• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exoprimal will release July 14th 2023

Catphish

I think I'd be a whole lot more interested in this if the enemies weren't goddamned dinosaurs (which are even more creatively bereft than zombies). I just spent about 15min watching footage and, well...

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Banned
the game has RT reflections in cutscenes, and then you play it and are confronted by RE Engine's absolutely horrific screen space reflections 😭

currently downloading on PC in the hopes you can have RT during gameplay

no RT on PC... wtf...

but at least if you set reflect quality to low it turns off SSR and only relies on cubemaps... which look 100000 times better.

SSR is such an absolutely dogshit graphics effect...

so set your reflections to low guys :)

Last edited:

Bodom78

Don't usually play MP but tried 5 rounds of this on Game pass and I like it. Very mindless and story like something from the PS1 days.

Good variety in the exosuits but not really much there in the modes, do more game/mission types unlock?

Will play some more when. I have a podcast to listen to for sure.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I think the lack of reviews is very telling, might be more as the weekend hits but the fact they are not there day 1 is pretty telling that no one gives a shit about this title.

Will wait for the weekend before I take a look at the steam stats (I know it's on gamepass as well, but so was Darktide, and more people played on steam while gamepass community died in a week, crossplay finaly launched saving the few that remain) but right now there lower than Lawbreakers.
I think it's because outlets want to play with the public first. The servers weren't active until recently according to some article on a PS focused website I read yesterday.

All the same, I don't expect high scores but I am interested to see what people say about it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
All of the opinions above = The Gamepass effect : play something for 30 mins, doesn't "click", oh well, on to the next one, we might as well be playing demos ...

...not that Capcom isn't being tone-deaf here, i mean, they're selling this for 60-65 bucks, an online-only MP game which is also pretty much barebones right now and they're expecting it to sell ? Also, the fact that's "free" on GP but almost-full retail everywhere else doesn't help their case, this shit SHOULD have been F2P right from the start, also, ZERO reviews from the press, yeah, this has been sent to die, watch it going F2P 3-4 months from now (or, on a heavy, HEAVY discount).

It's kind of a shame since Capcom has been on a good streak lately but this ain't it unfortunately
Well said. I give Capcom credit for really trying to get into the MP space but man, it seems like they always manage to botch it. Not that there's a lot of MP titles from them but I'm thinking specifically of REsistance. That could have such an easy slam dunk but the PvP balancing destroyed the game. Such a waste.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Well said. I give Capcom credit for really trying to get into the MP space but man, it seems like they always manage to botch it. Not that there's a lot of MP titles from them but I'm thinking specifically of REsistance. That could have such an easy slam dunk but the PvP balancing destroyed the game. Such a waste.
It's definitely going to take a bit of nuance to explain my feelings on it so far.
1) The game is lacking in multiple areas. No single player campaign is a bummer. Menu UI is crappy, with confusing layout and mouse-cursor floating circle on console.
2) The game is lacking stages and varied modes right now, big time.
3) What's here is actually pretty fun. It feels novel to shoot dinosaurs, like a lost arcade / Dreamcast game. The whole concept is kind of inherently fun and cheesy. I'm mostly playing Witch Doctor and the healing is satisfying, as you race around and try to find the optimal positioning for heals. PvP being tacked on mostly just at the very end is actually pretty novel and fun, and I kept finding myself hitting the button for next match yesterday even after I said I would stop. PvE gets challenging as well at the end with swarms of dinos going ballistic.
4) The story is pretty hilarious so far, and I do want to see how it plays out.

Early story spoiler
You are caught in some localized island in 2043 after a plane crash, and you can't escape. A super advanced AI basically rules the world now and makes exosuits for people to use to fight dinosaur hordes. This same AI catches you after the plane crash and sends you back in time over and over 3 years into the past to face dinosaurs so it can collect combat data, and no one knows why. Your only option is to keep winning the matches against the dinos, or die. As you keep winning, your own AI robots collect photos from around the island in 2040 and use it to figure out bits of the story about what's even happening lol.

If I paid full price for it, I would be let down with no campaign and the shallow content available. But what's here is pretty fun and I'm glad I get to play it on a sub.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's definitely going to take a bit of nuance to explain my feelings on it so far.
1) The game is lacking in multiple areas. No single player campaign is a bummer. Menu UI is crappy, with confusing layout and mouse-cursor floating circle on console.
2) The game is lacking stages and varied modes right now, big time.
3) What's here is actually pretty fun. It feels novel to shoot dinosaurs, like a lost arcade / Dreamcast game. The whole concept is kind of inherently fun and cheesy. I'm mostly playing Witch Doctor and the healing is satisfying, as you race around and try to find the optimal positioning for heals. PvP being tacked on mostly just at the very end is actually pretty novel and fun, and I kept finding myself hitting the button for next match yesterday even after I said I would stop. PvE gets challenging as well at the end with swarms of dinos going ballistic.
4) The story is pretty hilarious so far, and I do want to see how it plays out.

Early story spoiler
You are caught in some localized island in 2043 after a plane crash, and you can't escape. A super advanced AI basically rules the world now and makes exosuits for people to use to fight dinosaur hordes. This same AI catches you after the plane crash and sends you back in time over and over 3 years into the past to face dinosaurs so it can collect combat data, and no one knows why. Your only option is to keep winning the matches against the dinos, or die. As you keep winning, your own AI robots collect photos from around the island in 2040 and use it to figure out bits of the story about what's even happening lol.

If I paid full price for it, I would be let down with no campaign and the shallow content available. But what's here is pretty fun and I'm glad I get to play it on a sub.
Nice on the healer class, I too generally go for support roles in coop stuff.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I've been critical of the game many times before in various threads but now i'm actually jonesing for a couple of matches (must have spent a good 20+ hours on the betas) It's a fookin' shame 'cause i REALLY need a dumb TPS to play but, again, there is no way i'm giving them 60 euros for this.
Between the (almost) full MSRP, no cross-party between platforms, little to no game modes variation, Capcom ID etc etc it's like Capcom actually wanted this to fail for fuck's sake...

Anyway, does anyone know where i could get a cheap-ish digital download code for the PS version ? Tried ebay and Eneba but...nothing

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I've been critical of the game many times before in various threads but now i'm actually jonesing for a couple of matches (must have spent a good 20+ hours on the betas) It's a fookin' shame 'cause i REALLY need a dumb TPS to play but, again, there is no way i'm giving them 60 euros for this.
Between the (almost) full MSRP, no cross-party between platforms, little to no game modes variation, Capcom ID etc etc it's like Capcom actually wanted this to fail for fuck's sake...

Anyway, does anyone know where i could get a cheap-ish digital download code for the PS version ? Tried ebay and Eneba but...nothing
I wouldn't be shocked to see some price cuts in the near future.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I wouldn't be shocked to see some price cuts in the near future.

But...i need it nao ! :D

Seriously, i'm very weird/very specific when it comes to MP games, this one kinda hit the right spot but with Capcom being that tone-deaf...
Again, 60-65 euros for a barebones experience with a battlepass and MTX shit up its ass while at the same time being "free" Day1 on another platform - i don't know what the fuck they were thinking

Punished Miku

Gold Member
But...i need it nao ! :D

Seriously, i'm very weird/very specific when it comes to MP games, this one kinda hit the right spot but with Capcom being that tone-deaf...
Again, 60-65 euros for a barebones experience with a battlepass and MTX shit up its ass while at the same time being "free" Day1 on another platform - i don't know what the fuck they were thinking
For what they're offering (which is literally like 1 stage 90% of the time so far lol) it should be a $40 game. The sub thing isn't a factor really. If you think subs are worth it, I'd look into a Series S buddy. That other Capcom game is coming next year and it's also a weird one that I bet people will not want to pay full price for. Those are the exact moment a sub shines brightest. Playing stuff you want to play but not necessarily buy.

danklord

Gold Member
Just played for a few more hours, map is completely different than yesterday -- more of a jungle environment. I can't find any information on how it works. Do the maps and game modes change daily or as you play more?

I might have tried this out on Game pass, but I think I'd be too annoyed at having to create an account first. I did it for Diablo because the reviews were so good, but Capcom isn't being very smart to put up barriers for this game.

Aion002

Alright, this games progression is not jiving with me lol.

So far, the 'story' mode is just 5 on 5 PVE or PVP matches against real people (or bots if they don't populate or quit midgame) and the winner of the match gets to see the next story cut-scene, and the loser team has to try again.

I don't see myself playing this for long lol.
You don't need to win to progress. The story progression is tied to the amount of matches you played, sometimes up to 5 matches are needed to be played before progressing the story.

It's weird.

Anyway, after the last beta my hyped died for this game, but today after a few matches I am starting to enjoy.

When both teams knows how to play the pvp can be quite fun.

The game needs more modes and separated pvp and pve modes. The current time attack modes might get old to fast.

Overall is not a bad experience, just an incomplete one. If the game was a f2p game it would be perfect, but as a b2p game it's not worth the price. Thankfully it was released on Gamepass.

If Capcom keeps supporting it and releases new modes, suits and stuff it might end up being popular.

Otherwise it will be dead before the end of the year.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You don't need to win to progress. The story progression is tied to the amount of matches you played, sometimes up to 5 matches are needed to be played before progressing the story.

It's weird.

woah, thanks for the heads up. I did not know this part. I can lose my way to story completion then lol

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
For what they're offering (which is literally like 1 stage 90% of the time so far lol) it should be a $40 game. The sub thing isn't a factor really. If you think subs are worth it, I'd look into a Series S buddy. That other Capcom game is coming next year and it's also a weird one that I bet people will not want to pay full price for. Those are the exact moment a sub shines brightest. Playing stuff you want to play but not necessarily buy.

A 40 eurodollars MSRP would have been preferable Miku but...yeah ;)

Also, i'm in no way buying an xbox product again for personal reasons and especially a gimped version at that - i've mentioned in the past that my gaming time is limited nowadays that in the case i'd be interested in the occasional title, i'd rather buy it outright than to spend money on a system i have no interest in AND a subscription service on top of that - last time i had GP it was collecting the proverbial dust since i had absolutely no interest in the titles it provided (Wu Long & Hi-fi rush included).

If this had a metacritic of at least 65 i'd buy it right now, thing is, there are no reviews, the Steam ones are almost exclusively negative and as for the subreddit is full of the usual manchildren idiots.
Basically, this game is of unknown quality and while i spent a good amount of time between the 3 betas like i already mentioned, i still don't know if the game has any real legs and if it will be able to survive after just a couple of months.

i have a laptop (ryzen 5800H, 16GB RAM, Nvidia 3050 Ti) so i guess i could give it a try by buying a cheap GP sub but i don't know if i'll be able to run it well, plus, i'll have to faff with desktop display settings/resolution and all that shit by connecting the lappy to my OLED (also, no HDR).

man, fook this shit :D

Last edited:

Aion002

Just played for a few more hours, map is completely different than yesterday -- more of a jungle environment. I can't find any information on how it works. Do the maps and game modes change daily or as you play more?
They do.

As you progress the story you unlock new stages with different scenarios.

Including a 10+ minutes horde mode and a 10 player pve boss battle.

Sleepwalker

Find someone to gameshare it with maybe?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I'm ready to pull the trigger but :
Shall i go for the normal edition OR the deluxe one which includes the S01 pass ? Can the items in the S01 pass be obtained via normal gameplay or is it MTX based ?

Are there enough people playing this online ?

Cheers

Aion002

I'm ready to pull the trigger but :
Shall i go for the normal edition OR the deluxe one which includes the S01 pass ? Can the items in the S01 pass be obtained via normal gameplay or is it MTX based ?

Are there enough people playing this online ?

Cheers
The season pass has some free stuff, but for the "good stuff" you have to buy it.

There are also other skins that you can acquire with in game currency and loot boxes rewarded while progressing.

So far I had no problem finding matches and only once I had a bot subbing a player that had left.

The game has cross play so it will probably have a lot of players for a while thanks to gamepass.

I honestly don't know if it is worth buying or if the game will be popular enough to survive a long time, it is too soon and some people love it and many hate it.

It will all depend on how and if Capcom will keep pushing it. Buying it it is a gamble, unless you really are sure about it.

I recommend you to try it first on gamepass (even with Xcloud), before buying it.

Bridges

I have been playing all weekend and really like it. It's very weird and unique but there are some odd decisions. 90% of rounds will have the same objectives but every once in awhile you will get a unique objective and/or some cool setpieces, I wish those were more frequent because they are actually a nice change of pace from what the matches normally consist of.

I've read that sometimes rounds will end in the two teams coming together to fight a raid boss but I haven't seen this at all yet? I'm wondering if all the cool stuff is tied to story progression, but if so it's a really strange way to go about it. It took me 24 matches to get the Domination/Satellite Uplink mode to pop up, which was really fun, but why is it so rare?

EDIT: Just played a mission that ended in a raid boss, it was pretty cool. Seems to be tied to story progress.

Last edited:
Top Bottom