• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exputer: Sony May Soon Let You Decide How Much NPCs Talk In Games

I am playing God of War Ragnarok, and to be honest I actually like it way more than I thought I would. But whoever decided to have the NPCs tell you how to solve a possible four milliseconds after you see it needs to get fired, honestly. They don't even help - if anything, they make me feel more stupid. If I need to light a torch or some shit, I know I need to light a torch, so Mimir saying "I think you need to light that torch, brother" does not help at all, because the point of the puzzle is to figure out HOW to light the torch, not to know THAT I have to light the torch. Unbelievable for a game they probably spent $250 million on and slaved over every single detail.
I loved GoW Ragnarok, it's probably in my top 2 games of this gen. I felt like it got unnecessary hate overall but this is a valid criticism. There was like 3 times in the game where a NPC was saying the "solution" to a puzzle so damn fast, I wasn't even aware a puzzle even started lol. Just a really odd decision to have that in the game.

Last edited:
I don't personally need a ton of dialogue. I much prefer games like botw and elden ring. just open the game up and let me go play. I don't need 2 hour intro and 7 hours of cutscenes. I understand if some folks like that and that's great. But, for people like me I'm grateful for a skip button haha.
Me neither, im all in for the gameplay. But I find amusing and strange that the modern age of big games is all about "exploration" and narrative, and all it boils down is go talk with quest giver, go to map marker, kill/retrieve something, repeat. Exactly like a singleplayer mmo. I like this idea of configurable level of blabbing, but if you're gonna let me skip most of it, don't waste the budget in the first place, and instead put that extra narrative in other ways than npc talking. Just my opinion

Top Bottom