• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extreme input lag with Dolby Vision gaming.

Pedro Motta

Anyone else with this problem?

I have an LG C8 and when I turn on Dolby Vision on my Series X it's borderline unplayable. Is this a TV issue or Console issue?

I have an LG C8 and when I turn on Dolby Vision on my Series X it's borderline unplayable. Is this a TV issue or Console issue?
It's got to be an issue an issue with your TV. LG probably made sure the chipset in your TV is compatible, but is too outdated to perform well.

Banned

I brought this up in another thread about dolby vision and peopel said LG tvs are ok... well... I expected this

Kuranghi

Using the C8 also and no noticable lag using Dolby Vision Game mode.

The C8 "only" has 50ms of input lag outside game mode so you probably just aren't sensitive to it:

I get 46ms in 1080p on my ZD9 and Switch games are perfectly playable even in a 30fps game like Luigi's Mansion 3, if it was 80ms+ you'd probably start to notice it much more. Thats a controller though, it would probably be a bit much on mouse. Kena has heavy input lag (on PC at least) and while I can play it on controller and its okay, if I move the mouse it feels like I have a concussion.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Kuranghi

I don't think there is a massive benefit generally to playing in DV mode instead of just regular HDR10, Vincent Teoh didnt think so anyway, plus he said it added banding in places that wasn't there with HDR 10 output.

Generally if you have a lower peak brightness, which OLEDs do, then DV is your friend to tailor it more to the sets capabilities, but its right on the borderline since its ~800 nits which is still really good for an HDR TV already (rtings says 666 on real scene and ~950 on a 10% window but you wont actually get that in real content so I chose a middleground figure of ~800 to be fair) and more importantly probably LG OLEDs tonemap content really well anyway so there isn't going to be a big change afaik.

The C8 "only" has 50ms of input lag outside game mode so you probably just aren't sensitive to it:

I get 46ms in 1080p on my ZD9 and Switch games are perfectly playable even in a 30fps game like Luigi's Mansion 3, if it was 80ms+ you'd probably start to notice it much more. Thats a controller though, it would probably be a bit much on mouse. Kena has heavy input lag (on PC at least) and while I can play it on controller and its okay, if I move the mouse it feels like I have a concussion.

The Dolby vision mode has been tested on the c8 and the game mode has 21ms input lag, the same as the other game modes.

Ill see if I can find the article.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
What's the point of DV game mode on LG tvs? Can't they do DV + 120hz at the same time?
At 120hz the input lag should be very low, even without game mode (destroying the image quality).

Banned
What's the point of DV game mode on LG tvs? Can't they do DV + 120hz at the same time?
At 120hz the input lag should be very low, even without game mode (destroying the image quality).

the question is if it can do 120hz + 4K + dolby vision at the same time...

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I thought LG tvs were the only ones that could, since they have custom EDIDs.
Perhaps it's only a select few even with LG.

GHG

Gold Member
Dolby vision wasn't created with gaming in mind. Honestly it makes little sense for most games since the grading won't be done on a scene by scene basis unless it's a completely linear game.

Just use HDR10 if available, turn on game mode and enjoy.

Pedro Motta

I don’t believe this model supports DV gaming proper, it should be capped at 60Hz
DV doesn't need 120hz to function properly. I'm talking about at 60hz.

Does anyone confirm that it's the C8 that does not have the "horsepower" to handle Dolbyvision at 60hz? Game mode is enabled, just double checked.

xion4360

Unless you have an LG CX or C1 its probably best to not use DV for games.

On other models make sure there's a dedicated game mode for DV or your going to be playing with high latency and that can't be worth it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom