• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Externals seems like a "rebound", or a "knockbuster film" until XMEN in the MCU. Also getting "Rouge ONE" vibes

Hey, i love that Marvel is tapping into obscure characters and teams, but pushing Eternals has been the only one directed to not having the likes of the XMEN franchise it seems.

Seem like there was an XMEN draft at Disney before the FOX deal and they reconned it. Whereas External in the comic were enemies of XMEN, here it is theorized that External birth (introduce) mutants into the MCU.

Also, given their power in the trailers, they seem too powerful for the MCU (MCU doesn't like powerful characters being powerful), so much so that i think their fate is that of the characters from Star Wars: Rogue One: Does something important (a "MacGuffin") for the timeline but sacrifice themselves in the process as to not affect the timeline.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Seem like there was an XMEN draft at Disney before the FOX deal and they reconned it.
Chloe Zhao, who at the time had won a shitload of awards for her movie The Rider, pitched the idea to Feige when he met with her about making a Marvel movie. Had nothing to do with X-Men.

Also, given their power in the trailers, they seem too powerful for the MCU (MCU doesn't like powerful characters being powerful), so much so that i think their fate is that of the characters from Star Wars: Rogue One: Does something important (a "MacGuffin") for the timeline but sacrifice themselves in the process as to not affect the timeline.

Nope they mostly survive the movie and they even introduce a new one in the credits.

Two don’t survive. One is the villain who kills the other.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Externals. Rouge.

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Fbh

They might be saving the Xmen for when they see a decline in sales. For now they can build new franchises based on lesser known IP, and keep the big and beloved ones as a failsafe if things don't work out.
And I wouldn't worry too much about the power levels, the MCU seems fine with adjusting the strength of characters depending on what the plot needs at the moment

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Eternals on X-men level, really? One is about mutations, Wolverine and another is perceived to be about shaping humanity

NickFire

I had the same reaction and it made me think of that show Heroes. I thought it was a great show at first, but then it fell apart after a couple characters became just too powerful (imo at least).

I'm happy for the people who were really into comics, but this post Endgame stuff isn't doing much for me. Shame the X-Men are so far out.

Top Bottom