• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 22 Hands-On Preview

I just got into the F1 series earlier this week after binging Drive to Survive. Picked up F1 2021 on sale. Never played or had any real interest in F1 until that damn show. Now I’m hooked. I’ve been gobbling up any and all info on F12022. I’m pretty excited. It’s completely erased my desire to play GT7.

DR3AM

I’ve been addicted to f1 21. Online is so much fun and super easy to get into. Hoping 22 will take it to the next step

I just got into the F1 series earlier this week after binging Drive to Survive. Picked up F1 2021 on sale. Never played or had any real interest in F1 until that damn show. Now I’m hooked. I’ve been gobbling up any and all info on F12022. I’m pretty excited. It’s completely erased my desire to play GT7.
Drive to Survive is one of the biggest marketing successes in modern history. Singlehandedly made the sport popular in the US. Absolutely genius.

amigastar

From what i've heard it's a Simcade which is unfortunate because I'm more of a Simulation guy.

Last edited:
Ugh looks like ps360 game minus the resolution. Pass

new f1 drivers must be like
Trutv GIF by truTV’s Impractical Jokers

Last edited:
I think he's only comparing the graphics so it's valid.
I disagree because it's a completely different game type. You're not driving in forests or volcanos in f1.
I would argue the graphics in fh5 don't even look very good if we're being honest. Talking in game, not bullshot marketing pics.

fh5
Snimok_ekrana_(373).png

ForzaHorizon5_Launch_Review_05_16x9_WM.jpg

forza_horizon_5_offline_i_online_2.jpg

Now compare that to the f1 game.

Btw I picked cockpit mode because that's how a racing game should be played. When we drive our cars in real life we're not sitting in a drone hovering it remote controlling the car :messenger_grinning_smiling:

It’s not meant to be a pure simulation. It’s meant to be fun and provide the experience of being on an actual racing team and juggling many factors like tire wear, fuel consumption, ect , the feeling of actually being part of a race team during a season is something Gran Turismo has lacked its entire life. And for these reasons, and many more it’s captured my attention. It’s disingenuous to write it off as a yearly sports game. There’s a ton of good content packed into F12021, and I hear that even F12020 is still worth playing as well.
Raycevick has some good videos about the games too.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I disagree because it's a completely different game type. You're not driving in forests or volcanos in f1.
I would argue the graphics in fh5 don't even look very good if we're being honest. Talking in game, not bullshot marketing pics.

fh5
Snimok_ekrana_(373).png

Btw I picked cockpit mode because that's how a racing game should be played. When we drive our cars in real life we're not sitting in a drone hovering it remote controlling the car :messenger_grinning_smiling:

you also possibly picked the worst shots of FH5 as well lol

you also possibly picked the worst shots of FH5 as well lol
Googled and picked a few of the top results randomly, only selected cockpit view, nothing else. Go ahead find those glorious shots that look so much better than the f1 ones. Again, cockpit, i don't care about photo modes with filters, just in game.

Yeah only a whole generation ahead of f1'22. Reference this thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/2022-pc-screenshot-thread-of-no-compromises.1626951/page-3

Forza-Horizon-5-1-03-2022-3-26-17.jpg

vs
maxresdefault.jpg
For fuck's sake, i'm talking in game and you put a glamour side shot of a car? if you think that's how the game looks when you're playing it, I know a guy that has a bridge he's willing to part ways for a good price.
edit: That fh5 image is the gaming equivalent to a fast and furious fan telling me F&F is a realistic depiction of racing. Someone looking at that ridiculous blur effect and thinking it looks good/realistic is just... wow :messenger_astonished:

Last edited:

TheMan

Somehow I have like 4 or 5 years worth of this game lol and I never complete a single season. Still excited for 22 since htey have FINALLY added VR on PC

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Googled and picked a few of the top results randomly, only selected cockpit view, nothing else. Go ahead find those glorious shots that look so much better than the f1 ones. Again, cockpit, i don't care about photo modes with filters, just in game.
There you go I posted 1 pic that looks way better than any of the pics you posted

There you go I posted 1 pic that looks way better than any of the pics you posted
What part of cockpit view you didn't understand? And sorry, it looks like dogshit when comparing to the f1 pic the other person posted above. Bloom filters to hide low definition of assets. Look at the concrete in the ground on both pics, put the side by side and tell me which one looks like a photo of a real environment and which one looks like a video game.

SomeGit

Of all the thing to complain about the F1, graphics would be a the bottom of it. The game looks really good, when they were broadcasting eSports events during the pandemic I saw plenty of people fooled thinking it was a real event at first glance.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Of all the thing to complain about the F1, graphics would be a the bottom of it. The game looks really good, when they were broadcasting eSports events during the pandemic I saw plenty of people fooled thinking it was a real event at first glance.

I'm not going to claim that F1 2022 has the best graphics in the world, but I do think that someeeeeetimes people confuse "realism" in racing games with over the top affects like super saturated colors, motion blur, insane reflections, and hurricane-level weather effects.

Forza Horizon 5 has "better" graphics than Gran Turismo 7, probably. But GT7 is more "realistic" to me. To each their own in that regard, though yes the engine used for the F1 games is definitely dated.

HTK

Banned
If you want more of a Simulator, I believe iRacing has released the Mercedes F1 2021 car.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
What part of cockpit view you didn't understand? And sorry, it looks like dogshit when comparing to the f1 pic the other person posted above. Bloom filters to hide low definition of assets. Look at the concrete in the ground on both pics, put the side by side and tell me which one looks like a photo of a real environment and which one looks like a video game.

so what part of in game shot don't you understand? the pic of F! you showed has no rev counter no map or anything.

so what part of in game shot don't you understand? the pic of F! you showed has no rev counter no map or anything.
I didn't post any f1 pic, someone else did.

I played both games so I know exactly how they look like. The FH5 looks good enough for what it is, an arcade "racer" in an open world setting. It's not even fair to that game to compare it to F1 graphics wise. One of them has to render a circuit and 20 cars at high level of detail, while the other has destructible environments, airplanes flying above, plantation, mud, etc.

Just trying to get some sense going here when I see some delusional people (or blind) somehow claiming FH is better graphics wise. I suspect they are confusing high quality graphics with lots of effects and flashy shit on screen.

As I said before, put both pictures side by side and tell me which one looks more real. That should tell you which one has "better graphics".

edit: BTW, not having map on screen or rev counter is exactly how you play when you sim race. Your HUD is exactly what the real pilot sees in the actual F1 race, meaning, all the info needed is in your wheel dashboard. Example belowÇ

article-2623514-1DAD6ACC00000578-869_964x604.jpg

Last edited:
For fuck's sake, i'm talking in game and you put a glamour side shot of a car? if you think that's how the game looks when you're playing it, I know a guy that has a bridge he's willing to part ways for a good price.
edit: That fh5 image is the gaming equivalent to a fast and furious fan telling me F&F is a realistic depiction of racing. Someone looking at that ridiculous blur effect and thinking it looks good/realistic is just... wow :messenger_astonished:
It's called ze motion blur bebe !

ManaByte

I didn't post any f1 pic, someone else did.

I played both games so I know exactly how they look like. The FH5 looks good enough for what it is, an arcade "racer" in an open world setting. It's not even fair to that game to compare it to F1 graphics wise. One of them has to render a circuit and 20 cars at high level of detail, while the other has destructible environments, airplanes flying above, plantation, mud, etc.

Just trying to get some sense going here when I see some delusional people (or blind) somehow claiming FH is better graphics wise. I suspect they are confusing high quality graphics with lots of effects and flashy shit on screen.

As I said before, put both pictures side by side and tell me which one looks more real. That should tell you which one has "better graphics".

edit: BTW, not having map on screen or rev counter is exactly how you play when you sim race. Your HUD is exactly what the real pilot sees in the actual F1 race, meaning, all the info needed is in your wheel dashboard. Example belowÇ

article-2623514-1DAD6ACC00000578-869_964x604.jpg
excuse me what GIF

chonga

The issue with racer graphics is the blurry track, given that there's often poor texture filtering and the track ahead is exactly where your focus is.

Termite

Only recently played F1 2021 since it was on game pass. Didn't have much interest in it (despite being an F1 fan since 2001) but I have to say I'm loving it.

It focuses far more on the whole experience of F1 - managing upgrades and drivers and going through different practice set-ups etc than just trying to be some kind of super accurate sim. And that's exactly what I want.

I also love that it has actual racing AI, which is something so few racing games seem to have. A car on an out lap will see you coming and get out of the way. If you try to take the long route around a corner, a driver might squeeze you off onto grass. If you overtake illegally, the game recognizes it and makes you give the spot back. It has a really good difficulty system that allows you to find exactly the AI setting that will make the race fun for your own pace. It's just fun as hell. It doesn't need to be iRacing.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
ah-shit-here-we-go-again.gif

Setsuna Mudou Setsuna Mudou So you first post a image of FH4 on low settings and act like its from FH5 and then you post again a low quality image (probably again from low settings) of FH5 and call it dogshit looking compared to F1 2022.

fh5
Snimok_ekrana_(373).png

Also its clear to me that you haven't played FH5 maxed out on a pc
He is just trolling, he posted FH4 low quality settings screenshots and post them as FH5 screens. He clearly didn't play FH5 on a high end computer or Series X

Even FH4 looks better than anything showen from this game yet he acts like FH5 looks last gen compared to this smh.

51817558260_d4b7fb6419_o.jpg

51657546826_53f783112b_o.jpg

51817190489_a11b0da9e1_o.jpg

51817562535_8630b5423c_o.jpg

51655977234_f8a8c9f4bb_o.jpg

51658412995_c32c7bf2a6_o.jpg

51816956823_b904e7d656_o.jpg

51817558360_8e99920747_o.jpg

51679340311_e3f508c4c8_o.jpg

51816954303_34604dbca4_o.jpg

phil_t98

#SonyToo
ah-shit-here-we-go-again.gif

Setsuna Mudou Setsuna Mudou So you first post a image of FH4 on low settings and act like its from FH5 and then you post again a low quality image (probably again from low settings) of FH5 and call it dogshit looking compared to F1 2022.

Also its clear to me that you haven't played FH5 maxed out on a pc

He is just trolling, he posted FH4 low quality settings screenshots and post them as FH5 screens. He clearly didn't play FH5 on a high end computer or Series X

Even FH4 looks better than anything showen from this game yet he acts like FH5 looks last gen compared to this smh.

51817558260_d4b7fb6419_o.jpg

51657546826_53f783112b_o.jpg

51817190489_a11b0da9e1_o.jpg

51817562535_8630b5423c_o.jpg

51655977234_f8a8c9f4bb_o.jpg

51658412995_c32c7bf2a6_o.jpg

51816956823_b904e7d656_o.jpg

51817558360_8e99920747_o.jpg

51679340311_e3f508c4c8_o.jpg

51816954303_34604dbca4_o.jpg

Tbh I spotted they were low quality, the guy doesn’t know what he was even posting

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

Cohetedor

You guys are right im sorry for that, but this guy made 7 posts about how bad or in his words "dogshit" Forza Horizon 5 looks compared to F1 so i just had to call him out for his bullshit.
And to be fair, you responded without a single pic like he asked for, high quality in cockpit view.

Top Bottom