• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution of Luigi's Mansion Games (2001 - 2019)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Game Evolution Presents: Evolution of Luigi's Mansion Games from Nintendo GameCube to Nintendo Switch. This video features all games in the series, including Luigi's Mansion Arcade and the 3DS remake.

0:06 Luigi's Mansion (2001)
0:46 Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (2013)
1:18 Luigi's Mansion Arcade (2015)
1:50 Luigi's Mansion 3DS (2018)
2:23 Luigi's Mansion 3 (2019)

Marvel14

Banned
I think Dark Moon might be my favourite. 3 had great imaginative locals but ghost capturing felt a bit boring and repetitive and money was pretty pointless.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I was going to buy the third one but no progression (why the fuck collecting money then) and the gameplay being basically the same of the first title on gc made me bail out, i was already bored at the end of that one.

I probably never even saw a screen of the second one.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I was going to buy the third one but no progression (why the fuck collecting money then) and the gameplay being basically the same of the first title on gc made me bail out, i was already bored at the end of that one.

I probably never even saw a screen of the second one.

Yeah the money is effectively pointless, for me the reward for hoovering everything in a room was seeing the reactions to the hoover and actually the physics of hoovering up the bills/bars itself was fun to me. If you were already bored of the gameplay of the first then probably don't buy 3 at full price, but I found the variety of objects and the difference between the levels to be constantly engaging and great fun.

I say try and get it for ~€25.

I freaking adore the third game. Every nook and cranny of every room is packed with little secrets or goofy interactions. I've never played anything quite as dense. Maybe the Yakuza games. One criticism was the lack of worthwhile things to spend money on. Yet despite knowing this, I still sucked it up because it was cathartic.

Never played the first two, and never knew the arcade version existed. That second one looks good. Trapped on the 3DS, though...

I freaking adore the third game. Every nook and cranny of every room is packed with little secrets or goofy interactions. I've never played anything quite as dense. Maybe the Yakuza games. One criticism was the lack of worthwhile things to spend money on. Yet despite knowing this, I still sucked it up because it was cathartic.

Never played the first two, and never knew the arcade version existed. That second one looks good. Trapped on the 3DS, though...
Yeah and it looks so good I freaking loved this game.

Jeeves

Right before 3 launched I replayed 1 again. Still holds up as a short-n-sweet game and it's fun to see how gracefully it evolved into the super-polished LM3. The first game though has a unique vibe to it that was never quite recaptured.

Bridges

Haven't played 3 yet but probably will this year. Dark Moon felt like a massive step down from 1 in almost every way. I really dislike the direction NLG took the series. If there is ever a Luigi's Mansion 4 I hope it's more of a return to form to the first game, big mansion with lots of puzzles and gallery ghosts presented in a non-linear fashion. Hated the mission based structure of the second game but overall it was still a fun time, just not what I had been hoping for.

Kuranghi

Right before 3 launched I replayed 1 again. Still holds up as a short-n-sweet game and it's fun to see how gracefully it evolved into the super-polished LM3. The first game though has a unique vibe to it that was never quite recaptured.

I haven't played 1 and 2 (or 3DS remake), is the 2 remake similar in gameplay and as polished as 3? I think 1 will come to Switch soon enough but for 2 remake I think I need to actually get it and a 3DS to play it get it and emulate probably more likely.

Samus Returns I didn't love and put down for now but god damn its beautiful when rendered at 6x internal 3DS res.

Jeeves

I haven't played 1 and 2 (or 3DS remake), is the 2 remake similar in gameplay and as polished as 3? I think 1 will come to Switch soon enough but for 2 remake I think I need to actually get it and a 3DS to play it get it and emulate probably more likely.

Samus Returns I didn't love and put down for now but god damn its beautiful when rendered at 6x internal 3DS res.
Yeah, 2 and 3 are made by Next Level Games whereas I think 1 was EAD. 3 is essentially the fully matured version of 2, with some key differences being that 2 has multiple distinct levels and missions, and no portrait ghosts. Still a great game.

EDIT: Wait, I'm not sure if you're asking me about 2 or the port of the first game. I never played the port.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Yeah, 2 and 3 are made by Next Level Games whereas I think 1 was EAD. 3 is essentially the fully matured version of 2, with some key differences being that 2 has multiple distinct levels and missions, and no portrait ghosts. Still a great game.

EDIT: Wait, I'm not sure if you're asking me about 2 or the port of the first game. I never played the port.

Thanks.

Its all good, sorry for confusion, I thought 2 was remade for 3DS, not the 1st game. So I'll wait for 2 to come to Switch (hopefully) and try and play the first game on Gamecube in the meantime. 3DS upgrades for 1 are nice but its still great looking on GC from what I've seen.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
My wife picked up the LM3 last week and was really enjoying it. I plan on getting around to it at some point, especially the 2 player aspect.

I liked the first one on the GCN but never finished it. I think I got stuck somewhere and never went back. Wasn't gaming much back then.

Kuranghi

My wife picked up the LM3 last week and was really enjoying it. I plan on getting around to it at some point, especially the 2 player aspect.

I liked the first one on the GCN but never finished it. I think I got stuck somewhere and never went back. Wasn't gaming much back then.

You can literally just jump in at any time and play as "Gooigi" in her game, your wife currently has to switch back and forth between them, so you jumping in will only make her playthrough better and be fun for you.

Last edited:

Jeeves

Thanks.

Its all good, sorry for confusion, I thought 2 was remade for 3DS, not the 1st game. So I'll wait for 2 to come to Switch (hopefully) and try and play the first game on Gamecube in the meantime. 3DS upgrades for 1 are nice but its still great looking on GC from what I've seen.
Ah, no 2 was a 3DS game from the ground up.

1 on the GCN is still very playable, yep!

tommib

I started playing LM3 after finishing Dread.

What a looker this is! The animations are so funny and the classy jazz soundtrack totally elevates the game. And then it’s all Art Deco and classy stuff everywhere. Absolutely loving it. My first time playing a Luigi’s Manson game. Is it fair to say that they go a bit under the radar? Stellar shit, Nintendo.

I started playing LM3 after finishing Dread.

What a looker this is! The animations are so funny and the classy jazz soundtrack totally elevates the game. And then it’s all Art Deco and classy stuff everywhere. Absolutely loving it. My first time playing a Luigi’s Manson game. Is it fair to say that they go a bit under the radar? Stellar shit, Nintendo.
ONE of my favorite Switch games. It looks beautiful and it's so well done. I can't wait for Luigi's Mansion 4, 3 has sold really well thus far.

Top Bottom