• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVO 2023 game line up

anthony2690

Banned
FpiSQKZaQAAGobr

This probably has to be the best line up Evo has ever had.

No smash bros so the children attending are safe too.

Looking forward to this, wonder what reveals they will have too.

25k minimum pot per game.

Varteras

Gold Member

Safe bets that Street Fighter and Guilty Gear will have character reveals. The Tekken 7 tournament will almost certainly end with a Tekken 8 character reveal as well. Maybe even more than that. I would love for both DragonBall and Mortal Kombat to at least drop teasers for sequels.

anthony2690

Banned
It must have a solid following if it made it to main Evo. I’m surprised I never even heard of it.
It's a pretty decent anime fighter, with rollback netcode.
When I got the game it felt pretty expensive for what you got, roster wise.

But so far they've added 6 new characters for free with more to come.

The only thing missing from the game now for me is crossplay.

anthony2690

Banned
Good lineup.

I really hope SF6 delivers after dog shit SF5.
Street Fighter 6 beta was incredible.
I genuinely miss playing it.

Street Fighter 5 I shifted before guile came out and I purchased that season pass as well, but I just didn't like the game.

I hear it's pretty good now, but I haven't been back.

Banned
FpiSQKZaQAAGobr

This probably has to be the best line up Evo has ever had.

No smash bros so the children attending are safe too.

25k minimum pot per game.

MK11 should get kicked out. it doesn't belong. bring back Smash instead!

Rickyiez

From viewership point of view sf5 was fun to watch though. Although sf4 was way more enjoyable.
Yea I got bored AF watching SF5 at one point. It's like you can already predict what is coming next especially with VT activation, shimmy fishing and the lack of combo variety.

Meanwhile I still re-watch this once in a while until today . The exquisite footsies, different combo optimization after Fadc, frame precise counter hit setup, vortex setup are the things that I really enjoyed

Last edited:

Banned
Smash is a stink-fest party game, not a fighting game

MK11 is a stilted and badly animated combination lock simulator and not a fighting game, yet it's here.

Smash also takes skill, which can't be said about MK11

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
MK11 is a stilted and badly animated combination lock simulator and not a fighting game, yet it's here.

Smash also takes skill, which can't be said about MK11
Smash is just a party game that a bunch off child predators take a little too seriously :p

Let's be honest here.

Kusarigama

Ed Boon had replied on twitter that the new unannounced NRS game would be out by 1st half of 2023. And Evo is usually in July/Aug so idk how that works out for them.

Banned
Smash is just a party game that a bunch off child predators take a little too seriously :p

Let's be honest here.

it's still a better fighting game than MK11, and MK11 is only there because Warner Bros is sponsoring the event, let's be honest here.

it's a terrible fighting game and doesn't belong with the others on the lineup

jm89

Yea I got bored AF watching SF5 at one point. It's like you can already predict what is coming next especially with VT activation, shimmy fishing and the lack of combo variety.

Meanwhile I still re-watch this once in a while until today . The exquisite footsies, different combo optimization after Fadc, frame precise counter hit setup, vortex setup are the things that I really enjoyed

SF4 is defintley unmatched, even though i still enjoyed sf5 i would have gladly watched another generation of sf4 then sf5.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They're going to announce Soul Calibur 7 here right? :messenger_loudly_crying:

Seeing some Street Fighter 6 will be nice. I haven't really followed it much yet. Can't say I care about most of the rest, but I'll check out some Tekken matches as well.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
it's still a better fighting game than MK11, and MK11 is only there because Warner Bros is sponsoring the event, let's be honest here.

it's a terrible fighting game and doesn't belong with the others on the lineup
I never defended mk11 once, slander away XD

Needlecrash

UMvC3 back as a main game is gonna be NUTS. Having KOF 15 & SF6 is gonna be nuts too. SF6 comes out in June, so you got about 2 months to prep for EVO, if you hadn't played the betas yet.

Banned
I never defended mk11 once, slander away XD

well, no but you downplay Smash as a fighting game when Mortal Kombat 11 is on this list, which is a joke.

Smash is a good fighting game, if you like it or not.
it has among the most dynamic fighting systems and takes a shitload of skill to play on the level you see at EVO usually.

MK11 looks the same if a casual fan of it plays it or if an evo champion plays it. in fact it's mk is boring to watch on a pro level given how stilted and devoid of player expression it is, leading to every fight looking exactly the same.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
well, no but you downplay Smash as a fighting game when Mortal Kombat 11 is on this list, which is a joke.

Smash is a good fighting game, if you like it or not.
it has among the most dynamic fighting systems and takes a shitload of skill to play on the level you see at EVO usually.

MK11 looks the same if a casual fan of it plays it or if an evo champion plays it. in fact it's mk is boring to watch on a pro level given how stilted and devoid of player expression it is, leading to every fight looking exactly the same.
Smash is a fun party game.
The creator Sakurai himself has said so.

Am I going to listen to a smasher or the creator off the game? :p

& You seem oddly fixated on mk11, even though I agree it's probably the game I'm by far the least bit interested in watching this year 🤷‍♂️

yurinka

The lineup makes a lot of sense, but feels weird to don't see there Smash since it has a lot of fans. We know Sony was open to continue having there games from Nintendo or MS, so maybe the reason of not having Smash there is that Nintendo doesn't want to support it, or at least not a Sony event.

I think EVO can be very interesting this year since we may be MK12 getting announced, they may show more of Project L (the fighting game from Riot Games) and they may show about Tekken.

What the fuck is Melty Blood?
It must have a solid following if it made it to main Evo. I’m surprised I never even heard of it.
The publisher was DelightWorks, whose gaming division was turned into the company Lasengle and got sold to Aniplex/Sony Music. They are also the ones who developed Fate/Grand Order (published by Aniplex/Sony Music), the mobile game that generated over a billion dollars per year:
https://sensortower.com/blog/fate-grand-order-revenue-4-billion

The president of Lasengle is Yoshinori Ono, of Street Fighter IV and Street Fighter V fame.

Melty always have been one of these secondary games that have been there at EVO maybe not making it to the main tournaments. Sony bought both EVO and Lasengle, and Ono at least in Capcom pushed the eSports a lot (he also was in charge to build the eSports division at Capcom), so I assume all these things helped to make Melty Blood one of the main EVO games this and last year.

Last edited:

jm89

Melty Blood has always been at EVO, just not on the main stage, but in the lobby's, corridors and hotels of the event.

kv9ohkxczyj11.png

If your into fighting at all this is pretty big news.
Cultured FGC bros in their prime. That big brother isn't even sitting his straight up squatting and playing at the same time, how many of you can say you done the same?

Last edited:
Top Bottom