• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exxon pipeline bursts outside small Montana town into Yellowstone river...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sorry I didn't see an official GAF thread on this one so decided to create one. If I missed it my apologies. I figur many in US GAF might have missed this over the holiday weekend.

NYTime Article

Ruptured Pipeline Spills Oil Into Yellowstone River
By ANAHAD O’CONNOR
Published: July 2, 2011

An ExxonMobil pipeline running under the Yellowstone River in south central Montana ruptured late Friday, spilling crude oil into the river and forcing evacuations.

The pipeline burst about 10 miles west of Billings, coating parts of the Yellowstone River that run past Laurel — a town of about 6,500 people downstream from the rupture — with shiny patches of oil. Precisely how much oil leaked into the river was still unclear. But throughout the day Saturday, cleanup crews in Laurel worked to lessen the impact of the spill, laying down absorbent sheets along the banks of the river to mop up some of the escaped oil, and measuring fumes to determine the health threat.

Fearing a possible explosion, officials in Laurel evacuated about 140 people on Saturday just after midnight, then allowed them to return at 4 a.m. after tests showed fumes from the leaked oil had dissipated, The Associated Press reported. While the cause of the rupture was not immediately known, Brent Peters, the fire chief for Laurel, told The A.P. that it may have been caused by high waters eroding parts of the river bed and exposing the pipeline to debris.

The pipeline is 12 inches wide and runs from Silver Tip, Mont., to Billings, an area with three refineries, ExxonMobil said. All three were shut down after the spill. ExxonMobil said it had summoned its North American Regional Response Team to help clean up the spill, and a fire spokesman in Laurel said more than 100 people, including officials with the Environmental Protection Agency, were expected to arrive at the scene by Sunday morning.

In a statement, the company said it “deeply regrets this release and is working hard with local emergency authorities to mitigate the impacts of this release on the surrounding communities and to the environment.”

“The pipeline has been shut down and the segment where the release occurred has been isolated,” the statement added. “All appropriate state and federal authorities have been alerted.”

The rupture occurred sometime around 11:30 p.m. Friday. Duane Winslow, a disaster and emergency services coordinator for Yellowstone County, told a local television station, KTVQ, that all oil companies with pipelines near the river were told to immediately shut them down, and that the damaged pipe was off within half an hour. He said drinking water in the surrounding area was being monitored and so far was determined safe. Officials in Billings initially shut down water intake but later reopened it, KTVQ.

Vanillalite

Also MSNBC has a follow up article from July 6th saying "Oil leak not sealed as quickly as Exxon claimed."

Why would I expect anything less from big oil though.

SmokyDave

Ugly stuff, let's hope it's dealt with swiftly and efficiently.

Brettison said:
Also MSNBC has a follow up article from July 6th saying "Oil leak not sealed as quickly as Exxon claimed."

Why would I expect anything less from big oil though.
I never really understood this phrase. Are there any 'small' players in the oil game?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
SmokyDave said:
Ugly stuff, let's hope it's dealt with swiftly and efficiently.

I never really understood this phrase. Are there any 'small' players in the oil game?

Yes, I'm from the Houston area and there are small oil companies around here. A smaller one then the usual ones might be Marathon Oil and an even Smaller one that I used to pass by all the Time was called Lee Oil.

Vanillalite

article-2010632-0CD717DF00000578-736_468x326.jpg

SmokyDave

Dega said:
Yes, I'm from the Houston area and there are small oil companies around here. A smaller one then the usual ones might be Marathon Oil and an even Smaller one that I used to pass by all the Time was called Lee Oil.
Ah, cool, maybe I should've thought a little harder about it. Thanks for the answer.

Xapati said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_oil

There are only 5 companies that belong to "Big-Oil" but there are far more companies out there that deal with Oil.
Cheers!

Wizman23

Banned
I wonder if this will turn into the fear mongering story for 2011. 2009 we had the swine flu, last year we had the BP oil spill. Both those stories just "magically" disappeared.

Concept17

holy crap my local newspaper is on gaf :O

The spill hasn't affected us in any way so far. Live on the west end of billings, was in Laurel on the 4th. Such a shithole.

bozeman

In Bozeman, Montana here. On the news last night they said for certain that some of the oil had already made it into the Dakotas. If you think about it, this story should be bigger and the pressure for fast cleanup higher. The eventual destination of this oil could be the Mississippi River if it isn't dealt with.

bangai-o said:
didnt something like this happen in some ocean last year?
Doubt it, if something like that then surly the people in charge of overseeing the oil company's wouldn't be corrupt enough to not bring in more strict measures to make sure it wasn't allowed to happen again.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
From what I read, earlier it seems they shut it down in 20 minutes, but the damage was done. I think like 20k gallons got out in 20 minutes. The further down the river it goes, the more it will dissipate, hopefully.

Unfortunately, as with any man-made thing, a failure is going to happen eventually.

Zzoram

Wizman23 said:
I wonder if this will turn into the fear mongering story for 2011. 2009 we had the swine flu, last year we had the BP oil spill. Both those stories just "magically" disappeared.

H1N1 killed an estimated ~12,500 Americans, and hospitalized hundreds of thousands more. The story disappeared because flu season ended and the media got bored with the story. It's impact wasn't that severe in large part due to the vaccination campaign and awareness created by the media coverage, causing people to wash their hands more frequently.

The BP oil spill is still not cleaned up, it didn't disappear, only the media attention disappeared.

This leak is nowhere on the order of magnitude of the BP spill, and certainly not on the magnitude of a flu pandemic that actually kills humans directly.

Zzoram said:
H1N1 killed an estimated ~12,500 Americans, and hospitalized hundreds of thousands more. The story disappeared because flu season ended and the media got bored with the story. It's impact wasn't that severe in large part due to the vaccination campaign and awareness created by the media coverage, causing people to wash their hands more frequently.

The BP oil spill is still not cleaned up, it didn't disappear, only the media attention disappeared.

This leak is nowhere on the order of magnitude of the BP spill, and certainly not on the magnitude of a flu pandemic that actually kills humans directly.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-04-scientists-gulf-health-pre-spill.html

Mudkips

Banned
Zzoram said:

The impact wasn't that severe because H1N1 wasn't shit.
The REGULAR flu kills between 250,000 and 500,000 people every year.

pestul

The Interrobanger said:
As with the effects of Exxon Valdez.. I'm pretty sure the Gulf spill will take a good number of years to really digest the damage done. Of course this won't be interesting to the media at all. I still can't believe there were people that believed the oil spill would destroy all the world's oceans though lol. Sure, there's probably people out there that think its still leaking at the same rate and its all just a coverup.. even though there is no evidence of this whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom