• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE - PS5 Pro in Development, Could Release Late 2024

kyliethicc

PS5 Pro should just be built to run more games at 60 FPS

more PS5 games will end up being 30 FPS or 40 FPS max

make a console that can run them at 60 FPS, charge an extra $100

PS4 Pro did this exact thing, just with resolution. now do it with framerate

onQ123

Wii is a mid gen refresh and an OLED screen upgrade with ZERO spec upgrade is a midgen refresh.

Ok.

Basically they release a new model to prolong the generation without making a whole new console they are refreshes.

The point is you don't know what PS5 Pro need to sell, it could be a simple upclock & it would still sell in place of the old PS5

Xbox One S sold more than the Xbox One X by the way

Last edited:
My only worry about a pro version of the current consoles would be trying to chase the 8k train. Please don't, stick to 4k and RT please instead of trying to chase unrealistic resolutions.
Lol yeah like we conquered 4k already or something. We have gamers literally playing last gen fidelity in higher res's because console-only gamers dont understand how substantial the cost is for 4k/60 fps and RT.

Thats literally a 4 series card. And ps5 has like....a 2 series

Lol yeah like we conquered 4k already or something. We have gamers literally playing last gen fidelity in higher res's because console-only gamers dont understand how substantial the cost is for 4k/60 fps and RT.

Thats literally a 4 series card. And ps5 has like....a 2 series
My only worry about a pro version of the current consoles would be trying to chase the 8k train. Please don't, stick to 4k and RT please instead of trying to chase unrealistic resolutions.

Id like to add that I'm the weirdo that'll take more polygons and physics in 1080p(or upscaled) 30-45 fps in single player games over what were doing now...

Because id actually feel like im getting my money worth tech wise...you guys act like going back and playing uncharted 2 is unplayable lol . Which makes since if im talking to alot people who were born in 2000 or something. But iys just nit remotely true

OuterLimits

I'd be happy if all a PS5 Pro added was full BC with all previous PS consoles, physical disk support.

Sony: " Sorry that won't be possible. However, We are proud to offer the PlayStation Plus Premium service where you can enjoy PS3 games via cloud streaming on your PS5 or PS5 Pro. We will also add a few classics from the PS1/PS2/PSP systems occasionally when we remember this specific Plus tier exists"

Pimpbaa

Late 2024 means they would be looking at hardware NOW or very soon, that means unless they are sticking a high end amd gpu in this thing (which I doubt due to power needs and cooling it would require and of course cost) it is going to be disappointing as fuck.

supernova8

Banned
Easiest skip ever in video game history. I think I've played less than 10 games on my PS5 so far since 2020.

I'll buy a Switch 2 instead.
Yeah this is why I'm glad I haven't jumped into PS5. Just seems pointless.

Definitely enjoying my Series S with Game Pass though. At least it's not even really trying to be next-gen.
I'd be gutted if I got a Series X and all I had to play was the same old shit just upscaled to 4K.

Might sell my Series S and get a Series X later down the line but not until MS actually puts out half the true next gen games it seems to have cooking (or so it says...).

Last edited:
Yeah this is why I'm glad I haven't jumped into PS5. Just seems pointless.

Definitely enjoying my Series S with Game Pass though. At least it's not even really trying to be next-gen.
I'd be gutted if I got a Series X and all I had to play was the same old shit just upscaled to 4K.

Might sell my Series S and get a Series X later down the line but not until MS actually puts out half the true next gen games it seems to have cooking (or so it says...).
honestly that's what I hate about the last 2 gens, AAA games are more rare now and buying a console day one seems pointless since they don't see great games until further into the generation.

Gamepass is the only thing really sticking me to consoles at the moment, but even the Xbox is lacking big AAA games.

I'll only buy a Pro version of either console if the games are there, if not I'll just wait until the PS6 and The Last of Us Part 3 comes out.

PeteBull

Betting that the PS5 Pro will be $599USD.

I don't see it being priced the same as the PSVR2 and don't see it at $499 - the same price as the disc based model of the original.

Could be a dream, but if the Pro can run games like The Matrix demo comfortably at 4k60fps with greater use of RT, then I'm down.
All depends on the power, but 4k60 for matrix demo would require about 3,5-4x gpu power jump and 2x cpu jump, so pretty much impossible even for 600, hell might be outright impossible, im expecting 2-2,5x gpu power jump and maybe 1,5x cpu power jump for 800, which would still be good deal vs 550 ps5

PeteBull

PS5 Pro should just be built to run more games at 60 FPS

more PS5 games will end up being 30 FPS or 40 FPS max

make a console that can run them at 60 FPS, charge an extra $100

PS4 Pro did this exact thing, just with resolution. now do it with framerate
If u bump up resolution, like in ps4 base vs ps4pro case, its much easier, 1080p to 1440p is +78% of pixels, so ps4pro with its 2,2x gpu power and similar(bit faster but almost the same) cpu could easily do it, especially using checkerboarding "trick".
If u going from 4k30 to 4k60 u need at least 2x gpu power and 2x cpu power, so much harder to achieve, and remember ps5 is now 550, so if u expecting ps5pro for 50bucks more with 2x gpu and 2x cpu power imo pipedream, 800 would be more in line.

kyliethicc

If u bump up resolution, like in ps4 base vs ps4pro case, its much easier, 1080p to 1440p is +78% of pixels, so ps4pro with its 2,2x gpu power and similar(bit faster but almost the same) cpu could easily do it, especially using checkerboarding "trick".
If u going from 4k30 to 4k60 u need at least 2x gpu power and 2x cpu power, so much harder to achieve, and remember ps5 is now 550, so if u expecting ps5pro for 50bucks more with 2x gpu and 2x cpu power imo pipedream, 800 would be more in line.
the PS5 is $400. or $500 if you want a disc drive

Hunnybun

Depends if the games are CPU limited, doesn't it?

All the indications are that we'll carry on getting performance modes, so in that case we should be able to go from 1440p60 to about 4k60 without too much trouble. I'm not sure about other bells and whistles from fidelity modes like RT, though? Seems like a maybe, especially with much better RT acceleration?

PeteBull

All the indications are that we'll carry on getting performance modes, so in that case we should be able to go from 1440p60 to about 4k60 without too much trouble. I'm not sure about other bells and whistles from fidelity modes like RT, though? Seems like a maybe, especially with much better RT acceleration?
Cpu limits happen more than u think, ofc devs are smart and cut whenever possible to make it, but dont ever think those best looking games running at 4k30fps dont use cpu to max or close to max, especially when shit hits the fan, aka tons of npc's on screen, action sequences, fast movement etc, ofc if we talking 4k60, or even dynamic 1800p-4k in 60 we dont want 60fps with dips to 30-40 but actual solid 60 which means most of the time internally w/o cap those games gonna have to run well above 60.

My prediction:
PS5 Pro: CPU 8C16T 4-4.2GHZ, GPU 20-24 TF, 20-24GB RAM DDR5X, 1TB SSD. 599$ late 2024.
PS5 Slim: same spec at base, $399 late 2023.
Disk drive external (for pro and slim): 99$

PS5 Pro will run all new game at 4k High setting RT off or 1440P High setting + RT medium.
PS5 base + slim: 1440P High setting RT Off or 1080P High setting + RT medium.

A PS5 Pro without a disc drive can't cost $200 more than a PS5 Digital right now

We are talking about a mid-gen here not a PS6

at $600 it would be dead in the water

$500 max

Last edited:
A PS5 Pro without a disc drive can't cost $200 more than a PS5 Digital right now

$500 max
It's a luxury product and as such it's not really about price. They don't intend to replace PS5 with that model and they won't have trouble selling it at a high price.

If anything making a timid PS4 Pro and selling it only 100$ more than a PS4 was actually a mistake.

It's a luxury product and as such it's not really about price.

Yes, a console is always about price. What are you describing is PC components...

A game console can't be a "luxury product" by definition, let alone a mid-gen one that will never have "exclusive" software in its entire lifetime

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yes, a console is always about price. What are you describing is PC components...

A game console can't be a "luxury product" by definition, let alone a mid-gen one that will never have "exclusive" software in its entire lifetime
Close to 30% of the people who voted on the other thread say they would spend over $800 on a premium sku so that tells me it would be far from dead in the water

PC components you say? Would you even describe a $600 GPU as a premium product in the current PC marketspace where enthousiast players casually spend 1000$ to 2000$ for them just to graphically improve the few games they are actually playing?

A console, a product can be anything the manufacturer want it to be. Sony invented the concept of mid-gen console because they knew there was a market for it and they'll do it again because there is still a market for it.

I'll skip the refresh this gen... just give me the PS6... normally I go for shit like this but the bump in resolution or whatever nominal bullshit it will be is just not worth it anymore... it's not like ps1› ps2 or ps3 › ps4. I'm over the constant mid gen refreshes. Havent' even seen anything truly mindblowing yet with the current tech.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I agree with DF’s take in that there’s no AMD card in existence right now that could make a PS5 Pro make sense.

There’s also no newer resolution to chase, like there was with PS4 Pro and 4K. I don’t see Sony simply pushing out another box for higher frame rates. The mainstream doesn’t care about that.

I don’t believe there’s going to be a Pro system this gen.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I agree with DF’s take in that there’s no AMD card in existence right now that could make a PS5 Pro make sense.

There’s also no newer resolution to chase, like there was with PS4 Pro and 4K. I don’t see Sony simply pushing out another box for higher frame rates. The mainstream doesn’t care about that.

I don’t believe there’s going to be a Pro system this gen.
Probably better if MS and Sony just release a new console with same specs, but double the SSD storage. Every generation has models with boosted storage space, so it's due as games are edging up bigger.

PeteBull

Cpu limits happen more than u think, ofc devs are smart and cut whenever possible to make it, but dont ever think those best looking games running at 4k30fps dont use cpu to max or close to max, especially when shit hits the fan, aka tons of npc's on screen, action sequences, fast movement etc, ofc if we talking 4k60, or even dynamic 1800p-4k in 60 we dont want 60fps with dips to 30-40 but actual solid 60 which means most of the time internally w/o cap those games gonna have to run well above 60.

$500 max
many ppl would buy it even fror 800$, 600 is almost same as base ps5

saintjules

Some good points they make but my spidey senses say its coming

Yeah, there's some great points there. Specifically that developers would have to make sure their games are running across several platforms. And no game is really taking full advantage of the hardware currently from what we've seen. So the current placement of where we are tech wise - it doesn't benefit doing an upgrade. Maybe once we get past cross-gen titles, perhaps.

Business wise? I agree, a Pro would be coming in some capacity. In the very least, a cash cow that has buzz words (ie. 8K resolution) to entice enthusiasts.

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'd like to think of it as Sony boosting their revenue with a Pro.

TSMC 3nm should allow for 4080 levels, which would be midrange by the time Nvidia release the 5000.

Some selling points could be:
Superior raytracing,
FSR3 frame generation
Game switching (larger NVme drive would allow for it)
Higher refresh rates/resolution (including enhanced VR quality)
Dolby Vision support

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

I'd like to think of it as Sony boosting their revenue with a Pro.

TSMC 3nm should allow for 4080 levels, which would be midrange by the time Nvidia release the 5000.

Some selling points could be:
Superior raytracing,
FSR3 frame generation
Game switching (larger NVme drive would allow for it)
Higher refresh rates/resolution (including enhanced VR quality)
Dolby Vision support
Xbox ONE X has Dolby vision for gaming. A new SoC isnt whats holding PS5 back.

Xbox ONE X has Dolby vision for gaming. A new SoC isnt whats holding PS5 back.

Exactly. Dolby has an exclusive agreement with Microsoft for Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision in games

Dolby Vision is supported natively in just a handful of games anyway, the industry standard is HDR10

Last edited:

Pelta88

I checked with my inside sources. She said it was bullshit.

I'm still willing to make a month long avi bet with anyone who believes this nonsense.

MacReady13

Is it something we need? The PS5 is powerful enough and really, no one has truly shown us what the PS5 is capable of doing cause they are STILL doing cross gen games! Once we start seeing PS5 only games the machine will truly shine.
In saying all of that, I'd still buy a PS5 pro no doubt! More power is ALWAYS better but is it NEEDED yet? I don't know...

PeteBull

Some good points they make but my spidey senses say its coming
Watched it, DF's arguments make totally 0 sense actually:

Their first point is- devs wont wanna targed ps5, pr0 and ps4 base/pr0 at the same time- obviously by 2024 or 2025 no1 will require of the devs to targed ps4/ps4pr0, even now devs dont have to do it since u got current gen exclusive games.

Their 2nd point is equally as stupid/invalid- about amd not having strong/efficient enough chip- ofc they dont now, but in a year or two they will be, and its enough if its 2x as strong as ps5, which is 5700xt power equivalent with downcloked badly r7 3800x, and with much lowered cache, we dont have to have portable 4090 and we still got 1 or 2 more nodes of time.

Their 3rd point is- and again- totally 0 logic- that current gen didnt start yet and no1 wants 8k- the things is, every1 wanna 60fps and not 1080p-1440p 60fps but actual 4k or close to it, since u can safely assume 99% of current gen console gamers does actually game on 4k tv, 1080p-1440p doesnt look really good on those, but we all gotta compromise for muddy/blury image otherwise no 60fps- would be nice to get best of both words actually, and for that at least 2x stronger console is needed.

All i can say to that is- gotta assume DF actually got some insider info and playing dumb, coz no way they are actually as dumb as their fake arguments that many of techsavy ppl can easily dispose of, using bit of logic .

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Let's put it this way. If a Ps5 pro released tomorrow, I'd have 20 ish games which would receive major gameplay improving performance increases. If developers tweaked just a couple parameters (such as raising fps cap in fidelity modes) then many more games in my collection would be improved.

We need it.
For me, I highly doubt I'd upgrade to Series X v2 unless there was something better than some graphic/perf/RT tweaks.

But I'm 100% in support of making it and anyone wanting to boost their games.

No different than phones, PC gear, or someone wanting to buy new kitchen gadgets. New gear comes out every year. Give people options. Sony and MS did mid gen refreshes last gen at the mid way point. Gaming didn't collapse. Some people bought it, some didn't.

Computer and phone makers can do it every year, it cant be that hard. If Ninja can come out with new air fryers, blenders and grills every year like clockwork, I'm pretty sure console makers can handle making new systems once every 4 years. And game makers can handle an additional hardware setting to adjust.

Is it something we need? The PS5 is powerful enough and really, no one has truly shown us what the PS5 is capable of doing cause they are STILL doing cross gen games! Once we start seeing PS5 only games the machine will truly shine.
In saying all of that, I'd still buy a PS5 pro no doubt! More power is ALWAYS better but is it NEEDED yet? I don't know...

If you care about performance, ray tracing and resolution then yes we need it. These consoles have shown limitations throughout the entire gen. Even if "the full power hasnt been used" there are still so many games that would've benefited from better resolutions at 60 fps. There are even games like Last of Us 1 remake that ND can't get running smoothly in its fidelity mode. There's stuff like Cyberpunk that is a total graphics marvel on PC bit not anywhere close on console. Can't even get RT reflections, and they had so much time devoted to make that next gen version. Even Cyberpunk doesn't remain stable in its own performance mode.

Here are some others that clearly struggle on these consoles- dying light 2 (1440p/60 using reconstruction- it doesn't look good and is miles below the pc version). Witcher 3's next gen update has RT gi but can't be enjoyed due to fps. Ghostwire Tokyo has like 6 modes but none of them are ideal. AC Valhalla had to have its resolution downgraded to 1440p in order to run smoothly at 60. Gt7 cut rt reflections and other settings to run at 60. The replays look like how this game could've looked.

Then you have stuff like LoU2. Gow 2018. Ghost of tsushima directors cut where Sony didn't bother trying to raise settings after they doubled the fps. Probably because there's not much headroom left over. Final point- look how many games that got ps5 upgrades max out at 1440p and make us choose between 60 fps or actual next gen visuals (rt/PC like settings) at 30 fps.

MacReady13

If you care about performance, ray tracing and resolution then yes we need it. These consoles have shown limitations throughout the entire gen. Even if "the full power hasnt been used" there are still so many games that would've benefited from better resolutions at 60 fps. There are even games like Last of Us 1 remake that ND can't get running smoothly in its fidelity mode. There's stuff like Cyberpunk that is a total graphics marvel on PC bit not anywhere close on console. Can't even get RT reflections, and they had so much time devoted to make that next gen version. Even Cyberpunk doesn't remain stable in its own performance mode.

Here are some others that clearly struggle on these consoles- dying light 2 (1440p/60 using reconstruction- it doesn't look good and is miles below the pc version). Witcher 3's next gen update has RT gi but can't be enjoyed due to fps. Ghostwire Tokyo has like 6 modes but none of them are ideal. AC Valhalla had to have its resolution downgraded to 1440p in order to run smoothly at 60. Gt7 cut rt reflections and other settings to run at 60. The replays look like how this game could've looked.

Then you have stuff like LoU2. Gow 2018. Ghost of tsushima directors cut where Sony didn't bother trying to raise settings after they doubled the fps. Probably because there's not much headroom left over. Final point- look how many games that got ps5 upgrades max out at 1440p and make us choose between 60 fps or actual next gen visuals (rt/PC like settings) at 30 fps.
Fair points. I'm seriously considering just going RTX 4080 PC gaming from here on out.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I think the thread title and the actual poll are throwing people off a bit as you point out with this fix

People need to realize the question is there a market for an additional $800+ premium sku to sit alongside current $500 consoles and clearly the poll shows there is a want there
Back when we were still in the next gen prediction thread faze, I was entertaining the idea that the Xbox Lockhart was the traditional spec'd console and the Anaconda would be a balls to the wall powerhouse priced at a premium (around $799). It would be fitting if Sony was the console player to release such a product.

Top Bottom