• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE - PS5 Pro in Development, Could Release Late 2024

https://insider-gaming.com/ps5-pro-in-development/

Insider Gaming sources have confirmed that the PS5 Pro is in development and could release with a tentative release date of late 2024.

Insider Gaming previously reported that a new PlayStation 5 with a detachable disc drive is scheduled to release later this year. It’s understood that this new model will phase out the current PlayStation 5 to cut down on production and shipping costs. In spite of the widespread reports, this is not the PS5 Pro model.

This is “just the beginning of new hardware coming to PlayStation users this generation”, said one source when talking about the detachable disc drive console.

As for what the PS5 specs will entail, details are limited. However, a recently-published patent by PlayStation architect Mark Cerny (spotted by @Onion00048) suggests that Sony Interactive Entertainment is looking to “accelerate” ray tracing performance in video games.

Just like with the PS4 to the PS4 Pro, we can generally guess pretty confidently that the PS5 Pro will have increased visuals, performance, and speeds. But as for leaked details, we’ll have to wait until a later date to release those.

Insider Gaming understands that the next generation of the PlayStation, the PS6, is unlikely to release until at least 2028. This would put the current generation console release schedule in line with its predecessors.

In February, industry insider Jeff Grubb said during the Game Mess Decides podcast that Sony was planning to host a new PlayStation Showcase “before E3”. Although Insider Gaming cannot corroborate this report at this time, we do anticipate that it’s very likely that a showcase is on the horizon to show off games including Marvel’s Spider-Man 2, and talk about its new hardware coming towards the end of 2023.

As for if the PS5 Pro makes sense remains to be seen. The current generation console market has seemingly only just stabilized following the chip shortages and developers still need to release past-generation to sell more units. Sony is expecting a massive FY23 for console units sold though (of around 30.5 million units), so a massive phasing out of past-gen games in Spring 2024 is logical.

Do you think we need a PS5 Pro this generation?

For more from Insider Gaming, check out our report on the new PlayStation 5 earbuds that should be released at the end of 2023.

Last edited:

Mokus

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Day one for me!

The PS5 pro will never happen because their isn’t a reason for it to exist. The only reason we got a PS4 pro was due to 4K. The PS5 pro doesn’t have a strong enough value proposition for it to be marketable. 4K/60 FPS with RT is the only benefit I can see with a pro and that’s not enough for most people to want to buy into the console.

Heck, we barely even have games that is pushing the current PS5 lol

Last edited:
It's bollocks I'm sure.

For a 2024 release of a PS5 Pro, it would mean Sony was designing this thing at a time when the semi-conductor industry was suffering severe component scarcity and they didn't even know that they'd be able to get enough components for the base PS5 to meet the demand.... yeah, right!

The past 2 yrs of supply chain chaos have all but killed any plans for a PS5 Pro or XSX1X.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If this ends up being true....PS6 will be the first ever day one skip I make.....Absolutely nothing has pushed my PS5 really, and outside of Returnal there hasnt been a must buy and play right now...Maybe GT7 tbh.....

I'll buy the ps5 pro day one! hahahaha, please have dedicated RT cores.

ThisIsMyDog

I really fucking hope not,it's completely pointless,and this gen has barely begun
whats wrong with it tho? For me this isn't even a news, we knew from the beginning that there going to be PRO version somewhere at the middle of this generation.

Roxkis_ii

Nothing to indicate that this is a pro console.
Makes no sense to make a pro console when the current games can't even take full advantage of the normal PS5.

This is most likely a slim console.

For the people who want a pro concole, go buy a PC.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Cope with it broke boys. This is coming from Henderson, who previously doubted this was happening.

Everyone saying "it doesn't make sense" will be the first to start bitching and moaning when their UE5 games can barely hit 60fps at sub-1440p resolutions. A PS5 Pro is pretty necessary to extend the gen to a full 8-9 years.

Foilz

Banned
I can definitely see a new variant with h3 detachable disc drive and general house cleaning. A smaller shell thats 15% less ugly and runs cooler. The series X shell is pretty perfect. I don't see how they are gonna redesign their box.

ThisIsMyDog

Nothing to indicate that this is a pro console.
Makes no sense to make a pro console when the current games can't even take full advantage of the normal PS5.

This is most likely a slim console.

For the people who want a pro concole, go buy a PC.
This year there going to be new PS5 version with detachable disk drive, what would be the point of slim version next year? That doesnt make any sense. You can cope as hard as you want but Tom is one of the guys that is believable, PRO is coming.

Matt_Fox

Last time Sony announced the PS4 Pro in September and released it in November. Just two months between announcement and release.

Why so short? Because they don't want to hurt sales of the base console. They dont want people holding off their purchase.

If a PS5 Pro does happen then expect them to keep tight lipped about it for as long as possible for the same reason.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Cool a new console promising to do what the current one is advertising to do but better.
These consoles are turning into men's razors.
New one every year or two that's an even closer shave!
If it comes out late next year that will be a 4 year cycle and no one is forced to buy these things

I for one will gladly buy upgraded consoles every 4 years as the old console life cycle of 7+ years is dead and I am glad it is as it lasted way too long

radewagon

I, without a doubt, feel like the PS4 Pro and One X were absolutely necessary. I was an early adopter of both and was pleased with both products. That said, I'm not so sure about a PS5 Pro really having a place in the market. PS4 Pro came out at a time where people's TV's had begun to outperform their game consoles. There I was with a fancy new 4K set and I was dying for more 4K content. Then along come these new consoles that promised me said 4k content.

This time around, though, that's not the case. The PS5 can provide what my TV can handle. While the case can be made that having a performance boost that doesn't sacrifice visuals will be the real benefit this time around, I see that as being a very niche userbase. I'm just not sure there is enough need from enough people to make this a worthwhile endeavor.

Then again, if this can give me PS1/2/3 backwards compatibility with digital and physical games, I'll buy it day one.

Quick somebody tell us which GPU equivalent this thing will have.
I'd guess is 20-25 tf and 3x-4x increase of RT performance compared to PS5. I don't think we could compare this to any AMD GPUs. My bet is based on the assumption that the aforementioned patent (about accelerating RT the way Nvidia do it) is for PS5 Pro.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Only an idiot would believe that info or even buy one.
There are coming and its the new standard so get used to it plus far from an idiot here and I am all in on them

Fresh Prince Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I'd guess is 20-25 tf and 3x-4x increase of RT performance compared to PS5. I don't think we could compare this to any AMD GPUs. My bet is based on the assumption that the aforementioned patent (about accelerating RT the way Nvidia do it) is for PS5 Pro.
Its all going to be about RT performance and its likely they wont talk about TFs on these from what is being said

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm all in on Pro consoles....I will buy them all. I think for this gen it's just frustrating because nothing has really come out that pushes the current consoles.

That's my only gripe.

Top Bottom