• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE - PS5 Pro in Development, Could Release Late 2024

Looking at the fact that AMD is skipping 7800, I am not sure we are going to get 2x more performance like we did with the PS4 Pro. We might get 2x more tflops but the performance might fall short of a full 2x boost.

VcqRtz3.jpg

6600xt is a 10.6 tflops GPU. 6950xt is a 24 tflops GPU. And the 7900xt is a 40 tflops GPU that consumes over 300 watts on its own. Safe to say that it cannot be put in a console with a power budget of 200-230 watts like the PS5.

The 6950xt might be possible but it will require far more expensive vram and a more sophisticated cooling solution than the giant heatsink Sony put in the PS5. I suspect $600 for this 24 tflops console.

That said, I dont think it will be enough unless Cerny can fix AMD's RT performance. AMD Promised better RT performance in their RDNA3.0 cards but its mostly the same. Cerny was rumored to have implemented a better RT solution in the PS5 but we now know that to be a false rumor. I really hope he's rethinking AMD's design and adding some custom hardware to accelerated RDNA 3.0's RT performance even further.

Same goes for better machine learning hardware so they can use DLSS style upscaling. Cerny pioneered the use of checkerboarding in 2016 with the Pro, and I really hope hes got another Ace up his sleeve because FSR simply isnt good enough as we are seeing in Star Wars. And since FSR is upsaling star wars from 1080p, the PS5 Pro will likely upscale from 1440p offering better results but the same damn artifacts and ghosting.

Let’s assume a PS5 Pro is happening. Mark Cerny will likely pluck features from RDNA 4, or even better be based on RDNA 4. 36 CU on RDNA 4 can roughly double the render performance of the PS5 and I mean actual render performance not teraflops.

I think we can see what Cerny did with Pro and checkerboard rendering, which was good at the time but didn’t age well given the ghosting and artifacting side effects.

Worst case scenario they can’t double render performance but I’m sure they’ll get close, and if not they can scrape it back via upscaling speaking of which…

I think a PS5 Pro will have some sort of hardware acceleration for FSR 3.0 or maybe Sony’s own custom solution. The new generation upscaling techniques are much more promising as we know and the PS5 Pro could easily have it’s version of DLSS 2/3 with similar visual and performance results relative to the hardware.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Cerny took the Rx 480, made some additions to it, and put it in the PS4 Pro with near identical Jaguar CPU, cooling solution, and slightly faster clocked GDDR5. He will pick whatever he wants out of their lineup and thats where the actual costs come in, but billions? Just for that? nah.
Pro was as much an opportunity cost as some other things - but it's development quite substantively predates RX480 (add also the fact it was more custom than any other GPU that gen).
But agreed - it wasn't a massive R&D investment at scale of a new console launch. My understanding was it happened more as a function of node-shrinks no longer being cost effective - and since they were forced to burn $ for one anyway, they took the opportunity to spin-up the second chip.

Which is also another reason a supposed PS5 Pro looks like a very different situation, if it happened.

And the 7900xt is a 40 tflops GPU that consumes over 300 watts on its own. Safe to say that it cannot be put in a console with a power budget of 200-230 watts like the PS5.
No - but if they're going full-custom, one 7840U gets 8TFlops@30W. Even if we ignore that part of that TDP is the CPU - just stacking 7 of them would fit inside console power-budget with a much higher TFlop throughput...
Sure - there's the issue of working with several discrete GPU modules instead of one developer friendly monolith - but that's the one thing consoles can afford to do, it's not PC development. Or at least, that's what console philosophy used to do, back in the day when they still tried pushing the envelope... 2 decades ago.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
36 CU on RDNA 4 can roughly double the render performance of the PS5 and I mean actual render performance not teraflops.

If they stick with 36 CUs then they will need to hit 4.4 Ghz on the GPU which quite frankly will be impossible.

They have no choice but to add more CUs. They can stick with the 60 CU 6800xt but that tops out at 20 tflops with roughly 20% less performance than the 6950xt which itself isnt 100% more powerful than the PS5 so yeah, they are going to have to rely on FSR3 or other machine learning stuff to improve performance.

There might be an IPC gain on RDNA4.0, but they havent had any IPC gains since RDNA1.0. 2.0 and 3.0 just got the perf/watt upgrades, but they are not getting more performance per tflops.

Pro was as much an opportunity cost as some other things - but it's development quite substantively predates RX480 (add also the fact it was more custom than any other GPU that gen).
But agreed - it wasn't a massive R&D investment at scale of a new console launch. My understanding was it happened more as a function of node-shrinks no longer being cost effective - and since they were forced to burn $ for one anyway, they took the opportunity to spin-up the second chip.

Which is also another reason a supposed PS5 Pro looks like a very different situation, if it happened.

No - but if they're going full-custom, one 7840U gets 8TFlops@30W. Even if we ignore that part of that TDP is the CPU - just stacking 7 of them would fit inside console power-budget with a much higher TFlop throughput...
Sure - there's the issue of working with several discrete GPU modules instead of one developer friendly monolith - but that's the one thing consoles can afford to do, it's not PC development. Or at least, that's what console philosophy used to do, back in the day when they still tried pushing the envelope... 2 decades ago.
I am not buying that the 8 tflops handheld is actually 8 tflops. it sure doesnt perform like that if you look at the benchmarks from AMD. I think its the same situation as AMD's 7900xtx which is 53 tflops but performs more like a 30-35 tflops GPU. The performance boost from the 24 tflops 6950xt is only 50% despite 105% more tflops.

And Sony is definitely using the new smaller chips. There is this big misconception that the smaller chips are no longer cheaper, nah they are. They are just not as cheap as they used to be. it's cutting into their margins and I fully expect the PS5 pro to be $599 because of it, but the PS5 slim is definitely coming and it will be cheaper than the OG PS5 because those 4-5nm RDNA 2.0 chips will be smaller and thus cheaper.

I am not too concerned about the CPU footprint. These Zen 3 CPUs can operate on very low power budgets and the consoles will skimp on the L3 and 3D cache anyway in favor of bigger GPUs. I just hope they come up with a better RT and DLSS solution on par with nvidia and for that they will need dedicated RT cores and tensor cores. AMD repurposing their CUs to support ray tracing clearly didnt work out. No one wants to play Star Wars jedi fallen order at sub 1080p.

DaGwaphics

No. You're wrong.

The development of a PS5 Pro is not research. It's a multi-billion dollar, multi-year engineering design undertaking. For a Pro to launch in 2023/24 the design would have to have started when there was no clarity on the potential end of component scarcity. I highly doubt they would have continued with the project under the premise that they'll be potentially cannibalizing components from their base console (read: higher volume).

Supply problems would never stop R&D, two completely different areas of business. If there is a PS5 Pro, it would have been in development since a good time before the PS5 launch. I'm sure whatever PS6 will be is already be worked on as well. If they waited until they needed it, the chips would never be ready.

Multi-billion dollars? Nah, its just a bunch of engineers like Cerny cooped up in an office playing with AMD's toys piggybacking off of THEIR R&D which undoubtedly started as soon if not before they shipped the RDNA 2.0 cards in 2020. The 7000 series proves that.

Cerny took the Rx 480, made some additions to it, and put it in the PS4 Pro with near identical Jaguar CPU, cooling solution, and slightly faster clocked GDDR5. He will pick whatever he wants out of their lineup and thats where the actual costs come in, but billions? Just for that? nah.

No.

Visit the Beyond3D forum and look up the thread discussion on next-gen consoles from people who actually work in the semiconductor industry. You'll be very surprised by how expensive and how long these projects take.

The fact is, you're currently way off.

SlimySnake

No.

Visit the Beyond3D forum and look up the thread discussion on next-gen consoles from people who actually work in the semiconductor industry. You'll be very surprised by how expensive and how long these projects take.

Sony is simply buying chips from them. They are involved in customizing them just like every other cellphone, car, plane, and whoever is using these AMD and nvidia chips. AMD brunts the multibillion cost of R&D. Not Sony. tesla buys AMD RDNA2.0 chips. if Elon found out that they were spending multi-billion every few years on revisions, he would fire everyone and send them to space. come on.

Sony's main cost is the actual chip which they buy in bulk which then gets added to the BOM of the console. the PS5 BOM was $450. The chip cost was maybe $150-200. Thats it. Thats what Sony pays which is then passed on to the consumer who buy the console at $500 letting sony recoup the cost of actual manufacturing the console.

saintjules

So when the PS5 Pro comes out and it doesn't hold 4k/60 in some games, then what happens?

We move on to talking about the PS6?

I don't expect to hear any serious talk about the PS6 until 2026/27. This generation hasn't truly begun yet imo.

StereoVsn

No.

Yep, folks have no idea how modern chip design works, how hard and complex it is and how much it costs.

I worked with some folks with much much simpler chip design solutions and it took tens of millions $ for infinitely less complexity vs a modern console.

Edit: On PS4 Pro, IMO we will see it toward end of next year, right at that 4 year mark.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I like it. It's once a gen and you can just trade up and Upgrade while staying in a closed ecosystem. It's a great compromise for people that don't want the more frequent upgrading and tinkering with settings. PS4 Pro was definitely worth the upgrade. I want a more modular PS6 that can be upgraded further. The SSD and open USB ports on PS5 are awesome. Especially for audio options. Making the DS4 not compatible with PS5 games ended up working and DualSense support has been fantastic. I hope they keep up the balance that makes sense.

SlimySnake

So when the PS5 Pro comes out and it doesn't hold 4k/60 in some games, then what happens?

We move on to talking about the PS6?
Star Wars is running at 1080p down to sub 900p at times in its 30 fps Quality mode. Deadspace runs at 960p internal resolution in its performance mode. Matrix drops to 1080p as well. Doubling the performance of the PS5 will let people get closer to 1440p at best. It will still be a huge upgrade.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I am not buying that the 8 tflops handheld is actually 8 tflops. it sure doesnt perform like that if you look at the benchmarks from AMD.
That's kind of secondary, we were comparing RDNA3 TFlops either way.
My point was mainly that these smaller chips potentially indicate that large chip complexes aren't necessarily the most power efficient way to scale compute. The kind of performance/Watt these smaller dies get compared to their larger counterparts - raises questions what consoles could look like with a less developer friendly, more programmer driven compute with a higher throughput. It's what I was referring to in the types of trade-offs older consoles usually routinely did to improve performance.
And it's not entirely without precedent - Apple modern chips follow the philosophy of stacking multiple GPU complexes rather than one big chip.
But to be fair - it's only an observation based on power efficiency, I'm not a hw engineer by trade.

Star Wars is running at 1080p down to sub 900p at times in its 30 fps Quality mode. Deadspace runs at 960p internal resolution in its performance mode. Matrix drops to 1080p as well.
Sad thing is that only one of these 3 looks like it's making visual trade-offs that warrant that kind of performance. Frankly some of the software we've been getting recently feels more like traditional launch titles in other console gens (highly unpolished, without a good sense of the hw targets it was supposed to run on and somewhat confused visual targets) - it's just odd seeing that 2.5 years in.

Loxus

I don't expect to hear any serious talk about the PS6 until 2026/27. This generation hasn't truly begun yet imo.
Within a year of PS5 release, some wanted a PS5 Pro.

History will repeat itself.
Within a year of PS5 Pro release, it'll be the same thing over again.

"PS5 Pro not powerful enough, we need PS6"

Del_X

The 60fps and more ray tracing machine.

Base PS5 will be 30fps with “ok” ray tracing.

Guessing it’ll be around a 3080ti or so.

SNG32

The 60fps and more ray tracing machine.

Base PS5 will be 30fps with “ok” ray tracing.

Guessing it’ll be around a 3080ti or so.
Only a handful of devs will put the pro hardware to use. For exclusives it will be great but I can see a lot of fuckery going on with multiplats

Bandwidth should be greatly improved, the PS5 is already bandwidth starved. 448GB/s would only be good if it wasn't being shared with the CPU too. RAM allocation should be bumped to, 4GB bump of usable RAM minimum.

Last edited:

Baki

Plot twist. The PS5 Pro is actually just the server blades that Sony is developing for their PS5 cloud network. They likely want to get to a place where 1 server blade can support 2-4 streams.

Neo_game

I speak as a third-world gamer and for those of us who are not paid in dollars or euro. I really really really hate pro consoles. They defeat the whole purpose of console gaming, IMHO, that is to have a single performance target to aim and optimize for. I just bought a PS5, the console doesn't even have a steady stream of next-gen only experiences, most of its games are anchored on the last gen. It might be great for someone who can afford to buy a new console every 2/3 years, but for most of the world that is a hard pillow to swallow, you may argue that I'll be just fine having a base console, but that's not what this is about, it's like being a second class citizen where in the past you know your investment you place you in the high-end tier of the consoles for at least 5 years.

Pro is not going to replace PS5 lol. It will just give higher res or twice the fps PS5 can do unless the game is very CPU bound. It will actually increase the lifespan of PS5 for some more years.

Rea

What @HTK said is from Sony's own mouth, it was made to stop people switching to the PC

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-explains-how-ps4-pro-may-help-keep-people-fro/1100-6443431/
Fair enough, that's another reason but not the only reason for pro models. Base ps4 is very weak out of the box, can't output 4k resolution, whereas PS5 is equipped with latest AMD's technology when it came out and still powerful until today. PS5 check alot of boxes unlike PS4. With current situation where PS exclusives are coming to PC, the pro version is a waste of resources.

Rea

I knew I wasn't crazy, thanks for the source HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4

But of course Rea Rea they will market the machine also for 4K because it was capable to run some games natively but majority never reached 4k native but did reach 4k checkerboarded.
It doesn't matter the internal resolution, as long as the console can output 4k resolution, base ps4 can't even do image upscaling to 4k. Sony just worried those 4K tv owners switching to PC, because base PS4 is weak on arrival. PS5 is different story. But who knows, i don't really care. I already have beefy PC, and PS5 is enough for me. Since the exclusive are coming to PC anyway, I will just wait if I want better graphics.

Donald Trump Whatever GIF by Mashable

GAF machine

Plot twist: It's not a "pro" console... it's a "lite" version ala Series S :messenger_sunglasses:

Plot twist, twist: It's a "pro" console, not a 'Pro' console... but still a 'Pro' console. Same CPU, GPU and clocks as the existing PS5, but the APU adds six CUs (bigger compute pool benefits temporal upscaling, RT, etc.) plus a XDNA AI engine; and the CPU/GPU are CELL-integrated. PS1, 2, 3, 4, 5, PSP and VR games automatically get upscaled to as high as 4K via a custom DLSS-like solution with performance that rivals or beats FSR 2.0. :messenger_sunglasses:

hussar16

If it's anything like pro I am not buying it. Pro felt like I got cheated thinking the marketing of it was going to make most if not all 4k when in truth it only did 4k in about 10 percent of titles and everything else was the same. Not this time sony.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
If it's anything like pro I am not buying it. Pro felt like I got cheated thinking the marketing of it was going to make most if not all 4k when in truth it only did 4k in about 10 percent of titles and everything else was the same. Not this time sony.
Of course, you conveniently forgot to mention that the Pro also introduced "performance" modes and that every game that supported said mode benefited greatly from it.
After playing shadow of the colossus at 60fps you just couldn't go back to 30, same with GOW, and the evil within 2, and Hellblade, and Hitman, and Infamous, and TLOU remastered, and Monster Hunter and...

If anything, the Pro, in the end, was a better deal than what Sony had promised in the beginning (they kind of downplayed it as a "4K console for those that have 4K TVs" and nothing else since they obviously tried to avoid a PR fiasco and furore from fans that already had a PS4).

The only downside ? Its build quality, it felt shoddy and we all know about the now infamous fan noise, other than that though it was a good deal that the "hardcore" enthusiasts appreciated, why play at 30fps when you can play at 60 (or almost 60) ?

Last edited:

hussar16

Of course, you conveniently forgot to mention that the Pro also introduced "performance" modes and that every game that supported said mode benefited greatly from it.
After playing shadow of the colossus at 60fps you just couldn't go back to 30, same with GOW, and the evil within 2, and Hellblade, and Hitman, and Infamous, and TLOU remastered, and Monster Hunter and...

If anything, the Pro, in the end, was a better deal than what Sony had promised in the beginning (they kind of downplayed it as a "4K console for those that have 4K TVs" and nothing else since they obviously tried to avoid a PR fiasco and furore from fans that already had a PS4).

The only downside ? Its build quality, it felt shoddy and we all know about the now infamous fan noise, other than that though it was a good deal that the "hardcore" enthusiasts appreciated, why play at 30fps when you can play at 60 (or almost 60) ?
perfromacne mode was like 5 fps boost. stop luying

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Within a year of PS5 release, some wanted a PS5 Pro.

History will repeat itself.
Within a year of PS5 Pro release, it'll be the same thing over again.

"PS5 Pro not powerful enough, we need PS6"
And the never ending, "will just wait for <insert gen's> Pro model." Only to extend it into every gen.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I got a PS4 Pro and ended up playing the games in Quality mode, with a PS5 Pro I'd still play the next batch of games in Quality mode, 4K/60 is nice but when offered the choice of Performance or Quality I always go Quality so I'll probably sit this one out, there'll have to be a really big difference in GFX to make me splash and playing the current games full quality at 4K/60 just ain't worth the expense.

I honestly can't tell the difference between 40fps & 60fps on my OLED and from my seating position but I can see the difference in graphical cut backs to hit 60

TrebleShot

I wonder what the dev community would think about this, will this mean that they have to re patch their games again like they had to with PS4 - PS5 ? I thought the whole point of the X86 arch meant they wouldn’t really have to. If so i can see it being a balance for devs if they should bother or not.

Go_Ly_Dow

Star Wars is running at 1080p down to sub 900p at times in its 30 fps Quality mode. Deadspace runs at 960p internal resolution in its performance mode. Matrix drops to 1080p as well. Doubling the performance of the PS5 will let people get closer to 1440p at best. It will still be a huge upgrade.
Star Wars and Deadspace have two things in common. Electronic Arts.

Also, UE4 and Frostbite, so not exactly the most cutting edge tech. Star Wars also clearly rushed to launch.

Not arguing against having an upgrade option with a PS5 Pro (I'll probably get it), but more so thinking the poor performance of those games on PS5 has more to do with the company and tech behind them rather than the specs of the console. We can see with Horizon FW and Burning Shores that the PS5 can push pretty amazing visuals at higher resolution and framerates than mentioned games. We can also judge the power of base PS5 further very soon with FFXVI and Spiderman 2 in the coming months. Both will launch with 30fps and 60fps modes and push the console in different ways.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
This is simply not true. Most games that came out after the Pro released got one or more Pro modes.

Mr.Phoenix

I wonder what the dev community would think about this, will this mean that they have to re patch their games again like they had to with PS4 - PS5 ? I thought the whole point of the X86 arch meant they wouldn’t really have to. If so i can see it being a balance for devs if they should bother or not.
I doubt they would have to being that most of these games already have two performance targets and are using DRS.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I got a PS4 Pro and ended up playing the games in Quality mode, with a PS5 Pro I'd still play the next batch of games in Quality mode, 4K/60 is nice but when offered the choice of Performance or Quality I always go Quality so I'll probably sit this one out, there'll have to be a really big difference in GFX to make me splash and playing the current games full quality at 4K/60 just ain't worth the expense.

I honestly can't tell the difference between 40fps & 60fps on my OLED and from my seating position but I can see the difference in graphical cut backs to hit 60

Preferring 4K30 Vs 60fps modes...it's a personal thing and won't argue with that man, being able to see the graphical cutbacks at 60fps modes and not the absolute judder-fest at 30fps especially on an OLED screen though...I just don't know how's that even possible.

I could understand if we were talking about an LCD/LED 4K TV but on an OLED, 30fps is friggin' unplayable, it's literally a judder-athon with constant skips and missing frames feel...not good at all, in fact, I really hope that from now on, every game will feature a performance/60fps mode 'cause sure as hell the 30fps ones , on OLED Tvs is a big no-no.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Preferring 4K30 Vs 60fps modes...it's a personal thing and won't argue with that man, being able to see the graphical cutbacks at 60fps modes and not the absolute judder-fest at 30fps especially on an OLED screen though...I just don't know how's that even possible.

I could understand if we were talking about an LCD/LED 4K TV but on an OLED, 30fps is friggin' unplayable, it's literally a judder-athon with constant skips and missing frames feel...not good at all, in fact, I really hope that from now on, every game will feature a performance/60fps mode 'cause sure as hell the 30fps ones , on OLED Tvs is a big no-no.
I've never experienced anything like that, UC4, TLOU2, R&C, SPIDERMAN etc etc all are buttery smooth on my LG at Quality settings aka 30/40fps

Would i prefer 60? of course but I'm not willing to sacrifice the drop in graphics when 40fps is perfectly fine again imo

DJ12

Only a handful of devs will put the pro hardware to use. For exclusives it will be great but I can see a lot of fuckery going on with multiplats
What?

We already have 30 40 60 120 with or without vrr modes.

So your 30 mode becomes 60 on the pro

I won't be buying a pro to play a game that's going to melt my eyeballs with its beauty, I'll be buying it to play games that look like ps5 game but at a much higher framerate and resolution.

with many pounds of salt as always

Jesus Chirst... how on earth did RGT drag 5 minutes worth of information into a 30 minute+ video.

TLDR : He doesn't know a lot, and it's mostly speculation. Half of his sources say the Pro is in development, the other half are saying it's been scrapped. APU is based on RDNA 3+ and uses Zen 4/5. The rest is just pure speculation.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Jesus Chirst... how on earth did RGT drag 5 minutes worth of information into a 30 minute+ video.

TLDR : He doesn't know a lot, and it's mostly speculation. Half of his sources say the Pro is in development, the other half are saying it's been scrapped. APU is based on RDNA 3+ and uses Zen 4/5. The rest is just pure speculation.
I can't watch him as he does drag stuff out way too much

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
What?

We already have 30 40 60 120 with or without vrr modes.

So your 30 mode becomes 60 on the pro

I won't be buying a pro to play a game that's going to melt my eyeballs with its beauty, I'll be buying it to play games that look like ps5 game but at a much higher framerate and resolution.
This is the thing, that'll only go for the current games and maybe the ones due out around the time, but Devs gonna Dev and will always if given the headroom push for better visuals so instead of removing the 30fps option and using 60 as a baseline and developing from there they'll still offer that 30fps mode with even more bells and whistles

Last edited:

Loxus

with many pounds of salt as always

12 Zen 4 Cores and 60 RDNA 3 CUs is the best bet.

I pain stinkingly scaled Zen 4 and RDNA 3 to make an APU and 12 Cores and 60 CUs works out much better than any other combination.
Monolithic is even harder to work out.
You guys can try yourself, maybe someone could work it out better than me.
GeT4LOa.png

In this video Mark Cerny said devs wanted 16 CPU Cores, so putting 12 CPU Cores in the Pro wouldn't be bad.
56 CUs (60 total) is basically 18+18+18.
18 for PS4 BC, 36 for PS5 and 36+18 for PS5 Pro.
Not 100% accurate.
7Y1hbWM.png

Top Bottom