• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve: Stage 2 is back from the dead as peer-to-peer servers come back online

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Several months ago, peer-to-peer functionality was lost for Evolve Legacy, which was the only way fans of the series could play with friends. Upon a multitude of players reaching out to publisher 2K, the issue was eventually fixed earlier in July. It seems 2K have gone a step further now, and reinstated peer-to-peer and matchmaking functionality for Evolve: Stage 2 after four years.

A dedicated Discord server for Evolve, run by fans of the game, had been in contact with 2K regarding the Evolve Legacy functionality being lost for some time. Following 2K’s acknowledgement of the issue and subsequent fix being issued, it seems to have gone the extra mile and reinstated online services to Evolve: Stage 2.

On June 22, an update was posted to the Discord which read “Evolve: Stage 2 now has an online peer-to-peer server again!” and continues to credit its members, stating: “Thanks to you, we are reviving this unique gaming experience!”

Alongside the ability to play online again, players are reporting that drop crates are working and rewarding skins. Exclusive to the Co-op Hunt mode, these crates have been missing from the game since the servers were shut down in 2018, and drop rare skins that have never appeared in the shop.

According to Steam Stats, current players of the game have shot up from 18 on July 20 to 136 on July 22, meaning word is spreading about the return of the long-gone online modes.

With matchmaking apparently working, but taking a long time due to the lack of awareness, players are mostly opting for peer-to-peer games, with many listing join codes in dedicated Discord servers for the game. For those wanting to get in on the action without Evolve: Stage 2 in their Steam libraries, you can find a list of people currently streaming the game on Twitch.

It’s unclear whether this is a fix here to stay, but those that have missed the online modes for Evolve: Stage 2 are now able to play them again after a very long wait. Reddit users are now hoping for the game to be relisted on Steam.

I played it at launch through a friend that insisted that I should play and even gifted the game to me. We played for a week and never looked back. I even gifted another game back, it was Don't Starve Together and we played a shit ton of it.

Evolved sucked so bad that most people already forgot about it.

Last edited:

Griffon

Evolve was just bad game design, it's a mess that can't be salvaged.

Later games like Dead by Daylight accomplished the asymmetrical concept so much better it's not even funny.

Last edited:
Oh yeah the game that got a 9/10 from IGN.
I’m convinced that IGN puts numbers 1-10 on a dart board and three people each throw a dart…they take the average of the 3 and that’s how they get their review scores. They just happened to have a solid dart outing the day Evolve released 😂

Ribi

Evolve was just bad game design, it's a mess that can't be salvaged.

Later games like Dead by Daylight accomplished the asymmetrical concept so much better it's not even funny.
Minus some balancing I think evolve is the better game all the way around

drotahorror

When they put it out as f2p I had a pretty good time with it. I’d still rather play dead by daylight or hunt showdown. Hope the community grows for the sake of people that do enjoy it.

Ribi

eyqpjt9ewsu91.jpg

2k has an update more info soon. Yes it is official they even updated the ingame news with this.

Ribi

These fuckers said it was going free to play before they shut it down initially. Fuck this game and fuck 2k for that BS.
right so it's strange 2K is kinda sorta trying to revive it with few hundred online at anytime when they have things they have killed with less. maybe they want that dead by daYLIGHT money

Ribi

Just as an update. 130,000+ keys were given out over the past week. There will be no more keys given by 2k as that was their last batch. (Each person who asked got 4 keys)

Game population jumped up over 1k again tho

Last edited:

Coconutt

I remember buying this at release and being excited for the new monsters, wan't aware of the microtransactions beforehand and was quickly disappointed.

Hot Fuzz Shame GIF

Ribi

I'm sure the ten people that want to play it still will be happy
Had 2k players when it came back last year and the discord has 55k people. Unfortunately the concurrent number kept going down month by month back to 40-60

The big question people are asking is why are they getting rid of p2p if that's always been in the game. Also reminder that the game is on console so there's a community there too

Last edited:
Top Bottom