• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Expectations for a (Rumored) PlayStation Showcase

ProtoByte

The wait for PlayStation to start showing new stuff - next gen only first party stuff, to be specific - has gotten beyond tiring.

If and when it does come along, my expectations will be enormously high, and I think that it's deserved.

I'm sure some of the live service crap that Sony's gestating is going to be shilled out here, but I'm talking about the big guns.

I'm expecting to see a Spider-Man 2 gameplay blowout from word go. And it's gotta look definitively next-gen in all senses, and like a fresh iteration on the Venom/black suit storyline.

It would be totally ridiculous for Ghost of Tsushima 2 not to be announced in a big way, and that sequel should be a substantial upgrade too.

I do expect to see an official reveal of Factions. They'd be stupid not to capitalize on the HBO series' hype. It wouldn't be unreasonable for them to tease ND's new IP either. Cory Barlog's new IP is probably just starting full production, so I don't expect it. It has been a project for the past 5 years though.

There'll be some third party stuff there as well, but if it's going to be there, it's gotta be cool. Another FF16 trailer will be nice, but won't move the needle.

Show us Alan Wake 2; that Wonder Woman game that was announced in 2021. No way of knowing what's available, but I don't want to be see a string of games that I know are complete write-offs.

There will be some tut-tutters who say these or just about any expectations are completely unreasonable but to those of you who still have the will to have standards: Put forward your expectations, and/or what you'd like to see.

AmuroChan

A good showcase should include only 1st party games and 2nd/3rd party exclusives. Multiplat 3rd party games should be left to SoPs.

Stuff we know about:
-Factions
-Spidey 2
-Ghost of Tsushima 2
-Wolverine

Unannounced projects:
-GG's non-Horizon game
-Bluepoint's next game (BB Remastered? Original IP?)
-New Uncharted game?
-Bend Studio's next game
-SSM Cory Barlog's game
-Team Asobi (new Astrobot? new IP?)

A good showcase should include only 1st party games and 2nd/3rd party exclusives. Multiplat 3rd party games should be left to SoPs.

Stuff we know about:
-Factions
-Spidey 2
-Ghost of Tsushima 2
-Wolverine

Unannounced projects:
-GG's non-Horizon game
-Bluepoint's next game (BB Remastered? Original IP?)
-New Uncharted game?
-Bend Studio's next game
-SSM Cory Barlog's game
-Team Asobi (new Astrobot? new IP?)

I don’t think GG has a non-horizon game

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I still think we won't see much. Not because Sony doesn't have much to show (25+ games are in dev), but I feel they are changing their strategy.

They don't want to show games that are too far away from now -- apart from a few exceptions (Spider-Man 2 for selling consoles and building hype, and Wolverine so it doesn't get leaked).

They are minimizing the window between announcement and release, which means games like ND's new IP, SSM's new IP, Ghost of Tsushima 2, etc. will have to be skipped for now. Instead, games like Helldivers 2, Twisted Metal, Factions, Spider-Man 2, etc. will be prioritized.

I personally don't mind that strategy. The 4-year wait for TLOU 2 was excruciating for me.

ProtoByte

I still think we won't see much. Not because Sony doesn't have much to show (25+ games are in dev), but I feel they are changing their strategy.
They are minimizing the window between announcement and release,
People keep saying this, and every time in sounds less credible.

Every other studio says that they want to shorten that window, and it never actually works out. Whether or not they were bullshitting about their intent or development gets hit with a curveball, I can't remember the last time we had a AAA game announced from a major studio and the game came out within a 18 months of the announcement.

This of course doesn't count the CODs, FIFAs and such that have always run on annual/bi-annual installments and so have been announcing games ~8 months before they come out for well over 10+ years. But even stuff like AC is moving out of that. Mirage, which is supposed to be a smaller game, will barely make it out within a year of it's announcement, and the Red project will be at least 18 months.

When it comes to PlayStation first party, Sony hasn't even said that that's their initiative. It also doesn't seem to be what's happened so far with the current regime, which is not new. Forbidden West came out nearly 2 years after its announcement, similar to Zero Dawn. God of War and Spider-Man were announced in E3 of 2016 and April and September 2018. Ragnarok was announced in September 2020 and came out November 2022, and Spider-Man 2 will be out no less than 2 years after its announcement. Wolverine, from the same studio, won't be out until late 2024 earliest.

I fully believe the Acti-Blizz acquisition is at least partially responsible for their silence. Ryan signs off on big 3 showcases between 2020-2021, announces Final Fantasy XVI nearly 3 years before it comes out (which Yoshi-P swore was going to come out close to its reveal) and just happens to order silence in the year when Microsoft tries to acquire one of the top 3 third party publishers in gaming because he wants to shorten the window of announcements? No way.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

I fully believe the Acti-Blizz acquisition is at least partially responsible for their silence. Ryan signs off on big 3 showcases between 2020-2021, announces Final Fantasy XVI nearly 3 years before it comes out, and just happens to order silence in the year when Microsoft tries to acquire one of the top 3 third party publishers in gaming because he wants to shorten the window of announcements? No way.

There's no question the Activision deal plays a part. MS is going to court to fight for this deal. There's no reason Sony would want to give them any additional ammo to use in their case. I can see Sony just doing a SoP centered around Spidey 2 and Factions. Those two games alone should be able to carry PlayStation through the rest of the year. Once the Activision situation is resolved, then they could do a proper 1st party showcase blowout.

Something MGS related would be nice. So many rumours of it but still nothing official. Its gotta be real though, just like silent hill was.

Honestly, I think that Sony is in such a comfortable position that they will, yet again, hold off on revealing most of what the WWS and their xDev teams have been working on. Having said that, I expect Spide-Man 2, TLOU multiplayer project, the next Helldivers (or whatever Arrowhead is making), Rise of The Ronin... plus one or two new first party IPs st most; in addition to some strong third party titles (Alan Wake 2? Silent Hill 2 remake? Armored Core 6? FF VII Rebirth?).

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Spider-man 2, Uncharted 5, Ghost of Tsushima 2, Psycho game (Bates) more Rise of the Ronin, Silent Hill 2, Twisted Metal reboot, Factions 2, Armored Core, Pragmata, 2 new IPs

Last edited:
They hired the Rainbow Six Siege game director a few years ago. The rumor is that he's working on a multiplayer shooter for GG.

I think that just ended up being the horizon multiplayer, he updated his linkedin since

jSnZ9Mj.jpg

Last edited:

skit_data

I expect Factions 2 to be revealed in some form. The game has been in development for a long time now and they probably want to announce it while the HBO-show is fresh in peoples minds. I’m really eager to see what exactly it is and how it will play, Naughty Dog are of course already revered in the industry but if they can deliver really big with Factions 2 and establish a successful multiplayer GAAS(which sems to be the most plausible type of game) they will once again prove to be Playstations most important studio.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
People keep saying this, and every time in sounds less credible.

Every other studio says that they want to shorten that window, and it never actually works out. Whether or not they were bullshitting about their intent or development gets hit with a curveball, I can't remember the last time we had a AAA game announced from a major studio and the game came out within a 18 months of the announcement.

This of course doesn't count the CODs, FIFAs and such that have always run on annual/bi-annual installments and so have been announcing games ~8 months before they come out for well over 10+ years. But even stuff like AC is moving out of that. Mirage, which is supposed to be a smaller game, will barely make it out within a year of it's announcement, and the Red project will be at least 18 months.

When it comes to PlayStation first party, Sony hasn't even said that that's their initiative. It also doesn't seem to be what's happened so far with the current regime, which is not new. Forbidden West came out nearly 2 years after its announcement, similar to Zero Dawn. God of War and Spider-Man were announced in E3 of 2016 and April and September 2018. Ragnarok was announced in September 2020 and came out November 2022, and Spider-Man 2 will be out no less than 2 years after its announcement. Wolverine, from the same studio, won't be out until late 2024 earliest.

I fully believe the Acti-Blizz acquisition is at least partially responsible for their silence. Ryan signs off on big 3 showcases between 2020-2021, announces Final Fantasy XVI nearly 3 years before it comes out, and just happens to order silence in the year when Microsoft tries to acquire one of the top 3 third party publishers in gaming because he wants to shorten the window of announcements? No way.
While there are some exceptions because of certain reasons, Sony has been following this new model for some time now. Exceptions being announcements for GoW Ragnarok, Spider-Man 2, etc. for building hype and selling consoles before the console launch.

But look at time for some of their other games between announcement and release dates.
  • Returnal = 10 months
  • Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart = 12 months
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain = 13 months
  • Demon's Souls PS5 = 6 months
  • Sackboy = 6 months
  • Spider-Man Miles Morales = 6 months
  • Destruction All Stars = 9 months
  • TLOU P1 = 3 months
Naughty Dog has clearly mentioned that this is they want to do -- have shorter time periods b/w reveals and releases.

I think we'll see most of the games being released relatively quickly, but there will be some strategic exceptions (for massive IPs) to build and maintain long-term hype and capture market share.

TLOU Part II PS5 - Naughty Dog
Factions 2 - Naughty Dog
Ghost of Tsushima 2 - Sucker Punch
Spider-Man 2 - Insomniac Games
Uncharted 5 - Bend Studio (Dev) x Naughty Dog (Lore/Story)
Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater : Operation RePatriot - Virtuos
Metal Gear Solid: The Sons of Destiny - Bluepoint Games
Silent Hill 2 Remake - Bloober Team
Twisted Metal Reboot - Firesprite

supernova8

Banned

TL;DR we'll see a proper Playstation showcase once Xbox starts competing and giving Sony a reason to provide us with said showcase.

I don't think that's it. I think it's a mix of
(1) PS5 production (ie sales) have been constrained until recently
and
(2) Xbox not putting up much of a fight.

On (1) - PS5 supply is already 99% solved as far as I can see. Even here in Japan you can now get them without resorting to scalper pricing, which until recently still wasn't the case long after the US/EU received more stock.

On (2) - I still don't feel like I can trust Xbox in terms of putting out heavy hitter first party stuff on time/in good time..... but 2023 really does feel like a bit of a "now or never" moment. They've had about thee years' worth of "meh" E3 events. Surely they will be firing on all cylinders this summer. May come to pass that Xbox fucked it again and had nothing to show, but I think Playstation will have an hour-long pre-recorded showcase ready to go just in case Microsoft really does hammer it home.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
TL;DR we'll see a proper Playstation showcase once Xbox starts competing and giving Sony a reason to provide us with said showcase.

I don't think that's it. I think it's a mix of
(1) PS5 production (ie sales) have been constrained until recently
and
(2) Xbox not putting up much of a fight.

On (1) - PS5 supply is already 99% solved as far as I can see. Even here in Japan you can now get them without resorting to scalper pricing, which until recently still wasn't the case long after the US/EU received more stock.

On (2) - I still don't feel like I can trust Xbox in terms of putting out heavy hitter first party stuff on time/in good time..... but 2023 really does feel like a bit of a "now or never" moment. They've had about thee years' worth of "meh" E3 events. Surely they will be firing on all cylinders this summer. May come to pass that Xbox fucked it again and had nothing to show, but I think Playstation will have an hour-long pre-recorded showcase ready to go just in case Microsoft really does hammer it home.
I agree. The lack of a showcase is a mix of multiple things: (1) Xbox not competing, (2) PS5 supply shortage, (3) PS5's mind-blowing demand even without a showcase, (4) Microsoft/Activision acquisition, (5) Xbox's delay of Starfield and Redfall and Sony saving their ammunition, etc.

Now that PS5 supply issues are mostly resolved, and most of Sony's announced games have been released, I reckon we'll see a showcase soon this year -- especially if Xbox does release Starfield in June then Sony will strike soon after or before that.

Robb

Gold Member
Show me some Spider-Man 2, everything else is a bonus!

Would love it if Carnage makes it into the game alongside Venom.

Last edited:

Crayon

They have a handful of major games for the vr launch, which is good. We don't know what the next big thing is, though. Their mention way back about hybrid games was always vague and we don't know if they are really going to lean into that. Of the 3 biggest games for launch, there is more hype for GT7 and RE8 than Horizon. Lets be honest, when people are dissatisfied with vr games it's mostly about graphics. Known games with top tier graphics in vr is more attractive than games made ground-up for vr. And it's a shit ton faster and easier to make. Psvr2 launch is a good proof of concept for hybrid games.

If we saw any three games with great graphics ("aaa", that's what it means) get vr modes, it would be the first time you had a procession of aaa vr games to look forward to. More like you have with the main console, because it would be joined with the releases of the main console.

Horizon was a big effort, but everyone just wants re and gt vr mods instead. Way less money, more public interest, and better games. It's a win all around. Hybrid is the way forward and this would be a good time to show us a few.

I don’t know why some of you are against GaaS or free games.Path of Exile is free you don’t need one penny to play it fully.It’s one of the best games the best game in its genre.
If Sony makes a free game it will have a high quality behind it especially from someone like Naughty Dog.Factions will shit on most multi player games out there payed or free.
People should wait and see before talking everything bad.A great game is a great game no matter if subscription payed or free.
The good thing with free games is especially for multiplayer games is you will have lots of people to play with.

Cyborg

I have zero expectations so my hype is in check. Some of you set yourself up for disappointment just to be able to complain when the show is over. :)

ProtoByte

While there are some exceptions because of certain reasons, Sony has been following this new model for some time now. Exceptions being announcements for GoW Ragnarok, Spider-Man 2, etc. for building hype and selling consoles before the console launch.

But look at time for some of their other games between announcement and release dates.
  • Returnal = 10 months
  • Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart = 12 months
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain = 13 months
  • Demon's Souls PS5 = 6 months
  • Sackboy = 6 months
  • Spider-Man Miles Morales = 6 months
  • Destruction All Stars = 9 months
  • TLOU P1 = 3 months
All but one of these can be easily explained with the launch of the PS5. Before the console reveal, obviously they wouldn't talk about most of these games. In the period after announcement, it was full steam ahead aggression on selling people as much as they could with the assets they had available at the time. Jim Ryan made explicit comment about keeping their foot on the gas.

As for the TLOU Remake; it's a 1:1 remake of the first game. Of course that would be revealed close to its release. And tk be honest, most of these aren't really the big ones. Demon's Souls is a remake, Returnal, Destruction All Stars and Sackboy are clearly smaller projects and Call of the Mountain is a game for a niche peripheral (and even that was announced over a year ago). Even Miles Morales is a smaller-sized spinoff game that released for 50 bucks.

Naughty Dog has clearly mentioned that this is they want to do -- have shorter time periods b/w reveals and releases.
As I said, they can say that, but it's probably not going to end up being the case. Before accounting for the fact that TLOU2 was really their only time announcing a game "too early". And the fact that they have basically revealed their Factions game, and did so as early as 2019-2020.

It shouldn't be particularly too for their next game to get revealed before E3 anyway. Part II came out in June of 2020. By rights, their next big single player game should come out in 2025.

And even if they do say that, that's just Naughty Dog. Did Sony not just reveal Death Stranding 2, 18 months from release at best?

I think we'll see most of the games being released relatively quickly, but there will be some strategic exceptions (for massive IPs) to build and maintain long-term hype and capture market share.
Well, the big studios with the big games are the heavy hitters. Helldivers 2, sure. Naughty Dog's next game? Nah.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Someone said the last time Sony announced a big first party game was September 2021? Is that correct?

It can't be. When did wolverine get announced?

I th9nk we will see some heavy hitters. There's no way 2023 can be this empty for playstation. I think they'll do their own shadow drop too.

But yeah, they need to announce something quick if it's for the first half of 2023.

I feel bad but man, I can't deal with a ghost of tsushima 2. I hope suckered punch are doing anything but that. It qas a chore to finish that game and I haven't even touched the dlc. I'm bored of sonys open world design.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Considering there hasn't been a showcase for a long time, at the very least I'm expecting.

Ghost of Tsushima 2
Spider-Man 2
Resistance remastered trilogy
Dragons Dogma 2
FFXVI
New Bend studio IP
Next Bluepoint game
Twisted Metal Reboot
Wolverine

Maybe some other 3rd party stuff as well.

Bartski

Gold Member
Factions 2 extended big reveal. No better moment to do it than around season 1 finale.
other than that Spider-man 2 gameplay 100% and the next bluepoint game.
Wolverine and Tsushima 2 are likely years away so no.

A new Killzone game would be great as well as something akin to Warhawk. I would love a great MP shooter on PS5 that isn’t the usual shit.

Smoke6

I also think factions is just the last of us part 3 with factions! I think they’re waiting for the season finale to show it off and will be released to keep the buzz going for another season or 2

Hunnybun

Besides the obvious:

Death Stranding 2
Final Fantasy 7
Wolverine
Astrobot
The new Uncharted

Another couple of fairly ambitious VR games.

I do think it's about time for the next Ghost reveal but I think all the above will release ahead of that so don't expect to see it at the next showcase (if they ever do a new one, of course).

ProtoByte

Someone said the last time Sony announced a big first party game was September 2021? Is that correct?

It can't be. When did wolverine get announced?
Wolverine was announced September 2021.

I feel bad but man, I can't deal with a ghost of tsushima 2. I hope suckered punch are doing anything but that. It qas a chore to finish that game and I haven't even touched the dlc. I'm bored of sonys open world design.
I think specifically pointing out "Sony's" open world design as if any other open world is doing anything differently in terms of structure is funny, but I'm not excited about Tsushima 2 either. Until I see a massive upgrade in gameplay, presentation and story, it's a write-off.

ProtoByte

Considering there hasn't been a showcase for a long time, at the very least I'm expecting.

Ghost of Tsushima 2
Spider-Man 2
Resistance remastered trilogy
Dragons Dogma 2
FFXVI
New Bend studio IP
Next Bluepoint game
Twisted Metal Reboot
Wolverine

Maybe some other 3rd party stuff as well.
Now that you mention Dragon's Dogma, yeah, that game would be great to see. No idea whether it's ready for a reveal this year, but still.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wolverine was announced September 2021.

I think specifically pointing out "Sony's" open world design as if any other open world is doing anything differently in terms of structure is funny, but I'm not excited about Tsushima 2 either. Until I see a massive upgrade in gameplay, presentation and story, it's a write-off.
Well, sonys open world design, ubisofts...its the same old shite lol

You know if ubisoft is moving away from it, it's tired.

I hope sonys done with it.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Sony doesnt seem to want people to get excited for their games anymore, and they rarely announce anything new. So i expect nothing

anthony2690

Banned
The wait for PlayStation to start showing new stuff - next gen only first party stuff, to be specific - has gotten beyond tiring.

So have threads about upcoming RUMOURED Sony events, just have some patience and wait for an official announcement.

The above also applies to every time Phil Spencer has an interview, I like the guy, but we get 6 threads with different quotes from the same bloody interview, one thread is enough as all the quotes are in the same damn interview.

Also nice Gex Avatar :)

Last edited:

DarthPutin

And even if they do say that, that's just Naughty Dog. Did Sony not just reveal Death Stranding 2, 18 months from release at best?
I think it was up to Kojima. He likes multiple teases.

GG is working on MP Horizon title, new DLC, and was helping with VR. Not sure how many other games could there be for now.

Bend is working on original IP according to HH.

Maybe Firewalk could announce something already?

It feels like this year is time for a showcase. They basically re-introduced PS5 to the public, now that the stock is getting better, and MS is finally going to have fire year (even Hellblade is rumoured for the end of the 2023). I hope they won't stick too much to "next 12 months"-like strategy, I feel like PS deserves benefit of the doubt and out of their premium studios I'd be happy with CGI presentation.

petricore

Neo Member
I fully expect to see the cory barlog's game. Should be in full production right now, is been developed on and off for the past 4/5 years. It was a ps4 game in development during the last days on the ps3 era untill was canned because vieved too similar to destiny by the higher-ups. there is a teaser of it in gow ascension, so it's about the damn time. They should show faction and part 2 ps5, spiderman 2 of course should have a gameplay trailer, and the deviation and firewalk projects should be ready to be shown. What i hope is half-life alyx, stromland (they had the ip, you cannot buy it anymore on Oculus) and boneworks/lab to give me a reason to buy psvr2

Last edited:
Top Bottom