• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - Sequelitis

SkylineRKR

Mediocre game. Too much CoDified and generic. I beat the game on PS3 back then but I remember very little of it, besides the AI and impact being way worse than the prequel. FEAR 1 on 360 was better.

I didn't like how they changed slo-mo effect. Also I recall AI was nerfed because people complained that it was too hard.

Other than that it was a nice game.

Last edited:
nerfed for consoles?

Yes ? FEAR was a PC exclusive game, designed for mouse and keyboard. FEAR 2 was a console game - slower, enemies missed more, they did less damage, enemies and items glow as so to be more visible while playing from the couch, gimped recoil in weapons and so on. Why do you think every console game today has a fuckton of assists for pretty much every action ? Controllers lack precision, speed, buttons and versatility. So every game needs to be designed with numerous assisting features in order to compensate. FEAR 2 was like this. FEAR 1 had none of it, it was and felt like a true PC game while playing

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Yes ? FEAR was a PC exclusive game, designed for mouse and keyboard. FEAR 2 was a console game - slower, enemies missed more, they did less damage, enemies and items glow as so to be more visible while playing from the couch, gimped recoil in weapons and so on. Why do you think every console game today has a fuckton of assists for pretty much every action ? Controllers lack precision, speed, buttons and versatility. So every game needs to be designed with numerous assisting features in order to compensate. FEAR 2 was like this. FEAR 1 had none of it, it was and felt like a true PC game while playing
fear1 came for the xbox360 and it was a solid port , seems like u hate consoles.

fear1 came for the xbox360 and it was a solid port , seems like u hate consoles.

FEAR 1 came on consoles after several years and it was altered for them. It doesnt work the same as the original. I indeed loathe consoles, mostly for the reasons already outlined. You needed to shit games up gameplay and design wise because controllers are so inept and you also nerfed them because the hardware was always poor. If you were interested in gaming from the point of view of computers, consoles were only ever worthy of scorn and disgust

Yep. FEAR 2 was one of the first games where I noticed that a game's design was dumbed down for consoles. It's such a step back in every way from the original.

The same thing happened with Crysis 2

mansoor1980

Gold Member
FEAR 1 came on consoles after several years and it was altered for them. It doesnt work the same as the original. I indeed loathe consoles, mostly for the reasons already outlined. You needed to shit games up gameplay and design wise because controllers are so inept and you also nerfed them because the hardware was always poor. If you were interested in gaming from the point of view of computers, consoles were only ever worthy of scorn and disgust
allright calm down dude

HE1NZ

Banned
I think you're rather in the minority with this opinion.
Most of the haters never played it. Just saw that it's different dev, fast paced action game with regenerating health and decided to join in hate. But it's better than the snoozefest FEAR 2.

Orta

Banned
Was an enjoyable balls to the wall brainless shooter. Had none of the subtlety of the original masterpiece but that didn't make it a bad game by any means.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

I didn't say it in the first video but for me, it was a great game following the first one. Not a terrible game like these YouTubers say.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

What happens when an excellent shooter's sequel has to play ball with consoles and be more like Call of Duty? You get F.E.A.R. 2.

Released in early 2009, F.E.A.R. 2 has it moments. However, it suffers as a result of needing to get running on consoles, along with having some of that Call of Duty influence make its way in.

Timestamps::
00:00 - Prelude
01:09 - Making of F.E.A.R. 2
03:26 - Combat & Gameplay Changes in F.E.A.R. 2
08:03 - Enemy AI in F.E.A.R. 2
09:11 - Horror in F.E.A.R. 2
11:49 - Highlights of the Main Campaign & DLC of F.E.A.R. 2
20:13 - Wade Elementary School (AKA the part everyone remembers)
21:40 - End Stretch and DLC of F.E.A.R. 2
27:04 - In Conclusion of F.E.A.R. 2

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I liked this game. Not a good sequel but a fun first person shooter.

I like a lot the sequel!!!!

In fact, I loved the first game a lot because of the mixture of Japanese Terror and the bullet time effect.

The second actually was my game that I started my Playstation 3 with along with Dead Space (Was my Horror Bundle).

I really loved the graphics and the sound effect.

I don't know if Warner Bros had anything to do with this sequel, but I thought this game was really cool!

WHAAAAAAT?

Bad sequel??

Mediocre game. Too much CoDified and generic. I beat the game on PS3 back then but I remember very little of it, besides the AI and impact being way worse.

WHAT??

:messenger_face_screaming::messenger_face_screaming:

Worst of three FEAR games.
Pero a mi me encanto!!!!! :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Fear 2 was no where near as good as the 1st one for me, characters wern't as good, the story was worse, the game wasn't as good as FEAR 1 nor was the mechanics, i know there was some legal issues in not being able to use the Pointman or Fettel at the time, which was made public later, but still a dissapointment for me back then, FEAR 1 is still the GOAT.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

First person shooters definitely have their genre building pillars. Titles like Doom, Duke Nukem and Halo are often credited with the genre's success, but I don't think many would argue Monolith's Fear also holds a place among those massive hits. It was an incredibly successful blending of horror and fast paced action, but with success comes follow ups and well......that story is a little more complicated. Fear 2 Project origin had a rocky start before it even got off the ground and once it released, it was in for even more of a fight. Today, let's take a look at what that fight produced and whether or not it stacks up to the FPS giant that spawned it.

00:00 Intro
02:10 Development
05:31 Story (Beware Fear 1 Spoilers)
15:46 Spoilers
17:18 Story Cont
22:53 Gameplay
43:32 Presentation
56:50 PS3 Port
01:05:32 Series X Port
01:10:40 All Ports Compared
01:11:08 Conclusion
01:13:36 End

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The negative takes on F.E.A.R 2 are so wrong like I don't think I've ever disagreed more with anything I've seen on GAF

Normally I can at least see where people are coming from but not this time....this is complete crap

F.E.A.R 2 isn't just a good game its a great one that was never judged fairly in its own right
honestly screw the 'fans' that wanted F2 to be F.E.A.R 1 DLC and not move on from 2005

Last edited:

element

Things to understand why F.E.A.R. 2 ended up the way it did.

The name "F.E.A.R." was owned by Vivendi, while all IP was owned by WB/Monolith.
WB decided to not work with Vivendi and move forward with games based on the IP but not using the name "F.E.A.R.".
Monolith started pre-production with two teams for two games. One for the console and one for the PC. The console team was lead by the lead level designer of the first game and the PC team was largely led by the core staff of the first title.
To make things even more confusing. Vivendi who owned the name F.E.A.R. hired Day 1 Studios to create "F.E.A.R. 2" that didn't use any of the characters from the first game.

At this time progress on the console game, "Project Origin", was moving forward pretty well, while the PC title were experimenting so much so that they started moving away from the Alma world and exploring something totally different.

Fast forward a bit when Vivendi "sold" off their gaming arm and the new owners Activision/Blizzard had no interest in the IP and WB bought back the F.E.A.R. name along with some other IPs. With WB owning the F.E.A.R. name now, "Project Origin" became F.E.A.R.: Project Origin. With the team working on the PC follow-up focusing on something totally different, that opened up the door for Project Origin to be on PC as well and just become the sequel for F.E.A.R. Due to it being built as a console game from the start many parts of them game from controls and graphics were built around being a console game, not a PC game. Which is why it feels so different. Additionally after Condemned 2 shipped, majority of that team moved over to help with Project Origin as the quality bar on console games in that time were improving rapidly and team sizes were tripling due to the time needed to create the new fidelity of assets. The addition of the Condemned team members added a lot more of the in your face gore and horror to the title.

To make things even more confusing, the game that was being developed by Day 1 Studios was actually part deal with Vivendi and that game actually turned into F.E.A.R. 3.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've always thought FEAR 2 was excellent. The gunplay is excellent, and the levels are designed for you to plow through enemies at lightning speed. That's a different approach than the first game took, where the AI was the star of the show and the pacing wasn't quite so breakneck, but it's no less valid. Great game, great DLC.

Now the third game... yuck.

Top Bottom