• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extensive new details on Zelda Breath of the Wild from Game Informer (Maybe spoilers)

Can't wait to see the first speed run for this game. Shield surfing down every small hill for the most optimal movement, running straight into Ganon's boss room with nothing but a wood cutters axe, some sticks, and one or two swords scavenged off of enemies leading up to the final fight. Huge battle of attrition following where a single hit cannot be wasted, or else your weapons will all break before the fight is over. Glorious. Speedruns of this game are definitely going to be interesting!

AGDQ DONATION INCENTIVE: Shirtless Link

You're going to die in one hit anyways if you attempt this lol.

I read the article, man the open world stuff has me so excited. The journey they took from to the shrines sounds so much fun. The shrines sound great. Dungeon stuff scares me though, totally sounds like they will be far simpler. Automatic said there is no need for a compass cause it won't be a maze, in the dungeon they played they could see all the objectibes you just needed to figure out how to reach them. So that tells me it will be smaller, it may not have a mid boss, it won't have that flow of past dungeons.

On the final boss thing aunoma was talking about the joy of dying. Players me want to fight the boss right away but he says you won't have the stats or items to beat him, he says "you CANT beat him". He says the player will learn through trial and error when they have the ability to beat the final boss and can then decide to defeat him.

I wonder what this idea aunoma has that he has been thinking of for 20 years. It has to do with a more cohesive storytelling, they added an element that streamlines it for every player. Not sure what that will be.

I read the article, man the open world stuff has me so excited. The journey they took from to the shrines sounds so much fun. The shrines sound great. Dungeon stuff scares me though, totally sounds like they will be far simpler. Automatic said there is no need for a compass cause it won't be a maze, in the dungeon they played they could see all the objectibes you just needed to figure out how to reach them. So that tells me it will be smaller, it may not have a mid boss, it won't have that flow of past dungeons.

On the final boss thing aunoma was talking about the joy of dying. Players me want to fight the boss right away but he says you won't have the stats or items to beat him, he says "you CANT beat him". He says the player will naturally know when he has the ability to beat the final boss and can then decide to defeat him.

What I got was that the dungeons weren't maze like, but they are very much of the big puzzle box kind of design that make up the best kinds of Zelda Dungeons. Using the Sheikah Slate to manipulate the whole dungeon for new progression sounds awesome. Bigger doesn't mean better, leading the player to understanding is what's key.

I also enjoyed the quote by Aonuma and that they're not afraid to throw bunches of enemies at the player that can kill them quickly and I really like that design, sometimes it's best to just throw enemies at the player and just ask them to handle it. Made me really sad when I learned how Ni-Oh pared back throwing multiple enemies at the player from the Alpha even though the mechanics could handle it.

What I got was that the dungeons weren't maze like, but they are very much of the puzzle box kind of design. Using the Sheikah Slate to manipulate the whole dungeon for new progression sounds awesome.

It also sounds short. Obviously he didn't describe the entire dungeon step by step but it did sound like it probably took under 30 minutes, he didn't get into anything other than rotating the dungeon and moving some stuff around, making a few jumps and boom boss

It also sounds short. Obviously he didn't describe the entire dungeon step by step but it did sound like it probably took under 30 minutes, he didn't get into anything other than rotating the dungeon and moving some stuff around, making a few jumps and boom boss

Well, he's probably skipping over the nitty gritty which some of the pictures show.

watershed

Banned
They're really pulling out all the stops for this game, makes me wonder where they can go next.

If BOTW lives up to expectations, I think the Zelda series will have hit a new high and possibly create the same reaction as Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 did where everyone says "well, that was the best _____ game Nintendo has ever made, I don't know how they'll ever top it or where they can go next." Its like the games are so good and so true to their series that we can't imagine the next entry being better.

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's obvious where they have to go with the next game.

Re uses the engine and most assets to create a darker episode.

In one year.

I dare you, Aonuma.

With all the constant praise every Zelda game gets, even before its out, some of them I found really boring. That's my only gripe with all the videos, it looks like it could just get overwhelming really quickly. I love minimalistic design, but not if the world is the size of GTA with little direction.

Hope it turns out great though. Love the voice acting being brought to the series.

Anth0ny

In one year.

I dare you, Aonuma.

That would be nice.

Instead, we'll get a new 3D Zelda in 7 years to coincide with the next console launch.

random25

In one year.

I dare you, Aonuma.

Create a BotW prequel. Play the events before Link goes into a long slumber.

If BotW does extremely well ala OoT, I don't see why they will not make an instant follow-up.

Crazyorloco

The gameinformer article already mentions that there will be difficult spikes, where there are parts that are harder than you are prepared for. But you can go around it, you can explore it. The final boss is also like this, you won't be able to win against him at first most likely, so you can come back when you feel you can tackle him again. The dungeons are like this, the shrines, and multiple areas. There won't be level scaling, especially because there aren't levels in the game.

The idea behind the game is to explore and engage in multiple situations, if some are too hard for you, you can come back, no worries. When you feel strong enough, you can go back to then. Even the shrines work like this, as they mark which are completed and which aren't once you activate them.

They're giving us a lot of freedom here. More than grand theft auto games. I know I'm going to try to beat the game right away just to see myself lose lol

I was not expecting that but the boss looks great.
Kind of reminds me of Majora.

With the name Wind Blight Ganon, it suggests that all four beasts will be infected by the malice and have a version of Ganon. Presumably Wind Blight Ganon(bird), Earth Blight Ganon(Camel), Fire Blight Ganon(Salamander), and Water Blight Ganon(Elephant). I wonder if by defeating the four Blight Ganons, you weaken the final boss fight with Calamity Ganon. It would be interesting if you could see the difference in facing Calamity Ganon after defeating a Blight Ganon.

When I read the description, it kind of reminded me of the final SS dungeon at Sky Keep. I expect them to be larger and each dungeon to vary in theme/gameplay. I don't think it'd be an under 30 minute dungeon. However, those who know what to do to manipulate the dungeon in the correct way can get through it much quicker and drastically reduce time spent in the dungeon. Game Informer said that the dungeons weren't as big as TP or SS. However, WW's later dungeons took about an hour and a half to two hours to complete. OoT's later dungeons as well took over an hour to complete. I don't think these dungeons will be under 30 minutes as they will be much larger in size than the shrines.

essenn

Wonder what the side quests will be like....only one we seen so far was from the Treehouse vid which looked like a generic fetch quest

random25

How do you know that isn't already in BotW?

Just an assumption on my part. We already know we'll see events from the past at some points in the game. But how much of the past is fleshed out is still unknown, so maybe there's still room for that.

Create a BotW prequel. Play the events before Link goes into a long slumber.

If BotW does extremely well ala OoT, I don't see why they will not make an instant follow-up.
According to Aonuma, people on his team want to do a Sheikah spinoff. I think they could do a Sheikah spinoff and have it ready by Holiday 2018, if they reuse the engine and the same general structure map from Breath of the Wild.

To be honest, these new informations doesnt inspire me much confidence. Dungeons seems to take a smaller place in the game and the world seems to be big but rather lacking with content, which they're trying to fill with shrines.

To be honest, these new informations doesnt inspire me much confidence. Dungeons seems to take a smaller place in the game and the world seems to be big but rather lacking with content, which they're trying to fill with shrines.

That doesn't really seem to be the case with what I'm reading, there are quite a few surprises and interesting sections on the way to the shrines it seems.

Where did you read that? Where did u saw that? That is just bullshit you are saying here.

What you just said is the complete polar opposite of what the new information has been given.

In fact it seems to be packed with content. Seriously how did you jump to this conclusion lmao.

Unless I've missed something there definitely doesn't seem to be the same style of dungeons we are use to, e.g small keys, each room is a puzzle, dungeon item, boss key, boss.

That would a massive change for the worse if shrines are taking centre stage.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
guys I heard there's no dungeons, what the fuck is nintendo doing

Where did you read that? Where did u saw that? That is just bullshit you are saying here.

What you just said is the complete polar opposite of what the new information has been given.

In fact it seems to be packed with content. Seriously how did you jump to this conclusion lmao.

This thread ? I mean it seems the dungeons may share the same visual identity. Packed with what content ? Sure there seems to be a lot of shrines but the world seems rather big but a bit empty. I really hope we'll hear about sidequests, NPCs and more about towns.

jariw

Unless I've missed something there definitely doesn't seem to be the same style of dungeons we are use to, e.g small keys, each room is a puzzle, dungeon item, boss key, boss.

That would a massive change for the worse if shrines are taking centre stage.

If you want games with elements you're already used to, don't play new games. It's as simple as that.

This thread ? I mean it seems the dungeons may share the same visual identity. Packed with what content ? Sure there seems to be a lot of shrines but the world seems rather big but a bit empty. I really hope we'll hear about sidequests, NPCs and more about towns.

Based on the gameplay footage I've seen, the overworld being empty seems more to be based on the player's mindset. A player can just run through a forest, because there's "nothing to do" there. Or a player can go into a forest and look at it as a place for climbing trees, collecting materials/food, chopping wood, cooking meals, hunting animals, catch/tame horses, etc.

Are NPCs and dungeons really the only valid way to create content in a Zelda game?

The more I try to just accept the dungeon situation the more disappointed I feel.

I've been worried about it since June E3 2016 and I can't get over the change. I feel it's going to hamper my enjoyment of the overall game somewhat which looks to be amazing regardless.

I thought about why I enjoyed the traditional dungeons and what made it special to me.For me firstly, it's the thematic nature of the dungeons. They all felt different and unique from one another. Puzzles were also based on theme of the dungeon, for example manipulating the flow and change of water in the water dungeon to unlock new areas or having the lava integrated as part of the puzzles etc.

I also enjoyed the feeling of starting a new dungeon and thinking, right where shall I start off first. That feeling of seemingly being lost in a dungeon, scouting all rooms and then finally you have that eureeka moment and it all makes sense solving a maze like puzzle to the next room. Almost feels like a completely new game after that.

It might not mean much to others, but it was nice finding a compass and map as you could see your progress throughout the dungeon slowly starting to build. I don't know if mid bosses are a thing in this game but I appreciated them in the traditional dungeons.

So yeah, it's great that BOTW has a massive open world to speak of with things to do and see, I just wish it didn't have to come at the expense of dungeoun count, complexity and lack of variety.

If all the shrines have the same look and feel as well as the mechanical beasts I can imagine a lot of complaints directed at this game.

I can understand the hyper most have for this game. That's great. I hope you really enjoy it but I feel when the dust has settled and everything is said and done, people will look back at this game and point at the dungeon structure, etc as a big flaw in the game.

Vidiot

If you want games with elements you're already used to, don't play new games. It's as simple as that.

Come on. Heaven forbid we expect the best thing ( to many but not all) about the series to return/continue. I don't know if this new way will be better or worse but I freaking loved the way dungeons were in past 3d Zeldas. If they are simplified then yeah its a huge knock against BotW imo.

Lilo_D

The more I try to just accept the dungeon situation the more disappointed I feel.

I've been worried about it since June E3 2016 and I can't get over the change. I feel it's going to hamper my enjoyment of the overall game somewhat which looks to be amazing regardless.

I thought about why I enjoyed the traditional dungeons and what made it special to me.For me firstly, it's the thematic nature of the dungeons. They all felt different and unique from one another. Puzzles were also based on theme of the dungeon, for example manipulating the flow and change of water in the water dungeon to unlock new areas or having the lava integrated as part of the puzzles etc.

I also enjoyed the feeling of starting a new dungeon and thinking, right where shall I start off first. That feeling of seemingly being lost in a dungeon, scouting all rooms and then finally you have that eureeka moment and it all makes sense solving a maze like puzzle to the next room. Almost feels like a completely new game after that.

It might not mean much to others, but it was nice finding a compass and map as you could see your progress throughout the dungeon slowly starting to build. I don't know if mid bosses are a thing in this game but I appreciated them in the traditional dungeons.

So yeah, it's great that BOTW has a massive open world to speak of with things to do and see, I just wish it didn't have to come at the expense of dungeoun count, complexity and lack of variety.

If all the shrines have the same look and feel as well as the mechanical beasts I can imagine a lot of complaints directed at this game.

I can understand the hyper most have for this game. That's great. I hope you really enjoy it but I feel when the dust has settled and everything is said and done, people will look back at this game and point at the dungeon structure, etc as a big flaw in the game.

Can we just wait for the game actually came out

If BOTW lives up to expectations, I think the Zelda series will have hit a new high and possibly create the same reaction as Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 did where everyone says "well, that was the best _____ game Nintendo has ever made, I don't know how they'll ever top it or where they can go next." Its like the games are so good and so true to their series that we can't imagine the next entry being better.

Typically in movies the route you go to follow up something really huge is a sequel that has a much smaller scope and more personal story, so you're not just trying to top yourself over and over with bigger and more dangerous stakes. Avengers -> Iron Man 3 did this and Nintendo even did it with OoT -> Majora's Mask. It's not something they can really do with story-less games like Mario Kart or Smash, but I could totally see them reusing the BotW engine to do a Majora-like smaller, more personal story or spinoff. They've already said they want to do a Sheikah spinoff, they've commented on the idea of a Zelda-focused game, depending on how BotW ends and how they treat the two endings (doesn't that just mean a further split in the timeline?) they could even do a direct sequel with BotW Link.

I want all of them. If Switch is a platform that's meant to last the next ~20 years, then the BotW engine will likely get a lot of use going forward so I don't really see a reason why they couldn't do the Sheikah game, and a direct sequel, and a whole new game that takes place in another part of the timeline, etc. I love the way BotW's celshading looks so I'd really like to see Nintendo do another game in the Wind Waker timeline with Young Link again, but with modern tech to push the cartoon look even more. I might be in the minority but while I like the semi-serious, dark, Adult Link games, I also really love the more comical, light hearted Young Link style too.

Peru

You can't come up with any argument except 'it's how it's been done before'. To the point you're lamenting lack of a compass item...?

They've already said the dungeon-like content will be spread into the world to a larger degree. You'll get unique areas with puzzles and challenges in a visual style tied to the area.

And mechanically the shrines will be more interactive than dungeons ever were.

Mortemis

Banned
Have to be careful during a thunderstorm, since your metal items can attract thunder

dodge 200 lightning bolts to get the master sword

Can we just wait for the game actually came out

seriously. I get that the vague details we've been slowly getting about dungeons don't sound like the usual dungeons, but they're still not exactly what dungeons are, or give us the full scope of them. let's chill before deciding how dungeons will be the pitfall of BoTW

Based on the gameplay footage I've seen, the overworld being empty seems more to be based on the player's mindset. A player can just run through a forest, because there's "nothing to do" there. Or a player can go into a forest and look at it as a place for climbing trees, collecting materials/food, chopping wood, cooking meals, hunting animals, catch/tame horses, etc.

Are NPCs and dungeons really the only valid way to create content in a Zelda game?

Yes, because I fail to see how these activities could be fun for more than 10 minutes. I mean, I'm the first guy to be REALLY excited for the fact the game opened for all these activities. I think that climbing, collecting, crafting and physical based gameplay is a real revolution for the game. But I also feel like they should serve a purpose more than being here for the sake of it. The serie always has been an action adventure game, so you'd expect dungeons and towns to be full fledged.

You can't come up with any argument except 'it's how it's been done before'. To the point you're lamenting lack of a compass item...?

That is how it has been done before you're right, but there was nothing inherently wrong with it. I just get the feeling that if this game did have the traditional labyrinbth styled dungeons and a good number of them, the same people who are praising the game now for having less of them in favour of shrines would also be praising for the game if it did have traditional dungeons.

They've already said the dungeon-like content will be spread into the world to a larger degree. You'll get unique areas with puzzles and challenges in a visual style tied to the area.

So sort of like Skyward Sword then? But then that game had some decent dungeons to go along with them. So we'll see.

And mechanically the shrines will be more interactive than dungeons ever were.

That may be true, but honestly as a player, would you not get bored really quick seeing the same aesthetics in these shrines over and over? I don't care how interactive they are, if they all look the same and there's 100+ of them it will get boring fast.

I hope I'm wrong and perhaps the shrines do look and feel different as you get further through the game, I really hope so, however from all the shrines we have seen thus far, there's nothing to suggest they will be any different.

I'm sure you can understand my concern with all of this and where I'm coming from.

Yes, because I fail to see how these activities could be fun for more than 10 minutes. I mean, I'm the first guy to be REALLY excited for the fact the game opened for all these activities. I think that climbing, collecting, crafting and physical based gameplay is a real revolution for the game. But I also feel like they should serve a purpose more than being here for the sake of it. The serie always has been an action adventure game, so you'd expect dungeons and towns to be full fledged.

Well there are at least 3 towns shown in trailers, aonuma said that talking with npcs is important, and according to the guide, there are 78 side quests in the game that you will get from npcs. They definetely talked about filling the world with content, and not just shrines, but these side quests, mini games and things like that. (the guide also confirms minigames, though it doesn't give a number).

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding the Master Sword breaking or not, it's probably going to be some kind of summon, thus being behind a timer and not breaking like regular weapons. That would be an elegant solution to retain the "there's no invincible weapon in the game" while keeping the legendary status of the sword.

Philippo

Ugh, the boss looks great (for what you can see), but i have the same problem with it that i have with dungeons, which is that they don't have a unique aesthetic theme.

Top Bottom