• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE - PS5 Pro in Development, Could Release Late 2024

tygertrip

Where the hell was you people when I was getting Jr'ed for saying 4k was going to allow this?

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/coul...e-ghetto-into-the-comfy-couch-suburbs.492746/
LOL. I did have mine hooked up to a Sony in 2012 (somewhere around 40-47 inches, but it was at a large desk. So many people get used to something, it never occurs to them to try something different. They’ll just repeat whatever mantra… in this case “Console for living room, PC for desk! Noooooooo, you can’t use your PC on couch!!!!”

Last edited:

onQ123

LOL. I did have mine hooked up to a Sony in 2012 (somewhere around 40-47 inches, but it was at a large desk. So many people get used to something, it never occurs to them to try something different. They’ll just repeat whatever mantra… in this case “Console for living room, PC for desk! Noooooooo, you can’t use your PC on couch!!!!”
Reading that thread now is like being in the Twilight Zone 😂

Zathalus

If Sony really makes a PS5 PRO with something like 72 CUs for a meaningful jump like some have mentioned, one should print the Road to PS5 transcript, bold the "when the triangles are small it's much harder to fill those CUs with useful work" part, roll the paper into a handy, elegant form and then put it into Cerny's bottom with all due respect.
Isn't that going to be the case with any future console? Clock speed can only scale so far, so a hypothetical PS5 Pro or PS6 will obviously have to have a much higher CU count to offer any meaningful upgrade. Plus filling the CUs with useful work is a solvable problem, it's not as if the 7900 XTX is struggling, and that has 96 CUs.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Question but when ps4 pro came out, didn’t it improve ffxv performance?
Don't know but gow ran 44 fps instead of 30.
It did improve performance or resolution on some games.... but it was rookie numbers. It was an afterthought.
And my points is - We are not getting jump like this again. We are not upgrading cpu, io, ram quantity. all they can do is raise cpu clocks and up the gpu.
There are even less ways to market ps5 pro than there were ways to market ps4 pro. What are they gonna say? Oh yeah.... "the game will run 10fps better with ray tracing?"
The upgrade will not make 1440p games, full 4k or 30fps games 60fps. Not at 200w, not with current parts pricing and availability.
Unless they go crazy and the pro is 1200$.... but even then... games need patches and stuff.

Reactions: Rea
It did improve performance or resolution on some games.... but it was rookie numbers. It was an afterthought.
And my points is - We are not getting jump like this again. We are not upgrading cpu, io, ram quantity. all they can do is raise cpu clocks and up the gpu.
There are even less ways to market ps5 pro than there were ways to market ps4 pro. What are they gonna say? Oh yeah.... "the game will run 10fps better with ray tracing?"
The upgrade will not make 1440p games, full 4k or 30fps games 60fps. Not at 200w, not with current parts pricing and availability.
Unless they go crazy and the pro is 1200$.... but even then... games need patches and stuff.
PS4 Pro was never about doubling framerate. It was about 4k compatible resolutions + HDR + more stable framerates.

PS5 Pro will be a very different beast with different goals. I'd say: Much better RT effects (2, 3, 4 effects at the same time) at much better framerate. They won't even talk about resolution. They'll talk about things like fidelity, quality RT modes at a higher framerate.

Last edited:

paolo11

How do you know if we are not getting upgrades for ps5 pro? You may be right don’t get me wrong.

Say if you’re right, hypothetically, what upgrades can we expect?

PS4 Pro was never about doubling framerate. It was about 4k compatible resolutions + HDR + more stable framerates.

PS5 Pro will be a very different beast with different goals. I'd say: Much better RT effects (2, 3, 4 effects at the same time) at much better framerate. They won't even talk about resolution. They'll talk about things like fidelity, quality RT modes at a higher framerate.

Most 60 fps games run around 1440p

A pro should be able to run them at 4k60

Can't wait play all two next-gen games available on this.

Why do people keep mentioning this? You don't need exclusive next-gen games to benefit better hardware because current PS5 is not maxing out cross gen games as is.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Exactly. There are no PS5 games. I have mine since launch and to this day I haven’t played a single PS5 exclusive.
Dr Evil Whatever GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Ps4 Pro was significantly improved over Ps4.

Ps4 - 1.8 Tflops GPU - 172 Gb/s Ram Bandwidth
Ps4 Pro - 4.2 Tflops GPU - 218 Gb/s Ram Bandwidth
Meh.
I don’t expect 20 to out of 200watt machine in current world and recession

Meh.
I don’t expect 20 to out of 200watt machine in current world and recession

Late 2024 is more than 1.5 yrs away, that makes a pretty big difference. There is no predicted recession to hit hard in 2024.

Respectfully, you are thinking too much in terms of what is happening now, irrelevant. It's what will be ready for a late 2024 release. 3nm devices will be shipping later this year, so in late 2024 the manufacturing process will be even more mature and a bit cheaper.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Project Leonardo​

Project Leonardo is the only announced piece of hardware on our list. First announced in January 2023, Leonardo is a highly customizable accessibility controller that will allow players with disabilities to play more easily.

Sony says that the controllers have been developed “with key contributions from accessibility experts, community members, and game developers”.

Leanardo is highly customizable, allowing players to craft their controller to their own needs. The controller includes a robust kit of swappable components, including a variety of analog stick caps and buttons in different shapes and sizes.

Expected Release Date: Q4 2023

New PlayStation 5 Console​

If you’re following Insider Gaming regularly, then you’re probably already sick of hearing about the new PlayStation 5 with a detachable disc drive that should release later this year. Although reports have dubbed the new PlayStation 5 as the PS5 Slim, Insider Gaming understands that the console will be almost identical to the PlayStation 5 but feature a detachable disc drive. In fact, it’s understood that the new PlayStation 5 will completely phase out the old design within a year.

Although not confirmed by sources, we would hope to see the console revealed at the next PlayStation Showcase, but as you’ll see with other hardware in this list, it’s possible that the console could be revealed with some other hardware at a later date.

Expected Release Date: September 2023

New Audio Hardware​

As Insider Gaming exclusively reported in February, Sony is currently working on two new wireless audio devices for the PlayStation 5. Project Nomad (wireless earbuds) and Project Voyager (wireless headset) are expected to release by the end of FY23 (March 2024), but exact release dates and prices at unclear.

Expected Release Date: End of FY23

Q Lite (Handheld Accessory)​

Believe it or not, Sony is working on a new handheld device. But don’t get ahead of yourself, because it isn’t a successor to the Vita 2.

On a more personal level, I’ve had a lot of time to digest what exactly this new piece of hardware is going to be and to be honest, it’s more of an accessory if anything else. Only using Remote Play with the PlayStation 5, the handheld will feature adaptive streaming up to 1080p and 60FPS.

The Q Lite will look just like the DualSense controller but have a large screen in the middle and one of its main features and assumed selling points will be the incorporation of haptic feedback – Just like with the DualSense.

Once again, we hope to see this at the next PlayStation Showcase, but Sony might opt for a separate event to release its hardware lineup.

PlayStation 5 Pro​

It’s been a hot topic of discussion as of late, but yes, Insider Gaming has previously revealed that Sony does have a PlayStation 5 Pro in development. Our report in March was dismissed as being inaccurate by many when it was first reported and although the PlayStation 5 Pro could be canceled at any given time, Insider Gaming can report with a 100% degree of certainty that the PlayStation 5 Pro is currently in development.

Whilst we cannot report on any more specifics at this time, we understand that the first dev kit prototypes will be going to 1st party developers within the next couple of months, with 3rd party developers receiving them by the end of the year.

Expected Release Date: Q4 2024 (Tentative)

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

What makes you so sure that they would be so limited with the upgrade. Look at the numbers of the PS5 and then look at what is currently available. There is definitely serious potential for uplift with both the CPU and GPU.

Project Leonardo​

Project Leonardo is the only announced piece of hardware on our list. First announced in January 2023, Leonardo is a highly customizable accessibility controller that will allow players with disabilities to play more easily.

Sony says that the controllers have been developed “with key contributions from accessibility experts, community members, and game developers”.

Leanardo is highly customizable, allowing players to craft their controller to their own needs. The controller includes a robust kit of swappable components, including a variety of analog stick caps and buttons in different shapes and sizes.

New PlayStation 5 Console​

If you’re following Insider Gaming regularly, then you’re probably already sick of hearing about the new PlayStation 5 with a detachable disc drive that should release later this year. Although reports have dubbed the new PlayStation 5 as the PS5 Slim, Insider Gaming understands that the console will be almost identical to the PlayStation 5 but feature a detachable disc drive. In fact, it’s understood that the new PlayStation 5 will completely phase out the old design within a year.

Although not confirmed by sources, we would hope to see the console revealed at the next PlayStation Showcase, but as you’ll see with other hardware in this list, it’s possible that the console could be revealed with some other hardware at a later date.

Expected Release Date: September 2023

New Audio Hardware​

As Insider Gaming exclusively reported in February, Sony is currently working on two new wireless audio devices for the PlayStation 5. Project Nomad (wireless earbuds) and Project Voyager (wireless headset) are expected to release by the end of FY23 (March 2024), but exact release dates and prices at unclear.

Expected Release Date: End of FY23

Q Lite (Handheld Accessory)​

Believe it or not, Sony is working on a new handheld device. But don’t get ahead of yourself, because it isn’t a successor to the Vita 2.

On a more personal level, I’ve had a lot of time to digest what exactly this new piece of hardware is going to be and to be honest, it’s more of an accessory if anything else. Only using Remote Play with the PlayStation 5, the handheld will feature adaptive streaming up to 1080p and 60FPS.

The Q Lite will look just like the DualSense controller but have a large screen in the middle and one of its main features and assumed selling points will be the incorporation of haptic feedback – Just like with the DualSense.

Once again, we hope to see this at the next PlayStation Showcase, but Sony might opt for a separate event to release its hardware lineup.

PlayStation 5 Pro​

It’s been a hot topic of discussion as of late, but yes, Insider Gaming has previously revealed that Sony does have a PlayStation 5 Pro in development. Our report in March was dismissed as being inaccurate by many when it was first reported and although the PlayStation 5 Pro could be canceled at any given time, Insider Gaming can report with a 100% degree of certainty that the PlayStation 5 Pro is currently in development.

Whilst we cannot report on any more specifics at this time, we understand that the first dev kit prototypes will be going to 1st party developers within the next couple of months, with 3rd party developers receiving them by the end of the year.

Expected Release Date: Q4 2024 (Tentative)

Rea

Still don't understand the need for pro consoles. Let the fucking developers optimize the fuck out of current consoles hardwares. Stop adding more hardwares to optimize for fuck sake.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Those hard core gamers should buy a pc. Performance is way improved after the last patch. No more crashing, and the game runs flawlessly at native 4k with everything maxed, except ray tracing, never dipping below maybe 72 fps.
I agree, I was just thinking of that because now I see people saying "see, this is why we need a Pro"

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Those hard core gamers should buy a pc. Performance is way improved after the last patch. No more crashing, and the game runs flawlessly at native 4k with everything maxed, except ray tracing, never dipping below maybe 72 fps.
I still know a lot of people that simply don't want a gaming PC and want the console sitting in their entertainment center and come home from work and plop down on the couch and grab the controller and it just work

Many of those same people will buy a Pro console even at $1000 but simply never buy a PC

Still don't understand the need for pro consoles. Let the fucking developers optimize the fuck out of current consoles hardwares. Stop adding more hardwares to optimize for fuck sake.

You assuming no dev has been able to really optimize their games for the hardware. The fact is no amount of optimization can overcome the fact its still a 10TFlop machine where games are targeting around 1800p - 4K resolution, Ray Tracing, 60fps, etc...

You can only take optimization so far and its not like the transition from PS4 - PS5 development required some huge overhaul like in past generations where the overall architecture between generations was completely different. These are still X86 machines just using newer tech. There is nothing all that exotic about the hardware. Mark Cerny himself said the time to triangle with PS5 dev is like less than a month when coming from PS4 development.

Last edited:

Elog

Modest increase in Tflops, significant RT hardware increase, significant increase in cache and larger RAM would go a long-long way to improve the gaming experience without putting too much strain on the developers. With the new manufacturing nodes I am not sure the cost per chip increase would be that high.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

If you watch Cerny's PS4 Pro presentation, he emphasized how the Pro console was designed so the PS4 games could simply scale up, and if there was new additional features they would be streamlined as much as possible. I think they're going with the same approach with the PS5 and Pro.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I still know a lot of people that simply don't want a gaming PC and want the console sitting in their entertainment center and come home from work and plop down on the couch and grab the controller and it just work

Many of those same people will buy a Pro console even at $1000 but simply never buy a PC
I get that, i just think that people buying consoles expecting them to get them closer to high end pc experiences, then complaining when compromises have to be made on new high end games, seems a little silly. Like, the ps5 pro might be killing it at first with performance comprable to a 3090 or 3080, but then a year or two after that new gpu’s might come out that moves the base line even higher. Suddenly that ps5 pro cant run every new game at 4k 60 fps with rtx. I just cant help but feel that the complexity of game visuals and performance is outpacing consoles. Like the ps5 is still a relatively new system and we have games like returnal running at 1080p, as well as forspoken and jedi survivor at sub hd resolutions. I do think that as fsr gets better it will off set alot of these issues, but fsr seems to be advancing at a snails pace compared to dlss.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What makes you so sure that they would be so limited with the upgrade. Look at the numbers of the PS5 and then look at what is currently available. There is definitely serious potential for uplift with both the CPU and GPU.
What makes me so confident is technology and prices. There is nothing easy to market like "4k" with ps4 pro.
The console still have to be around 200w power probably. This would be a small upgrade.
Let the devs optimize

HTK

Banned
Just like in the past I think the intent with PS5 Pro: Is basically to scale up PS5 games easily and take advantage of the extra horsepower, games will still be very well optimized for PS5 which will in return work great on the PS5 Pro with extra eye candy/performance. It's a win win for everyone and again by Holiday 2024 there will be more PS5 native games.

People cry about PS5 hasn't been fully utilized well, speak for yourself. When I play Warzone it doesn't hold constant 120fps, in fact it's true for most games targeting 120fps they are always dipping to 90fps, 100fps, 110fps etc... PS5 Pro will solve this problem. If you want this gen to go to 2028 a PS5 Pro is necessary or they will start to lose people to PC which was the whole reason for a PS4 Pro. We can't go these long generations with base hardware. I don't think the Pro will hurt anything.

Ev1L AuRoN

I speak as a third-world gamer and for those of us who are not paid in dollars or euro. I really really really hate pro consoles. They defeat the whole purpose of console gaming, IMHO, that is to have a single performance target to aim and optimize for. I just bought a PS5, the console doesn't even have a steady stream of next-gen only experiences, most of its games are anchored on the last gen. It might be great for someone who can afford to buy a new console every 2/3 years, but for most of the world that is a hard pillow to swallow, you may argue that I'll be just fine having a base console, but that's not what this is about, it's like being a second class citizen where in the past you know your investment you place you in the high-end tier of the consoles for at least 5 years.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
yep exactly.
The consoles are great this gen. The hardware is very good.
If devs get used to new hardware like if it was a smartphone market, then why would they ever bother optimizing if users can get a more powerful console. Look at the pc! "but it runs good 46fps on a 4090"

Reactions: Rea
Top Bottom