• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 22 ($70 on next-gen) has a paid battle pass, MTX store

ManaByte

Here's the latest $70 next-gen game with free-to-play monetization.

EA's F1 22 has a paid battle pass for $10. It works the same as all other battle passes, a free tier with shit rewards and then you have to pay for the premium version to unlock the better stuff. It uses an in-game currency that you use real money to buy, and there's also an in-game MTX store that uses the currency as well.

The stuff you unlock is basically the same cosmetic stuff you get for free with the FH5 wheel spins; liveries, avatar customization, audio, etc. But EA is charging real money for it in F1 22.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Here's the latest $70 next-gen game with free-to-play monetization.

EA's F1 22 has a paid battle pass for $10. It works the same as all other battle passes, a free tier with shit rewards and then you have to pay for the premium version to unlock the better stuff. It uses an in-game currency that you use real money to buy, and there's also an in-game MTX store that uses the currency as well.

The stuff you unlock is basically the same cosmetic stuff you get for free with the FH5 wheel spins; liveries, avatar customization, audio, etc. But EA is charging real money for it in F1 22.

IN B4

"BUT ITS JUST COSMETIC"

from some utter tool who dousent realise that this has ruined an industry and will keep doing so if you just keep letting it slide.

Last edited:

acm2000

if gamers are willing to pay money for cosmetic tat, then publishers will milk those whales.

welcome to gaming.

Three

IN B4

"BUT ITS JUST COSMETIC"

from some utter tool who dousent realise that this has ruined an industry and will keep doing so if you just keep letting it slide.
Manabyte reading your post
dd0.jpg

The only MTX is cosmetic.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Manabyte reading your post
dd0.jpg

My intent was that the argument is used to essentially say "its not important and its fine as its not pay to win" which is often used with zero acknowledgement of the issues it causes or has caused for the same series soon after when they do indeed enter that territory.

Three

My intent was that the argument is used to essentially say "its not important and its fine as its not pay to win" which is often used with zero acknowledgement of the issues it causes or has caused for the same series soon after when they do indeed enter that territory.
Yeah I'm of the opinion that mtx are shitty whatever they are too. Especially in not f2p games like Sea of theives or this. The repetitive gameplay loop becomes about unlocking them.

I honestly don't understand why this year's F1 22 wasn't just a DLC update to F1 2021 because graphically the game looks exactly the same as last year and shows little in the way of improvements. They've even removed the best part of last year's game, the Breaking Point story mode, which while silly and all, was still a lot of fun and added a lot of atmosphere to the game for me, in the same way that it does in GRID Legends, as you get to see the drivers and so who you are racing. EA did something similar with FIFA where they added an intriguing story mode then dropped it after two years.

I enjoy the F1 games but not enough to buy them every year, especially when the core gameplay and visuals pretty much stay the same. The PC version of F1 2021 got ray-tracing support for races (the consoles have limited support in presentation scenes but the actual races) but it is barely noticeable in my experience so console owners aren't missing out on much in my opinion.

Shhhhhh... dude, you can't say that.
Don't you know that people don't like how other people spend their own money?
/s
I certainly don't like how other people spend their money, that's exactly why I think people should take responsibility for how shitty monetization has become in games.

I honestly don't understand why this year's F1 22 wasn't just a DLC update to F1 2021.
You honestly do. Why would they make it a DLC when it will sell for $70?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Battle Pass for an F1 game ?

Can't wait for Lewis Hamilton to use My Little Pony branded guns.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Just out of curiosity, and obviously to stir up shit, are there any folks in this thread who have actually PLAYED the previous games and can give their impression on the inclusion of MTX and/or battle passes in the series and how they impacted THEIR experience (thank you Doctor Hades Doctor Hades and M Mike M )?

I get it, some folks gotta' hit their thread creation and post quota for the day; but this twitter and youtube "DREAD-line" copy/pasta content is so goddamn boring and it honestly seems like folks that are complaining about [insert title here] but have never played the game or have exp with the game series. I don't WANT to ignore some of you folks because when it comes to your other gaming comments/thoughts/threads I really do enjoy your perspectives on things.

When I see these threads I instantly think of this
tX9ESHZ.jpg

Can someone (not naming any names but their name rhymes with fight-or-flight...sorta) just make an OT about how dreadful MTX's are? Then we can fill that OT up with ALL threads surrounding MTX and then it will get turned into a community post, it will disappear from the front page (ie go away) and the folks that want to take part in the discussion can.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
I certainly don't like how other people spend their money, that's exactly why I think people should take responsibility for how shitty monetization has become in games.
Absolutely. And I do that by not engaging with EA at all.
I don't care if someone else does, though. It's their money, not mine.

Absolutely. And I do that by not engaging with EA at all.
I don't care if someone else does, though. It's their money, not mine.
That's the way. My two favorite sports are NFL and F1. I ain't buy nothing until EA loses the license or start putting out a decent product.

They already gave Madden 22 away for free on PC anyway, so it's really not that hard to give them nothing even if you want to play the games.

If it’s cosmetics then who cares. This is how the industry works now. Do you earn your F1 space bucks back in the premium pass?

ManaByte

Just out of curiosity, and obviously to stir up shit, are there any folks in this thread who have actually PLAYED the previous games and can give their impression on the inclusion of MTX and/or battle passes in the series and how they impacted THEIR experience (thank you @Doctor Hades and @Mike M)?
Most of it is for their PS Home style avatar BS so it’s not something I’d use. But it’s shitty that EA is charging real money for something other racing games hand out for free.

HAYA8U5A

It has for a couple of years and they actually started with the microtransactions for liveries and stuff before EA even acquired Codemasters so can't really even blame EA for it.

As someone who has the game I can confirm that the Podium Pass is your typical Fortnite thing where you do daily and weekly challenges to get XP which then unlocks helmets, car liveries and furniture for its shit new F1 Life mode that nobody will use anyway.

So yes, to coin that dreaded phrase, "it's only cosmetic", there's no pay-to-win here. What's more, the exact same thing was in last year's game too and nobody complained then.

I won't be buying it but that's what it is, in case anyone was thinking of turning it into another enormous drama – it's just the millionth battle pass you see all the time these days. Do I like it? No. Is this a particularly awful example of it? No.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I'm just going to ask, are codemasters/ea going to add new race tracks/cars etc for free?

Or is this just a battle pass for the sake off it?

I played and loved the hot wheels unleashed game, but the battle pass turned me off buying any DLC, it has some pretty cool cars tied too it, but I don't want to grind the game out, & the extra content/tracks is still paid dlc as well. (If the dlcs drop cheap enough on sale, I'll probably still buy them though)

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
Every time I start the game it pops up 2 menu screens about some points I have acquired that I believe is related to MTX and it's a bit annoying. The game is good though and the addition of VR is really cool. The only bug I've found so far is when I start the game in VR mode I can't use the buttons on my Fanatec wheel to get past the start screen to get into the game and I have to use the keyboard. Once past that screen all the buttons work which is strange.

NeonDelta

Just out of curiosity, and obviously to stir up shit, are there any folks in this thread who have actually PLAYED the previous games and can give their impression on the inclusion of MTX and/or battle passes in the series and how they impacted THEIR experience (thank you Doctor Hades Doctor Hades and M Mike M )?

I get it, some folks gotta' hit their thread creation and post quota for the day; but this twitter and youtube "DREAD-line" copy/pasta content is so goddamn boring and it honestly seems like folks that are complaining about [insert title here] but have never played the game or have exp with the game series. I don't WANT to ignore some of you folks because when it comes to your other gaming comments/thoughts/threads I really do enjoy your perspectives on things.

When I see these threads I instantly think of this
tX9ESHZ.jpg

Can someone (not naming any names but their name rhymes with fight-or-flight...sorta) just make an OT about how dreadful MTX's are? Then we can fill that OT up with ALL threads surrounding MTX and then it will get turned into a community post, it will disappear from the front page (ie go away) and the folks that want to take part in the discussion can.
They are pointless and add nothing to the game. I play it on pc and just import my own liveries/helmets etc.. Anyway so no need to unlock their shit designs

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Are F1 racing games even popular enough to justify charging $70 for with microtransactions?
depends what country you are in but yeah here F1 is popular. for some it's their next favourite thing after football (soccer).

you have FIFA and then you have F1. people go daft for FIFA every year and spend stupid amounts of money on UT shit. I don't know how people will respond to MTX in F1 but EA are gonna find out it seems :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ClosBSAS

Lol Codemasters letting themselves getting buttfucked by ea to then ea letting them die cause hey didn't work out. It was s good run for Codemasters, but they ain't gonna last much more.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
It has for a couple of years and they actually started with the microtransactions for liveries and stuff before EA even acquired Codemasters so can't really even blame EA for it.
this. Last one I played was F1 2020 (before EA) and it was full of the stuff.

Hows about you hold your battle pass horses until EA play? Renewed interest 6 months later, income stream that people might actually see favorably.

I think a working model might be to release at $70, 2 free battle passes, release on sub or PsPlus, pay to catchup or start a your first BP.

People who are chomping for games or MTX get what they want, and you have compelling approach for a 6 month revenue boost that never existed before.

Top Bottom