• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F355 Challenge; when Sega made a racing sim...and made it INSANELY difficult. And other games you love but SUCK AT

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
This game was fantastic, it was satisfying AF getting your lines right and competing for the top times on the leader board. Absolute perfection, incredible at the time and very difficult.

I mean you still can’t easily do the three screen setup at home but in arcades it just exists.

Arcades should have just kept building more unique experiences vs becoming ticket redemption halls
It wasn't the unique experience IMO. I think people went to Arcades to see the latest graphics and also play games on the cheap. The trouble was the move to 3D made the Arcade boards so expensive and games were costing at least a pound a go and the jump in gfx just couldn't keep ahead of the consoles. The need to go to Arcades just wasn't there and if you played just a couple of games you were £2 or more quid down in a matter of minutes I think those were the real issues that helped spell the end.

I remember travelling miles and miles when I heard an Arcade had Full size F355 system, it was such an amazing experience. Its a shame SEGA treated Yu in such a bad way (the man who made SEGA really)
. I think GOD got one more awesome racer left in him

Speaking of SEGA I so wish SEGA would wake up and bring their ace Lightgun games to SONY's VR2

VGEsoterica

It wasn't the unique experience IMO. I think people went to Arcades to see the latest graphics and also play games on the cheap. The trouble was the move to 3D made the Arcade boards so expensive and games were costing at least a pound a go and the jump in gfx just couldn't keep ahead of the consoles. The need to go to Arcades just wasn't there and if you played just a couple of games you were £2 or more quid down in a matter of minutes I think those were the real issues that helped spell the end.

I remember travelling miles and miles when I heard an Arcade had Full size F355 system, it was such an amazing experience. Its a shame SEGA treated Yu in such a bad way (the man who made SEGA really)
. I think GOD got one more awesome racer left in him

Speaking of SEGA I so wish SEGA would wake up and bring their ace Lightgun games to SONY's VR2
Yes give me HotD/Gunblade NY/LA Machineguns in VR. I’m a buyer!

VGEsoterica

This game was fantastic, it was satisfying AF getting your lines right and competing for the top times on the leader board. Absolute perfection, incredible at the time and very difficult.
Some people LOVE that difficulty and learning curve and I 100% get why they would

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I remember seeing this game way back, but never tried it. I remember it being $2, so I bailed. lol

I played a ton of Daytona and Rally back in the day. I played Daytona not long ago in a twin cabinet.

I also played the deluxe cockpit Virtua Racing cab from the early 90s. $1 per play was a big deal!

Last edited:

nikos

I used to get so excited when seeing this at the arcade. It was so far beyond anything else at the time. Looks a lot more dated than I remember, but I still remember what it felt like to play.

Top Bottom