• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE - PS5 Pro in Development, Could Release Late 2024

I see a Pro console as quite unbalanced, not the ideal design if you were shooting for a proper next generation design which means I think that a fe

it seems to me with your hand waving a lot of the “a bit extra here… paid extra there” that you spent far more than someone that went PS4 to PS5 digital or Xbox One S to XSX even… but all right ;).

Why would it be unbalanced? No more unbalanced than your typical PC GPU upgrade.

We now have a proper CPU in the base console, just a small bump in clock speeds is more than enough. PS4 Pro was clearly bottlenecked by the crappy Jaguar CPU.

Last edited:
Who the hell would pay $300 for an used PS4 or $400 for a PS4Pro?
I dont think your situation is close to whats normal.
Because that is what they were selling for when I sold them. When I sold my vanilla PS4 they were still being sold for $399 brand new and when I sold my PS4 Pro there was no stock available at the time, so I lucked out on that one.

It's called market price.

I also don't think there is enough to improve. Console is roughly 200watt box.
Slim? Sure. but pro is unlikely just because what are they goin to improve ?!

They would be moving to 3nm node on the PS5 Pro which means more logic density and better performance per watt.

You ask what benefits? Simple, take those 30fps/40fps fidelity modes and let the Pro brute force to hit 60. Take those unlocked performance modes and get closer to actual 120fps.

With PS5 we are not nearly as bottlenecked by the CPU like the PS4 Pro was. Just give it a modest boost in frequency and you'd still be good. If they can somehow upgrade to Zen 4, even better.

The base PS5 is actually quite a balanced console in terms of CPU, Memory Bandwidth and GPU performance.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Why would it be unbalanced? No more unbalanced than your typical PC GPU upgrade.

We now have a proper CPU in the base console, just a small bump in clock speeds is more than enough. PS4 Pro was clearly bottlenecked by the crappy Jaguar CPU.
You need to maintain perfect backwards compatibility and you cannot re engineer the entire console (it is not economical, unless you have a dud that is wrecking your branding / image you need to replace with a roar) and you need to improve performance as cheaply as possibly while reducing the effort required by developers who will already try to put the intern of choice as Pro Console hero to do the pro consoles patches in a few weeks.

The new console generations have a lot more time to bake and they are better rounded: compare PS4 or PS5 to PS4 Pro for example. People want a certain performance bump a large CPU and GPU upgrade would be needed to grant (and a system around them to sustain this too) and I do not think technology we can fit in consoles has matured yet.
Meaningful HW upgrades (unless you increase cost and power consumption as well as size significantly, so if you keep the same console like price range and constraints) are getting farther and farther apart as the semiconductor tech enabling them takes longer and longer to jump from one major upgrade to the next (and the cost designing chips at each new manufacturing process advance increases by a lot). On top of that the performance increase required to actually show meaningful results in games grows larger and larger.

Everything screams longer console generations while some people want new HW more often and I still do not get that for all said above (which has the perverse effect of widening cross generation support for devs, adding even more performance targets whose only solution if things keep getting more and more PC like is going to be more and more abstracted and less efficient… the entire console model is predicated on fixed specs over a meaningful enough period of time allowing devs to make their investment sound).

PeteBull

Fair points. I'm seriously considering just going RTX 4080 PC gaming from here on out.
If u considering 4080 better save for another 1-2 months and go full on for 4090, its much better buy price/perf wise and will last u longer too, 1200 to 1600 is similar ballpark of expense so might as well for much faster strongest avaiable card, and that way with 4more vram, and 25% more fps u will feel the need to replace it 1-2years later vs 4080.

PeteBull

Besides that we could easily get cpu upgrade too, remember what ps5 got cpu wise, its zen2 architecture bazed 8c16t 3800x but heavily downlocked and with less cashe, even now we got zen4 archi 7k series ryzens and by 2024 or 2025 we will undoubtfully have access to 1 tier higher cpu.

Edit here quick comparision of r7 7700x vs r7 3800x, both 8c16t but showing u those real game benchmarks with fps so u can see architectural imrpovements between same grade(when launched) product, so u get rough estimate how much better even downclocked r7 7700x in ps5pr0 could be
TLDR when cpu bottlenecked even over 30% more fps( u can see when shit hits the fan fps doesnt dip simply as low on newer cpu- and here quick nasty screengrab from the vid to ilustrate it https://gyazo.com/a85245bfe5e570856c9dfbc011c76b87

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They would be moving to 3nm node on the PS5 Pro which means more logic density and better performance per watt.
This node will make just the design alone quite expensive and I am not sure they will be able to get enough capacity away from Apple and Samsung… it also remains to be seen if the stars align with what AMD already has ready and if they have a deal already in place for PS5 Slim… 5nm is probably what you are going to get which is not a great jump from the 6-7 nm node they are using now.

You ask what benefits? Simple, take those 30fps/40fps fidelity modes and let the Pro brute force to hit 60. Take those unlocked performance modes and get closer to actual 120fps.
I think you are over estimating what bruteforcing will be able to do (unless they remove the disc, make an even bigger and more power hungry box, and price it all at like $599 or more… but the PS5 Pro to PS6 upgrade would be brutal if they wanted to go back to the $399-499 range a few years later despite all the architecture improvements it could have).

With PS5 we are not nearly as bottlenecked by the CPU like the PS4 Pro was. Just give it a modest boost in frequency and you'd still be good. If they can somehow upgrade to Zen 4, even better.

The base PS5 is actually quite a balanced console in terms of CPU, Memory Bandwidth and GPU performance.
Which a hastily done PS5 Pro would not be…

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Everyone that thinks it’s a bad idea. Guess what. You don’t have to buy it 👍🏻.
It is a waste of money for the company and as sensible users I think this should be saved to give us a better PS6 instead. More and more frequent console releases will make the current cross generation mess (where devs are spending less time making optimised versions for each HW) worse adding yet another set of HW specs for platforms that are guaranteed to never have exclusive games for them.

Not only the pro consoles are unlikely to live to people’s dreams but they may make the market worse (or make the proper next-generation consoles less effective of an upgrade) which affects everyone.
Same people that thought the PS4pro was a bad idea.

Sony you make it I will buy it!!
🤷‍♂️… considering that in the similar time interval (3 years or so) HW is now advancing more slowly now than it did when PS4 Pro came out and that performance jump requirements for meaningful effective improvements in games are also growing… I do not see a scenario where people will truly have what they think they expect.

Kokoloko85

Day 1 but please more 1st party games first.
Theres been like 4 PS5 exclusives from Sony. Demon Souls, Ratchet, Returnal and TLOU1 Remake. 2 of them being PC games too.
And so far we only know about Spiderman 2 coming 2023. Nothing else really

Last edited:

PeteBull

This node will make just the design alone quite expensive and I am not sure they will be able to get enough capacity away from Apple and Samsung… it also remains to be seen if the stars align with what AMD already has ready and if they have a deal already in place for PS5 Slim… 5nm is probably what you are going to get which is not a great jump from the 6-7 nm node they are using now.

I think you are over estimating what bruteforcing will be able to do (unless they remove the disc, make an even bigger and more power hungry box, and price it all at like $599 or more… but the PS5 Pro to PS6 upgrade would be brutal if they wanted to go back to the $399-499 range a few years later despite all the architecture improvements it could have).

Which a hastily done PS5 Pro would not be…
1. Node- u already got improved 5nm node called 4n that nvidia made their 4k series cards, and that was end of 2022, u think sony wont get better node end of 2024 or in 2025 when we got proof, ps5 was on 7nm just like amd/nvidia's gpus back in late 2020 so w/e node gpu's gonna come on around ps5pr0 launch- we gonna get same node for sony's product.

2. Pricing- u can expect something between 600 and 800- many early adopters, including myself will buy it easily for 800 w/o blinking an eye and sony could always lower price by 100 after a year and another 100 after 2 years for it to appeal to more budget concious ppl .

3. Ps5pr0 to ps6 upgrade- lets worry about it once it happens, most ps4pr0 owners happyly upgraded to ps5, if it will be 2024 ps5pr0 to 2028 ps6 the tech will advance enough to make it worthwile upgrade same like ps4pr0 to ps5 was 2016>2020.
And what if ps6 comes not in 2028 but in 2030? U wanna be stuck with 10year old ps5 till then?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

40 to 60 would not happen. Especially as there is 60 mode already. This is a pipe dream and just another console to split dev

Last edited:

PeteBull

So a super niche console that developers are expected to put their time into?
800 isnt niche price, man, with current inflation 400bucks that ps4 launched in 2013 is now 516$
Looks at gpu prices, new nvidias 4070ti, is 800$, same like amd's rx 7900 xt which got 100$ discount coz it launched at 900.
Look back to 2013 where nvidias gtx 770, so just half a tier below 4070ti, was launched at 400.

And now think of it this way, 800$ today wont be same as 800 in 2024 or 2025, it will be worth even less.

Last edited:
You need to maintain perfect backwards compatibility and you cannot re engineer the entire console (it is not economical, unless you have a dud that is wrecking your branding / image you need to replace with a roar) and you need to improve performance as cheaply as possibly while reducing the effort required by developers who will already try to put the intern of choice as Pro Console hero to do the pro consoles patches in a few weeks.

The new console generations have a lot more time to bake and they are better rounded: compare PS4 or PS5 to PS4 Pro for example. People want a certain performance bump a large CPU and GPU upgrade would be needed to grant (and a system around them to sustain this too) and I do not think technology we can fit in consoles has matured yet.
Meaningful HW upgrades (unless you increase cost and power consumption as well as size significantly, so if you keep the same console like price range and constraints) are getting farther and farther apart as the semiconductor tech enabling them takes longer and longer to jump from one major upgrade to the next (and the cost designing chips at each new manufacturing process advance increases by a lot). On top of that the performance increase required to actually show meaningful results in games grows larger and larger.

Everything screams longer console generations while some people want new HW more often and I still do not get that for all said above (which has the perverse effect of widening cross generation support for devs, adding even more performance targets whose only solution if things keep getting more and more PC like is going to be more and more abstracted and less efficient… the entire console model is predicated on fixed specs over a meaningful enough period of time allowing devs to make their investment sound).

Who is saying anything about complete reengineer. Just take the same approach as the PS4 Pro with PS5 Pro, pretty simple.

40 to 60 would not happen. Especially as there is 60 mode already. This is a pipe dream and just another console to split dev

Yes it would, or at least it would get close enough to where VRR would be usable. It is not a pipe dream at all.

Look how PS4 Pro improved uncapped PS4 games, and the Pro was still bottlenecked by the crappy Jaguar CPU. PS5 Pro would not be hampered by a crappy base CPU.

Last edited:
PS5 Pro and GTA 6 will be a match made in heaven.
K4ERUtf.gif

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes it would, or at least it would get close enough to where VRR would be usable. It is not a pipe dream at all.

Look how PS4 Pro improved uncapped PS4 games, and the Pro was still bottlenecked by the crappy Jaguar CPU. PS5 Pro would not be hampered by a crappy base CPU.
ps4 pro barely improved.... Put 30fps games in 45fps no mans land....

PS5 Pro and GTA 6 will be a match made in heaven.
The only other credible source/leaker for the PS5 Pro besides Tom Henderson is that Rockstar dude, who claimed that R* studios had gotten their hands on the next-gen refresh for PS5 and Series X.

From what the latest leaks are saying about GTA6 is that it’s targeting a late 2024 release date, same as the PS5 Pro. Should be interesting.

Lysandros

PS4 PRO was bottlenecked by its comical bandwidth in ratio to its compute and fill rate above all. Easily the worst console design made by Sony. Very fitting with the honorable "mid generation upgrade" concept in fact.

CGNoire

[/QUOTE]
Was your ps
Because that is what they were selling for when I sold them. When I sold my vanilla PS4 they were still being sold for $399 brand new and when I sold my PS4 Pro there was no stock available at the time, so I lucked out on that one.

No i get now. I just forgot PS4s where $399

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I got a good price for my One X too. Ya, it's all about timing. I got Series X in March 2021 I think, so it was time to sell my One X.

I added in a second controller (an old One OG gamepad) and a bunch of old discs already on GP like Fallout 4 and Skyrim. Got $450 cdn.

That was right in the heart of covid where next gen systems were impossible to get and existing systems were all phased out or hard to find as every bored dude at home was buying them. Anyone wanting a console fast needed to go the used market.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The meaning is clear. With the advances in cpu/gpu/memory, the games will look and perform better, improve VR2 experience, possibly better ray tracing. Im all in if both MS and Sony do “pro” mid gen refreshes.
Its kind of why I posted him saying this as if it was straight up upgrades then it should be obvious

But I have been saying quite awhile people were saying the focus will be better RT and not straight up TF improvements just makes me think he heard about some Cerny magic that he doesnt understand

But these are just 100% guesses on my part, heck he might not even be talking about the PS5 Pro here

Wooxsvan

So a super niche console that developers are expected to put their time into?
Definitely. Most are already developing for many different GPUs in the PC space. Sony will have proper tools in place to make it as reasonable as possible.

onQ123

Its kind of why I posted him saying this as if it was straight up upgrades then it should be obvious

But I have been saying quite awhile people were saying the focus will be better RT and not straight up TF improvements just makes me think he heard about some Cerny magic that he doesnt understand

But these are just 100% guesses on my part, heck he might not even be talking about the PS5 Pro here
He should pass the info along & let us decode it

Lysandros

If Sony really makes a PS5 PRO with something like 72 CUs for a meaningful jump like some have mentioned, one should print the Road to PS5 transcript, bold the "when the triangles are small it's much harder to fill those CUs with useful work" part, roll the paper into a handy, elegant form and then put it into Cerny's bottom with all due respect.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Late 2024 is too long of a wait..

3x.webp
At least 2024, maybe 2025, all depends on when 3nm node is avaiable, sony/amd need such a node for keeping similar power target(220-250W) while upping performance at least twofold.

Just for comparision purposes, look at what amd had avaiable over a year before ps5 launch https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-5700-xt.c3339 close to 10tflops of power, build on 7nm node,rdna1.0, and 225W tdp.

Once amd has 2x stronger gpu around 225-250W tdp u know the prototypes of such things are in sony's research departament, aka its technically possible and just needs sony's higher ups decision about price and if they wanna actually pull the trigger on that thing.

Atm closest to that thing is build on 5nm node rx 7900xt, with 244% performance of 5700xt but power efficiency isnt there yet, tdp 300W https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7900-xt.c3912 so amd definitely needs that 3nm node in order to make it possible.

Ofc its just comparision of pc tech, but when that is avaiable we know console tech can be there too, ps5 is literally highend amd's APU(by the time of the launch, so holiday's of 2020), so ofc once amd can make much stronger APU then there is physical possibility for it to be in ps5pr0.

Last edited:
I think Sony should release it, just to allow for Unreal 5 titles to run at least at 1440p 60. There is going to be a big drop in IQ and framerates when these games hit. Gotham Knights look will look pristine comparatively. Just look at Sackboy on the PS4. To have 60fps they had to drop to 720p and that's a first party game. There will be Unreal titles at 60fps, but expect 900p later in the gen. People will soon change their opinion when reality hits.

Hohenheim

I'm planning to upgrade to RTX 5090 when that launches next year, and will probably save money for that instead of getting a PS5 pro as I play very few games on console. But im all for giving people the opportunity to get better performance without being into PC's, so these midgen refreshes are cool.
It's not like people are forced into upgrading in order to play the games.

I forgot to mention, and it’s important that you say this. Regardless of the final specifications of these mid-gen refreshes, I think we need to move beyond the teraflop talk. It’s become an almost useless metric.

It’s hardly ever mentioned by any of the major tech channels, especially when they’re running PC benchmarks across different cards.

I’m happy comparing performance, but let the actual results speak for themselves, rather than looking through the teraflop scope, it rarely accounts for what makes either machines so different.

The only channel I know that mentions them often is funnily enough Digital Foundry, by none other than Richard “Teraflop Differential” Leadbetter.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The meaning is clear. With the advances in cpu/gpu/memory, the games will look and perform better, improve VR2 experience, possibly better ray tracing. Im all in if both MS and Sony do “pro” mid gen refreshes.
what advances?
There were no advances.
AMD dont have soc at 200w that can go much harder than what is consoles right now. Barely anything has changed, especially at current prices and availability.

Imtjnotu

what advances?
There were no advances.
AMD dont have soc at 200w that can go much harder than what is consoles right now. Barely anything has changed, especially at current prices and availability.
they also didnt have an APU that could do what Series X is doing but its still a custom built chip. who knows what sony xbox and AMD can come up with with 4-5-6nm APU's

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I forgot to mention, and it’s important that you say this. Regardless of the final specifications of these mid-gen refreshes, I think we need to move beyond the teraflop talk. It’s become an almost useless metric.

It’s hardly ever mentioned by any of the major tech channels, especially when they’re running PC benchmarks across different cards.

I’m happy comparing performance, but let the actual results speak for themselves, rather than looking through the teraflop scope, it rarely accounts for what makes either machines so different.

The only channel I know that mentions them often is funnily enough Digital Foundry, by none other than Richard “Teraflop Differential” Leadbetter.
From what people are saying I doubt they talk much at all about the TFs of these Pro consoles but going to push other buzz words this time

PS4 PRO was bottlenecked by its comical bandwidth in ratio to its compute and fill rate above all. Easily the worst console design made by Sony. Very fitting with the honorable "mid generation upgrade" concept in fact.

It was also unbalanced because of the horrible CPU. Yes, ram bandwidth could have been better, but the goal of PS4 Pro was not to hit native 4K, but simply use quality upscaling techniques from a lower source resolution.

Anyways, a hypothetical PS5 Pro is coming from a much more balanced base with the current PS5. It would be much more balanced compared to what the PS4 Pro was to the vanilla PS4.

What node size would a PS5 Pro use if released in Dec 24, and what size would a chip end up being if it has twice the CU number?
Also, what would the power draw be on it?
To me these are the biggest factors of if it will happen.

Loxus

If Sony makes a PS5 PRO with someting like 72 CUs for a meaningful jump like some have mentioned, one should print the Road to PS5 transcript, bold the "when the triangles are small it's much harder to fill those CUs with useful work" part, roll the paper into a handy, elegant form and then put it into Cerny's bottom with all due respect.
Not only that but die size as well.
With 72 RDNA 2 CUs, the die size might be too large and not worth it for Sony performance wise. (~400mm² on 6nm)
XBSX has 16 more CUs than the PS5 and performance is more or less the same.
PS5 Pro having 72 CUs, 20 more than the XBSX should give us an example of what to expect from 72 RDNA 2 CUs in a console.

PS5 (6nm, ~278mm²)
PS5 (308mm²)
PS4 Pro (322mm²)
PS4 (348mm²)
Xbox Series X (360mm²)
RX 7900 XTX (306mm²) + (222mm² MCDs) (528mm²)

If Sony use RDNA 3, it might be worth it because of the architecture.
I went and gave it a try making all the units fit inside a die area.
Many people think you can easily fit 72 CUs (80 CUs, 8 disable for yields) into a die area with CPU cores and memory PHY without empty spaces but it's kind of difficult.
Obviously, Sony may have a better time than me working it out.

I used to 7900 XTX as a template as it has nearly the same die size as the 7nm PS5 and was a little more straight forward.
BWDL35d.png

My interpretation of the PS5 Pro.
Not 100% accurate.
d0RmbZN.png

CPU: Zen 4, N5
12 Cores, 24 Threads, 24 MB L3 Cache,
Clocked up to 4.5 GHz.

GPU: RDNA 3, N5 + N6
54 CUs (60 CUs, 6 disable)
3 Shader Engines, 3,456 (6,912) SPs
54 Ray Accelerators, 96 ROPs, 216 TMUs
5 MB L2 Cache, 40 MB Infinity Cache
Clocked up to 2.5 GHz.
17.28 (34.56) TFlops

Main Memory: GDDR6, 5 MCDs
20 GB, 320-bit bus, 16 Gbps
640 GB/sec bandwidth

Die size: (SOC ~320mm²) + (MCD ~145mm²) = 465 mm²
Monolithic without Infinity Cache, (~420mm²)
With 34 TF, I think this may be enough to run the Matrix demo at upscaled 60 fps and possibly 4k 60 with RT in some well optimized games.

The reason I would assume Sony would go with RDNA 3, is because the CUs now has 2x SIMD32.
As an example, the PS5 36 CUs as RDNA 3 would have 20.55 TFlops.
AMD RDNA 3 GPU Architecture Deep Dive: The Ryzen Moment for GPUs
You can choose to look at things in one of two ways: Either each CU now has 128 Stream Processors (SPs, or GPU shaders), and you get 12,288 total shader ALUs (Arithmetic Logic Units), or you can view it as 64 "full" SPs that just happen to have double the FP32 throughput compared to the previous generation RDNA 2 CUs.

Don't expect any big improve in RT with the PS5 Pro.
AMD 2nd Gen RT is still only one Ray Accelerator pre CU.
Hopefully its efficiency optimizations are enough.
hdQzOvc.jpg

Sony may very well just go with a 6nm monolithic RDNA 3 design without Infinity Cache.
Doing a 5nm monolithic RDNA 3 design may be too costly.
Wipe out the Infinity Fabric interface and build the whole chip as a monolithic part on TSMC's N5 node, and it would probably only measure 400–425mm^2. Apparently, the cost of TSMC N5 is so much higher than N6 that it was worth taking the chiplet route, which says something about the increasing costs of smaller fabrication nodes.

It would still be interesting seeing a chiplet soc in a console.

Last edited:

PeteBull

will the PS5 Pro be powerful enough to emulate the infamous Cell processor? I would buy a pro in a heartbeat if I can play my older discs (PS1, PS2, PS3).
u can on pc, it has not perfect but relatively good working ps3 emulator, work on it is ongoing so over years it gets better and better, if ps5pr0 will be strong enough to emulate depends on its cpu, so very likely, at least if we go 1to1 with pc and whats needed for 30 or 60fps stable ps3 emulation

PeteBull

What node size would a PS5 Pro use if released in Dec 24, and what size would a chip end up being if it has twice the CU number?
Also, what would the power draw be on it?
To me these are the biggest factors of if it will happen.
3nm and similar size chip to base ps5 when it launched in november 2020, and power draw around 220-250W so again, similar to ps5 base, thats why it makes all those speculations/rumors very probable, ofc we talking at least 2x jump in gpu power, and smaller but still substantial(maybe 30-40%) jump in cpu power.

Not only that but die size as well.
With 72 RDNA 2 CUs, the die size might be too large and not worth it for Sony performance wise. (~400mm² on 6nm)
XBSX has 16 more CUs than the PS5 and performance is more or less the same.
PS5 Pro having 72 CUs, 20 more than the XBSX should give us an example of what to expect from 72 RDNA 2 CUs in a console.

PS5 (6nm, ~278mm²)
PS5 (308mm²)
PS4 Pro (322mm²)
PS4 (348mm²)
Xbox Series X (360mm²)
RX 7900 XTX (306mm²) + (222mm² MCDs) (528mm²)

If Sony use RDNA 3, it might be worth it because of the architecture.
I went and gave it a try making all the units fit inside a die area.
Many people think you can easily fit 72 CUs (80 CUs, 8 disable for yields) into a die area with CPU cores and memory PHY without empty spaces but it's kind of difficult.
Obviously, Sony may have a better time than me working it out.

I used to 7900 XTX as a template as it has nearly the same die size as the 7nm PS5 and was a little more straight forward.
BWDL35d.png

My interpretation of the PS5 Pro.
Not 100% accurate.
d0RmbZN.png

CPU: Zen 4, N5
12 Cores, 24 Threads, 24 MB L3 Cache,
Clocked up to 4.5 GHz.

GPU: RDNA 3, N5 + N6
54 CUs (60 CUs, 6 disable)
3 Shader Engines, 3,456 (6,912) SPs
54 Ray Accelerators, 96 ROPs, 216 TMUs
5 MB L2 Cache, 40 MB Infinity Cache
Clocked up to 2.5 GHz.
17.28 (34.56) TFlops

Main Memory: GDDR6, 5 MCDs
20 GB, 320-bit bus, 16 Gbps
640 GB/sec bandwidth

Die size: (SOC ~320mm²) + (MCD ~145mm²) = 465 mm²
Monolithic without Infinity Cache, (~420mm²)
With 34 TF, I think this may be enough to run the Matrix demo at upscaled 60 fps and possibly 4k 60 with RT in some well optimized games.

The reason I would assume Sony would go with RDNA 3, is because the CUs now has 2x SIMD32.
As an example, the PS5 36 CUs as RDNA 3 would have 20.55 TFlops.
You can choose to look at things in one of two ways: Either each CU now has 128 Stream Processors (SPs, or GPU shaders), and you get 12,288 total shader ALUs (Arithmetic Logic Units), or you can view it as 64 "full" SPs that just happen to have double the FP32 throughput compared to the previous generation RDNA 2 CUs.

Don't expect any big improve in RT with the PS5 Pro.
AMD 2nd Gen RT is still only one Ray Accelerator pre CU.
Hopefully its efficiency optimizations are enough.
hdQzOvc.jpg

Sony may very well just go with a 6nm monolithic RDNA 3 design without Infinity Cache.
Doing a 5nm monolithic RDNA 3 design may be too costly.
Wipe out the Infinity Fabric interface and build the whole chip as a monolithic part on TSMC's N5 node, and it would probably only measure 400–425mm^2. Apparently, the cost of TSMC N5 is so much higher than N6 that it was worth taking the chiplet route, which says something about the increasing costs of smaller fabrication nodes.

Do you really expect Sony to use RDNA3 in 2024? Sony never used old tech like this when releasing the 3 last console (PS4, Pro, PS5). And they always added their own customizations to the GPU, even on PS4 there is some like the bit thing and onion/garlic buses. But most importantly look at what they did with Pro, they used tech (Vega) that wasn't even released yet on PC.

I disagree about the need of 12 cores CPU. On PC with 4090 GPUs we can see that an efficient 8 core CPU (with 3D cache) is enough. On console what they need is higher clocks and more caches. What they really need for the GPU is better HWRT though and that's maybe what RDNA4 is going to bring.

They also are going to use the smallest node available. This year Apple is going to mass produce their chips at 3nm, Sony could well use 3nm tech for a 2024 production. At worse they could use 4/5 nm tech (using a big and expensive APU, but who cares in a Pro model) this year and use 3nm in 2025.

And about price. Did you notice how aggressive Sony have being by using 6nm as soon as they could on PS5 (and actually increasing the price of the console to a hefty 550€ in Europe)? It seems this time they rightly really don't care about the price of their product and they seem to follow an Apple strategy about it.

Last edited:

Zuzu

My prediction:
PS5 Pro: CPU 8C16T 4-4.2GHZ, GPU 20-24 TF, 20-24GB RAM DDR5X, 1TB SSD. 599$ late 2024.
PS5 Slim: same spec at base, $399 late 2023.
Disk drive external (for pro and slim): 99$

PS5 Pro will run all new game at 4k High setting RT off or 1440P High setting + RT medium.
PS5 base + slim: 1440P High setting RT Off or 1080P High setting + RT medium.

I’d like this prediction to be true. Here’s hoping…

Last edited:

PS5 Pro for a late 2024 release would be using one of the variants of N3, not N6.

They will also not touch the CPU core count, it will remain 8 cores, but faster clocks. Probably somewhere around a 25 - 30% boost in clock speed for the CPU.

Also, to keep price in check I doubt they increase ram. They will likely just boost the bandwidth. The current amount of ram is fine, just would need better bandwidth for the improved GPU.

Last edited:
PS5 Pro for a late 2024 release would be using one of the variants of N3, not N6.

They will also not touch the CPU core count, it will remain 8 cores, but faster clocks. Probably somewhere around a 25 - 30% boost in clock speed for the CPU.

Also, to keep price in check I doubt they increase ram. They will likely just boost the bandwidth. The current amount of ram is fine, just would need better bandwidth for the improved GPU.
I wouldn't say the current amount of ram is fine though. Remember PS5 supposedly has only 12.5GB for games. They'd need like at least a couple of GB more if they want to add more RT effects. RT is ram hungry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom