed come in barely limping sometimes. When I talked to devs on the podcast and pr or indie publishers(who are VERY open about this) It does seem like the massive gulf in machine(pc and console) powers is hurting a lot of devs. Hurting may not be the right word. And this isn't something a dropping of ps4 and xbox one fixes. It does seem like just power across the board.
For example, I know of one game that is solidly NOT taking advantage of 3080 and above cards. What I mean is that high and epic settings in their game is aimed at 2080 and above that doesn't do much. Now I get it in some ways totally because normal cards for normal consumers aren't there. But then we still get some perf issues with these ultra-powerful cards because they also don't opto for them. This is another problem that popped up. Many people covering games don't indicate if a game is WELL optimized or if a game is just running very well due to a powerful gfx card or cpu. Though its usually easy to test for. I see a lot of people just saying "RUNS GREAT" not realizing a game may go from 80fps to 61 on their big gpu meaning on anything below that the variation is going to be insane.

Another thing I am noticing is that audio sample buffers seem to be getting smashed lately. Walk through a glade and meet 3 characters you are fine. Run through and get 6 samples and shit starts sounding and performing hinky. This isn't unknown stuff. Joshua Davidson from Gearbox and Brandon as well have talked about just gun sounds and samples overlapping and how they can eat away at resources if they aren't tracked right. Luckily most shooters(1st person) we don't see that as much as most people sprint through them. But it does come up in 3rd person action and some other titles.

We all need to be better. People in covering it, devs, pubs, really everyone.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I just watched this review. Wow, what a terribly designed video game.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the design of this game is not so dissimilar from God of War 2018. The difference is that God of War offers world class production values, amazing art design, characters, story, acting. So a lot of these dumb as fuck design decisions can easily be ignored. Not so much in case of this game.

Last edited:
I just watched this review. Wow, what a terribly designed video game.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the design of this game is not so dissimilar from God of War 2018. The difference is that God of War offers world class production values, amazing art design, characters, story, acting. So a lot of these dumb as fuck design decisions can easily be ignored. Not so much in case of this game.

So what you're saying is Evil West is a turd. And God of War is a polished turd.

I’ve come across a few bugs in Ragnarok to be fair. Enemies glitching out and companions getting stuck on certain objects or not triggering certain actions (such as dropping chains or opening doors).

It’s a great game don’t get me wrong but there are definitely a few bugs that have been a bit annoying.

GymWolf

I'm playing the game and it is a lot of fun, it really feels like gow2018 mixed with bulletstorm.

That dude that said that the story was super complicated, that the gameplay doesn't flow and that the game is like a sony game where you move part of trains to free the route all the time better change his job ASAP.

The game MUST be played on hard or hardest difficulty.

It really feels like a monster B movie and i'm all for it.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The gameplay mechanics for this feels like they could be a great framework for a coop experience with procedurally generated levels, kinda like Remnant From The Ashes. And I know people seem to hate on procedural generation for games... But this hardly benefits from being entirely handcrafted, with environments being very unremarkable when it comes to both aesthetics and level design.

With this being just a 10-or-so hours campaign it would've needed to be a lot better to justify the asking price.
Did you play it?

No, I'm going from the reviews on the thread
Bloody hell, how can you so confidently shit on a game this have no personal experience of?!

Kimahri

Banned
It really is something lately. Even games delayed come in barely limping sometimes. When I talked to devs on the podcast and pr or indie publishers(who are VERY open about this) It does seem like the massive gulf in machine(pc and console) powers is hurting a lot of devs. Hurting may not be the right word. And this isn't something a dropping of ps4 and xbox one fixes. It does seem like just power across the board.
For example, I know of one game that is solidly NOT taking advantage of 3080 and above cards. What I mean is that high and epic settings in their game is aimed at 2080 and above that doesn't do much. Now I get it in some ways totally because normal cards for normal consumers aren't there. But then we still get some perf issues with these ultra-powerful cards because they also don't opto for them. This is another problem that popped up. Many people covering games don't indicate if a game is WELL optimized or if a game is just running very well due to a powerful gfx card or cpu. Though its usually easy to test for. I see a lot of people just saying "RUNS GREAT" not realizing a game may go from 80fps to 61 on their big gpu meaning on anything below that the variation is going to be insane.

Another thing I am noticing is that audio sample buffers seem to be getting smashed lately. Walk through a glade and meet 3 characters you are fine. Run through and get 6 samples and shit starts sounding and performing hinky. This isn't unknown stuff. Joshua Davidson from Gearbox and Brandon as well have talked about just gun sounds and samples overlapping and how they can eat away at resources if they aren't tracked right. Luckily most shooters(1st person) we don't see that as much as most people sprint through them. But it does come up in 3rd person action and some other titles.

We all need to be better. People in covering it, devs, pubs, really everyone.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you expect the average reviewer to test for multipøe setups? (pc).

We used to test multiple platforms, but then publishers got stingy with games and only send out one code. Whoch is weird, cause back in thr disc days we often got all versions.

Kinds doubt s code is more expensive.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It never was. I seriously do not understand why people ragged on it way back when it was released.

I think it might have been because It was designed by Cliff Bleszinsky and people decided they didn't like him or his games (probably including some who'd never played his games, as above!).

Belthazar

Bloody hell, how can you so confidently shit on a game this have no personal experience of?!

I'm sorry... How am I shitting on the game? I'm just saying the gameplay framework seems solid and would be great for something other than a short linear campaign, especially with the coop element.

Also, this is a review thread, where people say what they thought of the reviews and how they feel about getting the game or not due to how it did with the critics and what they had to say on the matter.

DarthPutin

I am not sure I understand gamerZ. First I read a ton of whining about "pointless open world games", then in next breath people complain that the game isn't open world. I mean I guess it's different people, but if I were a dev I'd be totally confused on what people want.

I am not sure I understand gamerZ. First I read a ton of whining about "pointless open world games", then in next breath people complain that the game isn't open world. I mean I guess it's different people, but if I were a dev I'd be totally confused on what people want.
Different people want different things. Unfortunately those who don't like something make the most noise though.

Kimahri

Banned
I'm sorry... How am I shitting on the game? I'm just saying the gameplay framework seems solid and would be great for something other than a short linear campaign, especially with the coop element.

Also, this is a review thread, where people say what they thought of the reviews and how they feel about getting the game or not due to how it did with the critics and what they had to say on the matter.
This gameplay is perfect for short linear games. Making this open world would be the worst possible decision you could make.

Please do elaborate why you think thay though, I'm curious about your reasoning.

Belthazar

This gameplay is perfect for short linear games. Making this open world would be the worst possible decision you could make.

Please do elaborate why you think thay though, I'm curious about your reasoning.

I never said open world, read what I originally posted. I meant something like Remnant from the Ashes, if you played it you know what I meant by that.

But if you didn't: it's basically having an additional adventure mode that procedurally generates short campaigns with the assets from the main campaign biomes, which make it basically infinitely replayable, which would compliment the coop aspect very well. That's all.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
I never said open world, read what I originally posted. I meant something like Remnant from the Ashes, if you played it you know what I meant by that.

But if you didn't: it's basically having an additional adventure mode that procedurally generates short campaigns with the assets from the main campaign biomes, which make it basically infinitely replayable, which would compliment the coop aspect very well. That's all.
Ah, I see. Although I still don't see the point. Modes like that are hardly ever good imo part of what makes a game like this good is how you're sent on a journey and it all amps up as you go.

Modes like that tend to be aimless fluff, and hardly ever worth it imo.

Spending dev time on it would probably be a waste considering how much it'd be used.

Negative comments and reviews are great, im on the right path!
Nowdays the praised games 90% are trash imo.

Since the beginning i knew the game is all about a fun dmcish game, and this is enough for me. Loved the moves, finishers, combos etc!

Thank God games like Sonic Frontiers, Evil West and Gungrave Gore exists.
I anticipated the poor-middling reception a while back already. Reviewers typically throw these games under the bus. Be it due to shallow assessments or some personal pet peeves. Oh well, hasn't affected my decision.

Over-the-top TPS games like Evil west, Wanted: dead and Gungrave should be celebrated more often regardless of whatever opinions reviewers derive.

Gamepass when?

Just kidding. The game looks fine to me. I'll check it out if it isn't overly long. I don't have much 3rd person combat left in me after Ragnarok.

I love games like Shadows of the Damned. That was a pretty mediocre game in many respects, too.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

dorkimoe

Only about a mission on, im a Little annoyed that it’s a next gen game and the wood crates aren’t destructible. Like bro

I anticipated the poor-middling reception a while back already. Reviewers typically throw these games under the bus. Be it due to shallow assessments or some personal pet peeves. Oh well, hasn't affected my decision.

Over-the-top TPS games like Evil west, Wanted: dead and Gungrave should be celebrated more often regardless of whatever opinions reviewers derive.

That's it!

black and white dark GIF

GymWolf

Ok after going forward with the game now i understand why some people scored this one soo low, the protagonist is the quintessential toxic male that modern audience love so much.

GymWolf

Just wanted to say that the gore in this game is pretty cool for a AA title, enemies lose limbs, piece of meat etc. When you shot at them, pretty neat.

Having a good amount of fun with it and the progression system is great, almost always new moves instead of just damage upgrades, the playstye from hour 2 to hour 6 is completely different.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
As the thread got bumped.

I loved my time with the game.

Finished it on normal, thought I'd start an evil difficulty run through on NG+

Game dashboarded during a cutscene, boot the game back up and my save file is completely gone.

panda-destroy.gif

Killed my motivation to play anymore and I started Soulstice.

GymWolf

Game dashboarded during a cutscene, boot the game back up and my save file is completely gone.

panda-destroy.gif

Shit sorry to hear that, i started directly at evil because the game on hard wasn't really all that challenging, also you get very powerfull after a while...

The game perfectly nails making you feel like a god while still having a good challenge.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Shit sorry to hear that, i started directly at evil because the game on hard wasn't really all that challenging, also you get very powerfull after a while...

It seems like it is a common new game plus bug on all platforms (fixed on pc now with the latest update) sadly our saves apparently won't return either.

GymWolf

It seems like it is a common new game plus bug on all platforms (fixed on pc now with the latest update) sadly our saves apparently won't return either.

Sorry to hear that.

Well at least you had fun in the first and most significant run you did with the game.

anthony2690

Banned
Sorry to hear that.

Well at least you had fun in the first and most significant run you did with the game.
Yeah, really wanted to do an evil run though :(

I don't really have anything bad to say about the game.

I'm just really frustrated as time is more limited between family and work etc now.

If I was a kid I probably would've just went through it all again in half the time (like I did with Lunar on the GBA when it turned off whilst saving) haha

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

panda-destroy.gif

Damn, I feel the pain. I've lost 65 hours save in Mass Effect Legendary Edition. I was few hours in ME3 and something went really wrong with EA cloud saves.

GymWolf

Yeah, really wanted to do an evil run though :(

I don't really have anything bad to say about the game.

I'm just really frustrated as time is more limited between family and work etc now.

If I was a kid I probably would've just went through it all again in half the time (like I did with Lunar on the GBA when it turned off whilst saving) haha
Yeah, the game is polished (except for this bug) fun, long enough and full of content and performance are great at least on pc.

Too bad people believe shitty reviewers who compare this game to sony cinematic games because you have some cutscenes and like 2-3 "slow" moments in like 16 levels...

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Oh that blows, my save was probably only 12 hours.

I'd be devastated if I lost a 65 hour save.

Luckily I was done and dusted with ME1 and 2. So technically I've lost like 2-3 hours of ME3. But is still hurts. It was my commander Shepard and now she's gone.

Top Bottom