• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extensive new details on Zelda Breath of the Wild from Game Informer (Maybe spoilers)

Ugh, the boss looks great (for what you can see), but i have the same problem with it that i have with dungeons, which is that they don't have a unique aesthetic theme.
Some of this stuff sounds really amazing, and some of it just sounds tedious.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be big just for the sake of big. Japanese devs like Kojima really seem to have caught the GTA bug with open world design, and sometimes (may just be due to language difference) they seem to be focusing on the wrong elements that make games like GTA special.

Looking forward mostly to video and broad user reviews. GAF hypes Zelda games up too much for me, some of the recent ones (excluding 3DS) were really not all that great. This one is turning into a wait-and-see. Taking off equipment because of lightning just sounds stupid to me. Just give me a rare lighting proof tunic for secret areas and call it a day. I don't want to die from something I have zero control over. Combat does look delicious though.

Jawmuncher

Sounds like Zelda Skyrim

The Dungeon Design is a plus in my book. Recently played TP, and the smaller simpler dungeons were much more fun compared to the really big ones.

Excited to start exploring and find something that looks interesting and then realize that it might be a dungeon, rather than just... an obvious giant door that is clearly going to be a dungeon. lol

Rodin

I hope this doesn't turn out to be big just for the sake of big. Japanese devs like Kojima really seem to have caught the GTA bug with open world design, and sometimes (may just be due to language difference) they seem to be focusing on the wrong elements that make games like GTA special.

Looking forward mostly to video and broad user reviews. GAF hypes Zelda games up too much for me, some of the recent ones (excluding 3DS) were really not all that great. This one is turning into a wait-and-see. Taking off equipment because of lightning just sounds stupid to me. Just give me a rare lighting proof tunic for secret areas and call it a day. I don't want to die from something I have zero control over. Combat does look delicious though.
You realize you can throw your metallic weapons at enemies and let the lightning strike them, right

But of course let's go backwards or let's stay to the same point forever, who cares about having more gameplay possibilities and being engaged by the world in many ways.

Sounds like Zelda Skyrim
Does it now

Oddish1

That makes no sense.

I stand by my reasoning that Aonuma gives considerably less fucks about the timeline than the average fan.

He probably gives no fucks.

And that's alright by me.

Where else would it take place? The existence of Ganon pretty much confirmed after OoT anyway.

I've been trying to stay away from this thread but I keep wanting to click on it- how "maybe" are the spoilers in this thread?

I'm weak, Gaf, help me.

Macchiato

I've been trying to stay away from this thread but I keep wanting to click on it- how "maybe" are the spoilers in this thread?

I'm weak, Gaf, help me.

I'm just avoiding the OP and reading the comments.

But I scroll scroll scroll real fast away from anything that looks too spoilery

That makes no sense.

I stand by my reasoning that Aonuma gives considerably less fucks about the timeline than the average fan.

It can't take place before OoT and Aonuma gives many fucks about the timeline; he's just not worried about perfect continuity.

jariw

I'm weak, Gaf, help me.

I'd highly recommend this Nintendo Minute video. 5 Favorite Things about The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

It's with Miyamoto and Aonuma. Not that much spoilers, but some nice info nevertheless. (Like: they had a programmers working for 4 years on the movement/behavior of horses and other animals.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq4PcBEoAYg

jett

D-Member
Where else would it take place? The existence of Ganon pretty much confirmed after OoT anyway.

Aren't there actual SS landmarks in the game? And the whole super future/alien technology thing is very SS, it's not something explored post-OoT. I would've figured it takes place after SS but before the rest.

It can't take place before OoT and Aonuma gives many fucks about the timeline; he's just not worried about perfect continuity.

I see nothing that makes me believe he or anyone at Nintendo has ever cared.

I'd highly recommend this Nintendo Minute video. 5 Favorite Things about The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

It's with Miyamoto and Aonuma. Not that much spoilers, but some nice info nevertheless. (Like: they had a dedicated team working for 4 years on the movement/behavior of horses and other animals.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq4PcBEoAYg

I've been following basically everything else about the game, including that video. Everything but this thread, because I read that we can actually catch a glimpse of a boss? Is there actually an image of a boss? That's kinda the line for me haha

Aren't there actual SS landmarks in the game? And the whole super future/alien technology thing is very SS, it's not something explored post-OoT. I would've figured it takes place after SS but before the rest.

So creating a sequel and prequel to the original game, a prequel to the prequel, two sequels to the prequel's prequel that follows the timeline split it caused, and then making an origin story says to you no one at Nintendo cares about it?

jett

D-Member
So creating a sequel and prequel to the original game, a prequel to the prequel, two sequels to the prequel's prequel that follows the timeline split it caused, and then making an origin story says to you no one at Nintendo cares about it?

Yes, that mishmash of words you just typed sure shows how much they care.

If they really cared, their games would show continuity and coherence between each other, but they really don't. Most Zelda games are essentially soft reboots.

13ruce

Banned
That makes no sense.

How so, if it is in the fallen hero timeline it makes perfect sense imo.

BY2K

Membero Americo
That makes no sense.

How does it make no sense?

It HAD to be set somewhere after Ocarina of Time.

Kyzer

Banned

You say "some of the recent ones excluding 3ds" as if these games come out every year or something

The only recent zelda games other than the 3ds ones were wind waker and twilight princess hd so if you think GAF overhyped those im not sure that you would ever like any of them. I mean, trust me, its not just "GAF" that liked these games

Yes, that mishmash of words you just typed sure shows how much they care.

If they really cared, their games would show continuity and coherence between each other, but they really don't. Most Zelda games are essentially soft reboots.
Just take the L and move on.

Alienous

If you can climb Steppe Talus (the rock monster) surely you can climb Wind Blight Ganon.

Spiritual Shadow of the Colossus sequel, let's go.

E-phonk

Banned

That's strange, because allmost all games are quite easy to place on the timeline. Often making very explicit references to the game that come before it. The only confusion there ever was, were the original games pre-OoT and that was solved with the third timeline.

Skyward sword is the first game. This is very clearly established. OoT follows this (minish cap is in between but isn't that important, it introduces vaati though).

OOT > Majora's mask
direct sequel, very clear

Twilight princess. Very clearly stated it's the child timeline, has the Hero of Time in it.

Wind waker > Phantom hourglass > spirit tracks
all direct sequels in the "adult" timeline

LTTP > oracle games > links awakening > Zelda 1 > Zelda 2
is pretty clear. Oracle and links awakening aren't that important in the overall narrative though.

I really don't see how nintendo isn't being clear, as most games are clearly placed somewhere, and I would assume nintendo is more aware of the timeline than ever before.

Jawmuncher

If you look at it like "it's Zelda in a giant world where you can ride horses and Skyrim is the only game that does that" i'm sure it does.

The stuff like sleeping to get back health and such too.
I didn't mean it as a bad thing.

Rodin

The stuff like sleeping to get back health and such too.
I didn't mean it as a bad thing.

I didn't say it was a bad thing, i love Skyrim. But what you said is not exactly true, and that sleeping system is common to many JRPGs too (heck, even FFXV has that basically). Games in the same genre tend to share some similarities, but that doesn't mean that they play the same way, and there are a lot of differences between Skyrim and Breath of the Wild at the core of their gameplay system.

But you have complete control over that. Just take off your metal items.

Top Bottom