• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Expectations for a (Rumored) PlayStation Showcase

petricore

Neo Member
Furthermore there is a rumor that's sucker punch is working on a new ip. maybe is that's prophecy game that's was leaked last year, was further in development wen was cancelled, rumors said was vieved too similar to assassin's Creed. maybe with some changes and upgrade can be finished in a short amount of time, and could be bringed back for ps5, the concept was really cool whit all that alchemy and stuff

heather-mason.gif

official-art.jpg

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Markio128

I’m not really that bothered about a showcase in the short-term tbh. With PSVR2 coming this week, along with a ton of cool games that have just released or are due to be released by the summer, I reckon a good time for a showcase would be April/May time. I guess we’ll get a state of Play beforehand though.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Tiny expectations...

If they will do anything it will either be just before or after fake e3 but is e3 but isn't e3.

I do think we have a big one coming sometime this year from Sony...

Nintendo dropping ToTk and MS dropping starfield. Sony will need to carve out mindshare too.

If there was ever a time to finally show tlou factions though it would be now during peak Show popularity

Last edited:
I never have expectations for showcases. Allows me to be surprised at good announcements instead of crushed with disappointment when dreams shatter

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Marvel's Spider Man 2
Rise of the Ronin
VR2 Games Trailer
VR2 Game Announcement Trailer
Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores Trailer
Horizon Forbidden West PC Announcement Trailer
God of War Ragnarok PC Announcement Trailer
The Last of Us Pt I PC trailer
The Last of Us Pt II PC & PS5 Announcement Trailer
Final Fantasy XVI Trailer
Silent Hill 2 Remake Trailer
Gran Turismo 7 PC Announcement Trailer.

AmuroChan

Why?

So, if Sony had the marketing rights to GTA 6, they shouldn't waste time on that at their showcase?

Let me rephrase, a proper showcase should "primarily" focus on first party games and exclusives. Obviously, if Sony has partnership with a GTA (the biggest IP in the industry), they should show that, but that should be the exception and not the rule. Let the SoPs cover most of the other multiplatform titles. What people are clamoring for is a first party showcase, and if you're going to do a first party showcase, then focus on first party games.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
PC ports of actual good games, like you know, the one with the fetuses, sex dolls and menstruation references.

Camreezie

Anything at this point. Sony and Microsoft showing some real small dick energy both trying to pretend theyve got less to show than the other

Reactions: TGO

Freeman76

They have a handful of major games for the vr launch, which is good. We don't know what the next big thing is, though. Their mention way back about hybrid games was always vague and we don't know if they are really going to lean into that. Of the 3 biggest games for launch, there is more hype for GT7 and RE8 than Horizon. Lets be honest, when people are dissatisfied with vr games it's mostly about graphics. Known games with top tier graphics in vr is more attractive than games made ground-up for vr. And it's a shit ton faster and easier to make. Psvr2 launch is a good proof of concept for hybrid games.

If we saw any three games with great graphics ("aaa", that's what it means) get vr modes, it would be the first time you had a procession of aaa vr games to look forward to. More like you have with the main console, because it would be joined with the releases of the main console.

Horizon was a big effort, but everyone just wants re and gt vr mods instead. Way less money, more public interest, and better games. It's a win all around. Hybrid is the way forward and this would be a good time to show us a few.

The thing a lot of ppl want for VR is games with depth. Full length as opposed to tech demos. Hopefully PSVR2 can bring some of that to the table

Gojiira

Banned
Not reading the whole thread but the first post and first reply weren’t METAL GEAR SOLID REMAKE!
But I would love for expectations to be subverted and it actually be a remake of Metal Gear as a open world. Really want to see young Solid Snake and Gray Fox, theres so much they can do in updating the original.

Woopah

First party

Helldivers 2
Factions
Spiderman 2 blowout
Ghosts 2
New GAAS IP
PS5 Slim
Nothing on Wolverine, Death Stranding or KOTOR remake

Third party

Metal Gear remake
FF IX remaster
Multiple Assasins creed projects
Dragon Age: Dreadwolf
Dragon's Dogma 2
Marvel and DC stuff
TimeSplitters 4 (pretty please)

But look at time for some of their other games between announcement and release dates.
  • Returnal = 10 months
  • Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart = 12 months
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain = 13 months
  • Demon's Souls PS5 = 6 months
  • Sackboy = 6 months
  • Spider-Man Miles Morales = 6 months
  • Destruction All Stars = 9 months
  • TLOU P1 = 3 months
Naughty Dog has clearly mentioned that this is they want to do -- have shorter time periods b/w reveals and releases.

I think we'll see most of the games being released relatively quickly, but there will be some strategic exceptions (for massive IPs) to build and maintain long-term hype and capture market share.

One thing to notice is that the vast majority of those games were at the PS5 reveal. Most non-VR games announced since then have not had short reveal-to-release times.

All I know, is it need to be at least a 45min to an hour long show seeing as we have not had one in forever.
Second, no indie stuff. Sony has done enough low key SoPs with indie stuff.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

Not convinced that a showcase is imminent BUT whenever Sony do actually decide to do another Showcase (rather than a State of Play) then my expectations are sky high.

There's a few reasons for this but mainly because so many of their first party studios have yet to show their hand this generation although we know there are a lot of games in development:
  • Multiple studios have yet to announce anything new: Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Bend, Media Molecule, Pixelopus and London Studio
  • We've yet to see the effect of second teams at Guerrilla and Santa Monica
  • Will we see something arising from the restructuring of Japan Studios/Team Asobi?
  • Firesprite reportedly had multiple full games in development on acquisition other than Call of the Mountain
  • Haven's game is yet to be revealed, but was promising enough for Sony to buy them
  • We're due something new from Bluepoint
  • Even if not exclusive Bungie has not released a full game since 2017
In addition to that there will undoubtedly be "second party" stuff in the works too.

Last edited:

Crayon

The thing a lot of ppl want for VR is games with depth. Full length as opposed to tech demos. Hopefully PSVR2 can bring some of that to the table

The hybrid games are the way to go. A lot of those tech demos are actually full games with lots of content and depth. Indies are often brushed off in general and on vr they become know as tech demos. The days of true tech demos like sitting on a beach or riding a rollercoasted making the rounds are long gone.

I think the main problem is that without aaa's, the library looks lopsided to a prospective buyer. Sideways compatible games like resident evil and gt will make things look a lot more well rounded, and make the set look more fully utilized. Maybe then games like wingman, pavlov, song in the smoke and walking dead can take their place in the library and not be expected to carry the platform. Maybe dropping the stigma once they are seen in perspective and there are bigger games to take the attention.

Last edited:
As long as the FTC, Activision/Microsoft stuff is going on it's very likely Sony will not have a big blowout showcase this year, as much as I would love it.

Spider-man 2 and other titles will likely be shown through dedicated State of Plays.

Elios83

As long as the FTC, Activision/Microsoft stuff is going on it's very likely Sony will not have a big blowout showcase this year, as much as I would love it.

Spider-man 2 and other titles will likely be shown through dedicated State of Plays.
The Activision deal's fate will be decided by April when the CMA and EU will have their final judgements. FTC will be useless/redundant at that point.
So it won't drag for months and months. We're at the end of it.

Also this idea that Sony has avoided to showcase games not to look strong in the eyes of regulators has always seemed unrealistic to me.
There have been plenty of PS5 games announcements in the past months.
There are more games than ever to play.
The reality is that they had many big releases in 2022 and they weren't ready to talk about 2024 games back then.

A traditional showcase will happen when the whole PlayStation Studios are ready to make the next round of announcements.
But that's also considering that Sony has stated clearly that they won't put pressure on studios and announce games years in advance anymore. They're going for much shorter marketing cycles.
I think that a showcase in late spring makes sense for them and the time is right to showcase second half 2023 and some 2024 games.
FFXVI, Silent Hill 2 Remake, Spiderman 2, TLOU Online, Stellar Blade, FF7 Rebirth, Rise of Ronin, Death Stranding 2 are all due to have updates this year.
About new titles that could be announced I think there's a good chance that the Firesprite horror game, the Deviation Games new fps, and new projects from Guerrilla and Santa Monica could be ready to be announced but there's really a lot of stuff potentially (Bluepoint, Bend, Team Asobi, Haven Studio, Sucker Punch) so we'll find out in the next few months.

Last edited:
The Activision deal's fate will be decided by April when the CMA and EU will have their final judgements. FTC will be useless/redundant at that point.
So it won't drag for months and months. We're at the end of it.

Also this idea that Sony has avoided to showcase games not to look strong in the eyes of regulators has always seemed unrealistic to me.
There have been plenty of PS5 games announcements in the past months.
There are more games than ever to play.
The reality is that they had many big releases in 2022 and they weren't ready to talk about 2024 games back then.

A traditional showcase will happen when the whole PlayStation Studios are ready to make the next round of announcements.
But that's also considering that Sony has stated clearly that they won't put pressure on studios and announce games years in advance anymore. They're going for much shorter marketing cycles.
I think that a showcase in late spring makes sense for them and the time is right to showcase second half 2023 and 2024 games.
FFXVI, Silent Hill 2 Remake, Spiderman 2, TLOU Online, Stellar Blade, FF7 Rebirth, Rise of Ronin, Death Stranding 2 are all due to have updates this year.
About new titles that could be announced I think there's a good chance that the Firesprite horror game, the Deviation Games new fps, and new projects from Guerrilla and Santa Monica could be ready to be announced but there's really a lot of stuff potentially (Bluepoint, Bend, Team Asobi, Haven Studio) so we'll find out.

Sony has been pretty consistent these past few years, leading up to the PS5 launch and following it with having major showcase events in which they flex a lot of the upcoming first party games and third party exclusive deals. These events are huge and gather millions of views around the world. I don't think it's a coincidence that Sony have been radio silent on announcing any such events ever since the Microsoft/Activision legal stuff got heated up last year. Scattered announcements for games last year like the Silent Hill timed exclusivity on PS5 adds further weight to this.

Sure they've been announcing major games but of course they have to, the games will have to release at some point and likewise they'll have to be marketed at some point, but we're speaking specifically about a major showcase in which Sony reveals a lot of their upcoming games. One of Microsoft's main arguments against Sony was their first party power and money-hatting, so It's a smart move by Jim Ryan to be more strategic in how they announce their first party games and exclusivity deals.

Of course this is just speculation on my part and I'm not saying I'm absolutely right either, I'm glad to be proven wrong but again I don't see a major showcase from Sony being announced until after the outcome of the Microsoft/Activision deal is announced.

Elios83

Sony has been pretty consistent these past few years, leading up to the PS5 launch and following it with having major showcase events in which they flex a lot of the upcoming first party games and third party exclusive deals. These events are huge and gather millions of views around the world. I don't think it's a coincidence that Sony have been radio silent on announcing any such events ever since the Microsoft/Activision legal stuff got heated up last year. Scattered announcements for games last year like the Silent Hill timed exclusivity on PS5 adds further weight to this.

Sure they've been announcing major games but of course they have to, the games will have to release at some point and likewise they'll have to be marketed at some point, but we're speaking specifically about a major showcase in which Sony reveals a lot of their upcoming games. One of Microsoft's main arguments against Sony was their first party power and money-hatting, so It's a smart move by Jim Ryan to be more strategic in how they announce their first party games and exclusivity deals.

Of course this is just speculation on my part and I'm not saying I'm absolutely right either, I'm glad to be proven wrong but again I don't see a major showcase from Sony being announced until after the outcome of the Microsoft/Activision deal is announced.
We can only speculate of course.
But the fate of Activision deal will be decided soon, next couple of months, it won't have an impact for the rest of the year.
About Sony I think that people are not accepting that after a huge 2022 the next big round of first party games is made mostly of 2024 releases and they just didn't feel it was the right time to announce them so soon last year.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Well, sonys open world design, ubisofts...its the same old shite lol

You know if ubisoft is moving away from it, it's tired.

I hope sonys done with it.
This sentiment against open world design is just vibes. I'm happy people are enjoying Hogwarts Legacy by the boatload, but the fact is that it is an open world game with dreaded icons, collectibles and side objectives. The way it goes about is is undoubtedly more appealing than the average AC title, but the structure is the same. When people were throating Elden Ring for its "innovation", I thought I was on a different planet.

When you do pose more linear games, there's always this group that starts crying about price, lack of content this and player freedom that.

Gojiira

Banned
This sentiment against open world design is just vibes. I'm happy people are enjoying Hogwarts Legacy by the boatload, but the fact is that it is an open world game with dreaded icons, collectibles and side objectives. The way it goes about is is undoubtedly more appealing than the average AC title, but the structure is the same. When people were throating Elden Ring for its "innovation", I thought I was on a different planet.

When you do pose more linear games, there's always this group that starts crying about price, lack of content this and player freedom that.
I really wouldn’t lump Elden Ring in with other open worlds. Its not a collectathon ala Ubisoft games, nor is the map a cluttered mess. Its ‘innovations’ is just good game design, a open world thats actually worth exploring. Its not throating the game to see this…

Fbh

Wouldn't expect too much.

- TLOU Faction "in engine" cinematic trailer that doesn't say much
- New Ps5 with the external disc drive
- Some indie partnerships (like with Sifu and Stray)
- FFXV trailer (hopefully one that finally shows more of the game)
- Street Fighter trailer with new character reveal
- PSVR2 section
- Some third party stuff, maybe a new trailer for AC mirage and EA's not-Fifa, or Alan Wake 2 or some other big third party game that hasn't shown much
- Maybe a couple of third party announcements
- Stellar Blade date announcement (with a demo?)
- Ends with a proper gameplay showing of Spiderman 2

Last edited:

HYDE

Banned
Anything at this point. Sony and Microsoft showing some real small dick energy both trying to pretend theyve got less to show than the other
If that’s the case, Sony’s just trying to help Microcock feel better about itself.

yurinka

I think this "rumor" is another fake, same one that appears month after month.

I think Sony will continue to stick to State of Plays and spreading their big announcements across the year, focusing on the next half a year or so (in a handful cases they could a announce coming in a year or year and a half), marketing mainly the main exclusive or multi with marketing deal AAA games plus select indies to be released in the next 6-9 months.

I don't see them announcing several first party games that would be released more than two years in the future in the same conference.

Last edited:

Lupin25

What to expect is most likely what’s already been announced/leaked:

Spider-Man 2
TLOU Factions 2
FFXVI
Rise of the Ronin
Stellar Blade
DS2
Twisted Metal
Mayyybe Team Asobi/Sony London/Uncharted 5

We haven’t seen enough of any of these so that’s what I predict next to be shown.

sachos

A good showcase should include only 1st party games and 2nd/3rd party exclusives.
I agree, Showcase should be the premium deal. "This stuff you can ONLY get on PS5". I really want to see what Bluepoint is working on and Ghost of Tsushima 2 on PS5. Maybe we can see Cory's new game? It's been 5 years since GoW. Bend Studio should be able to show something new too.

Edit: Man we are never getting a Showcase back are we? Around E3 week is our next hope

Last edited:
I know this is a bit of bump but...
First/Second Party:
Spider-Man 2
Death Stranding 2
TLOU Factions
TLOU 2 Remastered
Helldivers 2
Wolverine
Stellar Blade
Twisted Metal
Ghosts 2