• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution of Rain Effect in Gran Turismo Series - GT3 / GT4 / GT5 / GT6 / GT Sport / GT7

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Evolution of Rain Effect in Gran Turismo Series - GT3 / GT4 / GT5 / GT6 / GT Sport / GT7

Timestamps
Gran Turismo 3 Chase Cam 00:00
Gran Turismo 4 Chase Cam 02:18
Gran Turismo 5 Chase Cam 03:43
Gran Turismo 6 Chase Cam 05:13
Gran Turismo Sport Chase Cam 06:27
Gran Turismo 7 Chase Cam 08:28
Gran Turismo 5 Cockpit View 10:25
Gran Turismo 6 Cockpit View 11:55
Gran Turismo Sport Cockpit View 13:10
Gran Turismo 7 Cockpit View 15:20
Gran Turismo 3 Replay 16:39
Gran Turismo 4 Replay 19:03
Gran Turismo 5 Replay 20:55
Gran Turismo 6 Replay 22:33
Gran Turismo Sport Replay 23:49
Gran Turismo 7 Replay 26:00

Gran Turismo 3 & 4 was captured on PS3 via backward compatibility.
Gran Turismo 5 & 6 was also captured on PS3.
Gran turismo Sport & GT7 captured on PS5.
bonus:

A.Romero

It's surprising how bad older releases look now when compared to the new ones. At the time they were really impressive.

I want to say this release is the first that actually can be confused with the real thing but probably the next one will make this one look like a jagged mess.

Merkades

I play in first person with nothing on my vehicle viewable, so I honestly can't really tell when it is raining well aside from the track and spray from vehicles I guess. I kind of wish it was more pronounced, though I guess the feeling of speed in that mode is already something of a handicap (especially compared to third person).

Also, agree with Driveclub rain being better, though I know that is not what this thread is about.

It's surprising how bad older releases look now when compared to the new ones. At the time they were really impressive.

I want to say this release is the first that actually can be confused with the real thing but probably the next one will make this one look like a jagged mess.
I agree. I know it probably looks better, has better technical/polygonal count and blah blah blah…but I always liked the look of gt3 over 4 for some reason. Iunno why but I did lol

JeloSWE

While lots of the games compared to 7 perhaps look more attractive with their abundance of highly reflective planes of water, GT7 seems to capture the semi saturated parts with it's very blurry reflections more realistically than most. It seems it's just a bit more realistic over pretty.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Am i going crazy or did gt5 had the best rain? Definitely the best windshield rain effects.

And yes driveclub is still better because it was targeting 1080p 30 fps on the ps4 while gt7 is targeting 1080p 60 fps. And PD is too small to make two versions of the same game. This is why cross gen is bad for gamers.

Am i going crazy or did gt5 had the best rain? Definitely the best windshield rain effects.

And yes driveclub is still better because it was targeting 1080p 30 fps on the ps4 while gt7 is targeting 1080p 60 fps. And PD is too small to make two versions of the same game. This is why cross gen is bad for gamers.
Driveclub is also "better" because the post processing is over the top. GT always goes for a more realistic look.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I only play in first person on the bumper cam but I remember always checking out the cockpit just to see what it’s like.

GT6 rain is just as bad as I remember it. Looks like marbles rolling around but you can at least see

GT5’s looks good but you couldn’t see shit when in cockpit mode so it was useless to me.

For me gt sports rain effect looks the best to me.

Fake

Sigh... this is another DriveClub thread in disguise
harry potter GIF

Nvzman

Driveclub is also "better" because the post processing is over the top. GT always goes for a more realistic look.
Since it came out I always felt DC looked like blurry, muddy shit in motion. Very impressive effects for the time but I vastly prefer the cleaner, more simple approach GT has gone for.
Forza Motorsport for the OG Xbox was very impressive for it's time but it's arguably aged worse than GT simply because the art design in GT played better tricks to make it look more realistic than trying to technically brute force it. I feel like not much has changed looking at GT7.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
While lots of the games compared to 7 perhaps look more attractive with their abundance of highly reflective planes of water, GT7 seems to capture the semi saturated parts with it's very blurry reflections more realistically than most. It seems it's just a bit more realistic over pretty.

Not only that. But rain and wet surface also has a function in GT7 compared with all those other games were the surface is just wet and nothing else. In GT7, the racing line will dry up when cars are constantly using that line (or even other parts of the track). Puddles also work. It's not like "all that water on screen" makes it more realistic in those other games.

Last edited:

Tunned

To those saying that Driveclub has the best rain effects, I would agree, until I modded Assetto Corsa with with the Sol mod, and holy shit does the rain look amazing on the windshield!

MrA

Banned
I don't see big visual difference between sport and 7, but the audio of the rain sounded amazing

Top Bottom